Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BASED ON CHARACTERS CREATED BY STIEG LARSSON  (Read 4701 times)

Jennifer

Re: BASED ON CHARACTERS CREATED BY STIEG LARSSON
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »

DR Jennifer I missed the part that your knew Kindle is an Oasis.  I am excited for you.  Congratulations.

Thanks. My other kindle (which still works although slower) is like 10 years old. And I use it every day. So it's quite exciting. It took me a bit to get used to all of the new features (as it is very different from my older one). The main thing that confused me was when to use the page turns, vs tapping, vs swiping.  And there was one feature (where to find my notes) that took me a week until i figured it out perfectly.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »

DR Vixmom's moving story of voting with her mother inspired me to share this story of a 104 year old woman voting.
https://www.newsweek.com/video-104-year-old-ruth-woman-voting-against-trump-1542074?fbclid=IwAR2hXlq9QodvzxF9TXyIo3P__Q5_r_qw-y20Z3xoP3dly_bb7P-8rhbyzcM

That’s wonderful, thank you for sharing, Jane
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »

Jane, you said you didn’t much care for Beach Read. I’m an hour in and am rather irritated. I can easily move on to something else or listen to the last 90 minutes or so. Suggestions? Anyone else read it?

It seems you like it less than I did.  I suggest jumping to the end or simply moving on to something better.

If you're talking about Beach Read by Emily Henry then I have read it.  Most people love this book.  To me it was just okay. But I think that part of it is that I read it in March (right when quarantine started).  I was looking for a light fun romance, something to make me feel good and make me happy. And to me this book was not that at all.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2020, 10:52:31 AM »

John I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that squash soup recipe.  I am having it for lunch right now, perfect for this cold, grey dreary day
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

Browsing this week's Met Opera freebies, I find this is "Politics in Opera" week.

In the contemporary music department, we have John Adams's Nixon in China on Thursday, John Corigliano's The Ghosts of Versailles on Saturday, and Philip Glass's Satyagraha on Sunday. I'm a little 'eh' on the Adams and Glass, but I have to say that those delightful Ghosts are not to be missed.

I love Nixon in China. But Ghosts is better.

I'd probably like it if I ever sat down and really watched it. I'm afraid I've only seen little segments of it, which isn't giving it (or me) a chance at all.

I love The Ghosts of Versailles, and the Manhattan School of Music production several years ago was quite wonderful.  That first aria of Figaro's is really brilliant. I would love to have the DVD of the Met broadcast.  I had it on VHS.

I haven't looked yet, so will just ask -- is the Manhattan production available?

The Met one is in the Levine set. If you don't have it, I'd be happy to burn you a copy.

I would love it if you would burn me a copy.  I saw the Manhattan School of Music production live.  I don't believe it's available.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2020, 10:59:20 AM »

DR George, about the refrigerator door: on Wednesday, when the service man called Crane Cooling, I distinctly heard him tell the man on the other end that the door was hinged on the LEFT.  When it arrived on Saturday, it was still packed and hinged on the RIGHT.  The installers, who were really quite wonderful, were not happy that they had to fetch their toolkits to redo the door.

I can imagine them being not happy.  I've had to switch my (or maybe it was my sister's) dryer door to open from the other side, but a dryer door is much smaller than a fridge door, and therefore a much simpler a job to do, which I would never even try on my own.

Two refrigerator door: fridge and freezer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »

I must step out to post a payment.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »

I passed my dental exam today. The guy in the waiting room told me he was having FOUR teeth pulled today.  The sounds coming from the next room weren't pleasant.

Ouch x 4!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »

John I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that squash soup recipe.  I am having it for lunch right now, perfect for this cold, grey dreary day

I’m so glad you like it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »

Jane, you said you didn’t much care for Beach Read. I’m an hour in and am rather irritated. I can easily move on to something else or listen to the last 90 minutes or so. Suggestions? Anyone else read it?

It seems you like it less than I did.  I suggest jumping to the end or simply moving on to something better.

If you're talking about Beach Read by Emily Henry then I have read it.  Most people love this book.  To me it was just okay. But I think that part of it is that I read it in March (right when quarantine started).  I was looking for a light fun romance, something to make me feel good and make me happy. And to me this book was not that at all.

Thank you, Jennifer. I appreciate that.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

My hair is finally long enough to tie at the back. But it’s not long enough for a man bun. I know that will upset some, but I guess I’ll just have to live with it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »

Gratuitous post No. 101!
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »

JAWS - as DR DRUXY said....

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

I love the original movie, but I've never read the book.  Should I?  My library has it, but only epub, not Kindle.  I'd have to put it on my tablet, which I can do, but I'd have to wait until I'm finished with my current book, and it's a long one.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »

Just broke my favorite coffee mug, burned my foot with the hot coffee that was in it and made a mess everywhere. Welcome to Monday.

