Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINCH OF SNUFF  (Read 14405 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A PINCH OF SNUFF
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2005, 12:57:16 PM »

Beautiful day here in the City of Studio.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2005, 12:58:39 PM »

A friend is loaning me his copy of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 9widescreen naturally), so once I have seen it, I will have more to say. I had a few random comments when I saw the first 20 minutes at a friend's house, but we were also talking and preparing lunch, and I really didn't get to concentrate on it as I would have liked. Once I get a copy of it here, I can give it my full attention.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2005, 01:01:33 PM »

I spent a great part of the afternoon watching the first few episodes of BEWITCHED from the new boxed set of Season 1 (the black and white edition, naturally). Watched three episodes, and in the third there's Jack Warden playing a client of Darrin's who's attracted to Samantha.

The shows never looked this sharp when I watched them as a kid. Of course, it was the TV we were using that wasn't so sharp. Being on film, I guess the episodes have always been of a certain quality. We're only now being able to see it for what it was.

And I had NO memory that Jose Ferrer was the narrator of the first two episodes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:02:04 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2005, 01:04:52 PM »

I have a fair number of things on the DVR that need to be watched and cleared off, too. So much to see and such limited time to watch.

I got THE INNOCENTS off the FMC, so I'm looking forward to watching that at some point this weekend. It's been a long, long time since I saw it, and as I said before, watched it on a commercial network years ago full of commercial breaks and obviously formatted to fit  4:3 screen. Can't wait to finally see the real thing!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2005, 01:11:30 PM »

I shall shortly be on my way to rehearse with Mr. Spirtas.  I'll be rehearsing with him regularly from now until mid-July and his show.  We have four rehearsals scheduled for next week.

Jason

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2005, 01:13:14 PM »

Matt H: I've been catching up on some old TV, too. I recently acquired the third season of WONDER WOMAN and the second season of THE GOLDEN GIRLS. Big hair, big shoulders and lots of metallic fabrics - who could ask for anything more!?!

DR Laura: Hi! I'm glad to hear you guys are doing alright out there. How are DR MusicGuy and Kerry? I think they're heading to Chicago soon, aren't they? I wish I could go this year... :( Send them my love - and Sandra, too!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:16:02 PM by Jason »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:02 PM »

I've never really understood the notion that the Phantom, in POTO, should be ugly.  

He holds Christine in his thrall...she IS attracted to him..he seduces her with music and she is charmed by him.  Ultimately, she is repulsed by his actions rather than his scarred face.

As for the idea that it's not necessarily realistic to be asked to believe that a woman might look ollder than a man when both are of similar ages...well, it's probably seen as a stereotype by many, but a lot of men do not age as quickly as women (and some age rapidly).

"It's a well-know fact that a man grows more attactive
"With each passing year
"He grows more and more attractive
"And the girls react...
"It's a well-known fact."
                                  -- (Tom Jones/Harvey Schmidt - "I Do! I Do!")
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:31:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2005, 01:26:14 PM »

I've never really understood the notion that the Phantom should be ugly.

I've never read the original novel by Gaston Laroux (I had it on a shelf in my classroom for many years, but never took the time to take it down and read it.) But the fact that he's always been portrayed that way (until the recent film) makes me suspect that's the way it was written. Am I wrong?

Jason

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »

The thing about Christine and the Phantom - he represents her father in many ways. Also, she is mesmerized by his soul. His musicality. Not his looks. She sees past all of that and finds him to be far more attractive on the inside - then he becomes jealous and his soul becomes as ugly as his outward appearance. So you have the dichotomy of having strapping, gorgeous Raoul (who should have fired his wig person, if you ask me), who is rich and suave and caring and painfully boring versus the dangerous, passionate guy with the deformed face. Let's face it - most of us are at least attracted to the bad boys/girls, even if we never actually pursue them.

The romance of the whole thing is who does she choose - the man who is handsome and attentive but boring, or the ugly guy who lights a spark in her soul? The story certainly gives hope to those of us who are less than god-like in the looks department.

If you ask me, they didn't make Gerard Butler nearly ugly enough - his eyes and mouth would have been enough for anyone to fall for. He's pretty darn sexy - even underneath the makeup.

Emmy Rossum, beautiful as she is, just wasn't old enough to play the part, IMHO. She also didn't have the voice that I thought she needed to basically overthrow the prima donna of a major opera house. I thought the movie was beautifully shot and the costumes and sets were GORGEOUS, as were the orchestrations, but the singing was lacklustre and disappointing.

