Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31505 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2003, 06:29:04 AM »

My mother done told me that people in Michigan (where she attended college), people pronounce Mary, merry and marry exactly the same.  She done told me that, but I don't have to believe her.

I've been accused of being a New York chauvinist, but it seems to me that the "correct" pronunciation should be set by whatever area of the country produces the best literature.  So, if Michigan, say, churns out the best books, then their Mary-sounds-like-merry-sounds-like-marry thing holds sway.  But if the land of Crane, White, Whitman, O’Hara, Mailer, Miller, Doctorow, Bellow & Roth tells you Mary-is-different-than-merry-is-different-than-marry, they've earned the right to have it their way.

Our cast party (some would call it a wedding reception) was held at Chumley's, whose walls are covered by book covers of the writers who've imbibed there.  It was hard to name any literary light who wasn't represented.  [/snobbism]

I hope BK is feeling better.  I've felt a cold coming on, but, so far, it hasn't.  Hot liquids are good.  Soup is good food.  Audiences are soup.  What the hell am I talking about?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2003, 06:48:06 AM »

I think I mixed up my Von Sternbergs and Von Stroheims.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2003, 06:56:49 AM »

I think the only Polanski film I've liked is Chinatown.  That one about the guy with the apartment: I found it disturbing.  And I don't like to be disturbed when I go to the movies.

When a movie theatre on Broadway in the upper 60's did a Hitchcock festival, I tried to see as many as possible.  Now I've not seen Stage Fright, Marnie or Foreign Correspondant, but I've seen all the ones widely hailed as classics.  Hard to pick a favorite, but I'd go with Shadow of a Doubt just because it's so human.  You really feel for that suspicious niece.  The Merry Widow waltz still scares me.

I just love Sturges, and have tried to see all of his films, too.  While there's no doubt in my mind that Miracle of Morgan's Creek is the funniest film ever made, I just love the romance and star performances (Barbara Stanwyck & Henry Fonda) in The Lady Eve.  Now there's one I've always wanted to make into a musical.  It poses the question, what happens when a con-artist falls in love?  Years later, Prizzi's Honor posed the question, what happens when a mafia hitman falls in love?

Danise

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2003, 07:20:57 AM »

Anyone got some cheeze to go with the whine?  

I want to whine too.  I thought I was going to see Starlight Express  today but it seems it was canceled.  Boo Hoo!  :'(  

I guess it's not a total lost--it was going to cost about $30.00 and that was the nose bleed section.  I wouldn't have been able really see  it.  

I think I shall console myself by going to Best Buy or some such and buy myself some DVD's /CD's or a computer program or two that I've wanted.

Funny but I almost never use my computer for games anymore.   I'm always on the net talking to someone.   Human interaction over virtual interaction. This is a good thing, right?

Besides, you can only build so many pyramids or roman cities.  You guys are much more fun.  :)

I have to tell you that years ago I had a dentist called Dr. Ferry but if you say it without looking at the spelling I think it's funny.  

Talk to ya'll later.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2003, 07:28:21 AM »

DR Kerry: Yes, I am all folded and fluffed now. I still need to iron a pair of pants but otherwise I am ready for action.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2003, 07:29:12 AM »

Oh, one more to make it 180 and then 71 more to Senior Member and another gold star from the teacher.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2003, 07:35:10 AM »

Good morning, DRs!  I'm here at work, and I think I'm getting a cold!  Not that I'm whining about it  ;)

I got some great news from Swishy Sarah!  She e-mailed me to tell me that she got a B in algebra so she should be back with us relatively soon, although she's not sure when.  Hopefully she will be able to make tomorrow's anniversary chat...she sends her love to everyone!

Jay--Please do tell us about your out-of-body-experience, if you don't mind!  My mom used to have a friend who had one; I've always believed in them, and have even tried to will myself to have one a few times to no avail.  It would be a great skill to have for some of the classes I'm taking!

