Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS  (Read 13706 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BREAKING NEWS
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 07:45:43 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day - did you ever watch any particular soap opera?  If so, why this particular one....did you ever audition for a soap opera or get involved in writing for one for any length of time?  I don't see this information on DR MS's site, but I may have missed it.

I've never seen a full episode of a soap, I've never auditioned for a soap, and I've never written for a soap.  I never even did a soap commercial.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 07:49:45 AM »

We had to do TV loops for The Creature Wasn't Nice/Spaceship/Naked Space.  They were hilarious.  Yet, when the film was shown on one of the cable stations (can't remember which - one with commercials, like TBS, if that's a station) they didn't use them, they just bleeped the words.  My favorite was the running "Holy shit".  I really wanted something that would match the mouth movements of "Holy shit".  We came up with, "Holy cheese".  It was really funny to hear, and I almost prefer it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 07:50:05 AM »

The other one was, "Who gives a cheese?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 07:51:07 AM »

I was having most peculiar dreams, and when I woke up my pillow was gone.

Floor Men should be here shortly.

The garbage trucks are out this morning, earlier than they've ever been.  They started at seven.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 07:54:37 AM »

I noticed LADY IN A CAGE comes out next week. I have ordered my copy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 08:44:14 AM »

Last night's American Idol:

The 3 Stooges were, again (for me), totally worthless opinionaters.

First, and foremost, the performance of the evening was, IMO, Bo Bice who sang a sensitive, beautifully nuanced "Time in A Bottle" and displayed a range -- and vocal ability -- heretofore unsuspected.  I was astonished and captivated.  It's still the ONLY performance of the evening I can recall with perfect clarity.

The 3 Stooges were dismissive.  Uh-huh.  Randy complained Bo's song choice didn't give him a change to show his range.  Uh-huh.  Never mind that Bo has amply displayed his "range" each week in over-the-top rampages of rock, but last night he delivered a song beautifully -- crystalline lower notes superbly voiced and with projection.  It was an amazing delivery.  Paula was all gushy and gooey and echoed virtually everything Randy said.  She was all kissy or chokey with Simon.  The woman has a substance abuse problem, is my guess.  Last night, she was using.  Simon was typically biased and dismissive and totally without an ear for vocal merit.

Can the American public be listening to their spewings?

Second best for me last night was Jessica who sang, a little too closely to the original, "Total Eclipse of the Heart"...but it was impassioned and well sung.

Third was Constantine with his surprising rendition of "I Think I Love You."  For good or ill, this bubblegum song seems forever associated with The Partridge Family," but Constantine made it different and sang it very, very well.  

The rest were pretty good, with two exceptions.  Nikko continues to disappoint me.  And somebody please...just shoot me....or her....but NO MORE MYKALAH!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 10:13:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 08:45:03 AM »

Breaking HHW Dream News:  Last night I dreamt I was at Manderley and there was an HHW connection.  My whole family was at a clothing store which was evidently having a sale.  We all had armfuls of clothes.  We were upstairs at a two-floor store.  Suddenly there was a political gathering taking place there and a lady was giving a speech.  I turned to Betsy and said this would be a good time to sneak downstairs and pay, since everyone was listening to the politician give her speech.  So I went downstairs and there were a few people in line already.  As I waited a tall African American salesman came up to an empty cash register and motioned me over, and as he did he pulled out a copy of Daily Variety and set it on the counter.  There in a bold headline to the left of the Variety logo I read:

DR LARRY ELMORE!!

(Yes, in my dream, it said "DR Larry Elmore".  I know it's redundant, complain to my subsconscious).

I asked the clerk if I could look at the paper since DR Larry Elmore was a friend of mine.  The clerk got quite snooty and said in an uppity voice, "Well, I guess so."  So I took the paper and started looking for the article at which point....

I woke up.

Freudian analysis welcome.  As long as it's free.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:47:21 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »

Floor Men are done, dresser and carpet are back where they should be, and all is well in the City of Studio.  EXCEPT - apparently there is yet another storm on its way.  This has GOT to stop.  It is now official - this is the worst rain the state of California has ever had in its entire history.  We beat the previous record of 37 inches in 1887 or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

JMK

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 09:00:34 AM »

We beat the previous record of 37 inches in 1887 or something.

