Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...  (Read 41189 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2005, 11:44:42 AM »

And in the Acting Categories -

Play:

Featured Actor - Alan Alda for Glengarry Glenn Ross especially since there was some flap over him being not nominated in the Leading Actor category.  *I'm guessing that was his "payback" for his Oscar nomination for "The Aviator".  ;)  But Michael Stuhlbarg could take it for The Pillowman.

Featured Actress - Adriane Lenox, Doubt.  With Dana Ivey for The Rivals as a not too unexpected surprise.

Leading Actor - I would like to see Brian F. O'Byrne take it for Doubt, and/or Billy Crudup for The Pillowman, but I have a sense that James Earl Jones will snag it for On Golden Pond.

Leading Actress - Cherry Jones, Doubt.

Musical:

Featured Actor - Dan Fogler, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Featured Actress - Sara Ramirez, Monty Python's Spamalot.

Lead Actor - Norbert Leo Butz, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Leading Actress - Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza.

These actually seem a bit more cut and dry to me.  None of the other roles/nominees seem to be on the same playing field.  Not that the rest of the nominees are less-deserving, just that the roles they're playing are not as "meaty", scene-stealing or featured.  *But, I do have to say I have sentimental hopes for Celia Keenan-Bolger (who I had hoped would have made it to Broadway with Piazza, but when you have a composer in love with the ingenue cum leading lady... :-X) and Erin Dilly.

And the thought did cross my mind that John Lithgow could come away with another surprise win - at least it was a surprise to me.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 11:45:54 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2005, 12:03:41 PM »

And finally...

Theatrical Event - 700 Sundays

Revival, Play - This is another toss-up for me.  I'm guessing Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.  -And when did Edward Albee's become a part of the title?  ???  Now if Hurlyburly had been revived on Broadway instead of off this season...

Revival, Musical - Strangely enough, I think Pacific Overtures will get it.  More as a nod to Mr. Sondheim than anything else - and a sort of re-match for the Sunday in the Park with George, La cage aux Folles original "battle".

Best Play - I would like to see a tie between Doubt and The Pillowman, but I suspect it will go to Doubt.

Best Musical - This is sort of a toss-up for me too, but I'm leaning towards Spamalot.  But any of the other three - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Light in the Piazza, and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - could sneak in with a surprise.

In general, I don't think Spamalot will walk away with the lion's share of the awards.  I'm more interested in the contest between Doubt and The Pillowman in their respective categories.

I'm just trying to figure out if I will be watching the awards here at home, or heading over to a friend's place.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2005, 12:06:02 PM »

In other news...

It's Hot.  It's Humid.

-And I'm actually glad I have today off from Mamma Mia!.  The backstage area at the National Theatre doesn't have the best air conditioning and air circulation system.  -We could already feel the humidity creeping in last night.

I may head out in bit to visit my friend, Rachel, or I may just end up staying put today.

Decisions, decisions...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »

Tomvoz, Ben, and JRand, the minority is getting bigger all the time.  I've always found the much-lauded Dreamgirls turn by Ms. Holliday a tad overwrought.

...but then I was never much for Ms. Ross and the Supremes either...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 12:08:49 PM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »

Actually, I would drive down to Richmond, but I don't like driving in the heat - at least with the current condition of my car.  My soon-to-be 13 year-old car with 213,000 miles on it.  And an A/C system that seems to be working a bit too hard lately.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2005, 12:12:57 PM »

Otherwise I do not care about the telecast and will not watch it. Also I have stopped taping them. Looking forward to more dvds of the best moments.

Well... I'm glad you aren't a Nielsen family then.

;)

*It really is sort of a Catch-22.  I know other people who have stopped watching the Tony awards telecast since they're no longer like the "old days".  But I think that's also part of reason the awards have transformed into what they've become lately.  Yes, CBS has been trying to spice things up with Holllywood name presenters, but I also have the sense that they know the Tony Awards will never bring in the numbers and profits they would like, so they don't really do "everything" to make it a memorable evening.  If you don't watch... well, you don't watch.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2005, 12:14:07 PM »

DR JOSE'S picks for winners seem right on the money for me as well, the exception being Alan Alda.  I might go with Liev Schreiber in that category.  And until he mentioned it, I had forgotten that this was a Herman vs. Sondheim rematch in a musical category.  LOL

And from photographs I would love the costumes from LITP to win...lovely Italian couture.

Anxious for the ceremony to start!  It will be very intriguing to hear the words Putnam County spoken out loud at the Tony Awards...
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »

I remember that one too, but wondered why the original Baron David Carroll was sitting in the audience not doing it. It wasn't until a year or so later my question was answered.

I never even knew that David Carroll was the original baron until I got the CD and saw the bonus track.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2005, 12:56:31 PM »

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!  I just realized that I have no blank video tapes to tape tonight's Tony Awards®!!  I have to get some...and NOW!!!!!!!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »

Be back soon! ;D (an Oliver! reference)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »

Back from a nice long walk with a friend.  Will now do some errands and then we can get this partay goin', baby.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »

In prep for tonights partay, I will watch a Bollywood movie!