Ron--I love window cards; good luck getting your Wicked one!  Have you ever checked out the website for Triton Galleries??  They really have some great finds.

Well, I suppose I should try and read some more Walden.  I do have a paper to write over the weekend.  Le sigh.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2003, 07:38:12 AM »

Ah, another movie topic... Movies were movies when you paid a dime to escape... (Oh, a JH reference) Just go to the movies, just go to the flicks (another JH reference).  Can't contribute to the movie topic :(
I hope somone logs the unseemly chat tomorrow eve for those of us who will not be able to attend.  It sounds like it's something not to be missed, but unfortunately, some of us will :(   We'll have to be sure and post till the cows come home, or at least a chicken.  Well, not a chicken, I couldn't face a chicken, bring a turkey.  (oh dear, it's happening again)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2003, 07:57:51 AM »

In other news. Those in NYC were treated to not only very cold weather this morning, but a very warm performance by our very dear Kerry Butler who was on NBC's NEW YORK TODAY show and sang "Somewhere That's Green" quite loverly...

More later..  I am at work (of course) and have to get back into the thick (and thin) of it.

oh.. the "big" news in my apt is that I now have a TV again. I have been watching DVD's and cable via my computer.. but last night I bought a new tv and enjoyed watching Finding Nemo on it!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2003, 08:06:06 AM »

Jennifer, I will answer your craft fair question.  I use to love to go to them when we lived in Pennsylvania and Michigan.  After going to a few here I became bored and only go once in awhile.  Guess they all seem about the same now.  I wish I could remember the name of the fall fair in Bucks County, PA.  It was incredible.

Michael

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2003, 08:08:07 AM »

DR Kerry: Yes, I am all folded and fluffed now. I still need to iron a pair of pants but otherwise I am ready for action.

Ben, have you ever thought of becoming a professional fluffer?  ;D
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2003, 08:09:38 AM »

Noel, I do believe the Lady Eve would make a wonderful musical.

Still working on my favorites.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2003, 08:17:42 AM »

DR Jennifer - we have Crafty Fairs all over the place...and November is a great month for them.  But Craft pieces drive me crazy - and if I see one more Eiffel Tower built from Popsicle sticks or red white and blue pot holder or rough-edged afghan I shall scream!!!  An Oliver! reference DR TCB.

DR Maya - [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]simplify, simplify, simplify![/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D[/move]

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2003, 08:19:46 AM »

I guess my post last night made it sound like there was more to my experience than there was.  It's just that it's been a very, very, very (that's three verys) long time since I'd gone out in the L.A. area edition of Boystown (West Hollywood), and I felt like a fish out of water.  (Oh, an oblique Finding Nemo reference.)  If I wasn't the oldest person in the place, I must have been close to it.  I was dressed differently from most.  (I was in jeans, button-down shirt and V-neck sleeveless sweater.)  The music (which was poundingly loud, and this was NOT a dance palace I was at) was completely unfamiliar to me.  The lounge I was at is decorated extravagantly, and has large open bar areas as well as more intimate conversation areas.  As one moves around the bar, one kind of circulates between indoor and outdoor areas.  

At one point, I just felt like I was some kind of disinterested observer, observing all the quirky elements of the setting and quirky behavior of the other patrons.  I was there--and apart from it--all at the same time.

So that's the big story.  End of mystery.  Disappointing, I know, but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 08:21:14 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2003, 08:24:19 AM »

I certainly don't want to whine, but once again the Board logged me off for having the temerity not to post every day.  Then logging back in became an effort (though, I must admit, not the three-day travail it was last time).  I hesitate to mention this, since the last time I brought it up, my Karma was almost immediately depleted of several points, but there ya have it.

My wife is in NYC doing museums and seeing shows with her Mom.  She saw "Wicked" Thursday and loved it (so there, ya mean and nasty critics).  Tonight she'll see "Gypsy" featuring our friend Brooks Ashmanskas.  She may get together with DR Aura sometime, too.  I on the other hand am dealing with the kids, one of whom is sick.  Oy, oy, oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2003, 08:27:09 AM »

Umm, have I offended a Dear Reader?  Or worse, bored a Dear Reader?  I ask, because I see that my Karma rating has been reduced.

