Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FATTY BITS  (Read 20274 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:FATTY BITS
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2005, 10:22:30 AM »

Re yesterday's TOD: I cannot think of any songs or pieces of music that I would have liked to write.  I take too much pleasure in discovering what others have done, and I'm grateful for their gifts and sharing.

How's THAT for being obsequious!   8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2005, 10:23:14 AM »

I'm still catching up!  Too busy to dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2005, 10:24:36 AM »

Nice new avatar DRDANISE.  I like it better when you are smiling!

Hmmmmmm....hope you feel better DRELMORE.

Well MRBK is hobnobbing and rubbing elbows with the other stars today so we have to keep posting.

DRMATTH - I only know of the MIDNIGHT LACE vhs, which I have and watch now and then.  And now and then we see the wardrobe tests in a short that is shown on TCM....interesting to see Doris laughing (silent test) and modeling the clothes....very similar to some episodes of her series that were fashion shows.  I often wondered what the audience supposedly did while she changed clothes AND hairstyles.

Books I wish I had written:

ATLAS SHRUGGED and THE FOUNTAINHEAD
DANDELION WINE
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »

MADAME X just finished.  Oh my - so sad - so beautiful.  It has been written that Lana Turner refused to lookat herself in the mirror when she was made up for the final few scenes.

Next up THE CHILDREN'S HOUR.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 11:00:57 AM »

Yesterday I was E&T because we were dogging again!

We got up bright and early to drive over to the SPCA pound.  There, in the rain, we picked up Jax, a very good-looking German Shepard Dog/Husky mix, I'd say maybe three or four years old.  Our mission was to drive him across state lines (not staid lions) and over the Bay Bridge to Annapolis, MD, where we would be met by two women from that city's local rescue society.

Der Brucer only missed getting off the right highway offramp once...and then when he got back to where we were supposed to be, only made two more wrong turns.  Jax didn't care; he was so happy to be out of the cage he'd been in for four weeks at the pound!

Once we got to our meeting-place destination, I ran him around the parking lot for a bit while der B took care of the paperwork with the two ladies.  Jax loved that.  Then it was time for him to head on to his new life.  He jumped right into the back of their Jeep, all smiles, and I wished him a good life.-

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »

Sunday greetings from windy and snowy  ::) SW Ohio!

After my trying Tues-Sat work week, I'm glad to have today and tomorrow off.  Last night I watched the entire second half of the last season of  Sex and the City.  I laughed and cried.

Today, DH Richard and I are going to Cincinnati for a visit with our son and some much-needed (for me, anyway) Graeter's ice cream.

Danise, what a lovely new picture!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 11:32:24 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »

After that, der B and I decided to do some shopping.

First came a visit to the Annapolis Trader Joe's.  We haven't been to a TJs since we left Long Beach, a year and a half.  I swear, I started to hyperventilate!  We started out with a hand-basket to load our goodies into, but switched fairly soon to a full-sized cart.  Lots of sausages, and cheeses, and frozen items to try.  And der Brucer stocked up on caviar, of course.

Then we went to the nearest bookstore, a Borders, and filled up two baskets quite easily.  Most of the stuff we bought is intended for the grandlads; their birthdays are coming soon.  But I did find the OCRs of The Frogs and A Year with Frog and Toad, and we've enjoyed both already.  A collection of Alec Guinness films also found their way into our trove, which should be fun, along with a book and DVD on how to make sushi.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2005, 11:16:18 AM »

On our way home, we got a call from our local Rescue leader.  She was thrilled with der B's report on Jax...and there's a mama dog and her six pups that need to be transported next week, up towards New Jersey.

We haven't confirmed that we're doing that trip...yet.

::)

Other that that, things quieted down.  They sort of had to, because we stopped by our favorite watering hole and didn't drink water.  Instead, der B got into a fascinating conversation with Peter, formerly of Berlin, who lived there before the wall went up and has visited several times after the wall came down.

After that, and the quaffing that accompanied the conversation, it was time to get home and not get on-line.  The dogs all cuddled close, and a good night was had by all.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2005, 11:28:03 AM »

Hello, dear elmore - are you feeling better this afternoon?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2005, 11:37:29 AM »

Here's vibes for BK's throat!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2005, 11:49:32 AM »

Hello, dear elmore - are you feeling better this afternoon?

Yes, DRGinny.  I'm ready for a nap but I'm enjoying the music to REEFER MADNESS on Showtime.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2005, 11:52:08 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from church...

It was my first time at Mass in a long time, so...