Oh, no!  That's too bad about the mug, and...

~~~Foot Feel Better Vibes for John!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »

Speaking of DD Ben - he would NOT be still last night.  When it's time for bed, DD Leo hops on the bed and curls up into a small pod and goes to sleep - usually right up against me - many times during the night, I have to pick him up by his harness and move him so I can move!  But last night, DD Ben just would not settle.  He was making a nest on the floor in the pile of dirty clothes, or he was on the bed looming over me, waiting for something to happen - don't know what, though.  At one point, I was holding him and we fell asleep, and then I heard him on the floor making a nest again.  I pulled him back up, and I was on my stomach trying to sleep, and he was making his way on to the top of my pillow.  Between the 2 DD's , I had 1/4 of the king sized bed as they were both right up against me.  This went on for at least 2 hours.  Finally it was time to get up.  I'm hoping he's better tomorrow.  I don't think he's sick - his nose is cold, etc.  Poor DD Leo, all he wanted to do was sleep!!!   

George

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »

TOD:

A Room with a View
Call Me By Your Name
Time Regained (based on the last volume of Proust)
Wise Blood
Hitchcock’s Rebecca

I've read the book and seen the movie of Call Me By Your Name, so that's on my (relatively short) list.

George

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »

Browsing this week's Met Opera freebies, I find this is "Politics in Opera" week.

In the contemporary music department, we have John Adams's Nixon in China on Thursday, John Corigliano's The Ghosts of Versailles on Saturday, and Philip Glass's Satyagraha on Sunday. I'm a little 'eh' on the Adams and Glass, but I have to say that those delightful Ghosts are not to be missed.

I'll try to remember (a The Fantasticks reference ;) ) to watch some of these!

George

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »

The following two weeks are "From the Baroque to the Present". There's a Bluebeard's Castle on Monday, Nov. 9th, which I will definitely watch. And The Exterminating Angel comes calling again on Sunday the 15th.

I missed The Exterminating Angel, so I want to see that, too!

George

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »

DR Matthew, I hope Ben's eye problem will prove to be nothing.

There doesn't seem to be anymore discharge around the eye as it remained open all day - and ALL NIGHT - that's another story.  I'll take him in tomorrow just to be sure.

Good news, Matthew!

George

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »

I love Nixon in China. But Ghosts is better.

I'd probably like it if I ever sat down and really watched it. I'm afraid I've only seen little segments of it, which isn't giving it (or me) a chance at all.

I love The Ghosts of Versailles, and the Manhattan School of Music production several years ago was quite wonderful.  That first aria of Figaro's is really brilliant. I would love to have the DVD of the Met broadcast.  I had it on VHS.

I haven't looked yet, so will just ask -- is the Manhattan production available?

The Met one is in the Levine set. If you don't have it, I'd be happy to burn you a copy.

I have that Levine set and keep forgetting what's in it.

George

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »

I passed my dental exam today. The guy in the waiting room told me he was having FOUR teeth pulled today.  The sounds coming from the next room weren't pleasant.

I only had three molars.  Two were impacted, but all three were pulled. :P Glad they don't grow back!

George

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »

Probably his dental phobia, which led to the need to extract four teeth, made everything so much worse.

I had a former co-worker who also had a dental phobia and she always had problems.  I don't know if she had (m)any teeth pulled because of it, though...but I would think so.  She never opened her mouth very widely when she spoke. ::)

George

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »

DR George, about the refrigerator door: on Wednesday, when the service man called Crane Cooling, I distinctly heard him tell the man on the other end that the door was hinged on the LEFT.  When it arrived on Saturday, it was still packed and hinged on the RIGHT.  The installers, who were really quite wonderful, were not happy that they had to fetch their toolkits to redo the door.

I can imagine them being not happy.  I've had to switch my (or maybe it was my sister's) dryer door to open from the other side, but a dryer door is much smaller than a fridge door, and therefore a much simpler a job to do, which I would never even try on my own.

Two refrigerator door: fridge and freezer.

Right!  I forgot about that.  Mine's like that, too, but both my mom and sister have fridges that have freezer drawers on the bottom.

George

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »

My hair is finally long enough to tie at the back. But it’s not long enough for a man bun. I know that will upset some, but I guess I’ll just have to live with it.

It's been at least a year since I got my hairs cut last, so I'm right there with ya!

George

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »

Speaking of DD Ben - he would NOT be still last night.  When it's time for bed, DD Leo hops on the bed and curls up into a small pod and goes to sleep - usually right up against me - many times during the night, I have to pick him up by his harness and move him so I can move!  But last night, DD Ben just would not settle.  He was making a nest on the floor in the pile of dirty clothes, or he was on the bed looming over me, waiting for something to happen - don't know what, though.  At one point, I was holding him and we fell asleep, and then I heard him on the floor making a nest again.  I pulled him back up, and I was on my stomach trying to sleep, and he was making his way on to the top of my pillow.  Between the 2 DD's , I had 1/4 of the king sized bed as they were both right up against me.  This went on for at least 2 hours.  Finally it was time to get up.  I'm hoping he's better tomorrow.  I don't think he's sick - his nose is cold, etc.  Poor DD Leo, all he wanted to do was sleep!!!   

~~~Sleeping Vibes for Matthew and Both DDs!!~~~

George

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »

My Topic of the Day list (books I have read and their movies I have seen):

Auntie Mame
Call Me By Your Name
To Kill A Mockingbird

And Honorable Mention TV show:  The Expanse.  I've read the first four books and am currently reading the fifth.  I've only seen season one (and saw it before I read the books), but I really liked how they adapted the books. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - was up at eight dealing with a text, then back to bed at nine-thirty - so maybe a total of five hours or a little less.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »

Have to do a quick Zoom in ten minutes - no ring light in the world will help me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »

I forgot to include Gone With the Wind!  Even though one of Scarlett's husbands is ignored for time, it's still a wonderful adaptation.

Laura

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

He was at least my age. I don't think these were wisdom teeth.

I had 5 wisdom teeth. They passed my x-ray around the office that day.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up