Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BOHEMIAN  (Read 17524 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:I, BOHEMIAN
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »

And one for Mahler!  (it's about time ::))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2005, 01:03:39 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the word.  But I must leave, also.  I'm taking my niece to today's Seattle Storm women's basketball game.  The game doesn't start until 6:00 p.m. but she NEEDS to be there before 4:00!  The first 3,000 or so get a free towel...and she must have that towel.  Whatever.  Anyway, it should be a good game.  I actually enjoy going.  So, be back later!

Have a Happy 3rd!  Today is the birthday of David Shire (1937), Betty Buckley (1947), Audra McDonald (1970), Patrick Wilson (1972) and Alexander Gemingnani (1979)...among others.  Happy Birthday to them! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »

Jrand54, I wonder how many composers find  Streisand's versions of their songs perfection.  Her idea of perfection may not be someone else.  The test for me is I don't like most of her renditions of the classic American songbook.  As Rosemary Clooney once said of a singer showing off her instrument with lots of swoops and swirls and adornments on the original melody, "I just wish she'd light somewhere."

In Paris, in the 1850s, Adelina Patti sang for Rossini his aria "Una voce poco fa" from THE BARBER OF SEVILLE.  She loaded it up with lots of decorations and new notes.  When she finished, he said to her, "Very pretty.  Who wrote it?"

As Rodgers & Hart said, I like to recognize the tune.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:22:21 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2005, 01:25:22 PM »

Stresiand can swoop, swirl, and light on my CD player any time she wishes. I know very, very few singers of ANY merit who didn't do personal interpretations of songs once they have them mastered. And Streisand rarely changed lyrics (unless the original lyricist did her the favor of adding lyrics to a song for her) unlike Sinatra, for instance.

Now, I've gone on record as abhoring much of what she did to classic Broadway standards in BACK TO BROADWAY, her second Broadway album, and I'm sorry she didn't trust the material and felt it needed "noodling" to make it sound more impressive. And I think she must have heard some of the criticism because her movie album contained less of that interpretive irritation.

Still, she still sells millions of CDs every time she releases a new one, so someone must like what she's doing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:45:35 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2005, 01:30:39 PM »

I'll say one thing for TROY. It had a first rate cast of male actors (the women were forgettable histrionically though some were lovely to look at). But piared with pretty boy Brad Pitt are the likes of Peter O'Toole, Brian Cox, Sean Bean, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana, and the almost three hours were worth sitting through to see some fine acting overcoming a fairly pedestrian script.

Most annoying to me was that wailing voice on the soundtrack that just wouldn't stop. Oh, how I longed to stuff a handkerchief into the mouth of that singer to silence her forever. On the other hand, I greatly appreciated the use of drums/percussion during the Achilles-Hector battle. Much more suspenseful than a vocal or full instrumental music at that moment.

And Eric Bana can strip his armor off in my tent whenever he wishes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:37:10 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2005, 01:33:52 PM »

When it finished, I popped in the DVD of BENT, but ten minutes into it, I didn't feel like watching another tragedy, so I halted it and started up on the DVR THE INNOCENTS. I will continue with it when I go back downstairs.

And it's in glorious Cinemascope, so I'm getting to see Jack Clayton's masterful compositions. I've only watched a few minutes, but it's already SO impressive to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »

I was happy to note than a thunderstorm passed us by today, at least so far. Around 1 p.m., it got very dark here, but I think that threat is over for the moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2005, 02:02:22 PM »

I've been sitting outside re-proofing the galley.  Finally had to come in, it's so bloody hot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

Perhaps now would be a good time to make some of my  low-cal hot dogs and watch a movie or four.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2005, 02:03:17 PM »

I feel so rested after my lovely and necessary sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2005, 02:03:41 PM »

That said, where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was the 4th of July weekend or something.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2005, 02:04:54 PM »

I had fried chicken today since it is cooler here today than it's been for a week, if you call 83 cool. It's like heaven compared to the inferno we've had lately.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2005, 02:05:34 PM »

Well, I'm here but not for long. Deborah Kerr and her charges await my return!  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2005, 03:07:41 PM »

DR ELMORE and CP - your comments on Ms. Striesand RE:my comments, have been noted.  And there is a LOT of truth in what you both write.

DR CP - put me firmly in Rosemary Clooney's camp.  Rosemary, Doris, Betty Hutton, and all those great band singers and vocalists in the 1950's didn't feel the need to "personalize" a song by changing the rhythm or notes  -  but nonetheless they made songs "theirs" with their distinctive voices and phrasing...  

Doris Day in particular, I think, needs to be listened to more today - I think she is dismissed because she is "movie star" - but she can sing like nobody else.  Rosemary Clooney is also in a class by herself.  And even the "second rung" of 50's ladies like Giselle McKenzie, Polly Bergen, and Jane Morgan still sound contemporary and fresh.

I've said before - and I'll say it again - years ago, when I was nine, I was one of the kids in a "Starlight Musicals" production of GYPSY - a traveling tab version that traversed the Midwest in the summer....local talent was picked up for the smaller parts, including the kids.

Giselle McKenzie was Rose - and I have NEVER heard anyone sing "Everything's Coming Up Roses" and "Rose's Turn" with more power or real emotion.  She had the audience in the palm of her hand - and could get a laugh with a look or bat of her eyes.  And she was great to all of us local people, too.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2005, 03:10:33 PM »

DR ELMORE and CP - your comments on Ms. Striesand RE:my comments, have been noted.  And there is a LOT of truth in what you both write.

DR CP - put me firmly in Rosemary Clooney's camp.  Rosemary, Doris, Betty Hutton, and all those great band singers and vocalists in the 1950's didn't feel the need to "personalize" a song by changing the rhythm or notes  -  but nonetheless they made songs "theirs" with their distinctive voices and phrasing...  