And that movie for the weekend is:

ALIBABA AND 40 THIEVES (1954) starring Mahipal and Shakila. I started it last night and have so far been quite impressed...some pretty good special effects and very grand sets!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »

Well, I had some nice surprises!  A phone call from my sister-in-law checking up on me and when I turned on to the Time Warner "show music" channel on my television, Liz Callaway was singing Frank Loesser's "More I Cannot Wish You."

God, it's hot in New York today.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2005, 02:24:13 PM »

Very hot here as well...with thunderstorms predicted and on the way.

Hmmmm.....now I know why Peter Colley suggested this Gordon Lightfoot song for this spot in the play.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2005, 02:43:05 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-I can definitely tell it's hot and humid outside.  My brother just came in and said it was so!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2005, 02:43:31 PM »

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!  I just realized that I have no blank video tapes to tape tonight's Tony Awards®!!  I have to get some...and NOW!!!!!!!!!
Beat 'cha to it!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »

We have a girl named Honey visiting in our basement.  She is a very pretty spaniel mix, with golden eyes and a wonderful disposition.  She should only be with us for a day, however, until we hand her over to another in the rescue group.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »

Less than forty to go!

8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2005, 03:00:39 PM »

Somehow I don't know that we'll achieve 900 posts at this or any other rate.  We're havin' a partay here, not a vacation, baby.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »

Preparations are underway for the first annual "Eric and Matt's Tony Awards Party" - it's a combination Tony Awards and House Warming party.  We are BBQing some teriyaki beef on skewers and chicken sate on skewers.  We made a gin-based punch thing which is lovely, and Eric (Mr Pastry Chef) made Ina Garten's recipe for coconut cupcakes and I made "The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford" cupcakes (I didn't name that!!) - but they are a chocolate cupcake with chocolate pudding in the middle topped with Cool Whip crushed Skor bars.  The guests are bringing everything else - it's a untensil-less evening.  We made each guest a CD with selections from all the musicals nominated for something on the awards this eve.  Eric designed the cover and it ROCKS.  I'll scan it sometime this week and post it.   Looking forward to postings later during the party!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 03:04:26 PM by Matthew »

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2005, 03:14:52 PM »

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day.

And a day worth celebrating for this Boy from OZ.
I'd rather have won this one than a Tony.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 03:16:14 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »

Back from the matinee. I had a good show, but sad to say, my Albin had his worst show. It could have been the comatose audience that put him to sleep, but he went totally up in the "La Cage" number, repeated a verse in "Mascara," and made numerous skips and jumps in the lines. Don't know exactly what his problem was today, but he was way off. Thankfully, my show went very, very well.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2005, 03:19:06 PM »

It was hot here today, too, close to 90! It didn't even get to 70 just a few days ago. Amazing!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »

Very hot here as well...with thunderstorms predicted and on the way.

There have been some thunder claps within the last few minutes! :o In Western Washington, that very rare!  It sounds like they're right overhead...and they're loud!

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2005, 03:40:09 PM »

There have been some thunder claps within the last few minutes! :o In Western Washington, that very rare!  It sounds like they're right overhead...and they're loud!
As no doubt DR Rodzinski would know this signifies that there is "Something In The Air". A 1969 reference.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2005, 03:40:32 PM »

I have had a wireless mouse for several months now and today of all days, it decides to freak out!  It would jump to a different part of the screen or act like I was holding down the left button and highlight everything.  I replaced the batteries in the mouse but that didn't fix anything.  I decided to uninstall the software and remove the wireless mouse receiver, altogether.  I've reinstalled my wired mouse and it seems to work fine.  I'll wait until my sister's boyfriend (my tech support) can take a look at things.  I hope that there isn't any other problem! :-\ Tonight's the Tony Awards­®!!!!

George

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2005, 03:50:47 PM »

I'm watching (but not recording) the pre-show arrival of all the people.  I have no idea who the hosts are.

George

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2005, 03:51:33 PM »

Paige Price is the name of the woman host.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 03:56:46 PM by George »

George

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »

Robert Viagas is the male host.

td

• td
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2005, 03:55:44 PM »

My favorite Tony moment came when Mary Martin, Barbara Cook and Bernadette Peters paid tribute to the late Robert Preston with songs from the shows they co-starred in.

Count me into Jennifer Holliday's corner.  I have never seen, heard or experienced a more moving ten minutes in a theater. BUT, now. . .I'd have to count myself in the anti-Holliday corner; I guess when she's playing Effie, she's great, when she's playing Jennifer, she's not-so-great.  Personally, following "And I am Telling You" my favorite Jennifer performance was captured by Cinemax as A GOSPEL SESSION hosted by Paul Simon; Jennifer sang an incredible "His Eye is on the Sparrow."

I won't be anywhere near a computer whilst the award show is on, so, I'll be sending great vibes to Norbert, Victoria, Sara and Adam.
I am besotted with TLITP and wish that it could take the big award, but, I like DRS well enough (more than I like THE FULL MONTY) to not be saddened if it wins.
I'm still failing to see why SPAMALOT's score is eligible and CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG's is not. . .(considering that STATE FAIR and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS were both nominated).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up