Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOPPING MADNESS ABATES  (Read 3877 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE SHOPPING MADNESS ABATES
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »

My reaction for the most part was bullshit.  The call may have lasted around 30 minutes; I was very happy when it was over.  I then spent an hour or so wondering what was the reason for the call.

Yet you let her ramble. I think that was nice of you.

My responses to everything were terse and not friendly.

I figured that much, but you did not hang up on her. 

Jane

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »

Good friends just called for a 4 way conversation.  It was fun.  Now they have set up for video chat next time.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2020, 03:14:18 PM »

Whoa.

RIP Terrence McNally

The cause of death was complications due to coronavirus; McNally was a lung cancer survivor who lived with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was 81.

:'( And just yesterday, I listened to several versions of "Back to Before" from Ragtime, for which he wrote the book.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »

I have worked on a couple of McNally plays even out here in the hinterlands.

I've seen a couple, but never worked on or acted in any. :-\

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

A big project was due today. Everything was going smoothly. Now it’s not. I don’t know whether to laugh or log off for the day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2020, 03:17:43 PM »

I think Ragtime and Spider Woman are the only two shows of McNally’s that I’ve seen. I loved his book for Spider Woman. It was better than the movie, more cynical, more believable and, in the end, more touching. I haven’t read the book yet.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

I’ve read Ragtime the novel maybe six times. It’s one of my favorites. McNally’s libretto was good. The score was great.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »

I would like to see The Rink, which may be my favorite Kander and Ebb score. I hear the book for that is really bad, though. Really, really bad. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »

I do like my PTSD musicals, though.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »

Gratuitous post No. 100!
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »

My reaction for the most part was bullshit.  The call may have lasted around 30 minutes; I was very happy when it was over.  I then spent an hour or so wondering what was the reason for the call.

Yet you let her ramble. I think that was nice of you.

My responses to everything were terse and not friendly.

I figured that much, but you did not hang up on her. 

Of course not.  Let the old drunk ramble.  She's up to something and I'm safer knowing what it is.  You don't call and tell me you love and miss me after a lapse of 13 years when your last words were I deserved to inherit nothing from my father and It'll be a cold day in hell [before I forgive you for forcing us to repay your dad's loan to the estate].
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:32:49 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

I have worked on a couple of McNally plays even out here in the hinterlands.

I've seen a couple, but never worked on or acted in any. :-\

I saw the original productions of The Lisbon Traviata, Love! Valour! and Compassion!, and The Ritz, and a regional production of Master Class.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

I’ve played Ragtime and Spider Woman and love them both dearly. And I’ve seen regional productions of The Rink, Love! Valour! and Master Class.

I haven’t seen those others, but would love to.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »

Ate two helpings of the tuna pasta salad, read more Woody, and now will take a little break.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »

I’ve played Ragtime and Spider Woman and love them both dearly. And I’ve seen regional productions of The Rink, Love! Valour! and Master Class.

Richard Lester's movie of The Ritz is good and it preserves Rita Moreno's performance and much of the Broadway cast.

ChasSmith

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2020, 04:00:23 PM »

Richard Lester's movie of The Ritz is good and it preserves Rita Moreno's performance and much of the Broadway cast.

That’s good to hear.

And I forgot The Full Monty! I’ve seen it three or four times, haven’t played it yet.

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »

And Joshie has my Blu-ray of Nashville.

Yay!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »

We went out to drop some mail at the post office and to do a curbside pick-up at Kroger
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2020, 04:08:57 PM »

While I put the groceries away, Richard went to The Jug, a local burger jernt, for our carry-out dinner.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »

And I’ve received email notification that the American Library Association Annual Conference has been cancelled for the first time since 1945  :'(

Jane

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »

:(  Where was it going to be this year?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

Given how some people's days have been going, plus the pandemic, I do have the impression that Mercury or Jupiter or someone is waaayyyy out of whack.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:21:40 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »

Jrand, any insights on this?

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »

Chicago.  We had plans to go to Rob and Mary Linda’s, visit the new baby, and leave our car there while we stayed downtown for the conference.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »

Chicago.  We had plans to go to Rob and Mary Linda’s, visit the new baby, and leave our car there while we stayed downtown for the conference.

A double disappointment.  I do hope we can go to Chicago by June and meet our not so new baby.  I am guessing they have room in their home for you to stay with them.  Unfortunately Bryan & Kate don't have room for us to comfortably stay with them. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »

Yesterday I spoke to one of the supervisors at my osteopath's office to try to work out something in lieu of the much-needed office visit that they cancelled. She promised to contact my doctor and arrange a phone visit, then email me to confirm. The second one didn't happen, nor I suspect the first.

I received a call this morning from an admin person at that office, again cancelling my appointment, but giving me completely different information from yesterday. I know things are changing daily, but I suspect that this is more a matter of management not keeping everyone up to speed. This office has a history of not returning promised phone calls and emails and not being up to speed on what is happening -- pre-Covid. So you can imagine what a disorganized, not-completely-committed, poorly managed office is like in a crisis.

I emailed my doctor privately, bringing him up to speed, and requested a phone visit. It won't take the place of a much-needed in-person visit, but we may be able to get the blood work done and monitor an existing condition.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:23:36 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »

One of the things that irks me is that I know that senior management is very well paid, while they seem to hire the cheapest nurses they can find. The quality of the nurses there is a joke among the doctors.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 05:01:27 PM »

TOD:
I find that I must now go to several stores to obtain what I could get before from one. I plan to go to Ralph's tomorrow. If they have toilet paper I'll grab some. But I'm not counting on it.

The closing of the salad bar was a real loss. It was easy to buy small quantities of many things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up