Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINCH OF SNUFF  (Read 14457 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A PINCH OF SNUFF
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2005, 04:43:26 PM »

What a revoltin' development!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2005, 04:44:42 PM »

Day is at an end.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »

Time to hit the road...just one-half more day...and then it's off to the movies and a FOUR-DAY WEEKEND!

Yay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2005, 04:47:12 PM »

I have no idea what to have for supper.

I'm a bit tired of franks and beans...and I've had meat loaf at home and today at lunch...

I've done fish a couple of times this week...

...and dim sum.

I want a steak.  But I don't want to risk it while I still have sutures in my gum.

Sigh.

Maybe something will appeal to me before I get home.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

Perhaps we were all waiting for you DR RLP.
My excuse - I was visiting the Post Office to pick up my copy of "Runaways" - a broadway show I did not have on vinyl and of which I know nothing!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2005, 04:55:08 PM »

DR Laura: I've spoken to OzDerek on his cell phone and passed on your "post". He is truly touched by the concern and support at HHW. He should be well into his third treatment at this moment.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »

Well, my friends, this is my last post for a few days. I need to pack and get things in order for my departure tomorrow. I will be computerless until Monday afternoon (and maybe even later depending on how many posts I have to read when I return).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2005, 05:26:21 PM »

I would love to have a CD of ON THE FLIP SIDE with Rick Nelson.  It was reissued as a CD, but was only released in Japan.  

Perhaps the success of Guy Haines new recording of THEY DON'T GIVE MEDALS will prompt them to release it here in the states.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2005, 05:41:59 PM »

Good to see you DR Jason.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2005, 05:46:40 PM »

Jason -- Glad to see you back.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2005, 06:11:33 PM »

Good Evening!

BANANA FOSTERS BREAD PUDDING!!
:D

*Details to follow.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2005, 06:28:14 PM »

...Back from the LoC - The Library of Congress, Performing Arts Reading Room...

We truly had a good day - and DR elmore and his fellow music-sleuther, Tom - have already proclaimed this visit a very "profitable" one already.

DR elmore is truly an encyclopedic fount of knowledge.  And not just in regards to the "big stuff", but also the little details, dates, and contributing factors.  It was a true pleasure hearing his comments, history and "trivia" each time we opened up a box of manuscripts and examined a page or two.

-And I had a fun time manning the copier too!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2005, 07:01:18 PM »

After our brief respite at the hotel, we boarded the Metro to get to Metro Center.  We headed down to the National Theatre where I proceeded to pick up my paycheck, and where Tom proceeded to wait for his friend.  DR elmore and I then headed to get some dinner.

He mentioned burgers.  I mentioned this place.  Then another place.  Then we settled on Capital City Brewing Co.  We both had salads and burgers.  Very good burgers.  Oh, and we also each partook of a glass of Capital City's own brewed in-house Hefeweizen - a nice, German-style, unfiltered Wheat Beer.  A perfect libation for a summer day.

After finishing off the salad, burger and fries, I was actually a bit full.  However, DR elmore had noticed their Banana Fosters dessert while we were perusing the menu, so...  We split a dessert.

What came to the table was a big bowl filled with a big dessert.  In the center of the bowl was a "disc" of bread pudding (at least 5" inches across), topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, sitting in a pool of banana-brown sugar sauce.

DEE-LISH!!!!

It really was quite good.  DR elmore thought it was one of the best things he's put in his mouth tasted in a long time.

;D

By the time we put our dessert spoons down, there was still some Banana Foster left in the bowl.  It was a very generous portion.

After talking and dishing for a while more, we headed back to the Metro.  *I took the "scenic route" to get out of the restaurant - Let's just say there was a nice mix of people sitting around the bar area.  ;D

DR elmore took the Metro one way, and I took it the other way.

...And depending how my day goes, I may end up joining them again sometime tomorrow.  And, who knows?, maybe I'll make another "discovery".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2005, 07:20:32 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - As I said before, antibiotics did indeed cause me some major acid reflux when I was on them last year.  And amoxicillin was the big culprit responsible for my considerable discomfort.

See if your doctor has some freebie samples of Prevacid or something comparable.  I continued taking Prevacid - and watching my diet - for at least two weeks after I had finished my course of antibiotics.  My stomach truly became that sensitive.  -Of course, all the other crap I was dealing with at the same time also contributed to my stomach issues.

I was so totally caught off guard by the acid reflux since I had never had it before.  I've truly never eaten anything up until that time that had upset my stomach.  Then when I pointed out to my doctor that my throat was feeling worse even though I taking the antibiotics for my throat infection, she asked about other symptoms, and realized that I was now dealing with acid reflux and esophagitis.

I have never been that thankful for a medicine before in my life.  I could finally sleep through the night without having to deal with the horrendous cough. -The coughing was the worst.  *And I always make sure to keep a supply of Pepcid AC with me now.

*And I'm still amazed that I never called in sick to Children of Eden during that time.  However, after living through that experience, I'm pretty sure I can make it through anything.

-Hope this was not too graphic...  In any case...

