Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25495 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2005, 09:49:31 AM »

There's a bad side to recycling?

Sometimes the cost of recycling is less than the value gained....but we are overall proponets of recycling in our house!!  I have not seen the video DR Rodzinski mentioned, but now I must seek it out ( if only to see our own BK in action)

I despised group projects, although they do teach a very important lesson: Don't trust anyone else. Do it yourself.

These aren't group projects.. each student has to make her own video!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »

DR Vixmom,
Here is an article on Gordon Mitchell and his painting...there are some pictures, but not many of them of his actual paintings! LOL!

I nice shot of him and his good friend Mickey Hargitay, though...take about a year before Gordon passed away.

http://www.cinema-nocturna.com/m_gordon_mitchell_article.htm

Thank you for the site.   I look forward to seeing the  photo of the painting he gifted you with.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2005, 09:59:21 AM »

I'll try this again....first time I went to post this, it was swallowed by the great internet monster!

My favorite painting -- or at least the one that came to mind first -- is probably JSSargent's "Madam X."  (At least I believe it's called that.)  I tend to like the impressionists, though occasionally I find a piece of "modern" art to which I am drawn.  In the impressionist mode, I also enjoy the landscapes of the Hudson Valley school of painters.

It was a busy weekend of Stars of Tomorrow shows:  a BOYFRIEND and  GREASE (plus an event here at Brockport to keep me hopping).  One more weekend of Stars shows (a SUESSICAL and a MAME), and we will be done for the season.  On to the nominating meetings and the award ceremony itself, on TONY (R) Sunday.  Through the season, we will have clocked 1100 miles on this endeavor.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2005, 10:08:32 AM »

Since I have no interest in the NCAA basketball championships (despite North Carolina being one of the participating teams) nor do I care to watch the behind-the-scenes TV-movie on MONK & MINDY, I'll be using tonight as a catch-up night for shows on the DVR - specifically NUMBERS, DEADWOOD, and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

MattH has unintentionally created a new show. Pam Dawber and Tony Shaloub in MONK AND MINDY!

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2005, 10:11:56 AM »

MattH has unintentionally created a new show. Pam Dawber and Tony Shaloub in MONK AND MINDY!

Hey, that might be a good show...and I think Pam Dawber needs a job, anyhow!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Had a gloriously glorious sleep and feel better.

SELTZER!

Wonderful painter choices.  As some here know, I collect illustration art, so I'm partial to illustration artists.  I do love Mr. Rockwell, who was a genius, and I love the man who was Rockwell's idol, J.C. Leyendecker.  Too many others to list, but I'll do a few as I think of them throughout the day.  The first artist I fell in love with as a child was, strangely, Dali.  I also am fond of Magritte.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2005, 10:12:20 AM »

One problem with recycling is that the means to get the job done often create their own nasty toxins.

Painters I like are Jean Miro and Marc Chagall.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2005, 10:37:18 AM »

BK and JRand, here is a nifty link with info on the upcoming DVD releases of the Japanese sci-fi films VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE and DOGARA SPACE MONSTER....I am looking very forward to both DVDs!!

http://www.henshinonline.com/

And if you scroll down a bit further you will also find information on a Godzilla film festival in Los Angeles this June.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2005, 10:39:07 AM »

One last Norman Rockwell ,  I am sure either derB or Woody posed for this as a boy

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »

As painters go, Eldin Bernecki always struck me as a great guy, but I don't recall ever seeing any of his work.

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2005, 10:46:44 AM »

Good Morning/Afternoon!

-What time zone am I in now?

I'm typing this while waiting for the flight out of Memphis.  I would post from the Memphis airport, but the Wi-Fi access is fee-based, and I'm just not in the mood to pay $9.95 for about 30 minutes of access.  Hopefully, Dallas/Ft. Worth will have free access - although I guess I could just sit outside one of the frequent flyer lounges.  -I've seen that done at other airports.  ;)

The bus ride to the airport was very pleasant and very roomy.  They hired two big busses to bring the cast and orchestrat to the airport, and there are only about 35 of us total, so..  I had originally picked to ride on Bus 1, but after walking onto it, and smelling something unseemly, I boarded the other bus - which was basically brand new.  Love that new bus smell!

While boarding and waiting, I got the chance to meet more of the cast members - or at least make their acquaintance.  It really is a great bunch of people.  *And it looks like I'll be playing restaurant and tour guide when they settle in DC in a few weeks. ;)

So... Until Dallas...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:31 AM »

That has to be der B, Vixmom.  I was never that cute.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:41 AM »

..And, yes, I'm now in Dallas...  Boarding in about 15 minutes...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »

As for painters (again)...

