Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...  (Read 41190 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2005, 07:23:26 AM »

All alone, I'm so all alone . . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2005, 07:42:43 AM »

Re: theatre cds to play for kids

Well these are boys, so I'm not sure how they would react.  But how about some shows that kids seem to love like: THE LION KING, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, PETER PAN.  Or what about INTO THE WOODS.  Perhaps you could even show them Act 1 of the dvd?

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2005, 07:47:09 AM »

I need to get dressed, but I don't feel like it.  I am also looking forward to the Tonys tonight.  Hopefully it will be a good show and have a few surprises.

My sis and her husband came over and 9:15am to pick up her groceries.  And she looked at me (i was all in grey).  And she said, "why are you wearing all grey today?"  I looked at her and said "these are my pajamas!" :)

When you show up at someone's house on a sunday morning at 9am what do you expect? :)  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2005, 07:54:24 AM »

Yes, I meant to mention PETER PAN as a kid friendly show album. Also OLIVER! SEUSSICAL perhaps as well?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2005, 07:56:29 AM »

Kids' CDs: My my kid was six years old, she loved Phantom of the Opera. But then I suppose you wouldn't exactly call my kid normal, either.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2005, 08:07:42 AM »

Lovely posts already.  I am not quite ready to make my predictions, I am still studying the scratch sheet.

Sorry Miss Jennifer Holiday and her "performance" of THAT song is also in my dislike column.  The show is okay - although it is very schizo.  EVERY advance anyone makes in show business is the result of a lie or a backstabbing or a dirty deal (probably not too far from reality) - and they sing a nice song about "family" and how important it is and nothing can come between them, and in the next scene, they kick her out of the group.  And then she sings she's not going, no matter what, and in the next scene, guess what?  She's gone!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »

DR SWW - I have a book called - what else - CATS, that has lots of great pictures and the lyrics to the songs in order.  It has drawings and lots of pictures of the cats putting on their makeup.

I bought mine for $1 many years ago. There is a copy on EBAY right now for a penny with $5 shipping, but it's a great book! Item number 6956350061.  Give it a look!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2005, 08:14:43 AM »

I am loving my W I D E S C R E E N cd as well.

And don't forget about the Trivia Contest, folks!  It's a great one.

I am from Indiana, so I probably will not put on shoes for the Tony Awards, but I will wear a shirt.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2005, 08:34:47 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been watching Tony broadcasts since they began; I think the only year I missed was the year the amazing Barbara Harris did the "Gorgeous" sequence from THE APPLE TREE.  I especially remember Jerry Orbach doing "Basketball" and "Mama, Look Sharp" from 1776.  I don't remember what I did yesterday.  Is this Alzheimer or overwork?
Jerry Orbach was always magnificent.  But I don't remember his singing "Mama, Look Sharp," and they must have cut "Basketball" from the 1776 OCR.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2005, 08:46:26 AM »

My fave Tony moment didn't occur on the Tonys.

It was the year George Hearn was performing "I Am What I Am" from La Cage, and he did it twice.  The first time was on the Grammys, and he did it in full kit, magnificently.  After he flung his wig at Gene Barry, they cut to host John Denver, who was just standing there with a shocked look on his face, his jaw totally dropped.  Fantastic!

As I recall, at the Tonys Hearn did the song while dressed in a tux.  What was that?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 08:55:28 AM »

Of course, I've long held that the Tonys are best for clueing the rest of the country to what actors they should be paying attention to.  The year Jeter (and Barrett) did the number from Grand Hotel, they immediately presented him with the Featured Actor award, where he gave one of the most gratifying thanks speeches that I can remember.  Within a day or two, he'd been signed to the cast of Evening Shade, and his career took off from there.

I had a co-worker a year or two after that, a young kid who liked to dress in Barbie pink.  She announced that she and her mother had watched the opening of the Tony Awards, but during the opening credits they hadn't given any names of people she knew, so they turned it off.  Oh, she was very blonde, too, stereotypically so.   :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2005, 08:57:54 AM »

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day.

May there be many more of them.

Survivors, that is.

At least until the reason there are fewer survivors is because there are a lot fewer people getting cancer.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2005, 09:05:01 AM »

There's a catch to our esteemed BK's plans for the Tony Party here at HHW.

If those of us on the East Coast withhold on any and all spoilers (and I think we should), that means we cannot start commenting on the show until it begins to be broadcast on the West Coast.

The catch is, that won't be until 11:00 PM Eastern time.  And the show won't end until 2:00 AM Eastern time.

I don't know about anyone else here on the East Coast, but I intend to be in bed by that time.  I've got my first day on the job tomorrow, and I'm going to need every bit of my "All-Right-It-Isn't-Beauty-Sleep-But-There's-No-Reason-For-Me-To-Shatter-Mirrors,-Either" sleep.

This is seriously going to crimp my par-tay style.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2005, 09:10:41 AM »

As for Widescreen, sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't.  I like it best while wearing headphones.

Cats: I think we have one of those programs, somewhere in one of the basement boxes.  I know we have Beauty and the Beast down there, loads of great pics.

In fact, I think I'll be checking through those boxes, to see what other pic-filled programs we have.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2005, 09:13:52 AM »

I haven't seen any of the plays this year, or heard any of the scores.  My bad.  So I'm tellin' you, I ain't predictin'!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2005, 09:18:35 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Lovely postings thus far.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2005, 09:44:35 AM »

All right, I'll confess!

The "Dreamgirls" Tony performance was the all-time great chills-inducing number I've ever seen.

It was ten times what they hoped "Roses Turn" would be for Bernadette's performance in "Gypsy."