It seemed like the priest had to modify his intended homily in order to work in the news about the Papal election.  Somehow it worked, but nothing really seemed to have a through-line, however...

As I sat there listening to him, I noticed something weird about his speech pattern.  Then it dawned on me that he might have taken some sort of public speaking course, and was told that he's one of those people who tend to trail off and get softer at the end of phrases and sentences.  Consequently, each phrase he spoke tended to end on a higher pitch causing a weird emPHASis to his words.  It sort of got entertaining - to me at least - after a while.  Additionally, any words he wanted to stressed were also pitched higher rather than just lower or with more volume.  If one were just casually listening to him - as it appeared most of his "audience" were - it would seem like he was rambling.  Just not a dynamic speaker at all.

But, hey, I went to Mass, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2005, 12:06:42 PM »

Back from Brunch....

<burp>

We headed out to the beautiful Landsdowne Resort and Conference Center for brunch.  What a spread!  The usual breakfast items: eggs, sausage, bacon, grits, potatoes, waffle station, omelet station, eggs-cooked-to-order station, pancake station, dry cereal, etc.  Then there was the hot food: carving station (leg of lamb and prime rib), blackened grouper (quite yummy), grilled chicken, fried chicken, pasta bar, etc.  Then there was the seafood station: crab legs, freshly shucked oysterd, steamed shrimp, smoked salmon (Nova and Lox and sable, I believe), smoked trout, etc.  Then there was the salad bar.  Then the bread "basket" - croissants, rolls, bagels, etc.  Then there was the dessert bar: eggy vanilla ice cream, three cheesecakes (mango, blueberry and plain), cookies, brownies, bread pudding (very good!), pies, rugelach, various toppings, and yes, whipped cream!

Soooooo much food.

Needless to say, I'm a bit stuffed right now.

It was nice spending some time with my family again, and the nieces and nephews were all rather well-behaved.  My parents were very happy to have three of their four boys with them, and we snapped a ton of pics.  I'll see what I can post later.  -Oh, my digital camera seems to be working again?!?!?

And, best of all...My Mom actually picked up the tab!  My brothers and I tried to sneak the bill from the waiter, but she beat us to it.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »

So...

I need to clean up here, and get back on 95 to head down to Richmond.  I shall post more once I get back "home".

DR Danise - Love your new avatar!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2005, 12:41:03 PM »

Back from Brunch....

<burp>
OK, let me see if I've got this in the right order.

First you go to Mass, and then you go to Brunch.

In other words, first you do your penance, and then you sin, right?

::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2005, 01:08:09 PM »

LASSIE marathon on TVLand!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2005, 01:09:17 PM »

DR CP - how did your screenwriting panel go yesterday?  What was the best question you were asked, and the worst?

And did you see the color of DRJANE'S new car:  Phantom Grey.  Perhaps she should nickname it Mosby.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2005, 01:33:15 PM »

Enjoyed DODGE CITY, but yes, there were color registration problems with it, mainly in long shots.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »

How ironic, DR Ginny! I have the SEX AND THE CITY set (Season 6, part II) sitting out ready to be played, too! I think I've got a couple of episodes from part I to watch before I put in part II. It was a marvelous, satisfying last group of episodes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »

DR GINNY the snow was a bit north of me ... so DRJOEY probably got some.  He should be getting his computer back any day, so maybe he will have a report.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2005, 01:42:55 PM »

I also watched THE MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES: George Cukor from THE PHILADELPHIA STORY set today. Good lord,  HUGE chunks of George Cukor's career were simply skipped right over. Yes, I enjoyed seeing SYLVIA SCARLET and CAMILLE and HOLIDAY and DAVID COPPERFIELD, but where were LITTLE WOMEN, GASLIGHT, IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU, THE WOMEN, A WOMAN'S FACE, A DOUBLE LIFE, LES GIRLS, BORN YESTERDAY, MY FAIR LADY, TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT plus his TV work like LOVE AMONG THE RUINS and THE CORN IS GREEN?  

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »

I watched a bit of MADAME X while I was cooking dinner, but I put in DODGE CITY rather than continuing to watch it since I hadn't started at the beginning.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »

I did a bit of yard work right before noon, and I had to wear a sweat shirt because it was cold and the wind was blowing (despite the sun being out). I didn't stay out in that wind for very long.

Danise

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2005, 01:56:58 PM »

Hi Folks!  I feel like I’ve just come back from a trip or something.  

