Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS  (Read 13710 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BREAKING NEWS
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2005, 10:26:52 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2005, 10:31:44 AM »

I have the Cathy Rigby Peter Pan on CD and DVD.  I have the Mary Martin Peter Pan on record (and I think CD), the Bernstein Peter Pan on CD-R and BK's "The Musical Adventures of Peter Pan."  It's a great recording and I'm glad I have it. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2005, 10:33:32 AM »

STAKE IT!

....JUST STAKE IT!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2005, 10:35:34 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, I knew I was sort of lazing in bed for a while this morning, but I had no idea I had lazed past noon.  Ah, well...

I'm up!  I'm up!

-Yep, that's wet snow I see falling outside the window right now... ah, well.  I do have my BUMBERSHOOT with me, and I shall put it to it's proper use.

In the meantime, I've taken care of some e-mails, and I had a nice lengthy phone call with a friend/conductor of mine.  It was great catching up.  Because he's working right now, and I'm working right now, we won't be able to meet up in person, but the phone call was a great catch up session.

I also got an e-mail from a dear friend of mine, Rachel, I haven't heard from in a while.  I had sent her newborn daughter a Valentine's Day card back in February.  She was finally getting around to telling me she had received it - and that she'll be saving it for Olivia when she gets older.  :)  Rachel and I go back to our junior year in high school - wow, we've known each other half our lives so far!  Reading her e-mail was a great way to start the day.

And speaking of starting the day...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »

As for "American Idol"... Since I was at the Met last night...

RE:  "I Think I Love You" - David Cassidy actually released a more punked-up version of the song a few years ago.  It was even on a movie soundtrack or two.  My guess is that Constantine used that version of the song.  The song was also covered by a couple of alternative-rock bands over the years.  There was even a semi-rap version of it.

RE:  The voting redux - Had to happen sometime...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »

DR JENNIFER - yes, YIKES for next week's TAR!  Rigby's Peter Pan was fun when we saw it onstage.  INTO THE WOODS might be a bit much for little one, but then it does have lots of songs and stuff happening....couldn't hurt to give him a look at it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »

Ask BK Day -

Given the right circumstances - whatever they would have to be - would you ever move back to New York City?
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »

Breaking News
A Broadway Fairy Tale

Last night Joe and I saw Hairspray with the marvelous Bruce Vilanche looking for all the world like Jaba the Hutt, shorn of his voluminous beard.  Although we might have liked to have seen Harvey, Bruce left nothing to be desired in the role.  The entire show was nonstop fun of the highest quality, albeit we had to crane our necks from front row center--aaargh!  Never again.

But the best part began when we entered the lobby and saw that the regular Tracy Turblatt would be replaced by her understudy.  And her understudy was none other than Leslie Kritzer.  

Apparently talent runs in the Kritzer family, because Leslie was every bit as entertaining as her cousin Benjamin.  She sang and danced the hell out of the part and had the audience in the palm of her hand from the word go.

I made a special point of yelling "Yay, Leslie!"  when she took her call, standing right above me, where I saw England, I saw France.

Vilanche was quite gracious.  Before he made his Equit/Broadway Cares announcement, he pointed out that this was Leslie's first performance as Tracy, which led of course to another round of applause.  She had tears in her eyes, and I confess that my own were not entirely dry.

Reading Jose's post about the Met audience trying to dash out before curtain calls, I could not help but think of last night's audience, and the smiles on the faces of all the cast.  Hey, folks, these guys just spent over two hours, and God knows how many rehearsal hours, vocal lessons, and dance classes, killing themselves to make you happy.  So what does a little applause cost?  It's their drug, baby!  Give it to them!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2005, 11:02:07 AM »

But I was told I need to get better viewing material for Thursday's babysitting

My suggestion for viewing material: A book. Some sidewalk chalk. A bouncy ball. A nature-item scavenger hunt. Bubbles. Homemade playdough. Pinecone birdfeeders. Fingerpaint. Cookie-baking. Blank paper and new crayons. Easter-egg coloring.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2005, 11:07:24 AM »

I am highly grumpy today, and I don't like it!

Today is my loooong day at work and I am not liking that either!

I guess I am hard to please today.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2005, 11:09:43 AM »

I just saw that there will be more volumes of Ann Southern's PRIVATE SECRETARY tv show coming out this year.

That makes me in a better mood  :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »

I just saw that there will be more volumes of Ann Southern's PRIVATE SECRETARY tv show coming out this year.

Boy, the State of Oregon's bulletin boards in the coffee break rooms have sure gotten better since Betsy worked down there.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2005, 11:29:56 AM »

The Gal was in a Peter Pan when she was little in Gilroy, Calif. There were like 200 kids in this thing, and a lot of money was donated to get the flying apparatus, but they either couldn't use it or weren't allowed to. Still, they wanted to add that extra special something to make the show spectacular, so a live pig was added to the cast.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 11:33:32 AM »

STAKE IT U.K.!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2005, 11:36:06 AM »

Thanks for the HAIRSPRAY post DRWFO!!!

Yup - I always consider the curtain call part of the experience I paid for so I am going to stay until it's ALL OVER - even the shouting!

Wow - Leslie's first night in the role ON BROADWAY!!!  Somebody's dream came true!!

