Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY OF THE TROPICS  (Read 39273 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:SALLY OF THE TROPICS
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2003, 08:26:09 AM »

The "standards" in FUNNY LADY (ie: songs not by Kander & Ebb) were not songs that Fanny sang (or if she did they were not songs she was associated with) but were all songs where Billy Rose (the 3rd Mr. Brice in real life, 2nd per the films and play) had credit as co-writter.  This usually meant that he told the actual songwritters that he wouldn't use the song in one of his shows without credit (Jolson did this too).

Meanwhile I wonder how many DRs know that Babs was the third choice for the original Broadway production after Mary Martin and Anne Bancroft turned it down.  And a performer who so desperately wanted the role that she recorded an LP of Brice songs as an audition was Kaye Ballard.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2003, 08:27:10 AM »

Addressing something that was brought uyp last night. I haven't seen the Hugh Jackman OKLAHOMA! and haven't seriously considered buying it (supposedly going to be shown on PBS during Thanksgiving week). I really am about OKLAHOMA-ed out. A professional group did it here about 5 or 6 years ago with Rue McClanahan as Aunt Eller. Then three years later, the semi-professional summer theater here in town did it with local talent. And this video version coming on the heels of the less than successful Broadway mounting of that London revival. So, I thouht, that's all, brother. No more OKLAHOMA.

Yesterday, my friend who is the costume designer for a group that I did SCROOGE and THE SOUND OF MUSIC with told me that group's first choice for a spring musical is probably going to be OKLAHOMA. Now, I've never done Will Parker in the show, and I'd love to try for it (the mustache will have to go), but I REALLY am tired of this show.

Is it possible to declare a moratorium on OKLAHOMA?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 08:27:24 AM »

Hey!  Watch who you are calling a old lady, bub!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2003, 08:34:31 AM »

Love that Doris! When is the Motion Picture Academy going to wake up, smell the coffee (or milk shake in her case), and award her an honorary Oscar for her dazzling versatility in a host of musicals, comedies, and dramas in a twenty-year film career?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2003, 08:35:19 AM »

Matt H said “Robert Evans is such an egotistical boor that I couldn't stomach KID NOTORIOUS either.”

We watched the DVD, “The Kid Stays in the Picture” last night—a documentary based on the autobiography of ex-Paramount Studio head Robert Evans.  Visually, the film is a remarkable amalgam of dream-like editing and film-noir-type narration.  Together, the combination is so infectious you can’t help but be sucked into his story.

The way Evans narrates the film is entertaining though, at times, I wanted to grab him by his celluloid collar and make him enunciate his words more clearly.  The handling of still pictures (remember it’s a documentary) was masterful, because the foreground parts of the pictures were made to seem to float in a three-dimensional way above the backgrounds, making them far more alive and interesting than they could have been.

One evening last year, while traveling, we saw Robert Evans signing copies of his autobiography.  I didn’t know who he was so I picked up the book.  “Soon to be a major motion picture” was highlighted on the dust jacket.  It seemed interesting enough so we added the upcoming film to our NetFlix queue when we got home.  

In his heyday, I never knew who Evans was—but I certainly paid to see “his” films: Rosemary's Baby, Love Story, The Godfather, and Chinatown, to name a few.  And to hear him tell it, they were HIS films.  Somehow he manages to weave enough self-deprecating words into the narration to make you like him AND believe him.

Well as Evans says in the opening sequence: “"Every story has three sides: Your side, my side and the truth."  He may be an “egotistical boor” as Matt says but “The Kid Stays in the Picture” provides some insights into “his side” of the story.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2003, 08:36:39 AM »

JMK:  My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Ethel.

I mentioned last night, but I would like to acknowledge again, that my new and improved photo is thanks to the efforts of DR MattH.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2003, 08:37:29 AM »

DR JMK - not sure if this is the same "bootleg", Natalie is on only one work track "Together Wherever We Go" -and even though I bid on the CD when it was offered, I never won.    Condolences on your loss of Ethel.....  :'(

DR WEL - I saw that Kaye Ballard LP when I was searching for Fanny Cd's.  I like to listen to the score of Funny Girl - but I don't like the movie much....moments here and there, but what was it Pauline Kael called it (I think it was her) - "...a gilded broccoli..."  And William Wyler said that any shortcomings should be excused because after all...."it is the first movie Barbra Streisand ever directed...."

I think I mentioned the Academy oversight here once, MATT, and Mr BK said that they (and others) had approached Doris about appearing and/or receiving such recognition, and that she had firmly turned them down....she is not interested.  

« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 08:40:27 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2003, 08:39:05 AM »

Hey!  I read the notes!  And I still don't know what the frell the title of today's posts means!

I once walked through a sally port!  

And I have sallied forth, on occasion.

But never in the tropics.

JRand53:  What's all this fuss from people with zero posts?

Bad Casting drill:  

Fanny:  Janeane Garofalo
Nick:  Pauly Shore
Flo Ziegfeld: "Joey Pants" (Joe Pantoliano)
Eddie: Jason Alexander
Mrs. Brice: Doris Roberts (at least one cast member needs to be interesting and fun).
Georgia: Kelly Ripa

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2003, 08:42:12 AM »

I agree with much of what you say about Evans' professional expertise, Jane, but THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE is pretty white-washed if you read other people's perceptions of Robert Evans. His drug use was much more pronounced than he makes it out to be, and if you saw him accept his Golden Globe for Best Drama Film for CHINATOWN, you'd know what I mean by ego. I'm surprised anyone else could fit on that stage with his big-headed acceptance speech that night (barely glimpsed in THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE). I'm fully convinced his obnoxious speech helped cost CHINATOWN the Best Picture Oscar that year (though I think GODFATHER II is an unquestionale masterpiece that might have won anyway.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2003, 08:42:51 AM »

DR RON - yea!  How could you be a member and read and NOT want to post?

DR TCB - you never did tell us how you got your ascot!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 08:44:47 AM »

Love that Doris! When is the Motion Picture Academy going to wake up, smell the coffee (or milk shake in her case), and award her an honorary Oscar for her dazzling versatility in a host of musicals, comedies, and dramas in a twenty-year film career?

She must either be diagnosed with an inoperable fatal disease or she must be considered "past it" before they drag her out and give her the honor they so easily bestow in acting categories, on less worthy individuals, annually

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2003, 08:48:54 AM »

I can't believe she wouldn't accept the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her work with animal rights, and she did accept the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement from the Golden Globe folks (Hollywood Foreign Press) some years ago. Maybe that experience was so unpleasant that she is loathe to go through it again, but it's just not RIGHT that she not have an Oscar when, as DR Ron said, others far less worthy have one (or two).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2003, 08:50:46 AM »

MATT H - I remember when she was on the Golden Globes.  She looked so good and she said something like:  "I had forgotten what it was like....I miss this..." or something like that.

She's also a pretty determined Midwestern girl, so if she says no....she means it.  We can just hope she will change her mind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2003, 08:58:22 AM »

Meanwhile I wonder how many DRs know that Babs was the third choice for the original Broadway production after Mary Martin and Anne Bancroft turned it down.

And also Carol Burnett, making Streisand fourth choice, at least.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2003, 09:04:27 AM »

JMK:  I am truly sorry about Ethel.  When DRMusicGuy and I lost Mazal last June, that was the first time in almost 30 years of marriage that we were dogless.  It's been a rough road.  We were just waiting for the right dog to enter our lives (whether or not I thought I was ready), and Sugar walked in.  The right dog will enter your lives too when the time is right.

And we had a Basset Hound named Doris.  Her full name was Wee Baby Doris (which I thought sounded like a child star at Paramount), so I think Doris is a great name for a dog.

On a lighter note, another casting choice for Funny Lady might be:

Fanny:  Annette Funicello
Nick:  Frankie Avalon
Flo Ziegfeld:  Harvey Lembeck
Rose Brice:  Joan Collins
Georgia: Candy Johnson
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:05:50 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2003, 09:05:09 AM »

Isn't it amazing how WRONG Martin, Bancroft, and Burnett would have been for the role? I know the producers were thinking only of a name, but when it's a BIOGRAPHY, one would think a LITTLE common sense would come into play. Maybe not.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2003, 09:12:42 AM »

"You said it, Matt" signed Carroll Baker.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2003, 09:36:12 AM »

Emily...

Don't hate me because I sup with the beautiful and famous. One day I will sup with you too ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2003, 09:36:47 AM »

LOL, JRand, and Carol Lynley could also sign her name!

Andrea

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2003, 09:41:18 AM »

Emily...

Don't hate me because I sup with the beautiful and famous. One day I will sup with you too ;)

Craig...

You can't afford to eat with Emily... no one can afford to eat with emily!

Speaking of whom... if you're going to see Black Comedy with bad british accents, I might want to join in.
Jennifer: So what was the final verdict on the general Tao? And is there a polite way to ask discretely for a copy of the recipe?

Back to my last two papers of the week!

Kisses and all!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2003, 09:42:27 AM »

Helloooo!

