Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BOHEMIAN  (Read 17419 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I, BOHEMIAN
« on: July 02, 2005, 11:59:31 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've spouted Kerouac and Ferlinghetti and Ginsberg, and now it is time for you to post until the Bohemian cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:59:35 PM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:I, BOHEMIAN
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 12:04:19 AM »

First post huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:05:12 AM »

I have just submitted my answer for the Unseemly Trivia Contest this week.  After being flummoxed for two weeks in a row, maybe I have this one!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 08:41:52 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:06:45 AM »

And Mr BK, I hate to throw water on your firecrackers, but the three ladies you mention are not singers I go out of my way to listen to, search for, or even....well I may own one Peggy Lee CD - and a couple of used Streisand LP's.

But the only way to have made the TOD less appealing and applicable to me is if you had included Bernadette Peters in the mix...sorry DRGEORGE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 12:07:26 AM »

Be sure to ask your movie savvy - savant holiday hosts to spill all they know on Miss Allison Hayes!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 12:08:20 AM »

DRJOEY is up LATE.

I think a trip to NYC would be great for you!

DRJOSE - sending you good MD vibes for today!  Remember DEVO and crack that whip!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:08:45 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:43 AM »

My work here is done.

Time for to go to bed.  Later - my take on the DORIS DAY SHOW box set!

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:10:02 AM »

TOTD:
Babs: Don't Like Goodbyes/How Does The Wine Taste
Ella: Swinging Shepherd Blues/Manhatten
Peggy: Pieces of Dreams/Johnny Guitar
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:10:08 AM »

And Mr BK, I hate to throw water on your firecrackers, but the three ladies you mention are not singers I go out of my way to listen to, search for, or even....well I may own one Peggy Lee CD - and a couple of used Streisand LP's.

But the only way to have made the TOD less appealing and applicable to me is if you had included Bernadette Peters in the mix...sorry DRGEORGE.

I guess there's just no accounting for taste. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: CATATONIC!

Babs: Have I Stayed Too Long At The Fair, Autumn, I'm All Smiles, He Touched Me, People

Peggy Lee: Is That All There Is, He's a Tramp, Johnny Guitar

Ella: I'm thinking on it.

George

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 12:16:39 AM »

And speaking of Babs...I was going to post this last night (less than a half hour ago), but I wasn't finished typing what I wanted to say, so I saved it and waited for the new day (today).  Smart of me, wasn't it?? ;)

I just watched most of the DVD of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever."  I say "most of" because I was just going to spot check spots (I'd never seen it in widescreen before) but I got caught up and watched it from about 30 minutes in until the end.  I think it's a fun movie...totally implausible (as far as I know) but fun.  It was funny to see Jack Nicholson as her ex-step-brother.  I always forget that he was in it.

Anyway, there's something that I've always wondered about.  Daisy (Barbra's character) said that she and Marc Chabot (Yves Montand) would be married in 2038...68 years from 1970, when the movie was made.  Now Barbra was born in 1942 (Yves died in 1991) and if they're married in 2038, let's assume that she's at least 20 years old.  That means Daisy would be dead before 2018, when she (and Barbara) would only be 76 years old.  That's only 13 years from now.  Did people in 1970 think that 76 years was a long life for a woman?  Yves was born in 1921 so there was not much chance that his character would still be alive, but couldn't Daisy still be kicking around?  But then it's quite possible that she might die in an accident or something not natural.  Anyway, I was just wondering.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »

As for songs:

Babs:  "Happy Days Are Here Again" with Judy singing "Get Happy," "A Piece of Sky" from Yentl, "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" or it is "Enough Is Enough (No More Tears)?" with Donna Summer, "The Main Event" (yes, I really love this song...sue me! ;D)

Peggy:  "Is That All There Is?" and "Fever"

Ella:  "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," "Mack the Knife" and my absolute favorite song of hers is when she does "How High the Moon" on her live album recorded in Berlin.  It's more than seven minutes long with a lot of scatting.  According to the liner notes, "This was the first time Ella sang 'Mack the Knife,' and not knowing the lyrics too well she substituted her own, for what may well have been an improvement on the original."  I don't know about that, but she just takes off and it's fantastic! ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 12:56:13 AM »