I hope your acid reflux issues are minor and short-lived, Ron.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2005, 07:21:51 PM »

DR Jennifer - Actually, I do like "Dancing With The Stars" too.  I was just lamenting the "quality" of prime-time TV in general.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2005, 07:24:24 PM »

DR MBarnum - I did mention to DR elmore that the CDs arrived...  He Thanks You for your Thanks.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2005, 07:25:57 PM »

Oh, good. Thank you DR JoseP!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2005, 07:29:01 PM »

Enjoyed more BEWITCHED tonight before CSI. Also watched RENO 911! which for some reason I forgot all about last week and missed that episode. Now that they're back on the force, it's much funnier.

So, why were they reinstated. Can someone who's a fan fill me in? Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2005, 07:29:25 PM »

RE: Thomas Hampson - I still remember those "stories" about Mr. Hampson and the rehearsal halls at the Met.  Something along the lines of they had to make sure to cover the mirrors since he would be looking at himself all the time... And/or when asked who he thought was the most beautiful person at the Met, he would point to himself in the mirror.

;)

However....  I've only heard wonderful things about him, and I truly admire his intelligent and passionate musicality.

But still... Ya gotta love those catty opera queens!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »

My friend Jeff close on his new condo today, so in the next week or so, we'll be moving his stuff which is piled into my living room into his new place. We'll also have that godawful pod that we packed up eight months ago to UNPACK again!

And this time, it's summer when we'll be doing this. Oh, well, I guess I can afford to drop a few pounds (how about 10 pounds).

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:17 PM »

DR MBarnum, you never amswered my question about DVD Verdict from this morning?

imbeanie

• What is it, fish?
Lps I'd like to See on CD
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:34 PM »

Four immediately come to mind: the  "ThreePenny Opera" revival with Raul Julia & Ellen Greene; an English language "Die Fledermaus" starring Lily Pons with lyrics by Howard Dietz; the soundtrack to "At Long Last Love" just to hear more Madeline Kahn; and the soundtrack to "The Boy Friend" with Twiggy & Tommy. And I am asked to include the soundtrack to "Electric Dreams" (the last being an addition by my lowbrow partner....).
How you all work me... Robert

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2005, 07:36:20 PM »

ABC was running TOY STORY in high definition, and I'm not so sure that was a good thing. Oh, it was spectacular looking, but with such crisp resolution, it somehow lost a little of the magic, I felt. I stopped watching after the second commercial break and figured I'd take out my anamorphic DVD tomorrow and see how it looks in comparison to what I saw tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2005, 07:38:05 PM »

I'd like the have the soundtrack to AT LONG LAST LOVE myself. Though many of the singers aren't top notch, to get ALL the verses of those delectable Cole Porter songs without having to sit through the movie would be great. I have the LP and used to listen to it all the time. haven't taken it out in ages, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2005, 07:38:39 PM »

And welcome, newbie imbeanie, to our little clan!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 07:39:16 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2005, 07:55:20 PM »

Never mind, DR MBarnum. I finally got DVD Verdict to come up onto the screen, but I HAVE been trying since Monday. Maybe they were slow in getting the page set up this week.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »

Welcome to brand spanking new DR imbeanie!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »

I'm trying to make up my mind about whether or not to try to take in some of the Live 8 concert that will be here in Philly on Saturday.  I am mere blocks away from the Philadelphia Art Museum and Benjamin Franklin Parkway where it's being held.  The thing is, there is only one act that I'm interested in--Dave Matthews Band.  Otherwise, feh!

I'm also not all that crazy about having to shoulder my way through the crowd that is expected (they expect approximately one million people.)  I have the option of making my way to my office--we have a conference room on the 13th floor that will provide a nice view.  I could also opt to get out of the city altogether, as several of my neighbors are doing.  But this is such a rare event that I would like to be a part of it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2005, 08:21:16 PM »

I'm trying to make up my mind about whether or not to try to take in some of the Live 8 concert that will be here in Philly on Saturday.  I am mere blocks away from the Philadelphia Art Museum and Benjamin Franklin Parkway where it's being held.  The thing is, there is only one act that I'm interested in--Dave Matthews Band.  Otherwise, feh!

I'm also not all that crazy about having to shoulder my way through the crowd that is expected (they expect approximately one million people.)  I have the option of making my way to my office--we have a conference room on the 13th floor that will provide a nice view.  I could also opt to get out of the city altogether, as several of my neighbors are doing.  But this is such a rare event that I would like to be a part of it.

AH! DMB!  :)

*After living in Richmond for the past couple of years, and just up the road from UVA, I was involuntarily immersed into the world of DMB.  I'm not a fan-fan, but I do like his/their music.

As for Live 8...  There was an article in today's Washington Post about the man who is responsible for the local arrangements for both Live 8 and The Fourth of July this weekend in Philly.  Back to back (of course).  -And he only had six weeks notice to get Live 8 together - and, apparently, the contract was not even signed until very recently.

However, the man seems to have his stuff together.  In fact, the reporter noted that he was disappointed that there was not more drama going on in the office when he stopped by.

In Philly, Big Cheese With a Lot At Stake
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2005, 08:43:49 PM »

DR MBarnum, you never amswered my question about DVD Verdict from this morning?

I did answer it MattH, you must have missed it.

There server has been down, but it was back up today.

It was down a bit more this afternoon, but seems to be working fine now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up