Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOPPING MADNESS ABATES  (Read 4023 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE SHOPPING MADNESS ABATES
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 05:02:33 PM »

Some people have been speculating that Gelson's has more on the shelves than other stores because their prices are higher. I don't know if that's true, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »

Vaccine trials have begun in Wuhan. Dr Fauci has said that a vaccine is about a year and a half off, but the results of the trials in China will be most interesting.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »

One of the things that irks me is that I know that senior management is very well paid, while they seem to hire the cheapest nurses they can find. The quality of the nurses there is a joke among the doctors.

That's too bad.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »

Picked up dinner tonight. It appears to be an entire chicken fried, a huge salad, mac and cheese, stewed green beans and a six-pack of their homebrewed beer.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »

TOD:
I find that I must now go to several stores to obtain what I could get before from one. I plan to go to Ralph's tomorrow. If they have toilet paper I'll grab some. But I'm not counting on it.

The closing of the salad bar was a real loss. It was easy to buy small quantities of many things.

Will you be able to do early senior hours?

Jane

« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:16 PM »

One of the things that irks me is that I know that senior management is very well paid, while they seem to hire the cheapest nurses they can find. The quality of the nurses there is a joke among the doctors.

That's too bad.

Very bad indeed.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »

I've seen a number of articles about what to read while in lockdown and what to stream. But I find I have less free time than usual. Shopping, whether online or in-store takes more time, and I feel quite addicted to the news. I'll mention, too, that I'm very interested in the posts of other DRs and how the lockdown is treating you. So a Thank You to HHW.

John G.

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »

I felt so sorry for these people, many of whom are friends. Philippe said they had to lay off 90, while Alison, the chef’s wife, says work continues unabated on the new place they have under construction. Apparently construction is deemed essential.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »

I was going to go to Costco tomorrow but I have enough chicken for days.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »

TOD:
I find that I must now go to several stores to obtain what I could get before from one. I plan to go to Ralph's tomorrow. If they have toilet paper I'll grab some. But I'm not counting on it.

The closing of the salad bar was a real loss. It was easy to buy small quantities of many things.

Will you be able to do early senior hours?

No, Jane. The Ralph's near me seems quite medieval--no early hours, no curbside pick-up, no nuttin'. But, in truth, I'd have to be very, very motivated indeed to go shopping at 6 am. This Ralph's is seldom crowded on weekdays, however. With so many people home that may change, but I don't expect a crowd.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »

:(  At least construction continues. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:49 PM »

Picked up dinner tonight. It appears to be an entire chicken fried, a huge salad, mac and cheese, stewed green beans and a six-pack of their homebrewed beer.

That sounds like quite a lot of food. Is this a place you've been to before? Is it a package deal?

John G.

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2020, 05:16:20 PM »

Started watching Terry Gilliam’s The Brothers Grimm, which has a plague story in it. How appropriate.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:51 PM »

Construction appears to be deemed an essential activity, which is a bit surprising to me, at least from a health standpoint. If construction is OK, then why not drive-in theaters?

John G.

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:01 PM »

That sounds like quite a lot of food. Is this a place you've been to before? Is it a package deal?

I have been there before, but I haven’t been in a while. They specialize in Texas coastal fare and their beers. This is the first time I’ve had the fried chicken.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »

Once things settle down I'd like to see a Support Small Business campaign, especially for restaurants.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »

TTFN.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »

Prices are a bit higher, as always, but believe me, before a few days ago they had NOTHING on their shelves, just like other markets.  And during panic and hysteria, panic and hysteria TRUMP money.  See what I did there.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »

Started watching Terry Gilliam’s The Brothers Grimm, which has a plague story in it. How appropriate.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »

Finished a movie.  May watch another in a bit.  Of course, snoozed for about twenty minutes first.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »

Construction appears to be deemed an essential activity, which is a bit surprising to me, at least from a health standpoint. If construction is OK, then why not drive-in theaters?

I don't know why drive-in theaters are not ok.  Maybe they fear people will get out of their cars.

Constructions seems necessary to me.  Imagine if your house is torn up and you can't leave it.  Getting it back together sooner than later is best.  Outdoor construction let for too long might be an issue. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »

Well, I'm done with work and I got everything done (for the most part) that I needed to do.  I forgot about some other invoices, but they can actually wait...the vendors have no choice, now. ::) Anyway, I'm heading home.

Be back later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »

I just cleaned up the sound a bit and put up this demo that has Maureen Silliman, Andy Umberger, Janie Smulyan and Ed Romanoff. 

Plaisir d'Amour - one act musical by Terrence McNally & Skip Kennon - just audio
This demo. is the Triangle Theater cast.  (seen in Summer Shorts festival 2008 at 59E59)
https://youtu.be/-Ll4W9_vJHk

John G.

« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »

There's a lot to like in The Brothers Grimm, but there's also a lot that's surprisingly offensive in ways that the Brothers Grimm were not. This one ain't for the kids.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »

Larry, just wondering - why have you been so intent in trying to keep the facts from being heard?

Why did you get Warren and Max to torture their rules to keep the subject off castrecl?

Do you really believe they wouldn't have sued for defamation by now if it weren't true?

Jack and the Encores attorney just seems unable to process that when you leave someone with nothing tom lose, they really have tithing to lose.  AS time goes on, more and more of this pattern comes up of human rights violations and the complainer never being heard from in NY again. 