Great nightmare Funny Girl casting!  How about the teenybopper cast?

Fanny--Hillary Duff
Nicky--Ashton Kutcher
Rose Brice--Demi Moore  ;)
Flo Ziegfeld---Colin Farrell
Georgia--J Ho.
Ziegfeld Girls--the Hilton sisters, plus all the ones George thought of!

Jane--Great review of the Kid Stays in the Picture!  You've actually made me want to see it now!

BK--No one is a bigger Merman fan than I am, but I do partially agree with what you said.  Maybe she was simply too big for the screen.  Although there are moments in TNBLSB that I found genuinely affecting and I STILL wish she had done the screen version of Gypsy if only to preserve that legendary performance on film!!

Ron--I knew about Mary Martin and Anne Bancroft, but I had no idea Carol Burnett had been in the running!  Wow...what an..uh, interesting performance that would have been!

JMK--I'm so sorry to hear about Ethel!  My heart and thoughts go out to you.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:13:06 AM by Maya »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2003, 09:43:38 AM »

Can one of you DRs tell me just who Paris Hilton is, what she has done in her career and why has she replaced "Beniffer" as the most over-exposed celebrity du jour.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2003, 09:45:06 AM »

Andrea--BLACK COMEDY???  If you do go, one of the parts is a frustrated spinster with a fondness for the bottle.  That was me 2 semesters agp...bad British accent included!  ;)

Maugham rules, btw!  Have you ever read the Moon and Sixpence?

Craig Brockman...supper-boy to the stars!!  : ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:45:58 AM by Maya »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2003, 09:51:25 AM »

Can one of you DRs tell me just who Paris Hilton is, what she has done in her career and why has she replaced "Beniffer" as the most over-exposed celebrity du jour.

The Hilton sisters, Nicky and Paris, redefine the concept of being famous for being famous.  Or, actually, being famous for being famous heiresses (of the Hilton Hotel fortune.)  Even Zsa-Zsa Gabor, famously known for being famous for being famous, did do a little work now and then by appearing in films.

How "hot" a party is in L.A. is defined by how long these two brats socialites stay at the affair.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:58:02 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2003, 10:01:55 AM »

Jay ---
Since Zsa Zsa (Susan Gordon's co-star in "Picture Mommy Dead") was once married to one of the Hiltons is she any relation to Paris?  Also Liz Taylor's first husband was a Hilton.  Is she related to them?

Letter to the Editor in today's NY Daily News:
"What kind of country is this where Rosie O'Donnell and Boy George are opening a show on Broadway, and Farrah Fawcett closes in previews?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2003, 10:09:26 AM »

It's bagel day here at work and I've had mine.  My editor is once again doing "emergency" crap to another show, although we're in pretty good shape on this stuff we're doing.  Monday, my two regular editors start and they cannot be pulled away to do anything but our show.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2003, 10:09:49 AM »

WEL--LOL at that letter!

I think Jay explained it pretty well!  I guess they are the modern day equivalents of women like Barbara Hutton and Doris Duke...only the latter two had class and style.  Nicky is generally seen as the tamer one.  She only dances topless on tables once a week.  ;)

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2003, 10:10:33 AM »

I don't know if I can beat Pia and Adrian.

But I'll try.

How 'bout...

Fanny:     Reese Witherspoon
Nicky:       Frankie Muniz
Rose:       Marlon Brando (in drag)
Georgia:   Queen Latifah
Ziegfeld:  Mr. T.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2003, 10:11:54 AM »

Andrea wrote:
Craig...

You can't afford to eat with Emily... no one can afford to eat with emily!

Why, what does she like to eat?

Jennifer: So what was the final verdict on the general Tao? And is there a polite way to ask discretely for a copy of the recipe?

Oh you can ask, don't be shy.  It was good. But it really wasn't too much like General Taos. There were gooey sticky breadcrumbs (that didn't stick as well as i would have liked). And it was very sweet. Like I said I baked it. And I'm pretty sure that frying it is the only way it will be like what we are used to.

If you still want it, ask and I will post it. I have another few recipes where you fry the chicken. I will eventually try those and hopefully it will be more like what I am used to eating. Or I can just get some from my local Chinse restaurant!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2003, 10:12:59 AM »

Letter to the Editor in today's NY Daily News:
"What kind of country is this where Rosie O'Donnell and Boy George are opening a show on Broadway, and Farrah Fawcett closes in previews?"

W-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l comment! Makes me grin, ear-to-ear!

(Although I have serious reservations about anyone finding Farah Fawcett remotely Broadway-worthy over Rosie and Boy).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up