Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25524 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 07:37:19 AM »

As far as underpaid and overworked the starting salary for  a first year teacher is $45,000 for a 180 days a year , they also get full medical/dental and a pension plan and full tuition reimbursment for additional educational credits.   This is for a 22 or 23 year old who has not yet achieved their masters degree.  

May be true where you live, but that's not true everywhere, and you should walk a mile in their shoes before casting aspersions on teachers anywhere. My salary for my last year of teaching was $49,000 and that was with a master's degree PLUS thirty hours and 29 years of experience. NONE of the courses I took during all those summers to keep my teacher's license renewed were reimbursed, and those six weeks of courses were on that "off time" that didn't factor into your 180 days of work. We also had 10 additional workdays in addition to the 180 teaching days, and we were on call all hours during that 190 day contract year. On days of parent conferences, for example, we were there from 7:30 a.m. to 8 at night, and we are at work many nights by sponsoring clubs, chaparoning dances, meetings with textbook representatives or state accreditation personnel, travelling with the bad or chorus - all on our own time and after school hours.

And teaching school for me was not a job I could turn off when I walked out the back door to my car. The problems of the children stayed with me constantly. One also had prepration at home for future lessons and tests, papers to grade, grades to average, parents to contact, all off the clock. There was always something to do during the school year. And many things for my classroom for students' use were paid for out of my own pocket. Tight school budgets didn't go very far in providing any extras.

Now, I LOVED benefits of being a state employee - the health insurance (dental only covers about 45 % of my cost), the holidays.

But to deal with 100 different child personalities with double the number of parent personalities in a  typical school year, you HAD to love doing it and not for the money. The best teachers are professionals who are usually not treated like professionals and certainly are not paid on the same scale as professionals with similar education and experience.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 07:38:42 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 07:41:15 AM »

I can't get enough! :)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »

I'm assuming THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN was a widescreen DVD. CHARLEY VARRICK wasn't, but since you didn't mention it being a full frame transfer, I figured the studio must have done the aspect ratio correctly.

I LOATHED this picture. Bruce Dern's homophobic attitude during the movie made me so uncomfortable that I almost had to leave the theater. The gay serial killer was such a cheap device for sensationalism that I felt insulted every moment I was watching it.

This isdefinitely NOT a movie that I will be buying.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 07:49:17 AM »

Spring has returned. We will have two or three days of mid to high 70s before cooler temperatures prevail later in the week. Glad I got the grass mowed yesterday when it was a bit cooler.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 08:25:34 AM »

May be true where you live, but that's not true everywhere, and you should walk a mile in their shoes before casting aspersions on teachers anywhere.

Please re read my last post regarding this subject.  My specific complaint is with the teachers in this school.  She has had excellent teachers up to this point.  The state test averages for this school are terrible and I attribute a lot of that to the fact the rather than have the kids WRITE REPORTS  which would require them to learn to research and spell and convey information in writing, they assign these stupid arts and crafts projects.

A Spanish language course is requiring my daughter to sew a doll and costume!  Would it not have been far better to require her to write something, perhaps in Spanish?

I am thrilled when I walk into a classroom and see a 40 + teacher in that room.  The problem in this particular school is that or than half the teachers are under thirty, of the Vixter's 8 teachers,  three of them are 1st year, two of them are 2nd year teachers.  

As far as extra-curricular activicties go in this here school district, nobody does anything for free...every club is run by a teacher who is paid for staying after that extra hour.  

Let me repeat... I do not have a problem with teachers in general... I have a problem with certain specific teachers in this specific school.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:27:46 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »

JR:  re:  Doris Day and Warner Bros. makeup artists:  Obviously, they hadn't been introduced to the wonders of "Carbobalm."  :)

Painters:  Well those of you who have visited my home environment know that Betsy's mother is a pretty well-known painter in the midwest.  Several of her originals (which are usually painted on canvas and include found objects sown thereon) hang in our home.  Her website:

http://www.jeaninesdream.com

The punchline is she claims to be afraid to use color in her paintings.