If I've inadvertently done something amiss, please let me know.  The intent behind any post I make here, you must believe, is purely positive.  Sure, sometimes my humor is a little dry, and, on occasion, borderline naughty, but I don't believe I've posted anything that might be cause to strip me of hard-earned karma!

:-[

td

• td
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2003, 08:27:56 AM »

Name your favorite films of the following artistes: Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Josef von Sternberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Roman Polanski, Frank Capra and Preston Sturges.

CHAPLIN = MODERN TIMES

KEATON = THE GENERAL

VON STERNBERG = THE SCARLET EMPRESS; positively mind-boggling.

HITCHCOCK = VERTIGO

POLANSKI = TESS; I know that this will cause some alarm, but, I find it to be one of his most personal films.  CHINATOWN and ROSEMARY'S BABY are neck in neck, though for 2nd place.

CAPRA = LADY FOR A DAY (and its remake, POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES)

STURGES = THE MIRACLE AT MORGAN'S CREEK;  although I still think that UNFAITHFULLY YOURS would make a fine musical with Judy Kaye in the Linda Darnell role.

DR Tom, you guy from Oz, you:  I think that I may have mentioned this before, but, the song "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" from A MIGHTY WIND would be my choice for a Best Song Oscar.  It was written by Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole.

DR Maya:  There's no need to quit Kazaa-ing; under the Options menu, you'll find a Kazaa options, there you will find a Privacy option.  If you check the box marked "Users can't get a list of all your shared files," then you will be running kazaa safely and efficiently.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2003, 08:28:06 AM »

Sturges:  Sullivan’s Travels-so difficult to choose just one.
Hitchcock:  Strangers on a Train
Polanski:  The Piano
Chaplin:  ?
Keaton:  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Von Sternberg:  I am not familiar with his work
Capra:  It’s a Wonderful Life and Arsenic and Old Lace

A bit of trivia, we have Capra’s autobiography, “The Name Above the Title,” signed by him to Harold Brown (former Secretary of Defense).

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2003, 08:29:50 AM »

JMK:  Nice to see you posting again.  I gladly offer you some karma!  

I like to think karma is bestowed upon those who need it, as well as being the popularity points some people use them for.

Good karma can really boost the morale and help a person's day along.  I know...someone just took a point away from me, and all I do is give everyone points whenever I can.  Such is life.  Some folks are "that way."  It doesn't matter.

Tell your lovely wife she has EXCELLENT taste in musicals, too!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 08:38:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jay

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2003, 08:30:20 AM »

Just reread my last post and realized that now I'm whining, too.  Just doing my best, I suppose, to support the theme of the day (tTotD, in internet lingo.)

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2003, 08:48:47 AM »

I have too little to whine about.  We're enjoying a lovely holiday in the Saucon Valley, and my class yesterday ranked as the best ever.  Missing me for a week (due to my muddy mishap) seems to have brought out the best in all the students.  We talked about the audition process from the beginning (circling ads in Backstage) to the end, and I used the Socratic method and my dozen students were actually able to come up with the answers.  That moved things along swiftly and interestingly.  A while ago, I described my students as Teflon - nothing seems to stick to them.  But this week, their work revealed I had some sort of an impact and I'm just thrilled.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2003, 08:51:26 AM »

Hmmm, being a "professional fluffer" might prove interesting. I could certainly come home with interesting stories to amuse my Anthony, and if he became jealous of my "fluffery" why I would just invite him to come to work with me and we could "fluff" together. Oh, the sights we would see  :o

Ben

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2003, 08:55:18 AM »

Keep forgetting to mention this. I saw earlier this week at a couple of entertainment news sites that VH1 is planning an updated Partridge Family. Perhaps our own BK could reprise his role. That would certainly prove entertaining.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2003, 08:59:26 AM »

DR Jay - sometimes when trying to click the applaud button, a DR might inadvertantly click the boo button.  And then there is no way to correct it for 72 hours.

