Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE TOWN  (Read 15075 times)

Michael

Re:ON THE TOWN
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2005, 05:32:25 PM »

Well I am back in Florida and had a wonderful time. Thanks to Ben and Larry for being wonderful hosts. I want to come back to NYC real soon and spend so more wonderful time with them. Met up with an my old friend Gary who joined the gang at Angus. I will now catch up on the notes and post some wonderful photos from the reading. There is also a video which I will have dubbed onto a DVD later on in the week when I return to work. For the nest two days I will enjoy the company of my neice, nephew and sister who are visiting for the next week.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 08:04:55 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2005, 05:55:32 PM »

Rodzinski HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JRand it is my mind I have lost, not the video. :-[ ::)

Jane

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2005, 05:58:28 PM »

DR Jane - A lot of the places I listed offer small bites and portions of food.  So...  However, whatever you don't finish, I'd be more than happy to consume.  Waste not, want not.  Waist not, walk more!

LOL-you will be doing a lot of consuming, but then I'm sure you can handle it. ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »

Had a wonderful chat with DR Elmore this afternoon...he filled me in on all the goings on this weekend! What a great time I missed!

I tell you as soon as that Blue Airline comes to Oregon I will be planning my own journey to the big apple!!!

Jane

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »

François thank you for the very interesting stories of Rosemary Clooney and Debby Boone.  I also just happened to be listening to my new Rosemary Clooney Memories of You CD.

MBarnum, not much of interest arrived in the mail yesterday.

Elmore I feel the same way about Lee Remick.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »

Dr George, the weather here in Salem has been very windy also...my back yard looks like the aftermath of one hell of a party! One which I wasn't invited to but that I have to clean up after  >:(

;D ;D  It is also windy and chilly here with rain on and off.

Penny should do her show at the Ashland Cabaret Theater.  She has done it in Seattle.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2005, 06:20:16 PM »

Sww & DeBrucer congratulations on finding Benny a happy home.  Thanks to you both he will make a good addition to their family.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2005, 06:25:13 PM »

MBarnum, not much of interest arrived in the mail yesterday.

Uh, oh...then either the mail is awfully slow between Salem and Ashland or something has gone terribly awry!

Hmmm...I was hoping to help you get your Peter Brown fix! Maybe tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2005, 06:28:30 PM »

I'm VERY tired, but managed to get through The Incredibles without falling asleep.  I'm going to upload the photos I took and see if I can post them.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2005, 06:33:28 PM »

Not only was it extremely windy in Portland last night (and today), the power went off last night.  I discovered quite by accident that if one peruses HHW at 2:00 a.m. PST, one is quite alone in the world.   :'(  Shortly thereafter, the power went off.  Are the two related?

This morning when I drove to my church gig, there were branches all over the road.  Going up Bull Mtn. Rd. in Tigard was a total challenge--there were huge piles of debris everywhere that I did not want to drive over.

May I just say that I am totally outraged at this pandering Republican attempt to inject itself into the Terry Schaivo case.  These self-righteous a**holes who rant and rave about individual responsibility and states' rights until it's not going their way just totally appall me.  Thank you for letting me vent
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 06:33:59 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2005, 06:34:46 PM »

I, too, am very tired, BK.  I only got about 4 hours' sleep last night and then was up at the crack of dawn to play two music-intensive Palm Sunday services.  Even a nap this afternoon hasn't helped much.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2005, 06:36:53 PM »

Good Evening!

I just got back from a wonderful dinner with DR WFO and his ever lovin' Joe.  We met at Barrymore's, and were waited on by the one and only waiter who was working tonight - working ALL the tables.  Thankfully, they weren't at all busy, so the service was not too lax.

We had a wonderful time talking and catching up on things.  And it DR WFO jogged my memory in a big way.  He mentioned that we had tried to meet for dinner sometime before, when I was in town for some Sunday In The Park with George auditions.  Hmm...  Well, the last time I played auditions for that show was for Arena Stage... Back in 1996!  WOW!!

On the subway ride back up to Washington Heights all the details started coming back to me...  I was up here for a week...  The audition schedule was changed once we got up here...  We had to cut one off the schedule at the last minute... And because of that, I also lost a hotel stay day...  And that, of course, was the evening that we were supposed to meet for dinner.

So tonight's dinner ended up making up for the one that got postponed almost nine years ago!  WOW!

It was well worth the wait.  And Thank You, Will and Joe for dinner.  *And, hopefully, I'll have some good news for you in the morning.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2005, 06:41:27 PM »

Here are some photos:  First, our signing partay, taken at the very end when some people had already left.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »

Here is our very own dear reader Jenny, me, and her pal Liz (on the left - I'm in the middle in my new coat).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

Here is dear reader elmore with my NY assistant, Jonathan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »

Here is PennyO, sitting at the head of the table at our partay.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2005, 06:44:57 PM »

Good Evening!  Part Two!

