Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...  (Read 41093 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...
« on: June 04, 2005, 11:59:41 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are all winners in my book, whether your name is Tony or not, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home with their Tony Awards.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 11:58:26 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AND THE WINNER FOR THIS YEAR'S TONY IS...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 12:02:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: TWIDDLE!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 12:12:03 AM »

Of musicals, I really only saw DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, which I did not plan to enjoy, and yet it was extremely enjoyable. My hope is that it sneaks in with the Tony win.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 12:15:55 AM »

I have no Tony predictions but I do hope PILLOWMAN wins any Tony, it is up for.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:15:59 AM »

I've not as yet heard any of the scores for this year's nominated musicals so I have no views or predictions.
I'll stick to last year's posts re my favourite Tony moments. The scenes from "Big River" and "Rags".
I had not seen the "Grand Hotel" segment until the recent DVD release. Terrific. I hope I never have to watch and hear Jennifer Holiday do her party piece again. I'm telling you I'm, not watching.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:20:55 AM »

I too enjoyed PILLOWMAN, but the groundswell seems to be for DOUBT.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »

Even thought I didn't care for Doubt here in LA, I think there is no doubt it will win the Tony - it pushes all the right buttons, including the red buttons.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 12:27:55 AM »

TWIDDLE, baby, TWIDDLE!

My favorite Tony moments: Joel Grey and company doing Wilkommen, and Turkey Lurkey Time from Promises, Promises.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 12:31:42 AM »

One of my absolute favorite Tony Award moments was seeing (on the original TV broadcast...and I'm so happy that it's on the second Tony DVD) the aforementioned Grand Hotel segment, "We'll Take a Glass Together," with Michael Jeter and the WSMA (that's World's Sexiest Man Alive in HHW lingo ;)) Brent Barrett.  I love this number and the way they do it.  There is just so much joy in the whole thing (without the subtext from the show, of course).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 12:32:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 12:33:50 AM »

After I wake up in the morning, I plan to be here all day (except that I might go out for lunch at some point).  I have a couple of friends who want to borrow the tape that I will be making of the Tony Awards.  What they don't know is that they won't be borrowing my tape of the Tony Awards, they'll be getting a copy of my tape of the Tony Awards.  I do not lend things like that out...not any more. ::)

Anyway, I have the CDs to the four nominated musicals for the Best New Musical.  I just got The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Friday, and yesterday (at the same time as "Widescreen" from BK) I got from Amazon.com the revival cast recording of Pacific Overtures.  I love this show.  I have the two other recordings (the OBC is the best) and I love most elements of this recording.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »

Okay, here's a rant:

The thing about this new Pacific Overtures that really gets my goat (and why it wants my goat, I'll never know) is the scooping of most (if not all) of the singers!  It happens all over the place!  It seems like no one can hit their notes right on pitch anymore.  It's just scoop up to the note after scoop up to the note after scoop up to the note, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference).  Admittedly, my training was originally in choirs (11 years' worth) and all of that training taught me NOT to do that.  We had to sing the exact pitches from the first moment that we sang them.  I find all this scooping quite annoying. :P

Now, in the "pop music" world (and certainly pop-oriented musicals), they can do whatever they want.  But I think some musicals (especially shows like PO) require a little more technique and training from the singers...and it should show.  That's just my 2¢.

End of rant.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 12:36:54 AM by George »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 12:37:59 AM »

Hey diddle diddle the cat and the TWIDDLE.
This cat is hitting the hay.

George

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 12:52:19 AM »

Well, I'm outa here, too.  Goodnight, Tomovoz...and four guests! ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 01:03:22 AM »

I hope I never have to watch and hear Jennifer Holiday do her party piece again. I'm telling you I'm, not watching.

Honestly, is there anything that gives me genuine pleasure that you don't despise????

Well...I guess the LOTR movies are an exception.

:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 01:05:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 01:08:22 AM »

I guess we could have Ms Holliday singing Wind Beneath My Wings in the musical version of Steel Magnolias.. I do like Ms Holliday's performance on the OCR but she very quickly became a parody of herself -too busy emoting to have any emotion!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 01:09:24 AM »

Regarding tonight's Tony Awards--

I would love it if Dirty Rotten Scoundrels won for Best Musical. Having seen all 4 nominated shows, I believe that it was the season's best musical. However, Spamalot will probably win as it has the most potential to make money touring.

