Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FINDING KRITZERLAND  (Read 18125 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINDING KRITZERLAND
« on: June 25, 2005, 12:01:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've found Kritzerland, you believe in faeries, and now it is time for you to post until the Kritzerland Kows kome home.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 11:58:37 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FINDING KRITZERLAND
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 12:20:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: PARURE!

Smoke on your pipe and put THAT in!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 12:21:39 AM »

Guess I won't be able to stay up to see how the Bacharach show went.  A call would have been nice, but, I'll wait to read about it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:51:35 AM »

Just got back, BK, and I think it's way too late to be disturbing your beauty sleep.

Show went mostly very well.  A couple of little screwups, but I have been assured by several folk, including Betsy, that it wasn't apparent to the audience.  Everyone seemed very appreciative.  MBarnum was there, and he can give a more objective account of the proceedings.  I think that, all in all, it being our first time out with the insane rehearsal schedule we had, we pulled it off at least reasonably well.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 01:29:32 AM »

Well done JMK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:35:15 AM »

Good morning, al!  I'm having an ache in my jawbone, and I wonder if there's an abscess?  Getting older is no fun some days.

Well, yesterday was a good day:  I wrote some fixes on one DARLING OF THE DAY number, and completed "Let's See What Happens" and "A Little Extra Shilling."  Today and tomorrow are BABES editorial days, but I have to get a bit of GOLDEN APPLE's cello book cleaned up before Monday morning.

I've ordered my Kritzerland discs, so I'm hopefully off the bitch-slap lists.  I was surprised to see myself in the video, and I treally liked the photos of the production and sessions.  Once again, I see no photos of the elusive Guy Haines.

Dear Friend BK, I would see MR & MRS SMITH for free, but it looks to me like a poor ripoff of PRIZZI'S HONOR.  I wouldn't pay for it.

DRJMK, congratulations on a successful opening.  I hope the polish and pacing are better tonight.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 04:52:30 AM »

I'll just stick to a year for musicals:

1960:
Greenwillow
Bye Bye Birdie
The Fantasticks
Tenderloin
The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Camelot
Wildcat
Oliver (London)
Do Re Mi
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 05:21:03 AM »

Whew!  Just had a moment to visit the new KRITZERLAND site, and will be back for more this afternoon.  I pre-ordered the new GUY HAINES cd, and will anxiously await its delivery in July!  What a great line up of songs.

ANOTHER difficult trivia question.  I am headed back to the theatre to finish setting the light cues so that Monday's rehearsal will go well - even though the person doing the lights will be gone Monday & Tuesday - grrr.

I will be glad when next week is over!  Over 90 degrees here today and tomorrow they say.

More later.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 05:21:39 AM »

Congrats and best wishes to the Bacharach Crew and JMK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 05:27:23 AM »

I'm not sure I'm ready to offer my best season for musicals, but I will say that 1917 was a good year for Jerome Kern:
  HAVE A HEART
  LEAVE IT TO JANE
  OH, LADY! LADY!
Three of my favorite scores.

Also, 1925 was mighty tasty:
  NO NO NANETTE
  DEAREST ENEMY
  THE VAGABOND KING

Then there's 1956:
   BELLS ARE RINGING
   CANDIDE
   Li'L ABNER

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 05:52:50 AM »

okay I think I got it BUT I am also confused about

Name the person who played the lead in the hit play, and name the classic film they would co-star in (to great acclaim). Name the co-star from the hit play who also appeared in the classic film, and name the author of the novel the classic film was based on,

This I understand. They were in the play but not the film version. Did however appear in a classic film together that was based on a novel.

and the hit play that they had on Broadway at the same time as the hit play of our contest.

This I don't understand. How can they have a hit play on Broadway as the same time as appearing in the play for which they did not appear in the film version?
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 06:22:27 AM »

Morning, all!

How many miles does your new car have, DR Matt?  You know I have yet to put a thousand on Bonnie and I’ve had her since January.  Everyone teases me about that at work.  

I guess I should plan a small trip to Orlando or someplace to give her a good run.  

I'm very glad to hear that the Bacharach show went well.   :)  Good vibes for continued success with it!  

The walking/eating tour is really starting to sound like fun!  Hard to believe we are less then a hundred days away from our gathering in the New City of York.

Well, not much else to say.  I have to make the usual shopping run.  Think I'll try to leave early so I can get home and veg.

Laters~

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 06:50:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I ended falling asleep before midnight last night - which hasn't happened in a long time.  I got up around 8:30, but I'm still feeling a bit groggy, and it's already almost 10:00.   I went ahead and poured myself a half-cup of coffee, and hopefully that will help matters.

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 06:53:34 AM »

As for the Best Season on Broadway...

It just hurts too much right now to  think that much, so I shall have to think about it later.

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 06:55:06 AM »

As for the Unseemly Trivia Question...

That's why my head hurts.

;)

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 06:55:46 AM »

Lonely...
I'm Mr. Lonely...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 07:03:55 AM »

DR Ben - Yes, I know Cones!  Those Argentinians really do know how to do it right!  Argentinians and gelati - who knew?!?  *And I seem to remember that there is some sort of direct lineage between Cones and Il Laboratorio.