Well, lo and behold, we had a wonderful matinee today.  Great house.  There was a father with his three teenage girls who came to see the show.  During the Q&A, he asked Penny for any advice she could give them in regards to pursuing a career in show business.  Penny was very gracious and funny, and basically said, "Follow Your Heart."

It was a great way to finish out a most wonderful week of shows, and a great follow up to last night's great show and post-show gathering.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »

From left to right: Jose, Rodzinski, Rodzinski's beautiful girlfriend (her name just won't come into my head - forgive me), William F. Orr and his ever-lovin' Joe.  In the foreground is vixmom's DH.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2005, 06:48:44 PM »

Good Evening!  Part Three!

And, yes, I found the bakery I passed yesterday.  I picked up a sfinge and sfogliatelle.  Sadly, there were out of zeppole.  Ah, well..   Next St. Joseph's Day.

;)

-And the sfinge was amazing - true decadence!  Puff pastry filled with gobs of chocolate-chip cannoli  filling, and garnished with a strip of candied orange peel.

...The sfogliatelle awaits...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2005, 06:49:31 PM »

Oh, sweet fat gut o' mine! I am loaded with food. The mushroom steaks at Rosa Mexicano were excellent. We were so full after dinner, all I wanted was a Twix. There is a new dark chocolate version out right now.

The miracle of low expectations. ALL SHOOK UP, the Elvis musical, was really one of the more entertaining shows I've seen of recent vintage. Now I'm a cynical theatre goer, but the cast was really talented and skilled. The book was much better than I had the right to expect. The lead guy was just a star in the making. Great comic presence. The arrangements were enjoyable. The songs were not over-sung in the current Broadway tradition, just on the mark. I also liked that many of the Elvis songs used are not the most commonly heard ones. All told, a fine entertainment that will probably be critic-proof. The audience was totally enthralled.

The only quibble was one I often have. It seems every musical comedy must feature a large-sized black lady who sings one gospel-ized "showstopper". It just seems like a cliche to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2005, 06:54:06 PM »

As for tomorrow...

I have to do laundry, but I'm leaning very heavily towards dropping it off at the wash 'n' fold around the corner.  I only have one Gristede's bag each of whites, colors and blacks.  So...  We'll see.

I may just make tomorrow another free-form day.  However, I'm thinking of taking the A Train down to 125th and walking around Harlem (just like in the song!) for a while.  I never explored the neighborhood.

Then head downtown for a bit.

Then call DR elmore.  ;)

Etc., etc., etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2005, 06:55:48 PM »

Oh, sweet fat gut o' mine! I am loaded with food. The mushroom steaks at Rosa Mexicano were excellent. We were so full after dinner, all I wanted was a Twix. There is a new dark chocolate version out right now.

The miracle of low expectations. ALL SHOOK UP, the Elvis musical, was really one of the more entertaining shows I've seen of recent vintage. Now I'm a cynical theatre goer, but the cast was really talented and skilled. The book was much better than I had the right to expect. The lead guy was just a star in the making. Great comic presence. The arrangements were enjoyable. The songs were not over-sung in the current Broadway tradition, just on the mark. I also liked that many of the Elvis songs used are not the most commonly heard ones. All told, a fine entertainment that will probably be critic-proof. The audience was totally enthralled.

The only quibble was one I often have. It seems every musical comedy must feature a large-sized black lady who sings one gospel-ized "showstopper". It just seems like a cliche to me.

Did you like my buddy, Mark Price?  He plays the nerdy second-lead.  -Hmm... Maybe I will try to see that Tuesday night or Wednesday afternoon....
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »

Dag-nab it.  That means I have to take out the black psychiatric nurse's big belter in Act II of Starcrossed:  "Jesus Has The Key to Unlock Your Straitjacket."   >:(

JMK

« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2005, 06:57:25 PM »

Which, of course, Beyonce sang (in Swahili) on the Oscars.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

I just tried to post a photo and it wouldn't take.  Someone else try so I know if it's the site or something I did wrong in converting the photo.  I've written Mr. Mark Bakalor and asked him to do a photo purge, but if you're a regular photo poster it wouldn't hurt to go nuke some earlier stuff.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2005, 06:58:22 PM »

...And glad you had a wonderful Birthday Dinner!

¡Feliz Cumpleaños!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2005, 06:59:42 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  

One of our GUESTS is someone named Vernal Equinox.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2005, 07:01:43 PM »

I just got off the phone with Danise.  She didn’t go ice skating today due to the weather and plans to go tomorrow.

Rodzinski she sends you birthday wishes.

Jose, Danise can only post but not really read them so I passed your message regarding tomorrow along to her.  She doesn’t have your phone number.  If you want her room number at the hotel email me.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2005, 07:02:48 PM »

He is quite funny as well. All the leads were near perfect. The beauty of the book is that it never takes itself seriously.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2005, 07:08:17 PM »

Jose, Danise can only post but not really read them so I passed your message regarding tomorrow along to her.  She doesn’t have your phone number.  If you want her room number at the hotel email me.  

Thanks for the update/info.  I have her cell phone, and I'll try her in the morning.  Hmm... Jose on ice skates.  Not!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up