Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A PATCH OF BLU  (Read 4416 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: A PATCH OF BLU
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 05:38:32 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 05:38:55 AM »

Dental vibes for all in need.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 05:41:52 AM »

DR JohnG, this is my favorite Dinah Washington song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6626Zmhm1Q

Wonderful. Quincey Jones and his orchestra keep threatening to take over the song with a wild arrangement, but Dinah rules.

Too bad my showing started with a commercial featuring Charles Koch. I skipped it as soon as possible, but I also think my phone needs to be cleansed.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 05:42:39 AM »

Exorcised, maybe. He is a veritable minion of Satan.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 05:44:07 AM »

DEXTEROUS is not my favorite sugar substitute.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 06:05:17 AM »

I knew in the 1980s his gay brother Frederick, who wanted me to orchestrate a ballet for the NYC Ballet.  Peter Martins, a real shit, vertoed me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 06:23:15 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »

TOD

Eating-wise, there are any number of New England diners all across the region that would be a huge loss, and I've been terrified to check into each of them to see who's still standing. One local informal jernt in particular would be my number one devastating loss, should it come to that. I'm not as up to date on this as I should be, and something could be slipping through my fingers as we speak.

The loss of Westchester Broadway yesterday is a blow, even if it's a place I hadn't been to in years. At least I didn't contribute to that by staying away. They were always successful. The final cultural blow is that the landlord of the building will gut the theater and it will become a warehouse. If that landlord was going without rent for these eight months, I can understand that business decision. And where has our government been in all of this?

Theater-wise, otherwise, it remains to be seen. We're rich in regional and community theater here, and of course there's been nothing since this started. The outdoor ones have only a summer season, so they all lost an entire year. The state is supposedly entering "phase whatever" which will allow a certain percentage of indoor seating, and at least one regional theater was about ready to open in compliance with that. But I don't know the latest.

Way back at the beginning of this, the area's one (very successful) four-screen art house movie theater fell to Covid, and at least two others in different parts of the state followed. Those deaths were, like, immediate.

And so it goes.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:00 AM »

As I write "New England diners", I hope for the best for vixmom's Long Island diners and all the others across New Jersey and Westchester. No other part of the country is as rich in these types of places. The only real comparison I could make would be the multitude of wonderful coffee shops in Southern California...and God knows how many of the great ones were already lost in recent years due to greed and apathy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 07:01:46 AM »

Well, I need to finish my li'l coffee hour and stop posting and start moving my bloomin' arse.

I need to make a run to Home Depot and then to the supermarket. I should go to Staples for a few things, but I think that's going to have to wait a few days. I will then stop by the post office to mail this DVD to DR Elmore. And through the rest of the day, I must devote myself to finishing up an odd but amusing musical transcription project for someone.

John G.

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 08:26:54 AM »

TOD:

I’ve lost too many friends in the restaurant biz to keep track of. My favorite Italian restaurant is probably the hardest to bear. They were among the smart ones who got out at the beginning of the pandemic. The ones who are operating on a smaller scale could disappear at any moment. But as I’ve cut my circle back, I’m eating out less and less, and cooking more.

I think what scares me most about covid is the threat of the loss of smell and taste.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »

I knew in the 1980s his gay brother Frederick, who wanted me to orchestrate a ballet for the NYC Ballet.  Peter Martins, a real shit, vertoed me.

Martins was also fired for harassment, as I recall.

And the last I heard, they were trying to raise money to give back to the Kochs, so the hall at Lincoln Center could be named after someone less venal.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »

I understand the evil Koch brothers do not acknowledge their brother Frederick and vice versa.  As for Martins, I first encountered him the summer of 1973 when I worked at the Jacobs Pillow Dance Festival, and he was a guest star dancer for a week.  He struck me then as a narcissist who would spend his time naked in front of a mirror.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »

The three cats and I had a nice lie-down, and now I will check yesterday's mail.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »

That is possible DR singdaw.

Now making an appearance in my kitchen: A DePauw University laptop......so hopefully tonight I will be ready to go.

No word on re-recording Scene Two.....but my guess is that we will do sooner or later.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »

My town is down four police officers....and we only have one detective.

