Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY OF THE TROPICS  (Read 39895 times)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SALLY OF THE TROPICS
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2003, 10:57:14 AM »

Just wait until my review of Taboo :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2003, 10:59:52 AM »

Just a thought, S. Woody - you might want to consider having the entries be a bit shorter as you post them (not content-wise, just shorter increments) because I find them less daunting that way.  Splitting the first chapter into two posts was good, I think, and it probably could have even gone in three - you know, like a serial.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2003, 11:01:31 AM »

Well, your review of Taboo better appear here, buddy-boy, or you will be bitch-slapped by every person on this board.  No links to other sites which no one here cares about - you just post it right here buddy-boy.  We're all looking forward to your thoughts.

Jason

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2003, 11:01:36 AM »

Speaking of serials...I'd like some Corn Pops right now.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2003, 11:11:12 AM »

Wow.  I'm gone for half an hour and both DRs SWW and Lulu make their returns.  It's great to have both of you back where you belong.  (Oh, a Jerry Herman reference.)

Anna in the Tropics just closed a run at the South Coast Repertory Theatre in Costa Mesa.  It got very good reviews, but I did not catch it, unfortunately.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Andrea

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2003, 11:11:37 AM »

Can one of you DRs tell me just who Paris Hilton is, what she has done in her career and why has she replaced "Beniffer" as the most over-exposed celebrity du jour.

Karma just for that!

The hilton sisters apparently model, go to the hamptons and the last rumour I heard, design purses.

I dont' know-- I don't mind rich people, but haven't they ever heard of charity to occupy their time?

Jason

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2003, 11:11:46 AM »

Only six to go!!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2003, 11:14:40 AM »

Just for that Bruce.. I think I shall post links all the live-long-day. Links to sites all over the internet that no one cares about. Oh yes. Let's all go visit a site that no one cares about right now.

http://www.nine-music.com/No_One_Cares_B00005UMTA.html

Andrea

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2003, 11:15:32 AM »

Andrea wrote:
Craig...

You can't afford to eat with Emily... no one can afford to eat with emily!

Why, what does she like to eat?

If you still want it, ask and I will post it. I have another few recipes where you fry the chicken. I will eventually try those and hopefully it will be more like what I am used to eating. Or I can just get some from my local Chinse restaurant!

Well, Jennifer... chicken is still chicken:) And I loooove chicken! So if it's avaliable, I'll take it!

Emily likes racking up food bills at resturants. I don't really know exactly what she eats-- I just know she put the children of the owners at Masion de Nouilles through college:) (Not that I didn't help....)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2003, 11:20:25 AM »

Speaking of Barbara Cook....

How did she ever get cast as Fanny Brice???  I mean, I love the woman, but that is miscasting on an epic level.

NOW I understand (I'm editing my confusing comments out).

It's a stretch for the imagination today, but I'm fairly certain Barbara was lithe enough to tour in "Funny Girl" in the 70s.  She has the pipes for it...if not the "look"!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 11:23:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2003, 11:21:49 AM »

Hedy Lamarr was Lady of the Tropics in a movie a couple of years before she played Tondelayo - a real topical tropical!
 :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2003, 11:23:24 AM »

DR RON - yea!  How could you be a member and read and NOT want to post?

DR TCB - you never did tell us how you got your ascot!

Well, as you said, Jrand, I came out of the closet and there it was.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2003, 11:25:12 AM »

JRand53:  That Hedy Lamarr photo -- from "Samson and Delilah," yes???

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2003, 11:26:04 AM »

JMK I don’t believe you mentioned Ethel.  How old was she?  I know only too well how difficult this has been for you.  My condolences on the loss of your sweet Ethel.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2003, 11:28:55 AM »

I believe so, DR Ron....the world's prettiest barber, and inventor of the automatic garage door opener and the cell phone....ladies and gentlemen, Hedy Lamarr!

Emily

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2003, 11:30:19 AM »

Emily likes racking up food bills at resturants. I don't really know exactly what she eats-- I just know she put the children of the owners at Masion de Nouilles through college:) (Not that I didn't help....)

My problem is that it's less that I like eating out at expensive restaurants then it is about my frequency of saying "chuck it all... I'm hungry and tired and don't want to cook food that I probably won't want to eat by the time I'm done"

I come from a family where restaurants are a way of life.  My mother doesn't cook a lot beyond her "standards" and my father, who works as an enginering consultant, is away from home for two weeks straight out of every month. He is the "chef" of the family and transferred his love of food to all of us.  Unfortunately, when he's away, we eat out pretty much every second day.

On $144 a week, it's hard to stay within your means.  $10 here and $15 there add up.  Sigh.

Craig: I'll live within my means, though, if it means dining out with you one day!  Oh and to rip off a judge from Canadian Idol (bet you never thought you'd hear those words)"if you are cheese, you are the finest camembert!"   :-*

Andrea: I was thinking about BLACK COMEDY (especially so we can tell Maya about it) but only if you'll join me for dinner before it ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2003, 11:31:40 AM »

Helloooo!

Great nightmare Funny Girl casting!  How about the teenybopper cast?

Fanny--Hillary Duff
Nicky--Ashton Kutcher
Rose Brice--Demi Moore  ;)
Flo Ziegfeld---Colin Farrell
Georgia--J Ho.
Ziegfeld Girls--the Hilton sisters, plus all the ones George thought of!