*Actually, that part of The Village would make a days-worth of eating and touring in itself.  I can't recall specific names right now, but there are some nice Italian bakery, pastry and dessert shops down there.  Pizza - John's, Ray's, etc.  Then sampling all the various varietals of Olive Oils at Oliviers - which has really branched out, literally, in a very fast fashion.  That herb shoppe.  Coffee and tea shops.  Etc., Etc., Etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 07:11:46 AM »

OH!!!

DR Jane - Have you heard about "teany"?  It's a tea shop and cafe that was founded by the musician/"rocker", Moby, and his wife.  Very world conscious and health conscious.  And vegetarian.

And on the Lower East Side - which opens another world of possibilities - culinary and otherwise.

*And I was surprised that no one had taken that name, "teany", before.  Just such a great play on words - tea and   N(ew) Y(ork).

http://www.teany.com
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 07:17:48 AM »

Ooohh...

And then there's also Rice To Riches - the rice pudding place.  Lots of flavors.  Lots of toppings.  And fun names for their concoctions: Cinnamon Sling, Rest in Peach, Almond Shmalmond, etc.

And a very cool website too!  -The opening animation is fun.

http://www.ricetoriches.com

*And they ship too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 07:18:30 AM »

Yeah!  I guess the coffee is kicking in.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 07:28:30 AM »

Yes, the trivia contest gave me a headache just reading it. I'll have to get to it later. Right now, I have a crick in my neck, and it's killing me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 07:31:41 AM »

DR Danise - Was Bonnie new when you bought her?  Or was she "new to you"?  In any case...  A nice, extended highway drive would probably be a good thing.  I'm sure Bonnie's engine would appreciate the exercise so to speak.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 07:34:31 AM »

As for my favorite theater year, that's a tough one since there are several Broadway seasons that were wild with hit plays and musicals. DR Elmore mentioned 1956 and didn't mention MY FAIR LADY, but I think he's picked one of the greatest for certain.

But I think I'll have to pick the 1950-1951 season where we had

GUYS AND DOLLS
THE KING AND I
CALL ME MADAM
OUT OF THIS WORLD
MAKE A WISH
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN
FLAHOOLEY
THE CONSUL

and the plays

COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA
THE COUNTRY GIRL
THE ROSE TATTOO

« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 07:37:20 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 07:36:03 AM »

DR Danise, since I retired, I typically put between 3,000-4,000 miles a year on a car, and that's all. And if I don't do a show that involves commuting, even less than that.

I really do not drive much at all unless it's absolutely necessary, and with gas prices what they are, joy rides are strictly out of the question.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2005, 07:36:13 AM »

Just listening to one of the Broadway internet radio stations, and they just played "Spend, Spend, Spend" from Spend, Spend, Spend which apparently ran during the 1999-2000 season in London.

Oh, and now they're playing "Simply Heavenly" from Simply Heavenly...

-I guess they're running an English musical block right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2005, 07:49:30 AM »

DR Danise, since I retired, I typically put between 3,000-4,000 miles a year on a car, and that's all. And if I don't do a show that involves commuting, even less than that.

I really do not drive much at all unless it's absolutely necessary, and with gas prices what they are, joy rides are strictly out of the question.

Well, my car just hit 214,500 miles, so...

I remember being slightly amazed the first year I had my current and only car - I had driven it at least 14,000 miles.  So, as for the whole "1 Year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first"... Well, the 10,000 miles came first.

;)

I have to say I do love driving.  Even traffic can be fun at times for me.  Forces me just to relax and deal with it.  Listen to the radio.  Listen to music.  Watch the other drivers around me getting frustrated over something they can't control (sort of).  -Now, if I'm running late, well that's another story...

But if I can take the time do so, I do like going for a drive in the country - or even just around the neighborhood.  "There's such a lot of world to see..."

In fact, it looks like tomorrow will be an "exploring" day for me and my friend, Andy.  A friend of mine will be giving his graduate recital tomorrow afternoon out in Winchester - a nice hour's drive out Route 50 from DC.  So, the current plan is to drive out there for the recital, then to make our way back Route 50, stopping at all those various small towns along the way: Purcellville, Upperville, Middleburg (which is where that one contestant from that fashion show on Bravo lives, and has her shop), etc., etc...  Oh, and I guess we could take that small detour on Rt. 11 to the Rt. 11 Potato Chip Factory.  -And I bet the roadside vegetable and fruit stands should be quite "full" this time of year too.

"There is life outside your apartment..."

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2005, 07:50:40 AM »

Yeah!  I think I'm finally awake!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 08:14:33 AM »

I really loathe driving for the most part. When I was dating a fella who lived 220 miles away, it was a GREAT endeavor for me to drive that distance so we could be together. I did it, of course, but the drives were torture. I much prefer travel by plane.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2005, 08:26:59 AM »

Michael: The "they" refers to the author of the novel and the hit play that the AUTHOR had on Broadway.  I use "they" so as not to give away the gender of people.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 08:30:52 AM »

Well, since we're here...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up