Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BOHEMIAN  (Read 16245 times)

Danise

Re:I, BOHEMIAN
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 07:21:18 AM »

DR Elmore, I hope you and your Dad have a really nice visit.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2005, 07:22:17 AM »

No, DR Jose, Barbra has released two Christmas albums. The second one was called CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, I believe. Anyway, I have both.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2005, 07:24:14 AM »

Of the three ladies, I am a much bigger fan of Barbra than I am of Peggy or Ella, though I have respect for all of them as accomplished vocal artists.

Of Peggy, "Fever" would have to be the favorite (though I like "He's a Tramp" very much indeed).

For Ella, "A Tisket-a-Tasket,"  I guess.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2005, 07:28:35 AM »

As for Barbra, I think her first decade of albums eclipses just about anything any singer has ever had. They're astounding in their musical variety and virtuosity. There's something memorable and amazing on just about every one of them, but my favorites have to include:

"Starting Here, Starting Now"

"How Does the Wine Taste?"

"He Touched Me"

"Happy Days Are Here Again"

"Supper Time"

"People" (from the Broadway cast recording of FUNNY GIRL, not especially any of her other versions)

"Time and Love"

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2005, 07:31:31 AM »

As Pauline Kael wrote memorably about Streisand around the time of FUNNY LADY (or was it FOR PETE'S SAKE?), "I fell out of like with her" pretty much after STONEY END. But I still maintain those first ten years produced some really exceptional material.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2005, 07:31:51 AM »

Ella:  All of the Rodgers & Hart and Gershwin Songbooks!

I'll second that, especially "I Could Write a Book" from R&H.  Also, the Cole Porter songbook.

Barbra:  "Where's That Rainbow?" - My Name is Barbra, Two is my favorite album of hers.

Peggy:  "Is That All There Is?"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 07:59:43 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2005, 07:33:10 AM »

No, DR Jose, Barbra has released two Christmas albums. The second one was called CHRISTMAS MEMORIES, I believe. Anyway, I have both.

Somehow, I've ended up with 2 copies of the second one.  Any DR out there who'd like to have it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2005, 07:34:31 AM »

I think maybe after I complete ALICE IN WONDERLAND today, I will bite the bullet and put in TROY. Then, on Tuesday night, I'll watch the first little bit of HBO's high definition telecast to do some quick comparisons.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2005, 07:36:24 AM »

Oh, how could I have forgotten to include in my Barbra list "The Music That Makes Me Dance" since we had a lengthy discussion about it here a month or so ago. Definitely that one belongs on the list with the others above.

Danise

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2005, 07:48:57 AM »

I don't really care for any of those ladies.  In fact, I don't think I own one album, CD of any of them.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2005, 07:53:41 AM »

To each his (her) own!  :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2005, 08:08:21 AM »

...you've spouted Kerouac and Ferlinghetti and Ginsberg...
I am well known for my clay-throwing, and particularly for my Kerouac, Ferlinghetti and Ginsberg teapots.  Although getting a handle on Ginsberg took a bit of doing, at first.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2005, 08:19:05 AM »

Giving a cat a tonic should produce the obvious results.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2005, 08:20:29 AM »

As for Barbra, I think her first decade of albums eclipses just about anything any singer has ever had. They're astounding in their musical variety and virtuosity.

Could NOT agree more!  I think her most fantastic recording is "Just In Time," arranged by Leonard Bernstein (on Simply Streisand).

I'm also a HUGE Ella fan.  Specifically of the Songbook Series.  I listen to her Rodgers & Hart discs about once a week or so.  

Don't know as much Peggy as I should.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2005, 08:53:45 AM »

I guess DRDANISE and I should form a non-recording owners of specific singers mentioned here at HHW club.

DRs ELMORE and CP - the tale is still told of Miss Barbra Streisand in concert at the newly opened Clowes Hall (where we had the MidWest HHW gathering) - the curtain had barely closed before Miss Streisand began volubly taking her conductor to task for several tempii during the performance.  The musicians fled the stage so quickly, many music stands were turned over, and much sheet music was left behind.

The first few rows were privy to much of her dissatisfaction - and the conductor was not able to say one word....or get a word in with a shoehorn so to speak.

Her quest for perfection has been long and ongoing.  And she spares no one, not even herself.  I don't like to listen to her, never did, but she made a great success with only talent to back it up - and I respect her for her accomplishments.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2005, 08:55:55 AM »

Forgot to say thanks for the LP cover suggestion yesterday, MR BK.  

I agree Carol has some scary pictures out there....but I think I will go in a different direction.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2005, 09:08:10 AM »

I guess DRDANISE and I should form a non-recording owners of specific singers mentioned here at HHW club.

DRs ELMORE and CP - the tale is still told of Miss Barbra Streisand in concert at the newly opened Clowes Hall (where we had the MidWest HHW gathering) - the curtain had barely closed before Miss Streisand began volubly taking her conductor to task for several tempii during the performance.  The musicians fled the stage so quickly, many music stands were turned over, and much sheet music was left behind.

The first few rows were privy to much of her dissatisfaction - and the conductor was not able to say one word....or get a word in with a shoehorn so to speak.

Her quest for perfection has been long and ongoing.  And she spares no one, not even herself.  I don't like to listen to her, never did, but she made a great success with only talent to back it up - and I respect her for her accomplishments.

DRJRand54, the stories about her rehearsals for the first tour in the early 90s are rife with her impossibility to work with others.  She must have the same genetic pool as a Maestro I worked with in 2001.