Trivia note:  she was an art student in the early 50s with a gaggle of youngsters that included none other than Jasper Johns.  Jasper painted her a still life that hangs in my in-laws' basement.  It is thought to be perhaps the only Johns that avoided his self-destructo phase when he moved into pop art and burned all of his representational stuff.  Betsy and I keep telling her parents they need to go on Antiques Roadshow with it and see what they say it's worth.

Another painter/illustrator whose astounding work is prominently displayed in our home environment is Vladimir Uzilevsky.  He does these outlandish hallucinogenic representations of musical scores that are displayed all around the piano here.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2005, 08:28:25 AM »

Right now playing live on BBC 3 is part two of Stage and Screen's birthday tribute to Sondheim.

If you want to listen to the entire program wait until about noon and go to this site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/

and click on Listen to the latest programme.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »

Well, time to get myself together for today's travel adventures...  Well, I hope we don't have to deal with any "adventures"...

Safe travels, Jose!  I can't help but wonder:  Couldn't they just have driven y'all from Memphis to Indianapolis in about the same time it'll take to fly via Dallas?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »

Spring cleaning free CD offer:  For any/all that are interested, I found a stash of my 4 song EP CD of my vocal jazz group Aqabala, which won Jazziz Magazine's international Vocals on Fire competition a few years ago.  The CD features the truly incredible voice of Suzi Stern (think Streisand or Basia with bop skills) and the phenomenal guitar of John Stowell, as well as some schmuck named Kauffman and a million backup singers.  There are two versions of my song Wasn't It Spring Yesterday?, which Ray Evans very kindly provided blurbage for (included on inlay traycard).  Aqabala combines Hebrew chant in a kind of contemporary jazz/pop ambience.  Email me and I'll send you a copy while they last.  But wait you also get department:  I'll even throw in a free CDR of some unreleased tracks of Aqabala, including a killer (if I do say so myself) vocal version of Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil, lyric by moi, and a goosebump-inducing Suzi and company doing the beautiful Hannah Senesh song Eli, Eli.

jmkauffman@aol.com
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:45:18 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2005, 08:44:14 AM »

Painters:Michelangelo, Rubens, Rembrandt(almost same as DR ELMORE’s), in addition, Botticelli and Kaii Higashiyama.

Illustrators: Norman Rockwell (same as DR ELMORE) and my dentist has “The Check-Up” on a wall in his treatment room.  I like it very much, though I don’t like the dentist(not my doctor himself)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »

DR JANE:I’ve never seen or read Old Yeller but it seems to be interesting and heartwarming. Unfortunately, both the movie and the book are not translated/captioned in Japanese but I’ll try to get it in the near future. Thank you.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2005, 08:52:22 AM »

Sorry, vixmom, but you hit a nerve when you criticize teachers for the amount of time they work and what they're paid. (Not the first time I've heard these arguments, believe me. Teachers have struggled against them for decades.)

What it looks like on paper and what it is in reality you can't possibly know unless you're walking in their shoes.

And that's all I'll say on the subject.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2005, 08:54:53 AM »

In honor of teachers:

and Norman Rockwell

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »

Since I have no interest in the NCAA basketball championships (despite North Carolina being one of the participating teams) nor do I care to watch the behind-the-scenes TV-movie on MONK & MINDY, I'll be using tonight as a catch-up night for shows on the DVR - specifically NUMBERS, DEADWOOD, and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2005, 08:59:02 AM »

And supposedly, tonight's '24' is such a riveting episode that Fox is repeating it on Friday night and again on Sunday.

It may be riveting (I can't wait to watch it), but I suspect it's being repeated because Fox is hurting for shows to broadcast in killer time periods where it has bombed with everything it's tried.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2005, 08:59:23 AM »

DR Hisaka, the colors in that painting are beautiful!

I don't have any favorite painters, but there are many paintings that I enjoy.

