Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A PATCH OF BLU  (Read 4421 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: A PATCH OF BLU
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »

four!!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »

The only restaurant I know that has definitely closed is Cafe Frida, and I mourn its passing.

I do, too, DR Elmore!

Locally, the one that comes to mind is the Houston Inn, which is outside Lebanon and was famous for its salad bar.  I think those are long gone and HI announced their permanent closing in the summer. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »

Jane, a few nights ago I started Barry Maitland's A RAVEN'S EYE. I like Maitland's work. He's a competent writer and has a different take than other mystery writers. The story revolves around two Swedish sisters, one of whom is named Freyja. I'd never heard the name until you posted that that's your granddaughter's name. This Freyja is strikingly attractive and extremely bright. Her sister is named Gudrun, which isn't nearly as pretty, IMO.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »

The pain from this bladder stone has gotten worse, so I’m having an X-ray tomorrow and a doctor’s appointment Thursday. If I last that long. It’s hard moving about.

~~~Feel Better and QUICKLY Vibes for John!!~~~

Ditto! I thought the stone had passed the other day. Sorry you're still dealing with it.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

Richard has a philosophy:  If there’s a business you want around when this is all over, patronize them NOW.  Just yesterday he drove me to Hamilton to purchase yarn at Lambikin’s Hideaway for that very reason.  I’m knitting a baby blanket for our great niece who’s due in January.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

I'm very sorry that Jerry's Deli is closing. I know what a staple it has been for BK.

As for restaurants here, the salad bar I used to frequent was a real loss. I went there not so much for salad, but for the sandwich bar, soup bar, and juice bar. They're doing catering now, but their options are far fewer. A real shame.

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »

The pain from this bladder stone has gotten worse, so I’m having an X-ray tomorrow and a doctor’s appointment Thursday. If I last that long. It’s hard moving about.

Sorry to hear this, DR John G - hope you feel better soon.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

On the positive side, the little vegan Italian restaurant has been doing fine. They have only one table -- a large one -- for family-style dining. The owner told me that business hasn't really changed since Covid, but it was mostly take-out and delivery to start with.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2020, 04:24:07 PM »

:(   Vibes the pain eases up.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »

Jane, a few nights ago I started Barry Maitland's A RAVEN'S EYE. I like Maitland's work. He's a competent writer and has a different take than other mystery writers. The story revolves around two Swedish sisters, one of whom is named Freyja. I'd never heard the name until you posted that that's your granddaughter's name. This Freyja is strikingly attractive and extremely bright. Her sister is named Gudrun, which isn't nearly as pretty, IMO.

I hadn't heard of the name until they mentioned it as a possibility and fell in love with it.  They almost didn't give her the name as it is too popular these days. 

Jane

« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »

Jeannie do you think it will matter if I begin the series with this book?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »

As much as I want to see restaurants remain open, some of them need to step up to the plate. Today I went out for falafel take-out at a place I've been many times. The young man who took my order at the counter was polite and helpful, but a few minutes later went outside to say hello to his buddies. First the hug, then handshakes. He wore a mask, but his buddies did not. He came indoors and resumed his duties without washing his hands. I found this off-putting. It wouldn't have bothered me pre-Covid, but it bothers me now. I think many people only wear a mask because it's mandatory and don't understand why it's important to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. People have gotten blase and it's no wonder that the case numbers have risen.

This is not good for business! Many of us now have higher standards for restaurants than we did before Covid. We want things to be clean!

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »

Richard has a philosophy:  If there’s a business you want around when this is all over, patronize them NOW.  Just yesterday he drove me to Hamilton to purchase yarn at Lambikin’s Hideaway for that very reason.  I’m knitting a baby blanket for our great niece who’s due in January.

I agree in theory but haven't been doing it.  We really don't have many stores here that we frequented to begin with.  So far the local restaurants we eat at are open.  We have only been to Beaches once to eat there.  We purchased a large credit card from them just before the pandemic so we feel as if we are supporting them. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

It's not a series. I think all his books are stand-alones. But I must warn you that it's a murder mystery and yes, the sisters are killed. Not so happy in that respect.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2020, 04:35:14 PM »

As much as I want to see restaurants remain open, some of them need to step up to the plate. Today I went out for falafel take-out at a place I've been many times. The young man who took my order at the counter was polite and helpful, but a few minutes later went outside to say hello to his buddies. First the hug, then handshakes. He wore a mask, but his buddies did not. He came indoors and resumed his duties without washing his hands. I found this off-putting. It wouldn't have bothered me pre-Covid, but it bothers me now. I think many people only wear a mask because it's mandatory and don't understand why it's important to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. People have gotten blase and it's no wonder that the case numbers have risen.

This is not good for business! Many of us now have higher standards for restaurants than we did before Covid. We want things to be clean!

Since you stop there often will you let the owner know.  Pre-covid not washing his hands would have bothered me.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »

Bruce was your Jerry's that just closed the last remaining Jerry's to still be open?

Jane

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »

It's not a series. I think all his books are stand-alones. But I must warn you that it's a murder mystery and yes, the sisters are killed. Not so happy in that respect.

I read mysteries.  Since Freyja is killed I think I will pass ;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »

I agree with DH Richard's approach. I make a point of going to the mom-and-pop Mexican place as much as possible because I want them to stay in business. I didn't ask for a refund when my Indian food was delivered 2 hours and 15 minutes after I ordered it. (I did get an apology from the owner/manager and a refund offer.) I'm overlooking mistakes as much as possible because these businesses are so fragile right now. I tip even for take-out, which I didn't do until a few years ago. I'm trying to support them as much as possible.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:43:36 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »

Since you stop there often will you let the owner know.  Pre-covid not washing his hands would have bothered me.

I don't know the manager there and am reluctant to complain in a public forum such as Yelp. If I can mention something discreetly I will.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »

I read mysteries.  Since Freyja is killed I think I will pass ;D

Understandable.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »

Once Covid is gone and people can mingle freely again new stores and restaurants will pop up. That doesn't help those who went bankrupt after decades in business and I truly hope they won't all be chains. I'd like to see a new retail landscape with fewer large chain stores and go back to the days of lots of small, unique businesses.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »

Re SCOTUS:
I have a  hunch that there will be a surprise with Amy Coney Barrett. I don't know what the surprise will be, but for weeks now I've had this feeling.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »

Now I really should try to get a bit more done today.

TTFN.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »

I have been.  I would get take-out from all the local places and chains in the area that I had regularly eaten at.  And now, a few places do have distanced inside seating, so there's that. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »

I don't know the manager there and am reluctant to complain in a public forum such as Yelp. If I can mention something discreetly I will.

I wouldn't want to complain in a public forum right now.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »

I am back from the dentist.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »

Re SCOTUS:
I have a  hunch that there will be a surprise with Amy Coney Barrett. I don't know what the surprise will be, but for weeks now I've had this feeling.

I hope you are right and it is a very good surprise.

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:33 PM »

Thank you for the vibes , they seemed to have worked

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2020, 05:15:26 PM »

My dentist deemed that the root canal was unnecessary and gave me a temporary crown. 

vixmom

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »

This also cut my bill in half so that was a bonus

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up