Trivia: The Ella in Berlin "Mack the Knife" (1960) was issued as a single and made the top 40 charts in the USA and in Oz. Those were the days when charts really had variety.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 01:05:59 AM »

I never knew that, Tomovoz.  I have it on CD as an import from Japan.  They reproduced the album cover (front and back) and made a cardboard mini-record album sleeve instead of a regular plastic jewel case.  It's pretty cute!  I also have the Ella/Louis Armstrong "Porgy and Bess" in the same way.  I remember seeing a whole bunch of these reproduced jazz mini-albums at Tower Records quite a few years ago.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 01:10:30 AM »

My most "unusual" Babs 45rpm disc is " He Could Show Me" by Ford and Cryer  bw "Our Corner Of The Night".  Any DRs know more about these tracks?
I also have Babs singing (with Larry Bleidon) "Wait Till You're Sixty-Five" That may not be all the common either. Babs also does backing la las etc to a Jack Nicholson track cut from "Clear Day" I think that one is fairly well known though.

I'm not really a great Babs fan. But then I'm not a great Judy or Liza fan either!! Missed out on that gene I guess.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 01:12:02 AM »

I also have the same recording in another CD issue called "The Complete Ella in Berlin" with four extra tracks that were recorded at that concert, but never released.  "That Old Black Magic," "Our Love Is Here to Stay," "Love for Sale" and "Just One of Those Things."  

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 01:12:36 AM »

I never knew that, Tomovoz.
Ah. So Young! (a Zabriski point reference - obscure!)
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2005, 01:14:43 AM »

My most "unusual" Babs 45rpm disc is " He Could Show Me" by Ford and Cryer  bw "Our Corner Of The Night".  Any DRs know more about these tracks?
I also have Babs singing (with Larry Bleidon) "Wait Till You're Sixty-Five" That may not be all the common either. Babs also does backing la las etc to a Jack Nicholson track cut from "Clear Day" I think that one is fairly well known though.

I don't know about the Ford and Cryer song(s), but I have the "Wait till You're Sixty-Five" 45.  I added it to one of my compilation CDs.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:15:13 AM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2005, 04:17:24 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.  And goodnight.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 04:40:38 AM »

Good morning, all, and especially you, DRTomovoz!  Well, I'm determined to plow through "He's A Genius," the opening number in DOTD, today.  With my luck, I'll get a call before noon from my Father telling me he's in Newark, and that will alter my schedule.  We'll see.

Yes, AMELIE was quite cute, but I prefer to think of it as Gallic whimsy.  I can't imagine any Hollywood studio ever greenlighting such a screenplay, but I also can't think of any American stars with the charm to make something so light into something so moving

TOD:
Barbra:  "He Touched Me," "I've Got No Strings," "Stoney End," "If You Could Read My Mind," "You Don't Bring Me Roses"
Peggy Lee:  "Feeling Too Good Today Blues" (when will MIRRORS be released?), "Fever," "Lover"
Ella:  All of the Rodgers & Hart and Gershwin Songbooks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2005, 04:43:46 AM »

Last night, bk wrote:

" I've been watching the about-to-be-released DVD of season's one and two of Moonlighting."

It's old news, bk. It was released a month or two ago. It was in release long enough ago for me to be able to buy a used copy of it two weeks after its official release, have it delivered by Media Mail, and be sitting on the shelf for a couple of weeks waiting to be watched.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2005, 05:21:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

...And I'm up since I dared not to hit the snooze button this morning.  That was a little too tempting, and who knows what time I would have ended up getting out of bed.   So...

I'm up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »

Topic of the Day:

Barbara Streisand - "The Way He Makes Me Feel" from "Yentl", and that crazy version of "Jingle Bells" from the first (and only?) Christmas album.