Norbert Leo Butz will win Best Actor in a musical for DRS.
Victoria Clark will probably win Best Actress in a musical for The Light in the Piazza.
The Tony for Best Score is a really tough one this year. Again, I think David Yazbek deserves it for DRS, but it could go to Adam Guettel for The Light in the Piazza.
Dan Fogler will win for Best Featured Actor for Speliing Bee.
As well he should.
I think Sara Ramirez will win Best Featured Actress for Spamalot.
Best book will go to Rachel Scheinkin for Spelling Bee.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 01:13:18 AM by Iris212 »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 01:10:16 AM »

My favorite moment from past Tony broadcasts-- "Sunday" from

"Sunday in the Park with George"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 01:11:29 AM by Iris212 »

Michael

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 03:24:45 AM »

One of my absolute favorite Tony Award moments was seeing (on the original TV broadcast...and I'm so happy that it's on the second Tony DVD) the aforementioned Grand Hotel segment, "We'll Take a Glass Together," with Michael Jeter and the WSMA (that's World's Sexiest Man Alive in HHW lingo ;)) Brent Barrett.  I love this number and the way they do it.  There is just so much joy in the whole thing (without the subtext from the show, of course).

I remember that one too, but wondered why the original Baron David Carroll was sitting in the audience not doing it. It wasn't until a year or so later my question was answered.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 03:29:51 AM »

I think my two favorite years were the year of The Rink, Sunday In the Park With George and La Cage Aux Folles where they played tribute to all three composers and Fred Ebb and showed songs from all three shows. They even added a couple of lines to the Sunday finale so that Bernadette Peters could sing. The other year was the 50th anniversary of The Tonys. With all the past winners and musical momments from the past.

Also just remembered the tribute to the musicals that played the Imperial Theater.

There haven't been an memorial moments for years since CBS insisted that the show finished exactly at 11:00pm east coast time and there are 60 minutes worth of commercials in the three hour Broadcast!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 03:32:05 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 03:39:39 AM »

Since I have seen only one production on Broadway this year Spamelot I won't make any predictions. However I will say that I wasn't impressed with the score of Spamelot. It was vribbed from the movie and other sources. What was original wasn't all that impressive.

I also would like to say that Victoria Clark may not win Best Actress in a Musical despite what her publicist may want us to think. It may be the Chill Wills backlash factor. They may want to give it to Christina Applegate for he trouper must go on and that she is a notable name.

Otherwise I do not care about the telecast and will not watch it. Also I have stopped taping them. Looking forward to more dvds of the best moments.

Also I would like to add Dreamgirls and I Am Telling You I Am Not Going and the scene leading up to it. A real star is born moment, although she never lived up to her promise.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 03:40:19 AM »

Good Morning Larry and William
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 03:48:42 AM »

Just found out volume three of Broadway's Lost Treasures is coming out

Volume 3, due for broadcast on PBS in August and onsale from Acorn Productions in the DVD format in October, will feature 23 performances: the company of Merrick's 42nd Street ["We're In the Money"], Gwen Verdon performing "Whatever Lola Wants" from Damn Yankees along with, among others, an eight minute tribute to Ethel Merman, a Julie Andrews medley and numbers from Fossee, A Funny Thing..., How Now Dow Jones, Into the Woods, Kiss Me Kate, Peter Pan, Ragtime and West Side Story.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 04:05:54 AM »

This was in the LA Times

How Tony voters decide

Two producers, both Tony voters, recently discussed the strategy of casting ballots on what can be a family affair, given the cohesiveness of the Broadway community. Said one: "First, you vote for yourself. Second, you vote against your enemies. Third, you vote for your friends. And fourth, you vote for quality." To which his colleague responded, "You missed one: Voting against your friends
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2005, 04:33:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been watching Tony broadcasts since they began; I think the only year I missed was the year the amazing Barbara Harris did the "Gorgeous" sequence from THE APPLE TREE.  I especially remember Jerry Orbach doing "Basketball" and "Mama, Look Sharp" from 1776.  I don't remember what I did yesterday.  Is this Alzheimer or overwork?

I have no idea what or who will win tonight; since I'm not a personal friend of Miss Clark, who's had her publicist working overtime to keep her in the public eye fortonight, I can't say I want her to win.  I do think she will get it; if Lauren Bacall can win for struggling through WOMAN OF THE YEAR (over the late great Lynne Thigpen) the year after Lansbury worked her ass off in SWEENEY TODD, then having a good publicist or being a legend is great help in winning.  Are any legends - if any left - up this year?

I do want my friend Larry Hochman to win for orchestrations; he's excellent, to begin with, and I think his work on SPAMALOT catches every joke and bit of humor in the score.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 04:37:49 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2005, 05:37:52 AM »

Good night DR Elmore. Yes! I've put the toys away.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 06:57:30 AM »

Tom said:

I hope I never have to watch and hear Jennifer Holiday do her party piece again. I'm telling you I'm, not watching.