No other Tony performance -- in more than 25 years of watching Tony annually -- has made me stand up and cheer the way Jennifer Holliday's "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" did.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'll be back...

My Mom just decided to have her birthday dinner... Now... At lunch time, so....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »

It was ten times what they hoped "Roses Turn" would be for Bernadette's performance in "Gypsy."

Well, I will give you THAT!!  :P

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »

I guess I am always surprised by people's negative reaction to Jennifer Holliday's AND I'M TELLING YOU.  I still remember being very moved by the performance.  Of course, I'm also shocked that some people avoid watching the Tonys.  For me, the Tony broadcast is the one moment each year that Broadway has a chance to shine.  Political?  Certainly, but what award show isn't?  In fact, what election isn't?  Who knows, tomorrow a judge in Eastern Washington may overturn last November's election of our Governor.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »

Hmmmm, I am beginning to wonder if 900 posts may be out of reach for us today.  Sorry, just thinking aloud.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2005, 10:40:10 AM »

I once stood five feet from Miss Holiday when  she sang And I Am Telling You....All I can saw was wow! One of the highlights of my concert going days.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2005, 10:45:07 AM »

Jerry Orbach was always magnificent.  But I don't remember his singing "Mama, Look Sharp," and they must have cut "Basketball" from the 1776 OCR.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*

Are you telling me Jerry Orbach did not play the Courier in 1776?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2005, 10:50:08 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Nevermind...

Just as I was getting out the shower, I heard someone coming through the front door... It was my parents.  Back from lunch.

Ah, well...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2005, 10:56:22 AM »

Back in a bit...looks like we've a little more rescue work to do...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2005, 11:08:34 AM »

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day.

May there be many more of them.

Survivors, that is.

Amen!  

DRSWW, I've been thinking about cast albums your babysittees might like as well:
  A TALE OF CINDERELLA (all right, I'm blowing my own horn here as well, buit it's also on video)
  THE SECRET GARDEN
  THE WIZ
  THE WIZARD OF OZ (Royal Shakespeare Company)
  ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (soon to be on television)
  TREASURE ISLAND (Bernard Miles/Mermaid Theatre, London)
  SCROOGE (w/Anthony newley)
  OLIVER!
  THE SOUND OF MUSIC
  THE MUSIC MAN
  LEAVE IT TO JANE
  THE KING AND I
  FINIAN'S RAINBOW
  A CHRISTMAS CAROL
  CAMELOT
  BYE BYE BIRDIE
  THE BOY FRIEND
  BARNUM
  BABES IN TOYLAND (I love the recording with Kenny Baker)
  BABES IN ARMS
  ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
  ANNIE

« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 11:13:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »

In the "technical categories"...

Lighting, Play - Brian MacDevitt, The Pillowman
Lighting, Musical - Christopher Akerlind, The Light in the Piazza - Although, I've been hearing some "rumbles" for Mark Henderson for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

*Did Jules Fischer and Peggy Eisenhower not work this past season?  ;)

Costume, Play - Jess Goldstein, The Rivals
Costume, Musical - Tim Hatley, Monty Python's Spamalot

*Has Catherine Zuber ever won?

Scenic Design, Play - Scott Pask, The Pillowman
Scenic Design, Musical - This could go a number of ways.  I'm suspecting Anthony Ward could get it for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - especially since there was no Best Flying Car category this year.  ;)  But it could also go to Tim Hatley for Monty Python's Spamalot or Michael Yeargan for The Light in the Piazza.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2005, 11:20:39 AM »

Tony Sunday greetings!  

I have been a loyal Tony broadcast watcher for as long as I can remember, but I think this is the first year that I've actually seen a nominated show before the awards presentation.  My niece and I saw the revival of La Cage aux Folles in the afternoon before seeing Jewish Thighs on Broadway with many HHW friends on March 19.

My 2 trips to NYC since last year's Tony's and my daily visits with all the in-the-know people on this here board have put me much more in touch with who's who and what's what in tonight's nominees.  To avoid accidentally committing a spoiler, I will probably join in the party only during commercial breaks.  The TV I have next to my computer is a small B&W.  I want to see the broadcast, especially the numbers, in full living color on the TV in the family room in the other end of the house.

The Tony telecast I've kept on tape is the one that included the "Circle of Life" number from The Lion King, 1998.  The next summer, 1999, we took our son to NYC for the first time and LK became his first (and still, only) Broadway show.  He has seen touring companies, of course, but there's nothing like having something with which to remember your first Broadway experience.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2005, 11:25:43 AM »

In the Creative categories -

Book of Musical - Rachel Sheinkin, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  Unless Craig Lucas takes it for The Light in the Piazza due to name recognition.

Best Score (Music and/or Lyrics) - Adam Guettel, The Light in the Piazza.  Although, David Yazbek winning for his Dirty Rotten Scoundrels would be a nice surprise.

Best Orchestrations - Ted Sperling, Adam Guettel and Bruce Coughlin, The Light in the Piazza.  I happened to meet a couple of the musicians playing for this show - they all raved about the music and the orchestrations, very gratifying - and you don't hear that often from pit musicians.

Best Choreography - Jerry Mitchell for... Unless he cancels himself out, and Wayne Cilento gets it for Sweet Charity.

Best Direction, Play - Doug Hughes, Doubt.

Best Direction, Musical - This is truly a toss-up category for me.  The voters could with their old favorite, the "name", the veteran or the relative new kid on the block.  If I had to pick one... I'd go with James Lapine for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  But then there's Mike Nichols for Monty Python's Spamalot in a virtual tie - for different reasons.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2005, 11:37:14 AM »

DH Richard and I are off to the grocery and to pick up some garage sale items from his mother.  Back in time for the party!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up