Peggy Lee - "Fever",  "He's A Tramp"  (I should know more, but I don't... right now)

Ella Fitzgerald - "Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead", "Imagine My Frustration" (a great Duke Ellington number which she recorded in studio with Duke Ellington and his orchestra; however, my favorite recording is the live one from "The Concert Years" set - truly electric!).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2005, 05:31:58 AM »

DR George - I love that Ella Fitzgerald recording of "Mack the Knife" too.  Especially where she goes up on the words - and admits it!  Bogart's in Richmond still has that on their juke box - and I've many a quarter in over the years to hear it there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2005, 05:37:10 AM »

Well...  I think that's it for now...

We're having a Bagel Brunch from 9-11 in the first floor lounge.  And then rehearsal at 11:00.  And then...

I'm gonna go ahead and hit the showers before heading to the brunch (a.k.a. free breakfast).

-While walking around the dorm last night looking for the computer center, I came across the Company Kitchen - actually two of them - as well as a nice Grand Piano in the first floor lounge.  Actually, it seems that all the lounges here have grand pianos in them - at all the first floor ones.  I noticed - and heard - them while walking around the campus last night.

...And then I'm planning on getting over to the rehearsal space early just to get my fingers warmed up - and actually play some of this music.  *Which is pretty neat stuff.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2005, 05:42:05 AM »

Oh, and I slept surprisingly well last night considering I was in a "new" bed.  And once I got into bed, I also realized that it's one of those "dorm twins" - slightly smaller than a regular twin, not so long, not so wide.  But, again, I slept rather well.

*Boy, are those couple of sentences ripe for the picking, if you get my drift. -And I know some of you do!

;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 05:43:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2005, 06:42:33 AM »

Peggy Lee...Why Don't You Do Right?

Ella Fitzgerald...Cole Porter's I Am In Love

I own no Streisand recordings at all.  While I think she had a lovely voice in the beginning of her career, she now cannot sing anything straight with a simple melodic line.  It's become all about showing off the instrument.  The singer has become more important than the song and subsequently no longer serves the song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2005, 06:49:19 AM »

Oh, and I slept surprisingly well last night considering I was in a "new" bed.

Surely you've never had that problem before?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2005, 06:50:30 AM »

I own no Streisand recordings at all.  While I think she had a lovely voice in the beginning of her career, she now cannot sing anything straight with a simple melodic line.  It's become all about showing off the instrument.  The singer has become more important than the song and subsequently no longer serves the song.

DRPogue, Streisand's the epitome of ego over art now in almost everything she does.

Danise

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2005, 07:15:30 AM »

Morning all!

I had a lovely day yesterday.  I met my friend for lunch at the Cracker Barrel and we had a ball dishing the dish about work.  I’m sure that many ears were burning.  

We both ordered the Chicken Fiesta Salad and took our time eating so we could catch up on each others lives.   Afterwards, we went outside to the porch and sat in a couple of the rocking chairs to talk some more and let our lunch digest.  It poured down rain while we were inside and on and off all the rest of the day.

To soon, we had to say our farewells and I stopped off at the grocery store to get the weekly shopping done.  

I got home, put everything away and sat down to watch some TV when it started pouring down rain again.  That made the satellite go out—ye olde “Searching for signal”.   I was full and sleepy and promptly fell asleep in my chair.    I woke about an hour later feeling totally rested and peaceful.  

I did a little searching for “Chitty” tickets.  I found one on the left side of the stage in the front row for the eight o'clock show on October 1st.   While that would be GREAT for my eyesight, I don’t know if I want to be THAT near the stage.

I found out that the car goes out over the center of the audience so the center might not be the place to be either.  

I’ll make a decision and buy the ticket tonight.  

DR TomovOz.  MeatLoaf.   ;D

Speaking of MeatLoaf, has anyone heard the new DR. Pepper commercial?  I almost broke my neck when I whipped it around because I heard, “I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” the other night.  It’s really cute.  The guy buys the girl some tampons, does laundry, etc but when she tries to take his Dr. Pepper, he runs down the street with it.  Anyway, I thought it cute.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 07:17:14 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up