I will say, however, the Special Edition DVD is worth getting just for the Broadway behind-the-scenes stuff.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:37:35 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2005, 01:27:55 PM »

Yes, DR Jason, I wanted to start another season of a TV series after I finished with ANGEL Season 2 the other day. I had thought it might be THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, but when BEWITCHED came in yesterday, I couldn't resist it.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2005, 01:29:24 PM »

Yep, my friend has the two disc set of POTO, so I'll get to see those special features after I've watched the entire film.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2005, 01:31:44 PM »

One more comment on BEWITCHED: Alice Pearce is such a riot as Gladys Kravitz. She milks what could have been a worn out one note gag for all it was worth show after show after show.

Sandra Gould, who replaced Alice after she died, was never able to capture that same harried housewife.

Jason

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »

Amy Sedaris is playing Gladys in the film version. And Kristi Chenoweth is in there, too, as Maria somebody. Has anyone seen it yet?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2005, 01:45:54 PM »

DR Jason, any audition plans?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

There are plans, DR Laura...oh...there are BIG plans! Problem is, in order to seek employment as an actor, I must become unemployed at this job. But the wheels are turning - I have plans. Stay tuned for further details...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2005, 01:57:30 PM »

A hearty welcome back to DR Jason!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »

Did I mention I may be coming to L.A. for a week in August? A friend of mine is actually donating enough of his frequent flyer miles so I can have a real vacation. Can you imagine? I haven't set any dates yet, but I'd love it if I could get the chance to meet up with some of you folks on the other coast!

DR Laura: If you and DR Sandra and Kerry and Lyn could make it up, that'd be swellegant, too!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »

DR Jason, if you are going to be in LA in August, DR Sandra and I will come!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2005, 02:11:47 PM »

TOD:  The New York Shakespeare Festival's revival of The Threepenny Opera with Raul Julia.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:17:13 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm posting via the free wireless internet access in the lobby of DR elmore's hotel.  We'll be heading over to the National Theatre in a bit.  I'll be picking up my paycheck; Tom will be meeting up with an old friend of his from Chicago - who happens to be one of the other keyboard players for Mamma Mia!; and elmore will just be coming along for the ride.  However, after I take care of my businees, then elmore and I shall be heading out for dinner somewhere.   The dish will be dished, and I suspect many an ear will be burning tonight.  Perhaps even some "ears" here on HHW.

;D

So...

A good day at the LoC.  And elmore actually managed to make a "discovery" of his own.  *I'd share said "discoveries", but I'm not sure I'm at liberty to do so.  However, I'm sure elmore will share the news once he returns to NYC on Saturday.

Well, let me read today's posts for a bit...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2005, 02:32:29 PM »

Tell Elmore hello from me DR JoseP...and let him know I got the CDs in the mail.

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »

OzDerek days hello and thank you for the vibes. He is on the way to hospital again for his third day of IV steroids.
I think he should be in a remake of a combined movie- "Hulk" and Poitier's "For Love Of I.V."
He gets a rest for the next few days.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »

In fact, the only instance of a cast album being recorded and never released is, I believe, Paul Simon's The Capeman.
And it's wonderful.
No matter the views held about the subject matter of the musical and of the production itself, the double album is excellent.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:55:45 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2005, 03:00:15 PM »

Question for BK.
With my purchase of each of the Guy Haines mini Cds there was a free book (something about Kritzer!). Will there be a mini book provided with the full length CD?
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2005, 03:02:04 PM »

Tell Derek that he is in the prayers of 207 additional people around the US (the church newsletter just went out).

Michael

« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2005, 03:07:29 PM »

What I'd like on CD:

BAKER STREET (OBC)

CANDIDE (1973 revisal)

A TIME FOR SINGING (OBC)

Julie Andrews: DON'T GO IN THE LION'S CAGE TONIGHT

STARS OF THE SILVER SCREEN 1929-1930

And I, too, would like the Ian Richardson-Christine Andreas-George Rose MY FAIR LADY (OBC)

Don't go Into the Lion's Cage has been releases on CD
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »

Didn't Columbia record SMILE and just never released it after the show closed after a few performances? How awful that Sony has not seen fit to release it, for the archives if nothing else.

No it was never recorded by Sony. It was recorded by Samuel French for theater groups that were considering doing the show. The recording follows the rewrite and not what appeared duing the Broadway run.

I see that BK beat me to the answer,
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 03:26:05 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2005, 03:11:42 PM »

Thank you DR Laura. Will do.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »

One more comment on BEWITCHED: Alice Pearce is such a riot as Gladys Kravitz. She milks what could have been a worn out one note gag for all it was worth show after show after show.

Sandra Gould, who replaced Alice after she died, was never able to capture that same harried housewife.

And Marion Lorne was wonderful as Aunt Clara. They didn't try to replace.

For years I only new Sandra Gould as Gladys. They only reran the color episodes. Alice Pearce only appeared in B&W.

and by a strange twist of fate

They both won supporting actress in a comedy series after they past away.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2005, 04:43:14 PM »

A WHOLE HOUR-PLUS HAS GONE BY AND NO POSTS?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up