Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FINDING KRITZERLAND  (Read 18465 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FINDING KRITZERLAND
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »

Well, I did it for Page Two, I might as well do it for...

PAGE THREE!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2005, 12:48:31 PM »

A big welcome to Jami!  Glad to hear your report.  Got one via e-mail from Adair, too.  Apparently, some staging had to be adjusted, because originally they were hoping for a full house, and since it's a thrust stage I had blocked a few things where the went to the extreme sides of the house - there weren't any people there, however, so I'm sure they made the easy adjustment to play where there WERE people.  

I'm on my way to pick up packages and shall return momentarily.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »

I'll wear white cotton panties.

Would that have been the title of a song that Susan Pomeroy would have written for Benjamin Kritzer?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »

I'll wear white cotton panties.

Or will that be the title of DR jamiblanc's forthcoming autobiography?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »

And, now, I nap...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »

Greetings from Chicago!

This will be a quick post because I'm in the ALA internet cafe and people are waiting to use the computers.  Our journey here yesterday was smooth, but took about 2 hours longer than I'd estimated (traffic jams around Indianapolis and Gary).  When Becky and I were checking in at the Hyatt, we were asked if we wanted to pay and extra $15 for a lake view, which we did and I will post a spectacular photo when I get home.  Because I'd requested a AAA rate, we were also given vouchers for breakfast for 2 in the hotel restaurant for each morning we're here (now, that's a deal!).  We tried to get into Wicked last night (sold out), but had great seats to see The Lion King.

Today, I'm in full conference mode at McCormick Place.

It's very, very hot in Chicago.

Thanks for the travel vibes, everybody - they really helped.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2005, 01:19:07 PM »

Jami, I am so glad you posted...and now I realize I have been misspelling your name all this time! LOL!

Jamiblanc, by the way is appearing in the stage production of ROCKY HORROR SHOW, which I am going to try to get tickets for next month!

I do hope the Bacharach show continues, and if it does, I do hope BK will be coming to Portland again as his last visit was a lot of fun!

And Jami is right, and I had sort of forgotten, that her hubby has done a number of other things on stage...and I had plum forgotten about DEATH OF A SALESMAN, which I would love to have seen! Perhaps JamiBlanc will keep me posted as to Bruce's (and Adair's) further stage exploits so that I don't miss anything fun!!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »

Sounds like you are having some fun in the windy city DR Ginny!

It is beautiful today! But alas, I am gonna plotz on the couch and watch another of my Hong Kong movies...this one is a soaper...BETWEEN LAUGHTER AND TEARS (1961) starring a bunch of people and Roy Chiao  ;D

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2005, 01:29:59 PM »

Personally, the 1964 season holds me in its thrall, what with HELLO DOLLY and FUNNY GIRL running.  And my favorite season since I've been alive?  The 96/97 season, with STEEL PIER, TITANIC, CHICAGO, was a fantastic season.  Just sayin'.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »

Welcome to new DR jamiblanc.

Wonderful reading about the revue and all the excitement!

Here - ain't it awful, the heat?  Whew!  But the lights are set and the cues are in the system....hopefully they will work.  Lots of running up and down the steps since I was setting the lights by myself, but there you are!

Saturday....hot Saturday.  

Working on the trivia question, but this might be the second IN A ROW that has stumped me.  More dead ends than crossroads....grrrr.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2005, 02:21:15 PM »

Personally, the 1964 season holds me in its thrall, what with HELLO DOLLY and FUNNY GIRL running.  And my favorite season since I've been alive?  The 96/97 season, with STEEL PIER, TITANIC, CHICAGO, was a fantastic season.  Just sayin'.

WELCOME BACK Divarobbie!

Any news on when your cd is coming out?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 03:41:06 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2005, 02:24:26 PM »

The trivia question:

Great one. Work hard on it. Funny thing was I would have had it sooner but the wording was hard for me and I was working on another season that had plays that worked right up to the second to last question.
When BK reworded it I went back to my first thought and it worked!!

Loved the challenge!
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2005, 02:58:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

All napped.

:)

We'll be heading out to dinner in a little bit.  Vietnamese tonight, a place called Mekong.  Very good Vietnamese food, and it's been open in Richmond for years.  I haven't been there in a long while, and since I have a drive ahead of me later tonight, Vietnamese food should be perfect since it's never really "heavy" food.  And one of Steve's neighbors will be joining us since he was the who called to see if we wanted to go to dinner.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2005, 03:01:11 PM »

DR Ginny - Oooohh!  A Lake View Room at the Hyatt!  I've paid that extra $15 a couple of times myself.  Sooooo worth it!  How high up are you?  Lovely view of the fountain too if I recall correctly.

Be sure to go to Ann Sather's for breakfast if you can.  Or anytime of the day.  The cinnamon buns.... YUMMERS!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »

That's because MY FAIR LADY was a part of the 1955-56 season, and the musicals I mentioned were part of the 1956-57 season.  However, I was inconsistent; I really don't know if the 1925 shows I listed were all part of the same season or not.

Except that MY FAIR LADY won the 1957 Tony. And the shows it beat out for the Tony were BELLS ARE RINGING, CANDIDE, and THE MOST HAPPY FELLA (definitely a 1957 show).

