Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANCE CARD  (Read 27434 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DANCE CARD
« on: April 10, 2005, 11:57:56 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you ready the notes quite quickly, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, although that won't be any time soon, as their dance cards are quite full.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:00:26 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE DANCE CARD
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:22:47 AM »

Speaking of Dancing Cows, the library where I work purchased the book Philadelphia Chickens, written by Sandra Boynton.  It has a CD with songs performed by such performers as Meryl Streep, The Bacon Brothers, Laura Linney, Kevin Kline and Scott Bakula.  Anyway, one of the songs is called "Cows."  Well, several women in our Central Reference Department fell in love with the book and put together a dance routine to the "Cows" song!  They made cow tuxedos (with spotted top hats and cow tails, even!) and performed it for a couple of retirement celebrations, as well as our library's All Staff Day!  It was quite (there's that word, yet again ;)) a hit! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:33:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: BRIC-A-BRAC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:49:17 AM »

My favourite meal as a child was (and still is) corned beef, mashed potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 12:51:10 AM »

I've been working on this homework long enough, and I'm calling it finished. It's this assignment we get every week: a 250-word response to the week's reading. I'm getting really tired of these. I've been working myself stupid over these weekly responses, and come to find out the girl who sits next to me in class has been lifting all hers from Cliffs Note-type websites. That takes guts because I would NOT want this teacher to be mad at me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 12:53:27 AM »

In those less sophisticated days of childhood when options were rather limited, I also had a liking for blancmange. Todays' task for DR Joey - investigate the availablity of blancmange and also junket tablets.
I hope by now that DR Joey knows all the lyrics for "Pineapple Princess".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:48:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  I was wide awake at 5:55, so I forced myself to leave the security of my bed to face the surgeon this morning.  I have to catch the bus to 59th Street between 8-8:15.  When I'm back, I'll post whatever did or did not occur.

Bric-a-brac?  Isn't that French for tchotchke?  I have lots of paper items, books and music, but few pieces of bric-a-brac, my favorite being my Disney Alice in Wonderland cookie jar.  One of my landladies in college had a house filled with DaVinci Last Supper bric-a-brac: paint-by-number, velvet painting, plaques, mugs, ashtrays, cushions, etc.  Paying the rent was like a bad church service.

Dish du jour, or TOD:  my passive-aggressive mother was a wonderful cook when she could get it together.  After 1961, she couldn't get it together too often or too well so things went downhill mentally, socially, and domestically:  she discovered prefab food and our dining habits went to hell.  By 1965, I don't think she did more than stock the refrigerator with frozen items.

However, when she was on, there was no one better:  apple pie, doughnuts, popcorn balls, pineapple upside-down cake, stuffed green peppers, baked ham, and the best pecan pie I've ever had, primarily because my mother's flare for turning flour, crisco, water and sugar into piecrust was a God-given talent that few possess.

Good morning, DRHisaka!

And now DRTomovoz has shown up!  Hello, dear friend.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 03:52:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 05:43:24 AM »

My mother was not the best of all cooks, but she did some things rather well.  She was particularly good at whipping up cakes from scratch.   It may surprise you to know that cake is one of my favorite food groups, so I didn't mind that other foods were less within her grasp.

She made Swiss steak very well.  I've come across several versions of Swiss steak over the years-- all different,  Some with tomato sauce, some without.  I guess hers was not really Swiss steak, but it was good.  It involved  beating the steak silly.  And silly steak is something to behold. There was a special plate that she'd use the edge of to accomplish this.  Almost everyone I've met (of a certain age) remembers a plate like that that there mothers and/or grandmothers would use.
I was always fond of our family's version of "goulash."  