Great choices, Maya, then Nicky could sleep with Fanny AND Rose.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2003, 11:33:30 AM »

Love that Doris! When is the Motion Picture Academy going to wake up, smell the coffee (or milk shake in her case), and award her an honorary Oscar for her dazzling versatility in a host of musicals, comedies, and dramas in a twenty-year film career?
[/qote]

I will second that!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 12:20:21 PM by Jane »

Emily

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2003, 11:34:24 AM »

Oh... I received the new Zagat Broadway and Off-Broadway Theatre Guide today in the mail free-of-charge because according to them I "added my reviews to their database".

For the life of me, I do not think I have ever even LOOKED at their Theatre Guide, nonetheless submitted anything to them.  

Weird.  Zagat has powers beyond comprehension.  

The Guide itself looks very interesting although slightly skewed towards the well-known shows that have received lots of good press like "The Producers" and "The Lion King".

I'm not complaining! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2003, 11:34:52 AM »

Andrea--BLACK COMEDY???  If you do go, one of the parts is a frustrated spinster with a fondness for the bottle.  That was me 2 semesters agp...bad British accent included!  ;)

And that's me, as Harold Gourange, but I think it may have been more than two semesters ago.
“One thing’s universal,

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2003, 11:35:18 AM »

Emily..

How sweet... question for you..

Just how the heck is your day going?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2003, 11:35:35 AM »

Hedy Lamarr:  Never lovelier than she was in "Ziegfeld Girl" (IMO).  Here she is with Judy Garland (l) and Lana Turner (r):

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2003, 11:40:43 AM »

DR Andrea wrote:
Well, Jennifer... chicken is still chicken:) And I loooove chicken! So if it's avaliable, I'll take it!

Okay I'll post the link (it will take up less room than posting the whole recipe.

This one is Candied Chicken Breasts.  People said it tasted like General Taos. I sort of adjusted a few things (didn't actually measure most stuff, used italian bread crumbs, no mustard or onions or oregano. And used some honey). There was a lot of sauce and it was a bit too sweet. Plus I need to learn to make the bread crumbs stick when you eat it. I think you might have to fry it for that.
http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/candiedchickenbreasts.asp

Here is another one that is probably better. And no bread crumbs. It's for carmelized baked chicken. This one was also sweet. But i liked it better the second day.

http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/caramelizedbakedchicken.asp

I only take recipes that have 4 or 5 stars.

Emily

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2003, 11:41:03 AM »

Craig,

Is my happiness that un-subtle? :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2003, 11:41:50 AM »

NOT to be confused, of course, with Hedley Lamarr:

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2003, 11:43:28 AM »

Helloooo!

Jane--Great review of the Kid Stays in the Picture!  You've actually made me want to see it now!

Thank you.  Now I have to admit, I had Keith write it.

Emily

« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2003, 11:45:15 AM »

Jennifer I googled for a recipe for General Tao and guess where the first one I saw came from? Le Piment Rouge on Peel Street!  Talk about coincidences...

General Tao's Chicken (Le Piment Rouge)  
Categories:  Poultry  
Average Rating:     (15 votes)  

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients
10  oz  Chicken Legs, deboned  
2  c  Soya Oil  
1  tb  Ginger Root, minced  
2  ea  Scallions, chopped  
1  tb  Garlic, minced  
2  tb  Dry Chili Pepper  
2  tb  Sugar  
2  tb  Soy Sauce  
1 1/2  ts  Vinegar  
2  tb  Cornstarch  
1/4  c  Chicken Stock  
1  ts  Sesame Oil  

MARINADE:

1  ea  Egg White  
1  tb  Cornstarch  
1  tb  Soy Sauce

For the best results use skinned deboned legs of capon.

1.  Cut the chicken into pieces no larger than 1 inch square. Prepare marinade by combining egg white, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces and set aside for two hours. In a deep pot, heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. In a basket, or with a slotted spoon, lower several marinated chicken pieces into the fat. Fry about one or two minutes or until the chicken becomes crisp; test for doneness before completing the batch. Continue until all pieces have been fried. Set oil and cooked chicken pieces aside. In a wok, on high heat, reheat two tablespoons of the reserved oil. Add prepared ginger, scallions, garlic and chili peppers. Stir to prevent burning. Add the fried chicken and stir quickly. Add sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and cornstarch mixed with chicken stock. Remove from the heat and stir sesame oil into the sauce. Spoon the mixture on to a hot platter and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4. Hazel Mah who owns Le Piment Rouge Windsor (translation: Red Pepper) and Le Piment Rouge Laurier graciously agreed to share the recipe for the popular dish. This dish dates back to the Chin Dynasty and is named for General Tao, a governor of the northern Chinese province of Hunan. According to legend, the old general ate nothing but poultry and this dish was his favorite.

Le Piment Rouge Windsor, 1170 Peel in Montreal. From The Gazette, 91/02/27.

Oh and if you make the recipe you probably don't want to use Italian Bread Crumbs because I believe those are seasoned with herbs and such to make them more appropriate for Italian cooking than Asian-style dishes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 11:47:40 AM by Emily »

Jane

« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2003, 11:49:25 AM »

I need to go and have a lie-down.

That sounds very English to me. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2003, 11:52:40 AM »

BLACK COMEDY....lots of fun for the actors....as an audience member I was very bored.
Of course the production I saw didn't feature any of the DR from HHW!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2003, 11:54:13 AM »

Here's another link to a site no one cares about

http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up