Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FASHION PLATE  (Read 30530 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE FASHION PLATE
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »

We throw two big parties a year: Derby and a Holiday one in December.  There's anywhere from 30-60 people at them.  But they are open house in nature and people seem to come in waves, which always makes it better.  Still Julieanne and I are so busy playing hostess and host, we rarely have time to revel in the day until the end when several of our hardcore friends stay late into the night and it gets small enough to really relax.  

Still this is the only time we see some people in the year.  People that we don't want to lose touch with.  Also both parties have become such fixtures that expectations run high and people would be disappointed if we didn't have them, so we're almost obligated.  Every few years we take a break though. Partially we need the rest; and also just to weed out some folk who got invited for a few years, but with whom we never really connected and no great bonds were forged...people I met doing a film or therapists she worked with for awhile.

Throughout the year, we might have smaller gatherings.  Usually, we have a few folks over on Halloween to sit around our fire in the courtyard as we hand out candy to trick or treaters and consume several bottles of wine.  

We will also have game nights....where we have six or eight people over to play various games...from board to parlour.  These are always fun.  And occasionally, I will have boys' night in...which could be anything from poker to trivial pursuit with a half dozen guys.  Though both of these last two we haven't done for a couple of years, it seems.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2005, 10:26:43 AM »

Mermaid.
Why, did someone mention mermaid?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2005, 10:33:47 AM »

We throw two big parties a year: Derby and a Holiday one in December.  There's anywhere from 30-60 people at them.  But they are open house in nature and people seem to come in waves, which always makes it better.  Still Julieanne and I are so busy playing hostess and host, we rarely have time to revel in the day until the end when several of our hardcore friends stay late into the night and it gets small enough to really relax.  

Still this is the only time we see some people in the year.  People that we don't want to lose touch with.  Also both parties have become such fixtures that expectations run high and people would be disappointed if we didn't have them, so we're almost obligated.  Every few years we take a break though. Partially we need the rest; and also just to weed out some folk who got invited for a few years, but with whom we never really connected and no great bonds were forged...people I met doing a film or therapists she worked with for awhile.

Throughout the year, we might have smaller gatherings.  Usually, we have a few folks over on Halloween to sit around our fire in the courtyard as we hand out candy to trick or treaters and consume several bottles of wine.  

We will also have game nights....where we have six or eight people over to play various games...from board to parlour.  These are always fun.  And occasionally, I will have boys' night in...which could be anything from poker to trivial pursuit with a half dozen guys.  Though both of these last two we haven't done for a couple of years, it seems.

We used to do more of this when we had our apartment.  that actually had more room than our house does! (Why we didn't notice that when we were buying I'll never know)

That had a big enclosed porch in the back and a kitchen that was the converted basement of the house, so it was huge and had a bar in it, and then it had a nice backyard that we had the use of.

Nowadays we usually have people over in small groups, a couple here a family there.. its not as nice....I keep trying to persuade WFO he should trade houses with me but some odd reason (Like my house woud fit in his garage) he hasn't expressed any enthusiasm about the idea   :D  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2005, 10:39:52 AM »

Which Desperate HouseWife are you? Take the quiz:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/quiz/index.html

Oh...my...gosh.

It matched me up with EDIE!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »

I will definitely comment on the PHANTOM movie when I see it.  Maybe sometime this weekend.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2005, 11:02:10 AM »

Oh...my...gosh.

I'm curious, if you are male does it say YOU ARE LIKE EDIE, or does it just say she is your match? :)

It said I am Susan (who is actually my favorite Desperate Housewife).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2005, 11:02:46 AM »

Well, we must have a poker night, Pardner Pogue.  And, by gum and by golly and buy bonds I'm going to plan a dinner party in the next four weeks so I can make my famous and yummilicious Beef Stroganoff.  I haven't had a dinner party since throwing one for Mr. Stephen Schwartz and Miss Susan Egan.  THAT was a great dinner party.

vixmom

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »

Oh...my...gosh.