Some of my interviewees had turned to painting in their later years...both Beth Marion and Gordon Mitchell had some fantastic paintings, and both started painting when they were in their 70s. Unfortunately both have since passed away.

Gordon Mitchell gave me one of his paintings when I visited him in Santa Monica a couple of years back, and I treasure it very much!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2005, 09:00:52 AM »

Last nights Desperate Housewives is perhaps the best episode so far! So funny!!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 09:01:37 AM »

I didn't talk about my favorite painters yet. I have such respect for artists because I can't draw a straight line using a ruler, so anyone who can make anything artistic with his hands has my utmost admiration.

Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Degas, Renoir, Picasso, oh, there are so many.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 09:02:50 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 09:03:51 AM »

Yes, I've read from quite a few folks that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES was really good last night. Looking forward to seeing it at some point today.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2005, 09:03:54 AM »

Sorry, vixmom, but you hit a nerve when you criticize teachers for the amount of time they work and what they're paid. (Not the first time I've heard these arguments, believe me. Teachers have struggled against them for decades.)

What it looks like on paper and what it is in reality you can't possibly know unless you're walking in their shoes.

And that's all I'll say on the subject.

Matt.. I never brought up the subject of teacher pay , you did, and in response (an\d only in response) I pointed out that in my district teachers are pretty damn well paid, BUT THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM WITH THE TEACHERS!!!! (oops I'm yelling)

My problem is that they are not teaching!  They are assigning stupid arts and crafts projects that  take no effort to grade and do not teach the students any useful skills!!!!!

Now before I get banned for boring everyone to tears with this subject I will stop discussing it. If you want to yell at me anymore at least yell at me for what I am actually ranting and raving about.

Love and kisses :-*

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 09:04:51 AM by vixmom »

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2005, 09:05:58 AM »

DR vixmom, the stories of the vixter are so charming!  Especially the ones about school.  Keep us informed on this video project.  Very bizarre that it has to be a video ... um I don't have a video recorder - why should these 11 yr olds! :)

DR Elmore, I also enjoyed last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.  Poor mama solice!  I got to watch a weird Canadian 90 minute version (from 7-8:30pm).  They paired it with the Juno red carpet (Cdn music).

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2005, 09:09:12 AM »

Oh. DR Rodzinski, I loved your suggestion of an anti-recycling video, DH actually suggested to the Vixter that she made sure she shows both sides of the issue the bad points of recylcing as well as the good and she was shocked...recycling can ONLY be good!!!

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2005, 09:10:50 AM »

DR vixmom, the stories of the vixter are so charming!  Especially the ones about school.  Keep us informed on this video project.  Very bizarre that it has to be a video ... um I don't have a video recorder - why should these 11 yr olds! :)

Thanks!! I'll try not to harp on so much about this though...

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2005, 09:14:04 AM »

A shout out and great appreciation to  my favoritest teacher in the entire universe (even though I was never an actual enrolled student in any of his classes, or indeed in his university)... Professor William F. Orr without whom I never  never  never would have passed my college courses in calculus, and stastistics!!!!   I love you  Bill!!!

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »

Gordon Mitchell gave me one of his paintings when I visited him in Santa Monica a couple of years back, and I treasure it very much!
May we see it?

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »

Another favorite Norman Rockwell

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2005, 09:38:43 AM »

May we see it?

I will try to remember to snap a picture of it!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2005, 09:39:10 AM »

There's a bad side to recycling?

I despised group projects, although they do teach a very important lesson: Don't trust anyone else. Do it yourself.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2005, 09:46:01 AM »

and another

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2005, 09:47:11 AM »

DR Vixmom,
Here is an article on Gordon Mitchell and his painting...there are some pictures, but not many of them of his actual paintings! LOL!

I nice shot of him and his good friend Mickey Hargitay, though...take about a year before Gordon passed away.

http://www.cinema-nocturna.com/m_gordon_mitchell_article.htm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up