George

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2005, 11:39:05 AM »

When I was in Peter Pan here in Olympia, the set designer didn't read the script AND he didn't pay attention to the dimentions of the stage space:  NO OFF STAGE RIGHT SPACE AT ALL!!  He designed a huge ship with a raked  elevated stage area...they built it and had to cut it because it wouldn't fit into the theater!  Also, the "producers" didn't want to spend the extra $3,000 to fly Peter (who, by the way, was played by Stephen Tyrrell, the original choreographer to Das Barbecü, whose production BK recorded!...and he was FABULOUS as Peter) over the audience.  He just went back and forth and sideways.  Rather unimaginative.  The worst part was that they lost $35,000 on the whole production!!  It had it's problems, but it was fun for the actors. ;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »

Michael Shayne are they still showing that god-awful Network tv version of PSYCHO III?  I did none of the "TV-friendly" alterations and was agog the first time I saw it run on TV that way.  Would AMC & SCI-FI and other cable networks where it may run still show it that way?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2005, 11:47:09 AM »

OK - I just spent a bunch of minutes being productive.  Phone calls.  E-mails.  Etc.  And now I need to head to the dry cleaners on the corner to pick up my costume (a.k.a. black shirt) for tonight's show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »

OH!  And it does look like I'll be moving up here - well, at least paying rent - starting May 1.

:D

We shall see...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2005, 11:50:40 AM »

DR WFO - Thanks for the Hairspray report!  I can't believe that was Leslie Kritzer's first night playing the role.  I know she's been covering and understudying off and on for quite a while already.

Congrats to her!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »

I watched a bit of PSYCHO III on AMC a few weeks ago.  But since I haven't seen it in the original form, I don't know what was changed.

I liked the beginning!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2005, 11:56:46 AM »

Good vibes for a great audience for DRPENNYO and DRJOSE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »

STAKE IT U.K.!

I think I missed something.  ???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »

BUMBERSHOOT!

I would consider moving back to NY if I could live the way I liked - you know, in a doorman building, in an apartment with a lot of space and rooms and a view.  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2005, 12:20:49 PM »

Well, the DP have officially moved into our own place.  It's quite a nice place.  As soon as the boxes are unpacked, I'll try and take some pictures.  In the meantime, I have a question for BK or whoever would like to answer this.   The DP and I are planning a London/Paris trip this summer and I'm wondering if there are any long running (commercial) musicals playing in Paris.  I can't seem to find anything on the 'net, it would be fun to see a big "popular" show in French.  Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:45:59 PM by Matthew »

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2005, 12:29:47 PM »

When did it become the babysitter's responsiblity to provide video entertainment?

Sorry I wasn't really clear.  These aren't some random kids I'm watching.  It's my niece and nephew (well actually my sister's husband's sister's kids).

And whoever was it who criticized you for not having "better" viewing material than that which you provided??????.

The 4 year old. :)

Your job is the provision of safety and protection of someone's child.  You should play with the child, either through games or by reading to it.

We did games.  We did coloring.  We did exercise.  But this particular child loves watching animated videos.  And while we were watching Idol and viewing pictures on the dvd, his parents suggested I put him in my bed so he could watch videos (he would have been bored).

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2005, 12:32:15 PM »

DR JENNIFER - yes, YIKES for next week's TAR!  Rigby's Peter Pan was fun when we saw it onstage.  INTO THE WOODS might be a bit much for little one, but then it does have lots of songs and stuff happening....couldn't hurt to give him a look at it!

Yes he loves all the animated movies that have songs in it.  That is why I thought he might like ITW or PETER PAN.  I'll probably just put them in and tell him if he doesn't like them he can let me know.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »

My suggestion for viewing material: A book. Some sidewalk chalk. A bouncy ball. A nature-item scavenger hunt. Bubbles. Homemade playdough. Pinecone birdfeeders. Fingerpaint. Cookie-baking. Blank paper and new crayons. Easter-egg coloring.

Well since it's still cold here I thikn sidewalk chalk is out. :)

Fingerpainting sounds disastrous since he is a slob. :)
(i wasn't that happy when someone gave him chocolate ice cream to eat in my bed). :)

We did coloring. But I think I will try reading.

The thing is there is another kid (his 9 yr old sister) and she needs to be occupied too.  So it's easier to put a video on, and then play a game with one kid (or do art) while the other watches.  Especially since they don't really like to do the same things!

Ben

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2005, 12:44:11 PM »

DR Matthew wrote:

"I'm wondering if there are any long running (commercial) musicals playing in Paris.  I can't seem to find anything on the 'net, it would be fun to see a big "popular" show in French.  Does anyone know?"

Calling DR François, Monsieur François, aidez-nous, s'il vous plait.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »

Sorry I wasn't really clear.  These aren't some random kids I'm watching.  It's my niece and nephew (well actually my sister's husband's sister's kids).

The 4 year old. :)We did games.  We did coloring.  We did exercise.  But this particular child loves watching animated videos.  And while we were watching Idol and viewing pictures on the dvd, his parents suggested I put him in my bed so he could watch videos (he would have been bored).

So...it was a 4-year-old who criticized the videos!  Ahhhhhh.....

Aunt Jennifer needs to acquire Disney tin boxes....and Platinum Editions of animated classics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up