In recent decades she became adept at Chinese cooking.  Her Lemon Chicken is some of the best I've had.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 05:44:08 AM »

I've got 45 minutes to put myself together and magically become perky.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:58:31 AM »

Meals My Mother Made Me:

Eggs, sunnyside up
French Toast
Ham and cheese sandwiches, mustard and mayo, with the crust cut off
Home Fries
Cream Puffs (these were more fun to make than to eat)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 06:06:12 AM »

Has anyone ever seen a motion pictured entitled I Know Where I'm Going starring Wendy Hiller?  It's being featured at this week's Philadelphia Film Festival and got quite a write-up in the Philadelphia Inquirer as a great undiscovered movie classic.  I'm curious to see it, and as it's available on DVD from Criterion and rather pricey at that, it would probably be more economic to see it at the festival screening.  Is it really on the level of The Quiet Man or Local Heroes, as the newspaper article exclaimed?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 06:14:32 AM »

Never heard of I Know Where I'm Going. Althought this is not necessarily the best endorsement, someone at IMDB (Internet Movie Database) says "There's not much to say about this film, apart from the fact that it's gorgeous and irrestistable."

I always liked my mother's spaghetti sauce.

We are having "database" problems. Seems they changed the firewall over the weekend and now it's doing the job too well. We can't get into programs we should be able to open. Oh, well. I'll just surf the Web until I'm caught or until something happens otherwise.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 07:19:44 AM »

Last night, DR Jed wrote: "Not quite right.  Boston Legal actually returns in two weeks to finish up the last few weeks of the season.  I need my Denny Crane fix."

Sorry to disagree, but DR George was right when he said BOSTON LEGAL would not be returning this season. ABC has decided to stick with GREY'S ANATOMY in that time slot for the rest of the season and hold over the last five new episodes of BOSTON LEGAL from this season until next fall. They have promised BOSTON LEGAL will get a 27 episode season next year.

If the ratings continue to be high with GREY'S ANATOMY at 10 p.m. on Sunday, expect to see BOSTON LEGAL slide to either Tuesday at 10 or Wednesday at 10 next season. Both of the shows in those time slots are in trouble and probably won't be returning next year (which I hate because I think Tim Daly's new show EYES is excellent).

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 07:28:05 AM »

And I'm back!  The examination was uncomfortable, awkward, and gross.  The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday May 17, and it sounds unpleasant as hell.  My surgeon, Dr Mitchell Bernstein, is a handsome young man, but he's wearing a ring so I don't think I'll try to match him up with anyone.  Sorry!

This gives me a month and two weks to finish up all the work on my desk and prepare for several weeks of recovery.  

I meant to mention earlier what a wonderful photo of Ann and Jed DRTCB posted last night, and how much I enjoyed seeing the Indianapolis delegation in full color.  Or did I and I already forgot?  DRGinny's DHRichard was my best friend through junior high and high school, and it would have been nice to see if he's ageing as well as DRGinny and evergreen moi are!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 07:44:39 AM »

I Know Where I'm Going is film perfection.  It's an early Powell/Pressburger (Red Shoes, Black Narcissus).  Great, character-driven story and scenery to die for.

Good surgery vibes for Elmore.

George, we have one of those Boynton book/CDs that my kids adore.  I think it has a Rhino on the cover--I'll check and post the title later.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »

I have not caught up.  We were out at the ICON at StonyBrook University, where in the past we have been privileged to meet with DR CP's cl;ose and personla friend Harlan Ellison (alas not this year) although we did meet with Ben Bova and Jack McDevitt  amongst other and sun dried autors, media guests,scientist types. etc etc

We did cut short our Saturday festivities though when  I received a call on my cellphone from my good and dear neighbor, Mike, to inform us that there was a BMW SUV sitting in our front lawn, having first knocked down our telephone pole, torn through our chain link fence  and ending up in the trunk of our maple tree.

So went home and met the dad of the 18 year old driver of the 2005 BMW SUV ( daddy had pulled up in his corvette)  he apologized for the inconvenience that had been caused and promised to make things right.  We inqyuired as to whether his son was in the hospital and he said that oh no, sonny was sitting in  daddy's car, where he was to stay incommunicato the entire time.  

We still have no phone service and of course (since we use dial up) no internet service.