Doris Day in particular, I think, needs to be listened to more today - I think she is dismissed because she is "movie star" - but she can sing like nobody else.  Rosemary Clooney is also in a class by herself.  And even the "second rung" of 50's ladies like Giselle McKenzie, Polly Bergen, and Jane Morgan still sound contemporary and fresh.

I've said before - and I'll say it again - years ago, when I was nine, I was one of the kids in a "Starlight Musicals" production of GYPSY - a traveling tab version that traversed the Midwest in the summer....local talent was picked up for the smaller parts, including the kids.

Giselle McKenzie was Rose - and I have NEVER heard anyone sing "Everything's Coming Up Roses" and "Rose's Turn" with more power or real emotion.  She had the audience in the palm of her hand - and could get a laugh with a look or bat of her eyes.  And she was great to all of us local people, too.  

DRJRand54, great story about Giselle McKenzie; I always loved her on tv, even if I have a low opinion about the overall standards of the Lawrence Welk show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2005, 03:14:33 PM »

The Doris Day Show - the First Season, Box Set.

It looks great!  Colors are bright and the mono sound is crisp and easy to hear.

There are two interviews - James Hampton who played the farm hand Leroy, and Phillip Brown who played the older son Billy.  The interviews are not particularly insightful, but the do reaffirm Doris' reputation as a complete professional and  faithful friend and employer.  

The shows themselves suffer from an alarming sameness - and it is mentioned that the producers and writers and Doris herself soon realized trapping her character on a farm with two kids was NOT the way to go.  There is a "preview" of the second season with Doris interviewing for a job at Today's People magazine and meeting Myrna (Rose Marie) and her new boss (McClean Stevenson) - and the familiar second season opener with Doris in her yellow hat and red Dodge Dart convertible (some Chrysler product, I can't quite identify it).

The sets are beautiful, Doris is beautiful and so damn sincere - that even if you don't like the first season, it's worth having because eventually you end up liking the work and the people involved.

I recommend it highly and without reservation for Day fans, and with only a slight caveat for those might be interested but are on the fence.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2005, 03:16:20 PM »

Hmmm.....Giselle was on Jack Benny and Your Hit Parade, but I think she escaped the indignity of the terror of North Dakota, DRELMORE.

She was a great gal - and always dressed to the teeth with jewels and furs even in Indiana in August!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »

Mr BK - I am assuming that The Doris Day Show - a one-camera show - was filmed in 35mm.  Were the one-camera shows you did filmed that way?

What I mean to ask is, when a camera is turning is there a red light flashing somewhere on the instrument.  In the first episode broadcast (but not the first one filmed) - a flashing red light is visible in the window over Doris' shoulder for one entire shot as cut into the scene - could this be on the camera?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »

Hmmm.....Giselle was on Jack Benny and Your Hit Parade, but I think she escaped the indignity of the terror of North Dakota, DRELMORE.

She was a great gal - and always dressed to the teeth with jewels and furs even in Indiana in August!

Well, I feel dumb!  Why did I think she was on Lawrence Welk for a while?  My memories of 1950s tv are very vague now.  My family watched both shows, and I have a very vague memory of Marian Marlowe on Arthur Godfrey, but nothing's registering clearly.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2005, 03:34:15 PM »

Count me out of The DD appreciation league. The singles for the 1960's is the exception. I can not listen to a whole album by her - nor of Petula Clark.
I could listen to any of Ella's songbooks any time. Some of the greatest recordings of the 2OthC.

I've recently been "rediscovering" the joy of listening to Joni James and Kay Starr.

Peggy Lee - never found a song I did not love her singing.

Rosemary C. Wonderful - even her delightful pop ditties of the 50s like "Where Will the Dimple Be".
I don't know much about Ms McKenzie - except for "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 03:44:15 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2005, 03:37:09 PM »

DR ELMORE -what I remember MOST about Arthur Godfrey are those awful Hawaiian shirts and his terrible and numerous commercials for Lipton Tea.

DR TOMovOZ - it might just be time to send you some Giselle music...with some Polly Bergen thrown in.  Can you take it?

Joni James - yes!

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »

Of course my favourite female singers of all time are Ella, Peggy and Dusty.

I guess there are some who will say Celine, Whitney and Mariah.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2005, 03:41:03 PM »

Polly Bergen - I have a few Jack. She had a top 40 record here in 1959 with "Come Prima". I was lucky enough to see here in "Follies". Loved her performance in TV's Winds Of War" too.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »

Coincidence:  The radio is playing Peggy Lee's "Fever" right now.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2005, 03:45:24 PM »

First Peggy song I ever remember being aware of was "Manana".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2005, 03:46:08 PM »

I should also throw in more than a few votes and notes for the wonderful Jo Stafford.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2005, 03:46:54 PM »

For Jo my first memories would be "You Belong To Me" and "Shrimp Boats".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 03:47:21 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2005, 03:56:02 PM »

Jrand, one camera shows were shot in 35mm, as were some three camera film shows, such as Lucy, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley.  Don't know what the red light is - there shouldn't be any visible lights on a 35mm camera.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »

Had yummillicious hot dogs, and now will cut up some fruit.  Still watching Moonlighting, but will put on a movie very shortly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2005, 03:57:45 PM »

For Jo my first memories would be "You Belong To Me" and "Shrimp Boats".

Oh my - before I was in school - I would lie on the floor in front of the radio and wait for these songs....

"....see the pyramids along the Nile....."  and when she sang it, I could see them!  ;D  Did Jo sing Jumbalaya as well...or was that someone else?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up