Mom went to bed (still not feeling well, I’m afraid) so I put my headphones on and put in my Meat Loaf:  Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra DVD that I’ve been meaning to watch forever.

What a show!  What a VOICE that man has!   I honestly enjoyed every moment of that DVD.  Wow! What a ride.  I only miss his long hair.  I thought he looked a lot better with it.

I am so sorry I missed the last time he was in Clearwater but I didn’t have a good vehicle and the concert was at night only (no matinee).  I would have been to scared to even attempt to drive over the bridge to get there and back with the van.  For one thing, the lights have a habit of shutting off then coming back on with no reason.  It's fine for day driving but at night, I think not.  Add my poor night vision and I think it’s best to try to stay off the road at night with it.  I feel much more comfortable with Bonnie but must confess I have yet to venture out after dark with her either.  

Next time Meat Loaf comes around, I will see him for sure!!  

I’ve been busy as well.  I did a couple of loads of clothes and have dinner cooking.  A pork roast with sweet potatos.

I’m glad everyone likes my new avatar.  I’m still not 100% happy with it but it’s better then the old one.

Great news about Jax!  I hope he has a long and happy life.  The same for the dog and puppies!  

I must have missed Jane’s picture of her new car.  Let me go back and look.

Oh, and Madame X.  Imagine my surprise when I was flipping through the channels and spotted the same scene that someone posted a still of on this here site just the other day.  I had to stop and watch for awhile before I started the Meal Loaf DVD.  It looked like a good movie.

I want to go wake Mom up so she can sit up a bit before she eats her dinner.  

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »

I have nothing interesting to say today. So here's a quote from the fascinating infomercial that's playing now:

"WOW! I can record episodes of "Junkyard Wars" until the cows come home!!!"
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »

DRMATTH -  Yes MADAME X should be seen from the beginning.

DRDANISE - that's one of my favorite scenes...and the one afterwards when Lana gets on the boat to leave her family.  Long, long tracking shot...first she is in a small boat....no cut.....tracking tracking.....she gets out of the small boat and climbs the stairs onto the yacht....tracking her all the way....no cuts....and she turns....and just as the camera gets onto her face in a medium closeup, a TEAR runs down her cheek.  Whew!  Lana had it goin' on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »

Yesterday was quite busy for me.  I had to go to work for a couple of hours then I went to my parents' house for a party for my niece's 21st birthday with both her mom's (my sister) and dad's sides of the family.  Everyone (for the most part) gets along with everyone else.  Her father's wife does not try to get to know anyone on our side of the family (her husband's ex-wife's side), but she's never been rude...just polite indifference.  Oh, well.

After that, I went with my friend Margo, her daughter Alexis and friends (actually, about 120 people from Alexis' high school) to see Miss Saigon in Seattle.  It's a locally produced professional production at the 5th Avenue Theater.  We were way in the back in the 3rd row from the back wall in the balcony.  Binoculars helped but what do you expect for $25 a ticket?  But the sound was very good and it was a great production.  I knew some of the people in the production!  The Chris and one of the ensemble had performed in shows here in Olympia and the conductor was a guy from Olympia!  We've been in shows together.  He grew up performing in the summer children's theater program "Kids At Play" and has now gone on to bigger and better things!  Margo and I were able to talk to him after the show.  It was great to catch up for a bit.  I didn't get home until almost 1:00 a.m. (we stopped afterwards to get stuff to drink/eat while driving south from Seattle) and I went right to sleep.  I woke up at about 11:30 and have since caught up with all the posts and notes and am on Clip 37 of Donald's radio show.

Today, I plan to record a Louis Armstrong record set for some people I know, that I've been promising to do for several months now.  I really need to get this done.  So, as soon as I'm done with Donald's show, that's what I'll be doing. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2005, 02:25:23 PM »

LASSIE LASSIE LASSIE LASSIE

DR LAURA try Popularity Contest on CMT - they rerun some episodes today....those city slickers can't get anything over on those Vega, Texas, citizens.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »

DR GEORGE - you mentioned MR BK's ULTIMATE TITANIC cd the other day.  It's one of my favorites!  All that great music in one place!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »

DR GEORGE - you mentioned MR BK's ULTIMATE TITANIC cd the other day.  It's one of my favorites!  All that great music in one place!

I listened to it at work yesterday and I really like it.  I consider it to be an instrumental companion to BK's "The Musical Adventures of Peter Pan" and "Cinderella:  Songs from the Classic Fairy Tale" where he took excerpts from all the different musical versions of each of those stories and made one recording for each.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up