Before - there had been a hundred applicants for a position....this time around, there were eight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:40 AM »

Astrological doings:

There’s no doubt about it, love is in the air when Venus moves into relationship-focused Libra. Venus is Libra’s planetary ruler, and the resulting lovely, airy energy when they pair up is like no other. There’s no rocking the boat now, as obtaining peace and harmony is one of this duo’s main objectives.

So, can anything ruin this wonderful gift of pleasantness you’ll be experiencing today? Well, funny you should mention that, because while Mercury also enters fair-minded Libra, the fact that it’s in its last retrograde cycle of the year can really turn your love life upside down. The tea can really spill now, and as the drama increases, so does your insecurity. Maybe things aren’t as lovely as they seem?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »

Barnum doesn't know it but he's thrown his last raisin out of his cage for awhile.

Starting tomorrow - he gets walnuts.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »

Well, I need to get to bed.  My dental appointment is in the morning, and it's before I go to work, so I need to get up earlier than usual.

Have a good day, all!
I also have a dental. Two root canals

Good vibes to you.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

Now Jaye tells me she is bringing me some "computer equipment" before the recording tonight.

She will be here at 10:45 this morning.  I do not know what it is or what it is all about.  I do not know if we have to RE-record scene two and my bow.....I guess these questions will be answered soon.

Something that was supposed to be fun has turned into HELL.....so we shall see what happens.

I hope in the end you will be glad you did this.  I am sorry it has been hell instead of fun.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »

TOD:

I’ve lost too many friends in the restaurant biz to keep track of. My favorite Italian restaurant is probably the hardest to bear. They were among the smart ones who got out at the beginning of the pandemic. The ones who are operating on a smaller scale could disappear at any moment. But as I’ve cut my circle back, I’m eating out less and less, and cooking more.

I think what scares me most about covid is the threat of the loss of smell and taste.

I have not read of anyone who said their sense of small and taste did not return.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »

~~~DENTAL VIBES~~~ for DR vixmom this morning!

(Well, for DR George as well, but he doesn't need them quite as much)

Thanks, Singdaw...I think. ;)

~~~Ditto Vibes for Vixmom!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »

I have never even heard of A Patch of Blue. It appears to be available for streaming on Amazon, so will remedy that.

I am surprised you never heard of it.  I too think it is a wonderful film.

I've heard of it, but I've never watched it all the way through.  I've seen bits of it at times over the years, but not the whole thing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »

My town is down four police officers....and we only have one detective.

Before - there had been a hundred applicants for a position....this time around, there were eight.

I fear the damage to the police forces with all the hate directed at them because of the bad officers.  I have a friend who's husband is an officer in a department that adopted a more progressive approach a long time ago.  The verbal abuse she and her husband have had to deal with this year is sad.  Understandably she already feared for his life before the attacks against officers.  They have discussed his retiring very early.  I hope he doesn't leave as other good officers have done.

Jane

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2020, 10:15:41 AM »

Barnum doesn't know it but he's thrown his last raisin out of his cage for awhile.

Starting tomorrow - he gets walnuts.

;D  I hope he likes these better than raisins.

George

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »

Well, I need to get to bed.  My dental appointment is in the morning, and it's before I go to work, so I need to get up earlier than usual.

Have a good day, all!
I also have a dental. Two root canals

~~~Vibes for Pain-Free-As-Possible Root Canals for Michael!!~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »

After the service man left last Wednesday, and I began taking photos and magnets off the refrigerator door, I discovered my laundry card was missing.  I'm not accusing him ofd stealing it, but it was nowhere to be found.  I contacted the laundry company and my new card arrived in yesterday's post.  Unfortunately, the card enclosed no instructions, so I had to finally resort to calling customer service to learn how to add the card to my account and add money. 

Jane

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »

TCB while I have read some great memoirs they are not my favorite reading or books for discussions.  While complaining at the discussion regarding the editing and lack of depth at times I was reminded that this was written & published extra fast.  They wanted the book released while he is still alive and before other's wrote about him. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »

I am back from Home Depot, Shop Rite, and the US Postal Service in Brookfield, CT, where DR Elmore's package begins its journey.

ETA is Friday, which seems a little bit out there, but maybe it'll do better. I've got the tracking number.

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2020, 10:27:22 AM »

DR Jrand70, I don't believe any of us need the tea spilling now, thankyouverymuch. Please see what you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up