Aw, you're just a weather wimp.  37 inches is a drizzle in Oregon.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »

You know how the Eskimos have something like 40 different words for snow?  Well if you want to hear various euphemisms/descriptions for rain, move to Oregon.  We're still trying to figure the difference between "intermittent showers," "scattered showers," "partly cloudly," "partly sunny," and "torrential downpour."  :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2005, 09:08:52 AM »

Anthony is under serious consideration for Van Buren, the coach, who gets to sing Heart.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~GOOD LUCK VIBES TO ANTHONY~~~~~[/move]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »

You know how the Eskimos have something like 40 different words for snow?  

SNOW! Don't speak to me of snow... I am looking out the window of my office and let me tell you, I have a few words of my own for the stuff I see falling from the sky.... >:(

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »

I agree that the judges were worse than useless last night on IDOL. Bo has clearly shown he has a voice, can rock, can perform. How GREAT that he did a quiet, effective rendering of a song. They acknowledged he has "it," but they were dismissive of the song choice. Every week can't be a blockbuster-vocal chord scorcher. I LIKE that he's mixing it up. They're too dense to recognize it.

I thought Nikko's rendition last night was the best he's done since IDOL started. I still don't like his voice much, but for him it was the best I think he can do.

I was not swept away by Jessica, but she did reasonably well. Anwar once again did the slow start and build to a sock finish which he has done every single week. There's someone who needs to start mixing it up a bit.

That Partridge Family song that Constantine did had been given a funky, sort of Gothic arrangement (with minor keys modulating into major keys). I didn't think that arrangement did him any favors, but I understood why they didn't want to just redo the bubble gum sound that David Cassidy had with it originally.

I thought the one who betrayed her pristine performance tally last night was Nadia. I thought her Cyndy Lauper song was just terrible FOR HER. She has the voice to not completely butcher anything she does, but it was her weakest outing yet for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »

You know how the Eskimos have something like 40 different words for snow?  Well if you want to hear various euphemisms/descriptions for rain, move to Oregon.  We're still trying to figure the difference between "intermittent showers," "scattered showers," "partly cloudly," "partly sunny," and "torrential downpour."  :)

I'd read several years ago that, meteorologically speaking, "partly cloudy" and "partly sunny" are the exact same thing...the glass is half full/half empty kinda thing. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 09:15:53 AM »

Well, I see now why they predicted near 70 degree temperatures today. What started as a dreary damp day is turning into a marvelous spring afternoon.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »

I've never seen Disney's "Peter Pan" but I've been in a production of the Moose Charlap, et al. Peter Pan.  I played Jukes, the first pirate to get killed, and had a great time.  But the score just doesn't do anything for me.  It's not that I don't like it, but I guess I'm just sort of ambivalent about it. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »

I also agree that Paula was definitely on something last night. And it is REALLY irritating that she almost never lets Simon finish a thought, especially if he sounds like he's going to be negative. She just immediately starts arguing with his points without letting him complete the thought.

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 09:20:03 AM »

My "ask BK" question, Is  "Finding Neverland" appropriate to watch with the Vixter? Since she got cast as an Indian in Peter Pan the other day, she is anxious to see it.

She also has just started reading "Peter and The Starcatchers" which is a  new "prequel" to Peter Pan written by Dave Barry and someone else whose name  eludes me, although if I wasn't so lazy I could go over to Amazon.com and find out....

I have fond memories of the b & w  Mary Martin version of Peter Pan that used to show on the TV when I was a little girl in the ealy 60's.  I definitely like the Disney version.  I haven't been so fond of any of the other movie versions I've seen recently and I particularly despised  "Hook"

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 09:21:09 AM »

Well, I see now why they predicted near 70 degree temperatures today. What started as a dreary damp day is turning into a marvelous spring afternoon.