Tom, we are in a small minority. I agree with you. I was in Puerto Rico that year touring w/Sesame Street and we watched the Tonys in our hotel room. I was not impressed. I won't go on because I know that many people consider this one of the best performances they have ever seen. I will say that it gave me chills, but for all the wrong reasons. I am also not a fan of Dreamgirls. There, I've said it! I've come out of the closet about it. An early incarnation of Forbidden Broadway called it Screamgirls and that's good enough for me.

Long post ahead:

Doubt will win for Best Play, Best Direction, Best Actor, Best Actress and I think Adriane Lenox will win for Best Featured Actress. I wish I had seen Pillowman but I will see it very soon after Sunday. I do think that Pillowman has a good chance to take the design Tonys, even though I haven't seen the show I have seen enough pictures and read enough to make me think that's what will happen. As far as Costume Design for a Play (Pillowman is not nominated), I'm not sure at all. I'll give it to The Rivals which had a short run at Lincoln Center before Piazza came in. It was well received so I'll go with that for no other reason than I like the play and I love Dana Ivey (who is nominated for Best Featured Actress for that very production).

700 Sundays will win Best Theatrical Event.

Best Musical Revival is a toss-up between La Cage and Sweet Charity. Even if it was still running, I don't think that Pacific Overtures would have a chance. It was just too uneven a production. I think La Cage will win as will Jerry Mitchell for Best Choreography.

I think Best Score and Orchestrations will go to Guettel for Light in the Piazza. I would love for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to sneak in for this award, but I won't be disappointed when Piazza takes it. BK mentioned yesterday that the show probably works better in a theatre than on disc and I agree. This show will also take the design, lighting and costume awards, methinks. It is a sumputious and beautiful design. I do think Miss Clark will win and I think she deserves to win, whether her publicist has worked overtime or not. Although Christina Applegate came out of the Charity brouhaha looking very good I doubt she will take home a Tony. I could be wrong, stranger things have happened but that's my feeling today.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see Mark Kudisch and Jan Maxwell take the Tonys for Featured Actor/Actress in Chitty (or Joanna Gleason as Actress for DRS) but I do think it will be Fogler in Spelling Bee and Ramirez in Spamalot.

I think Mr. Alda will be Tonyfied for Glengarry Glenn Ross (another play I do not care for) and I think Best Revival of a Play will also go ot GGR

Mr. Butz has the Musical Best Actor Tony sewn up and did since his first performance of Great Big Stuff.

I'm not sure about book for a musical. The conventional wisdom seems to be Spelling Bee but I want DRS to win. It will probably go to SB

As Iris said, I would love for DRS to sneak in and take the Tony for Best Musical but it will go to Spamalot and Mike Nichols will get the Tony for Best Director of a Musical.

I think I've covered every category. If not, sue me (a Frank Loesser reference). Some of my predictions are based on conventional wisdom and others on just wanting the show or person to win.

I better post this before something happens. I also have to get back to the laundromat to retreive my laundry.

Later.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 07:02:13 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2005, 07:10:14 AM »

I, too, think Guettel will win Best Score and SPELLING BEE will win Best Book. I think (and hope) Jerry Mitchell wins the choreography prize for LA CAGE.

I posted my other predictions last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »

Favorite Tony moment: Robert Preston and Mary Martin doing "Nobody's Perfect" from I DO! I DO!

The numbers from A CHORUS LINE ("I Hope I Get It" and the finale) were also thrilling since I had heard the album and then got to see what it looked like long before I got up to NYC to see it.

I also loved the LA CAGE, SUNDAY, RINK year that Herman, Sondheim, and Kander & Ebb got tributes. What a great show!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2005, 07:14:11 AM »

I always look forward to the Tony Awards every year -- then fall asleep during the broadcast.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2005, 07:18:30 AM »

Thanks, DR Michael Shayne, for the info on BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES III. {sigh} Doesn't look like my favorite I DO! I DO! segment is going to make it in this time, nor are the DREAMGIRLS or A CHORUS LINE segments in evidence.

Most of those mentioned I already have on home-made tapes or DVDs.

I'm not sure I quite understand your hostility toward the Tony Awards. Sure, there are lots of politics and behind-the-scenes shenanigans involved in choosing the winners (in this and ALL awards). I watch for the musical moments, the speeches (which often seem the most genuinely touching of those in any awards show), and the gorgeous actor-watching.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up