I was going strictly by Tony eligibility (which has not been consistent from year to year admittedly).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2005, 03:05:09 PM »

I worked on the trivia question for awhile, but I got stymied by one particular piece and just let it go. Glad you solved it, DR Michael Shayne.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2005, 03:21:50 PM »

Bruce maybe I should have mentioned this before you fed your cold, ;D however, “Feed a cold, starve a fever” is an old wives tale.

From http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_154b.html
“Doctors have been trying to stamp out the above piece of folklore for years. Current medical thinking is that you want to keep an even strain when you're sick with either a cold or a fever, and you certainly don't want to stress your system by stuffing or starving yourself.”

Jane

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2005, 03:26:30 PM »

I have to say I do love driving.  Even traffic can be fun at times for me.  Forces me just to relax and deal with it.  Listen to the radio.  Listen to music.  

But if I can take the time do so, I do like going for a drive in the country - or even just around the neighborhood.  "There's such a lot of world to see..."

Do you want to pick me up in Bethesda and have a driving and eating trip back to New York?  ;D

Jane

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2005, 03:34:39 PM »

Ooohh...

And then there's also Rice To Riches - the rice pudding place.  Lots of flavors.  Lots of toppings.  And fun names for their concoctions: Cinnamon Sling, Rest in Peach, Almond Shmalmond, etc.

And a very cool website too!  -The opening animation is fun.

http://www.ricetoriches.com

*And they ship too!

REALLY COOL!!!  I just love the introduction.  elmore have you had their rice pudding?

Jose you might have mentioned Teany's or someplace like it.  I don't remember a website.  

If we are really going to eat at all the food places you and Ben have mentioned I will need to WALK, WALK, WALK to burn off the calories.  I will be very embarrassed if you need to roll me down the streets of NY. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2005, 03:38:18 PM »

Except that MY FAIR LADY won the 1957 Tony. And the shows it beat out for the Tony were BELLS ARE RINGING, CANDIDE, and THE MOST HAPPY FELLA (definitely a 1957 show).

I was going strictly by Tony eligibility (which has not been consistent from year to year admittedly).

Both MY FAIR LADY and MOST HAPPY FELLA were in the 1955-56 season; the Tony winners in 1956 were all from 1955:  Lenya in THREEPENNY OPERA, Ray Walston and DAMN YANKEES, etc., so I have no idea what the hell was going on with the Tonys then.  Clearly it was for the year and not the season as it is now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »

Nope, this has nothing to do with allergies.  I've been drinking four cups of emergenC daily, but today it's going back to three.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling better.  Did you buy some watermellon?  I am amazed the difference it makes when I have a cold.  I only discovered it less than two years ago.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2005, 03:42:07 PM »

I then spotted JMK's lovely wife Betsy (by the way, one of the nicest people you will ever meet)

I will second that!

Glad the show was so enjoyable. :D

Michael

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2005, 03:47:07 PM »

Both MY FAIR LADY and MOST HAPPY FELLA were in the 1955-56 season; the Tony winners in 1956 were all from 1955:  Lenya in THREEPENNY OPERA, Ray Walston and DAMN YANKEES, etc., so I have no idea what the hell was going on with the Tonys then.  Clearly it was for the year and not the season as it is now.

I think it wasn't until sometime in the 1970's where the Tony Awards followed the season June 1st-May 31st. I think it may have started with the 1973 Awards, but I could be wrong.

For example Company opened in April 1970. But it won its Tony Awards in the 1971 competion.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2005, 03:47:49 PM »

And Lenya won for her OFF Broadway performance in Threepenny Opera
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »

jamiblanc WELCOME!  Your first post is delightful and informative.  Thank you.  I look forward to many more.

Hi divarobbie, nice to see you.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2005, 04:13:46 PM »

We watched the "Candide" DVD last night.  Mostly fun.  I still just don't "get" Ms Lupone.  Her diction was even worse than in "Sweeney Todd".  I really enjoyed "Candide's" performance too - what a wonderful voice. (I must do some research).

I've seen a few productions of "Candide" and have several recordings and two other versions on Video. I think the only way it really works is in concert. It just does not need elaborate sets etc.

The CD of her "Sweeney" is worth quite a lot of money these days. Don't know why - I can't listen to it. It is in the same class of Bernadette's "Song and Dance".
(and I do like soem of Ms Peter's work).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »

I must admit, Song and Dance is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.  I generally like Bernadette, but not ALW.  I realize it's far from "good," but there's something about it that strangely appeals in spots.

I'm completely with you in regards to Lupone, though, Tomovoz.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2005, 04:22:47 PM »

And another welcome to Jamiblanc, whom I found thoroughly delightful at the Portland gathering!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »

With "Song and Dance" I didn't care for the new lyrics either. I still much prefer the orginal "Tell Me On A Sunday" version with Marti Webb.  The video with Ms Brightman is OK.  The whole concept of an English girl in New York and then LA worked much better IMHO.

The "Letters Home" music resurfaces in Act One of "The Woman In White".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2005, 04:34:56 PM »

Adelphia has been down for the last two hours, hence my unseemly absence.  Still feeling iffy.  

Jane: An old wives' tale?  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  And here, I just fed a cold again (some eggs and toast - nice 'n' easy).  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up