Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINCH OF SNUFF  (Read 13177 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:A PINCH OF SNUFF
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »

Christopher O'Riley recorded a CD of new age piano music based on Radiohead songs (they are an alternative group) in 2003 - it's nice to listen to.  He recently published the music - all done on Finale and TOTALLY impossible to play.  The bride of this wedding I'm playing for on Saturday requested 6 of the songs from that CD.  I bought the book, it's a lovely book cost WAY too much $$, and the best I can do for Saturday is MAYBE a few themes from each.  She also wants Seal, Enya, Clair De Lune and the Canon in D.  It's all very eclectic and very strange, but fun and challenging.  To give you an idea of what this music looks like, it looks very black on each page.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »

Page 6 dance... let's dance to some REAL Radiohead, not some re-visited piano stuff.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2005, 09:12:01 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

It's a small world after all,
It's a small world after all,
It's a small world after all...

Well... This just in...

I just got a call from a conductor I worked with last year.  It turns out he just happened to call Tom, who is helping DR elmore out on the Babes project, earlier tonight.  Well... Tom mentioned that I had met him today - and that I had brought his friend's, the conductor's, name up in the course of our conversation...  And since I'm now done with Mamma Mia!...  So...  Due to a sort of musical emergency, I may be heading to upstate New York this weekend for a few days.

Details to be worked out in the morning... But I just have the sense that this will be the start of a nice string of NYC environs-based work.

WHOO and PEE!

Hmmm...  Maybe I should stick with HOO and RAY!

-All together now...
It's a small, small world.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »

That is very good news Jose!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2005, 09:17:59 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Theatermania.com had the Kritzerland press release today, and I came home to quite a few preorders, which was a lovely surprise.  

Had a really fun rehearsal with Kevin, about which more later.  

Had a really good time at Grant's - first entering galley fixes (we actually managed to do two-thirds of the fixes today), then going out to dinner with Grant, his mother (visiting from San Jose), nephew, beautiful daughter Greer, lovely wife Lydia, and we had a great meal and a total blast.  The people at the next table told us they wanted to hire Grant and I to be the entertainment at their next party.

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2005, 09:18:06 PM »

Great new indeed DR Jose.  There is a lot to be said for the "Toms" of this world. DR Elmore seems to attract them!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2005, 09:19:11 PM »

Oh, and practically nothing arrived today, mail-wise.  Something weird is going on, because I've got so much stuff that's overdue.  Hopefully, tomorrow.  Also, had very good news today about another Kritzerland upcoming release, this one that we've had several requests for.  Very excited about it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2005, 09:19:52 PM »

Mentioned Kritzerland to the guys at Melbourne's leading store for such music - "Discurio". Hope some orders eventuate for you BK. I know they've checked out the site.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

DR Matthew - Yeah, those Christopher O'Riley transcriptions are pretty thorny.  If all else fails, just keep the damper pedal down.  -I had heard that the Radiohead transcriptions were published, but I didn't hear which publisher picked them up.  ???

-And you really can't dance to those Radiohead transcriptions at all.  They're good in small doses - like one or two during NPR's "Performance Today", but a whole album of them.... Hmmm... I've listened to the CD once.  And fallen asleep to it more than once.  ;)

I still have yet to hear the new album which has other singers and songwriters represented on it.  I may or may not buy it.  I'll probably wait for it to show up on BMG.

But...

I do admire his playing.  I've heard him in a recital a few times, both as a soloist and in chamber music settings.  Some truly effortless pianism.

And my favorite transcription of his is still the one he did of the Duet from "Lakme" which was published in Piano Quarterly - I think it was PQ - a couple of years ago.

Oh... and I'm soooo glad that the commercial classical radio station in DC decided to pick up "From The Top" after the NPR/PBS station went to an all news format.  "From the Top" features up and coming young - and I mean young - classical musicians from all over the country.  Christopher O'Riley acts as host and accompanist for the program.  And he also plays one very brief solo during the break.  And they've collected a bunch of little solos and put out a CD.  A great collection of little gems, known and little known.

Oh.... And he's also very easy on the eyes too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2005, 09:29:06 PM »

...And that really is quite the eclectic selection of music for that wedding.  -Could you possibly throw in some David Lanz?  I like his stuff, and the published arrangements are pretty decent.

...And this wedding you're playing for reminds me of my all-time favorite wedding I've ever played.  I got the gig through a friend of a friend.  It was for a military couple, and there were getting married on Andrews Air Force Base in the Chapel.  I was told they would require the traditional Wedding March and Processional.  No problem.  But then they wanted to add some more "popular" songs to their ceremony.

Well, it turned out to be a totally Stevie Wonder wedding.  And I had a blast.  Both families were blessed with amazing singers, and I've truly never enjoyed myself at a wedding so much in my life.  Great music.  Great people.  Great spirit.

*Again, I'm talking good singers - I didn't even have to hide any cringing!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2005, 09:33:23 PM »

To give you an idea of what this music looks like, it looks very black on each page.

When I coached with Santiago Rodriguez, I had asked him about the first time he had played the Ginastera piano sonatas since I was playing the first one at the time - and that's the piece I wanted to get coached by him on.

I believe he premiered the Third one...  He was on the road at the time when the composer sent the music to his house.  So, when he was on the phone with his wife, he asked to her to open up the music to give him an idea of what it looked like.  And her response was, "There's a lot of black on the page."

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2005, 09:36:24 PM »

Oh, and practically nothing arrived today, mail-wise.  Something weird is going on, because I've got so much stuff that's overdue.  Hopefully, tomorrow.  Also, had very good news today about another Kritzerland upcoming release, this one that we've had several requests for.  Very excited about it.

The mail has indeed been a bit weird this week.  Even the telemarketers have slowed down - I haven't had to erase too many "Unknowns" from the Called ID box here at my parents' house.  In fact, today, they received NO calls whatsoever - and that's very strange.

Maybe everyone is just taking this week off.... Then next week after the 4th, everything will pick up again.  For better or worse.

And, hmmm... An upcoming release...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2005, 09:37:50 PM »

That is very good news Jose!

Well, as they say, It's just an honor to be nominated... well, called.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2005, 09:38:33 PM »

Great new indeed DR Jose.  There is a lot to be said for the "Toms" of this world. DR Elmore seems to attract them!

Why, you resemble that remark.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2005, 09:39:35 PM »

OK... I need to calm down a bit and start winding down...  Sleep would be a good thing right now...  In a little while...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 09:39:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »

What?!!?  No posts since I last posted almost an hour ago?!?!?

SKAMMEN!!l

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2005, 10:20:24 PM »

And now...

I sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »

Goodnight Jose.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2005, 10:39:44 PM »

DR TOMovOZ thanks for the DEREK updates.  

DR HISAKA - that is indeed a lovely new avatar, for a change of air.

Hi, Jason!  We're doing PIPPIN, but you're not Indiana's rep! 8-(

I second MBARNUM's cd suggestions of Ronald Stein's JD soundtracks.  Although thanks to MR BK we have the rock n roll numbers from ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN!  And they were re-used of course in DIARY OF A HIGH SCHOOL BRIDE.

I will also second new DRimbeanie's lowbrow partner's suggestion of ELECTRIC DREAMS soundtrack.  I like that movie.

Most best wonderfullest rehearsal of all today.  Hopefully tomorrow will be the same!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2005, 11:13:16 PM »

What?!!?  No posts since I last posted almost an hour ago?!?!?

SKAMMEN!!l

;)

That's what I'M talkin' about.  This WUSSBURGERING is most unseemly and quite ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up