I have never seen the show so I haven't a clew, but apparently I am Lynnette... is that bad?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2005, 11:03:21 AM »

I haven't been off the phone for an hour.  Now, I must try to write a few pages or at least a few lines.

vixmom

« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »

Well, we must have a poker night, Pardner Pogue.  And, by gum and by golly and buy bonds I'm going to plan a dinner party in the next four weeks so I can make my famous and yummilicious Beef Stroganoff.  I haven't had a dinner party since throwing one for Mr. Stephen Schwartz and Miss Susan Egan.  THAT was a great dinner party.

dang, I would have flown to Calyforny to be the maid of all work for that there dinner party

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2005, 11:06:32 AM »

I love THE LAST VOYAGE.  I have a friend (obviously much older than I) who was on the literal last voyage of the Ile de France...He still claims that the Ile de France was his favorite ocean liner of all time; although, by now, he seems to have forgotten his first voyage on the Mayflower.
From what I've heard, the staterooms on the Mayflower were on the tiny side, even for the time.  And the dinner service was inadequate.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2005, 11:09:53 AM »

WFO I drove past your house last night on the way home from the GS dinner at the  Huntington Town House... the wicked witch & co are really going to town on their driveway entrance aren't they?  Do they think they live in the Taj Mahal?

Oh, and you haven't seen (or heard) the worst of it.

Last summer, Lady Macbeth and her consort finally moved their driveway from illegally right on, and over, our property line to the south side.  By "driveway", I mean 150-foot dirt track leading to a large dirt parking lot in front of the house.

They actually tore down several trees (old growth forest) and gouged a sort of valley into the land.  This is, of course, causing a lot of erosion and a lot of dirt and sand to flow down the street whenever it rains.

What you saw was Her Highness's new concrete block wall along the front of the house, which is fortunately holding back some of the erosion.  They have purchased enough of those blocks that they seem to be planning to line the whole new driveway with them.  

But the latest addition, which you cannot see from the street, was to widen the parking lot even more and create a similar elegant wall around the remaining grove of trees.  The parking lot is right below our bedroom windows, and every night this week their "friend" has been going from his real job to their house and working on this wall with a stone-cutting saw and a loud car radio until around 11:00.  Same "friend" who comes over for an occasional long indoor afternoon visit while Lord Macbeth is at work.

Quite right, it is rather pretentious as the entrance to a house the size of a two-car garage.

Prentention I can tolerate.  But these people are MALEVOLENT.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2005, 11:16:29 AM »

TOD:

CD at Work:  John Barrowman, "Reflections of Broadway".  About half the tracks on this album, I just noticed, were orchestrated by our very own Larry Moore.  And a delight they are.  There is also a "hidden track" at the end (wonder where they got that idea!):  "Not While I'm Around", a duet between John and, I thinK, Deam Edna, but I am not sure.

Here is John at a signing in London:
--Wayland Flowers

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2005, 11:16:41 AM »

From what I've heard, the staterooms on the Mayflower were on the tiny side, even for the time.  And the dinner service was inadequate.   :-\

and I found heard  that the maids were very slack about changing the bed linens

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2005, 11:18:49 AM »

I'm sure I didn't wear a sportcoat to the Schmidt/Jones thing - I probably didn't wear a coat at all.
This sounds suggestive!   :o

The only time I've worn a sport coat is to Crustacaen because one must.  It's not that I have a rule, it's that my sportcoat (my one and only) is fifteen years old (and still in style) - fifteen years ago I weighed twenty pounds less than I do now, and it's just too too snug and uncomfortable.  These three new sportcoats fit splendidly.
In which case, it's a good thing you're in California and not in a major city on the East Coast, because so many of them require coats.  And ties.  And...SHOES!!!

But it's good to know the new coats fit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2005, 11:27:15 AM »

No sparkling prize - but can anyone guess what this is from?
I had no idea it even existed.  

;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2005, 11:30:52 AM »

TOD:

CD at Work:  John Barrowman, "Reflections of Broadway". ...There is also a "hidden track" at the end (wonder where they got that idea!):  "Not While I'm Around", a duet between John and, I thinK, Deam Edna, but I am not sure.
No, I believe that's Barrowman's mother that joins him on that track.  Very nice lady; der B and I met her the night we saw him in Putting It Together at the Taper in LA.