At least I tell myself that!

Jay

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2003, 09:02:41 AM »

Thanks, DR JRand.  I see several kind DRs have already responded to my pathetic whining.  I shall return the favor all around!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2003, 09:09:18 AM »

Jrand--LOL!  Wanna write my paper for me??

TD--thanks for the advice!  I may actually go ahead and do that....although I keep thinking of the new South Park episode where the boys download their first song; a helicopter immediately zooms over their head and they are intercepted by rabid music-police people!  

I totally forgot to list my favorite movies by the following auteurs:

Hitchcock: Psycho, I guess.  I'm not actually a big Hitch person.
Polanski: The only thing of his I've seen is The Pianist.  Though I do really want to see Chinatown and Repulsion.
Chaplin: The Gold Rush.
Keaton: Hmmm...what have I seen that he directed?  Let's go with the General.
Sturges: Gulliver's Travels.
Von Sternberg: The Blue Angel.
Capra: It Happened One Night.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2003, 09:12:48 AM »

So how are Mary, merry, and marry pronounced? Other than that, I have nothing to say. Bye bye now.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2003, 09:30:33 AM »

TD--thanks for the advice!  I may actually go ahead and do that....although I keep thinking of the new South Park episode where the boys download their first song; a helicopter immediately zooms over their head and they are intercepted by rabid music-police people!  

LOL Maya-My-Papaya!

As some other DR pointed out, use Kazaa Lite!  If you're worried about those helicopters, though, once you've dl'ed something MOVE IT IMMEDIATELY from "My Shared Folder" to another folder on your computer. . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2003, 09:32:06 AM »

I finally got a decent night's sleep, but still feel under the weather.  Whiiiiiiine.

Now, I thought I read that Mr. Bakalor had fixed the Edit Profile function, no?  Let's be sure before I ask him.

Jennifer, the "new" button works fine for me and we would have heard if it hadn't been working for others.

JMK: You would not have been logged off were it not for the new server change.  It won't happen again as long as you've checked the "always stay logged in" feature.

Fifty-five posts by nine o'clock on a Saturday is a new record for us - no other site has fifty-five posts by nine o'clock on a Saturday.

Anyone who was using the click smilies site able to get to it?  I get a "forbidden" notice.

Loving your director choices.  Keaton, of course, isn't always credited as the director of his films but it is obvious he is the auteur.  It is clear that von Sternberg is the least known here, and I must tell you there has never been anyone else like him, ever.  Whether you end up liking or "getting" his films, you must see a couple just to see what he's about.  They are, each and every one of them, unique and unlike anything you've ever seen.  My list:

von Sternberg: The sublime Blonde Venus, which includes one of the greatest musical numbers ever put on film: Hot Voodoo.  I also love his two Shanghai movies - Shanghai Express and the supremely strange The Shanghai Gesture.  There is a Criterion DVD of The Scarlet Empress which is very good - again, totally unique.

Hitchcock: The two I can watch again and again and never tire of are North by Northwest and Rear Window, two of the greatest movies ever made.

Capra: It's a Wonderful Life

Sturges: I like all his films but for me the one where everything works perfectly is Sullivan's Travels, plus it has two of my all-time favorite actors, Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake.

Polanski: Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, both masterpieces.  Rosemary's Baby, for me, remains the finest adaptation of a book ever made (it IS the book), and Chinatown is perfection on every level.

Keaton: Seven Chances and Sherlock, Jr.

Chaplin: City Lights, simply one of the greatest movies ever made.  Limelight holds a special place in my heart, too.

And now, off to work.  Keep up the loads of lovely posts, and please someone answer my two questions.

td

• td
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2003, 09:41:36 AM »

The "New" Button has worked just fine for me, BK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up