Van Gogh is amazing - and even moreso when you can get close enough to see the brush strokes, and the almost 3-D layers of paint.

The one big altar piece of Goya at the Art Institute of Chicago is truly awe inspiring.

But the Francophile in me has always leaned heavily towards the Impressionists - in both art and music.  And I was very lucky to have shown up on a slow day during the big Impressionist exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in DC a couple of years ago.  All those paintings I had only seen in books up until that time.  -And the NGA's regular holdings of Impressionist art are impressive on their own.  And, surprisingly, the Virginia Museum of Art in Richmond has a rather nicely chosen collection.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2005, 10:48:27 AM »

I did have one "Whew!" moment during check-in...

After putting my luggage on the scale, it came up 51.5 pounds.  Oops.  I had reshuffled a pair of shoes and my denim jacket from my carry-on into my checked bag, so..  -It was at 48 when I left Dulles.

I was taking out my wallet to pay the $25 over-weight fee (50 is the limit), but the very kind gentleman just attached one of those "Heavy" tags to the handle, and said, "Thank you, sir.  Have a good flight."

Whew!

Since I'm flying with a bunch of actors on tour, there were already a couple of people who had checked baggage and paid a fee or two.  And one of the guys even "warned" the check-in attendant that there will most likely be a few more people with Heavy bags.  Comes with the territory.

But again...

Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2005, 10:49:21 AM »

Ah, the joys of Cutting and Pasting.

DR vixmom - Do elementary school students still Cut and Paste?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2005, 10:52:16 AM »

Many painters already mentioned including Van Gogh, Monet, daVinci.

I will add Mondrian and add someone DRs may not be familiar with.  Helen Frankenthaler!  ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2005, 10:52:52 AM »

Beautiful in Indy today, DR JOSE!  And there is a bit of spring in the landscape!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2005, 10:53:13 AM »

Safe travels, Jose!  I can't help but wonder:  Couldn't they just have driven y'all from Memphis to Indianapolis in about the same time it'll take to fly via Dallas?

Yep!

The crew, however, had a direct flight this morning, so...

???

In fact, a couple cast members traded in their plane tickets for the cash allowance, and rented a car in Memphis.  They may end up getting to Indy before we do.

At least the flight from Memphis to Dallas was nice.  Big plane.  Not full.  Lots of room to relax.

However, the flight to Indy is sold out...

OH! And they just announced a gate change... To the gate next to one we deplaned at of course!  *But it was a short walk anyway, so...

Until Indianapolis...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »

Recycling is a good idea, but I think there has to be a certain population density for it to really work.  Here in Rehoboth Beach, there are not enough full-time residents for recycling to be practical.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2005, 10:55:53 AM »

A crowd like this one, and nobody's yet mentioned Tom of Finland?

::)

:o

;D

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2005, 10:58:51 AM »

Ah, the joys of Cutting and Pasting.

DR vixmom - Do elementary school students still Cut and Paste?

;)

Sure do!! If fact in school years  K - 5  I volunteered as  the 'craft mom" and I would go into the Vixter's class once a month and do a craft with the class.  Lots of cutti8ng and pasting when I was around  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2005, 11:02:36 AM »

Dear DR Jose: Is the airline one of the sponsors of the tour?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »

I've been doing interesting things.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2005, 11:19:58 AM »

So, what happens if you don't own a video camera? We don't own one, and I certainly wouldn't jump to buy one for an assignment. Heck, much of the time my kids were in middle and and high school, we didn't even have a working television, which presented a problem when the kids were assigned to watch a movie for an assignment. The teachers always looked askance at us for not having a television.

Out here in many of the schools, teachers are no longer using red pens to correct students' work, because the red ink hurts the children's feelings and lowers their self esteem.

Also, out here, teachers have been known to show movies in class instead of teaching. Not educational movies, but "movie-theater movies."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »

Also, out here, teachers have been known to show movies in class instead of teaching. Not educational movies, but "movie-theater movies."
And we all know how historically accurate movies can be.  Oliver Stone is vindicated at last!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2005, 11:50:50 AM »

Another fantastic artist/illustrator is Bob Venosa.  He did a lot of the psychedelic album covers for Columbia in the 1960s and 1970s.

BTW, did you know that Phil Hartman was an LP cover designer before he broke into comedy?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:05 AM »

And we all know how historically accurate movies can be.  Oliver Stone is vindicated at last!

Not to mention Graeme Clifford.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »

I think I have an LP by Firefall or Poco that Phil Hartman designed. Who did Bob Venosa do covers for?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up