I don't think it's a quest for perfection, rather a total control-freak attitude; everything she does smacks of an I'm-not-an-ugly-nebbish-anymore-am-I-so-no-one-walks-over-me attitude.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2005, 09:32:50 AM »

My most "unusual" Babs 45rpm disc is " He Could Show Me" by Ford and Cryer  bw "Our Corner Of The Night".  Any DRs know more about these tracks?
I also have Babs singing (with Larry Bleidon) "Wait Till You're Sixty-Five" That may not be all the common either. Babs also does backing la las etc to a Jack Nicholson track cut from "Clear Day" I think that one is fairly well known though.

I'm not really a great Babs fan. But then I'm not a great Judy or Liza fan either!! Missed out on that gene I guess.

Any more talk like that, and you
may be required to give back the microwave!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2005, 10:18:29 AM »

Sorry, but I love Streisand.  I either have, or have had, almost every album / CD that she has made (with one or two exceptions).  THE WAY WE WERE and WHAT'S UP DOC? remain two of my favorite all-time films.

Favorite Streisand:

PEOPLE
THE MUSIC THAT MAKES MY DANCE
STONEY END
THE WAY WE WERE
GUILTY
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Peggy Lee:

FEVER
LOVER
IS THAT ALL THERE IS?

Ella:

I like the MACK THE KNIFE recording, although I have read several times that the "forgetting the words" section was carefully rehearsed.
BEWICHED, BOTHERED, AND BEWILDERED
BUT NOT FOR ME
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2005, 11:02:41 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I FINALLY had the sleep I've been waiting two weeks to have.  Gloriously glorious - I awoke at ten-thirty.  Heaven.

Pogue, et al: You'll notice that my Streisand choices are all from her early years.  She was great then.

Now, may I just say, eleven o'clock and I'm the only one in the jernt?  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2005, 11:11:55 AM »

Maybe everyone is off with the cows, in which case, we will have to wait for them to all come home.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2005, 11:30:39 AM »

I'll say that I absolutely love all three ladies' works.

I have the collected songbooks by Ms. Fitzgerald and like them very much, but I am partial to the Cole Porter songbooks.

Peggy Lee never really did any wrong in all her years of recordings...but my personal favorite is "Is That All There Is."  (She did a fantastic "Two for the Road" that I haven't got on CD or LP).

As for Streisand, she is in a class by herself.  I, personally, would be loath to criticize her choices when she has brought me so much pleasure for more than 40 years.  

My favorites have all been named above.  I am partial to "He Touched Me" and "Where or When" and her duet with herself on "One Less Bell to Answer/A House Is Not A Home".

And she does a stunning "You're the Top" in "What's Up, Doc," available on the Streisand boxed set.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:32:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2005, 11:46:41 AM »

The madness continues!

http://www.totallytruethings.com/articles/scientology1.htm

I lost part of the sentence.  Hmmm . . .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:59:08 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2005, 11:59:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Ooops... Lunch break is over already...

It's going well. (Ah, a Sweeney Todd reference.

Back to work/play/rehearsal.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2005, 12:13:29 PM »

Oy and vey.  Still on page two.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »

I love Ella and Louis doing I Loves You Porgy

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2005, 12:14:14 PM »

The madness continues!

http://www.totallytruethings.com/articles/scientology1.htm

I lost part of the sentence.  Hmmm . . .

ROTFLMAO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2005, 12:15:24 PM »

Any more talk like that, and you
may be required to give back the microwave!

You both got microwaves??  I only got a toaster. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »

Topic of the Day:

Barbara Streisand - "The Way He Makes Me Feel" from "Yentl", and that crazy version of "Jingle Bells" from the first (and only?) Christmas album.

Her second Christmas album called "Christmas Memories" was released in 2001.  It included "I Remember" by Sondheim but he wrote a verse to make it more "Christmassy" ... but the song-proper doesn't make sense as a Chrismas song.  He didn't change any of the original lyrics:

I REMEMBER
As recorded by Barbra Streisand

I awake on a chilly Christmas morning,
Watch the choir singing carols on TV
I gaze out through my window at a dozen other windows
Then I plug in my artificial tree,
And like a dream I begin to remember
Every Christmas I used to know
A thousand miles away,
A million years ago

I remember sky,
It was blue as ink
Or at least I think
I remember sky

I remember snow,
Soft as feathers,
Sharp as thumbtacks,
Coming down like lint,
And it made you squint
When the wind would blow

And ice, like vinyl,
On the streets,
Cold as silver,
White as sheets
Rain like string and changing things like leaves

I remember leaves,
Green as spearmint,
Crisp as paper
I remember trees,
Bare as coat-racks,
Spread like broken umbrellas

And parks and bridges,
Ponds and zoos,
Ruddy faces,
Muddy shoes.
Light and noise and bees and boys and days

I remember days,
Or at least I try.
But as years go by
They’re a sort of haze.
And the bluest ink
Isn’t really sky,
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

I love the new verse, but that isn't a Christmas song at all.  And it doesn't seem to be the right sentiment at all for the season.  "All Those Christmas Cliches" by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty is a perfect song for the season.  And I love the Lainie Kazan recording.  I also have a recording by Christiane Noll, but I think she's much too young to sing it.  And she playes up the humor too much...makes it too cutesy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »

Jrand54, I wonder how many composers find  Streisand's versions of their songs perfection.  Her idea of perfection may not be someone else.  The test for me is I don't like most of her renditions of the classic American songbook.  As Rosemary Clooney once said of a singer showing off her instrument with lots of swoops and swirls and adornments on the original melody, "I just wish she'd light somewhere."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up