Oh shuttup  ;D

JMK

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2005, 09:28:23 AM »

I've never seen Disney's "Peter Pan" but I've been in a production of the Moose Charlap, et al. Peter Pan.  I played Jukes, the first pirate to get killed, and had a great time.  But the score just doesn't do anything for me.  It's not that I don't like it, but I guess I'm just sort of ambivalent about it. :-\

I was the keyboardist (and "voice" of Tinkerbell) in Portland's hugely expensive production of two summers ago.  It was the farewell performance of Portland's answer to Mary Martin/Cathy Rigby, Adair Chappell (who, by the way, sings Judy Garland on my demo for Starcrossed).  This production had all the sets and costumes from the Rigby touring show and was opulent, to say the least.  I think it was capitalized at close to 200K.  30 piece orchestra, huge cast, the works.  I actually love the score, but, oy, the conductor's book (which I played from, since I was also the rehearsal pianist and vocal coach) is a nightmare.  That show has been revised, baby.  There are still the original handwritten notes from the first telecast on some pages.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2005, 09:33:36 AM »

But you do use soap?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »

The Mary Martin PETER PAN was at one time available on DVD (I have it). Cathy Rigby's revival is also available.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »

So, Danise, the day after you get back to Florida is the day we have snow flurries! What did you do to our weather system???  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2005, 09:50:15 AM »

I also agree that Paula was definitely on something last night. And it is REALLY irritating that she almost never lets Simon finish a thought, especially if he sounds like he's going to be negative. She just immediately starts arguing with his points without letting him complete the thought.

A co-worker suggested to me this morning that it may be because she's under a lot of stress...and maybe she's on anxiety meds or something...because of her hit-run court case.

Whatever it is, she doesn't really seem in control enough to be much good to anyone.  Maybe they ought to bring in a guest judge or two.

For that matter, I think they should ALL be replaced...with folks like...oh....Tony Bennett or Bette Midler or Justin Timberlake or any number of younger/older performers, plus "other" recording business insiders...folks like BK, for instance.

I have no respect for the opinions of any of the Stooges anymore.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 09:51:18 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 09:51:16 AM »

Hmmm, I'm just reading about the Idol problem now. So we have a 1 hour live show tonight. And then the results show at 9pm Thursday.

I think Mikalah will definitely be bottom 3.

I was disappointed in Nadia and Anwar (my 2 favs).

I thought Bo was great.  Constantine was funny (very funny song for him).

I didn't like Nadia's song choice or how she sung it. I liked Carrie a lot.  Jessica was okay (i've never really warmed up to her).

Not sure who will be bottom 3. I don't care so much for Nikko or Vonzell but the judges praised them. I just don't think they have as many fans as some of the others.

TAR was GREAT.  Loved the reactions on the plane.  Scary preview for next week with the blood. What's up with that?  

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 09:55:02 AM »

Do you guys think the first act of INTO THE WOODS is appropriate for a 4 yr old boy?  What about the Cathy Rigby PETER PAN?  He loves cartoon videos, so I'm not sure if he will like either of the above.  But I was told I need to get better viewing material for Thursday's babysitting (as opposed to last night where all I had was ALLADIN & STUART LITTLE).

JMK

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 09:59:19 AM »

Do you guys think the first act of INTO THE WOODS is appropriate for a 4 yr old boy?  What about the Cathy Rigby PETER PAN?  He loves cartoon videos, so I'm not sure if he will like either of the above.  But I was told I need to get better viewing material for Thursday's babysitting (as opposed to last night where all I had was ALLADIN & STUART LITTLE).

If you're doing Sondheim, I think Passion or Sweeney Todd might be more fun.  Lasting psychological trauma begins now, baby!!   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2005, 10:01:11 AM »

I think Finding Neverland is fine for the vixter, although she might find it a bit slow-going.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »

When did it become the babysitter's responsiblity to provide video entertainment? And whoever was it who criticized you for not having "better" viewing material than that which you provided??????

Your job is the provision of safety and protection of someone's child.  You should play with the child, either through games or by reading to it.

Plopping a child in front of a video monitor for an hour or two can be fine IF the parents have provided an approved video, but it should NEVER be up to the babysitter to provide such material.

Sermon over.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up