Incidentally, Barrowman is now part of the Whoniverse.  He's listed as playing Captain Jack Harkness in the eighth thru thirteenth episodes of the current season of Doctor Who, with no word yet as to whether his character will continue into the next season (probably in order to eliminate spoilers).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2005, 11:35:12 AM »

"Damn Yankees" the TV Series?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2005, 11:35:52 AM »

Reviews for Goulet are generally quite positive, especially about his singing.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=511733

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2005, 11:36:33 AM »

Oh, and you haven't seen (or heard) the worst of it.

Last summer, Lady Macbeth and her consort finally moved their driveway from illegally right on, and over, our property line to the south side.  By "driveway", I mean 150-foot dirt track leading to a large dirt parking lot in front of the house.

They actually tore down several trees (old growth forest) and gouged a sort of valley into the land.  This is, of course, causing a lot of erosion and a lot of dirt and sand to flow down the street whenever it rains.

What you saw was Her Highness's new concrete block wall along the front of the house, which is fortunately holding back some of the erosion.  They have purchased enough of those blocks that they seem to be planning to line the whole new driveway with them.  

But the latest addition, which you cannot see from the street, was to widen the parking lot even more and create a similar elegant wall around the remaining grove of trees.  The parking lot is right below our bedroom windows, and every night this week their "friend" has been going from his real job to their house and working on this wall with a stone-cutting saw and a loud car radio until around 11:00.  Same "friend" who comes over for an occasional long indoor afternoon visit while Lord Macbeth is at work.

Quite right, it is rather pretentious as the entrance to a house the size of a two-car garage.

Prentention I can tolerate.  But these people are MALEVOLENT.

Well dearest  Bill, once again I will offer, out of the goodness of my heart, a straight trade, my house for yours, just so you don't have to deal with these nasty people any more....  ;D

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »

CD at Home:  Tom Wopat "The Still of the Night"  Love his treatment of these songs.  He isn't as cute as Barrowman though.  More like what we "Crusade" fans call "rugged good looks".

Here his is duking it around at a somewhat earlier age:

--Wayland Flowers

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2005, 11:37:29 AM »

JRand, I almost forgot. I surely wouldn't mind a SHOCK TREATMENT CD. Does it have anything different than the LP?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2005, 11:38:41 AM »

Yes DR RODZINSKI - this is Lee Remick as Lola in a 1967 television production.  Phil Silvers played Mr Applegate.  Directed by Kirk Browning and choreographed by Ernest Flatt.

Whew....I don't EVEN remember this version!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2005, 11:39:19 AM »

No it is exactly like the LP....but it's nice to have.  I will get to work on it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2005, 11:40:47 AM »

In my CD player:  "Julie Wilson Sings the Stephen Sondheim Songbook," after that will be the BK produced "Titanic:  The Ultimate Collection."

In my VCR:  Wednesday's "Lost" episode (I forgot to tape or even watch it...I had to get the tape from my niece ::) ).  After that will be a tape to tape tonight's "Star Trek:  Enterprise."

In my DVD player:  movies from Netflix.  "Latter Days," "Nine Dead Gay Guys" and "Velvet Goldmine."  I've never seen any of these. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2005, 11:41:57 AM »

...and if you look at the mouths you'll see they are doing things that don't resemble what is being sung....
This TCB moment is brought to you by...  :o ::) ;D

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2005, 11:42:09 AM »

Reviews for Goulet are generally quite positive, especially about his singing.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=511733

Hmmmm I may just have to hie medelf to the theatre to see him... after of course I get into Spamalot.....(anybody know any secret entrances, or an usher I could sub for?) ;D

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2005, 11:44:50 AM »

medelf of course being  the Olde English term for inability to type or proofread

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2005, 11:46:14 AM »

I thought it was shorthand for "medieval elf".

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2005, 11:46:58 AM »

Lee Remick starring in Damn Yankees with BK's close personal boyhood friend Phil Silvers, Jerry Lanning, Jim Backus, Fran Allison, Ray Middleton, Linda Lavin, and Bob Dishy on television in 1967.

But I cheated.

Where was I in 1967, and why didn't I see this and Evening Primrose and On the Flip Side and all those other musicals?

And speaking of On the Flip Side, I am in possession of the original LP with Ricky Nelson.  It is relevant, because our very own Guy Haines has just recorded a song from it for his new album.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:48:50 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up