Can't think of a  "mommy meal" at the moment

laters!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 07:50:22 AM »

DR Jed, here is the news blurb from USA TODAY about GREY'S ANTOMY and BOSTON LEGAL:

'Grey's Anatomy' makes the cut

ABC's medical drama Grey's Anatomy has extended its residency on Sundays (10 p.m. ET/PT) and will air through the end of the season in May. Boston Legal, which was scheduled to return April 24, instead will return next season with 27 episodes, including five that were to air this season. Since its March 27 debut, Grey's has improved upon Legal's ratings, drawing an average of 17 million viewers compared with 12.5 million for Legal.

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 07:51:38 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~HEALTH VIBES~~~[/move]

to dear elmore

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 07:52:07 AM »

I can hardly wait to get the new Doris Day boxed set on DVD. JUMBO has always been a favorite with that superb score sung by all of them to a fare-thee-well. James Joyce (not the author) did the dubbing for Stephen Boyd.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 07:55:53 AM »

My mother was a superb country cook. She made the best fried chicken I've ever tasted (one reason why fried chicken remains my favorite dish), and could do wonders with standard things like meat loaf and beef stew.

When I graduated from college, I moved back home to start teaching and work on my master's degree. She had mastered what became my favorite "new" dish that she could cook - turkey tetrazinni. I used to BEG her to make it, and I would honestly have two meals of it every time she fixed it: the usual supper with mom and dad and then two hours later, a salad plate full of it.

I've said this before here, but she also made the best cocoanut cake I've ever had, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »

Charles Pogue, I agree with you about Bette Davis' ego. It knew NO bounds and caused considerable consternation on almost every set even in her later years. She vexed veterans Helen Hayes and Lillian Gish terribly on MURDER WITH MIRRORS and THE WHALES OF AUGUST. She seems to have been jealous of anyone who she perceived could match her in fame or talent and became literally a bitch to work with. I can admire many of her performances, but I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end of her barbs and ill-treatment.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 08:05:25 AM »

Due to being away last night, I missed DEADWOOD and forgot to record it as well. Thankfully, HBO makes it very easy to catch up with all their shows rebroadcasting them constantly on their various channels.

George

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 08:14:49 AM »

George, we have one of those Boynton book/CDs that my kids adore.  I think it has a Rhino on the cover--I'll check and post the title later.

It's called "Rhinoceros Tap" and here's the cover:

And here's the cover of "Philadelphia Chickens"

I love Sandra Boynton's illustrations!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 08:16:48 AM »

And Patti LuPone who sings one of the songs on the "Philadelphia Chickens" CD, is coming to Seattle this week and I got tickets for my birthday!!;D My birthday isn't until May 5 (Cinco de Mayo), but I get my present now!  I can't wait!! ;D

George

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 08:18:57 AM »

It's now time for me to take a shower and go to work.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:02 AM »

Good Morning!

DR elmore - Continued Good Health Vibes to you.

DR vixmom - I'm looking forward to the continuation of your story... Even though you may not be... ;)  Just glad to know that no one was hurt.

As for favorite growing-up meals...  I'd have to say breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.   Lots of toast - Wonder Bread preferably.  My brothers and I could easily go through a loaf or two on a Saturday morning.  And pancake mornings were also highly anticipated - Bisquick, of course!

As for a meal-meal, most probably meatloaf.  And I believe meatloaf was one of the first "hot foods" I learned to cook.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:51 AM »

Well, time for me to finish packing and getting ready for my flight...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 08:41:16 AM »

Well, time for me to finish packing and getting ready for my flight...

Laters...

Safe flight, DRJose!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 08:42:21 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIbes of GOOD HEALTH for DR Elmore!  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  Pleasant Travel Vibes for DR Jose!  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 08:44:12 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 08:48:24 AM »

Justcaught up with Sunday's posts ( I am going backwards!!) and congratulations to TCB!  The mamma Mia meet looked wonderful and I wish I could have been there to join with the Indiana delegation.  

Jack , you have a beautiful face, I would love it on your posts, and I too am sad that DH Richard didn't make it into any of trhe pictures.

GOOD TRIP VIBES to Jose!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up