FJL

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »

1 - The articles looking back by Frankel office years later say they'd always wanted Jerry Zaks for “Smokey Joe’s Cafe” but that Jerry Zaks doesn’t like doing early development, he needs to see the work on its feet before he’s willing to get involved.   Somehow, word after the Chicago tryout run got around that Otis Sallid wasn’t delivering, rumors of substance issues, issues which never seemed to be mentioned in his very extensive non-theater career.  (I saw the backers audition in NYC before Chicago; I'd invested based on that.).   Mr. Sallid got credit, moved on, did the Oscars and many jibs soon after.  Mr. Sallid never did Broadway after that. 

http://www.playbill.com/article/stagestruck-by-peter-filichia-smokey-is-still-smoking-com-71234
"You see, Jerry doesn't like to get involved with the early development of shows. He wants a script… Once he saw it on its feet in Chicago, he came interested and had ideas."

Note also, Otis Sallid was completely erased from his conception credit for the 2018 revival, while of course the two white men, Jack Viertel and Steve Helpoer, still have their credits. 

FJL

« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »

The Ashman estate insisted on Connie Grappo for “LIttle Shop” on Broadway before they'd agree to giving the rights; the NY Times says they always wanted Jerry Zaks, then the terms and conditions for Connie Grappo's road to NYC somehow changed per the Times article.  (That was a feel by the interviews by Times article writer Robin Pogrebin of: Hmm, they wanted Mr. Zaks, could only get the rights with Ms. Grappo, somehow they ended up with Mr. Zaks. )

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/20/theater/the-show-that-ate-the-original-cast.html

“So when the trustees of the Ashman estate agreed to a ''Little Shop'' revival, it was on the condition that Connie Grappo would direct ,,, The producers had wanted Mr. Zaks to direct but yielded to Mr. Ashman's trustees…
''The Florida production, we always understood, was going to be a developing production -- the producers talked about it as that,'' she said. ‘  Ms. Grappo, as it happens, never did Broadway after that, though doing other non-theater work per her site that sounds exciting. 

FJL

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »

Scott Davenport Richards,  who understood bias, also son of the great Lloyd Richards, is said to have objected strongly to the show that had his  score including a carol with “Fa-ra-ra-ra” instead of “Fa-la-la-la.”   Nothing in the online news, but “Fa-ra-ra-ra” stayed,  brought in Pasek & Paul. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/theater/a-christmas-story-the-musical-aims-to-become-a-franchise.html
It looks per the Times article like Mr. Paul also saw the "fa ra ra ra" scene was "definitely offensive" but could accept that it was needed.
But one relatively brief scene that has stayed is causing a little hand-wringing. ...  A group of waiters serenades the family with a thickly-accented rendition of “Deck the Halls.” The scene, which drew one of the biggest laughs at the performance here, was a “source of tension” during rehearsals, said Mr. Richards, who was let go after the show’s Kansas City run.     “I had a very strong feeling that I didn’t want an Asian kid taken to a musical and saying to his parents, ‘Why are they making fun of us?’ ” he said.
Mr. Goehring called Mr. Richards a “great artist” with a “huge future” and chalked up his departure to artistic differences. ....   Mr. Paul said that as much as he found the restaurant scene “definitely offensive,” it was a crucial part of the experience.
Indications now are Pasek & Paul might have already been the songwriters when Jack Viertel was named Creative Consultant of "A Christmas Story," and that Scott Davenport Richards and Jack Viertel have no known bad feelings about each other.  So this may be a situation where - odd as it sounds - Jack Viertel was brought on possibly even after Broadway and the 2012 production that got the major Tony nominations?     Jack recommended it (it appears just as a fan?) in Nov 2012 when it was on Broadway and that production got its Tony nominations for Best Musical, Book and Score. 

FJL

« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »

Jack & co. feel a triple-threat dynamo Ms. Umphress whose weight never hurt her career  has been badly mistreated by Laura Collins Hughes' review of "Smokey Joe" revival.  (Of course, had it been a "critics pick" review, this would not have been re-tweeted by anyone, incl Jack, let alone been responded to by major figures like Jack O'Brien.)  The gist of retweets: Female critics should never say a negative word about  women.  Constructive only.  (Weight is a women's issue somehow?). Also, it's the same female critic as with Jack and Encores' "Big River" Feb. 2017.

Remembering this from Feb 2017.  Try to imagine the Encores producer, whose work on the “Big River” production the female critic praised, writing and creating a stir like this in public about a male critic to that male critic's  paper, about the male's qualifications:

http://www.playbill.com/article/ny-times-responds-to-producers-complaint-about-big-river-review

If 2017 is too far back, this from summer 2018.  (Same Encores producer is main creator of this "Smokey Joe's Cafe," it happens.)   Try to imagine a show's publicity department having someone go on  TV saying a male critic must be  ”constructive” about what he felt needed fixing, and giving non-specific alternate wording he should have used.

https://pix11.com/2018/07/25/broadway-actress-fires-back-after-ny-times-critic-appears-to-body-shame-her/

The wonderful Ms. Umphress, never held back because of anything career-wise:   “the wording wasn’t constructive. It was full on mean girl.”  “They could’ve just said the costuming was uneven”. “Coming from another woman I just think it’s her responsibility to stick up for other women.  I hope she could man up – no, I hope she could woman up!”

FJL

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »

the public shaming to actor Joel Vig from "Hairspray," who had the nerve to want to come back to his job after surgery from an onstage accident. The  case law reads like Shylock and the merchant, just instead of wanting to kill the merchant, they killed the actor's NYC career, and with the legal costs spent more than a decent settlement would have cost, and using the "Hairspray" investors' money. And they made Joel Vig, their victim, look like a bully for getting upset, by having Laura Green be the "heavy"  in behalf of  management! After eight or so years, when it's clear the facts look horrible for what they did, they pull out a statute of limitations technicality.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up