Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY OF THE TROPICS  (Read 39875 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SALLY OF THE TROPICS
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2003, 10:13:06 AM »

I would actually pay good money to see some of these casts - it also might be fun to mix and match from our lists.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2003, 10:21:55 AM »

Fanny: Ellen DeGeneres
Rose: Rosie O'Donnell
Georgia: Tommy Tune
Nicky: Lea DeLaria
Flo Ziegfeld: Dame Edna

Ben

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2003, 10:30:01 AM »

How about

Fanny: Raven Symone (from Disney Channel's That's So Raven)

Nick: Shia Leboeuf (sp) (also from Disney Channel on Even Stevens)

Rose B.: Zsa Zsa Gabor

Ziegfeld Girls: The four sisters from the old Cosby show in the 80s (can't remember all their names)
Georgia: Mariah Carey

Flo Z.: Jerry Stiller

« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:31:58 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2003, 10:31:27 AM »

What is the character's name, the piano player from Mr. Keany's who helps Fanny in the beginning. We need to come up with someone to play him.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2003, 10:31:32 AM »

DR WEL--I honestly don't know.  Those potential familial relationships hadn't even occurred to me, but now that you mention them, their prospect is delicious!

DR Jason--Did you line up your cast for an HRC benefit?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2003, 10:34:11 AM »

We should include the person in Jason's photo who is dressed as Wonder Woman. She could be a specialty act in the Follies number.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:34:25 AM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2003, 10:35:09 AM »

Good news: I'm at long last back on-line!

Not so good news: I've got too many chores that need my attention right now (like job hunting), so catching up with all of BK's notes and the oompityfratz posts from the last two weeks will have to wait until tonight.

Good news: I've started writing the story of the trip.  Hope at least some of you enjoy it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

Ben

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2003, 10:37:39 AM »

Welcome back Woody. Look forward to trip reports.

Jason

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2003, 10:37:54 AM »

Fanny: Jennifer Holliday
Rose: Sheryl Lee Ralph
Nicky: Norm Lewis
Georgia: Loretta Divine
Flo Ziegfeld: Billy Porter

Ben: I agree...Wonder Woman should definitely be in one of the follies numbers. I'm sure she'd be flattered to know that you want to cast her in a show!

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2003, 10:38:13 AM »

Okay this Survivor news probably won't make anyone happy but me and DR Emily. But this is the rumor about the All Star Survivor filming now in Panama.
As long as Colby is there. I am in.

It is rumoured that there are THREE tribes. Tribe One: Ethan Zohn, Rudy Boesch, Rupert Boneham, Jenna Lewis, Jerri Manthey, Tina Wesson. Tribe Two: Richard Hatch, Colby Donaldson, Lex Van den Berghe, Jenna Morasca, Shii Ann Huang, Kathy OBrien. Tribe Three: Rob Mariano, Rob Cesternino, Tom Buchanan, Alicia Calaway, Amber Brkich, Susan Hawk.

Jason

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2003, 10:38:47 AM »

Oooh! I'm so close to becoming a Senior Member!

Ben

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2003, 10:39:27 AM »

The piano player I mentioned earlier. He could be played by Rod Stewart or Keith Richards.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2003, 10:41:16 AM »

Actually Jason, you'll be a full member. The push to become a Senior Member at 250 posts will then take over your life. I hope you have as good a posting partner as I have had in Jennifer, racing as we did to the finish.

Jason

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2003, 10:42:44 AM »

Details, details...I just want another star.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:43:32 AM by Jason »

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2003, 10:43:55 AM »

Geez, I FINALLY got a picture to work!!!

That was grueling...I need to go and have a lie-down.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2003, 10:44:12 AM »

DRIVING TOWARDS ORION

Chapter One: Thursday, October 30th

I would have expected moving day to be more traumatic.  That is what I’ve always heard it would be, traumatic, but I truthfully cannot think of a word less applicable.  Think of the synonyms the word traumatic brings to mind, words like shocking, or disturbing, or hurtful.  Shocking makes me think of R-rated films, the sort of movies that kids aren’t supposed to watch and are therefore marketed towards them.  A movie of the moving day I went through would resemble an episode of The Care Bears, it was so lacking in shocks and excitement.  The MPAA would have to invent a new rating, for things too bland to earn a G.  I didn’t so much as stub a toe, so the word hurtful doesn’t apply, and no one we knew was disturbed by the move.  We’d said good-bye to most of our friends earlier in the week, but since they’d all been hearing about our leaving for too long, the general reaction was more “At last!” than “Ohmygawd, I’ll never see you guys again!”  I actually had to follow Tedbear, our favorite bartender, into the men’s room at the Crest, to repeat the news that this was indeed farewell.  That I wasn’t kidding this time finally struck him as he was standing at the urinal, the realization hitting him with enough force that he spun around, missing me by inches.  Still, there was a solidity to the farewell hug he gave me that was gratifying.

I don’t mean to imply that there wasn’t plenty to do.  Der Brucer, my life-partner of nearly eighteen years, had decided to break the move into two parts.  First he was going to drive the five dogs and me, with all the really necessary earthly belongings, cross-country to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  Then, after a week of getting us settled, he would fly back to Long Beach, California, and get a different moving company than the one we had originally contacted to move all the rest of our belongings eastward.  We’d stalled enough, he reasoned, what with getting our new house built taking two and a half years when it should only have taken one.  Heck, I’d taken early retirement at forty-eight in anticipation of the move, and I was now a couple of months into fifty!  Besides, we were scheduled to join a group of friends from the Internet at the Kennedy Center for a matinee of Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman’s Bounce two Saturdays hence, and if we didn’t get going those tickets would go to waste.  There are priorities in life, after all.

That final Thursday, my priority was to get my room cleaned out.  That way, it could be used as a staging area for the rest of the items in the house that were to be moved upon der Brucer’s return.  Out went the old box springs and mattress, no longer needed.  A new bed was waiting for me in our new home.  Out went piles of papers and now unwanted magazines into the trash or recycling bins.  The cooking magazines, still useful for their recipes, all went into moving boxes to be shipped later.  What clothes I’d need during and after the trip fit easily into one large duffle, the rest into a large box, the hanging shirts and suits into a second box made for those kinds of items.  The empty bookcases lined one wall, along with my desk and a couch der Brucer had decided belonged in the new home’s basement.  My old desk chair, which I’d had since my days at John Muir Junior High, followed the old bed into the driveway to be trashed, no longer useful or repairable.  There was no trauma, or even remorse.

The dogs watched all this with a certain amount of curiosity, but except for an occasional poking about, inspecting things with their noses, they stayed out of the way.  Marty, the big black lab, and Buster, the golden pup, were at last getting along, although Marty left the roughhousing to Buster and his sister, Bonnie, and to Mikey, the terrier who was no longer our youngest.  Kelsey, the old daschund, stayed on his pillows and simply watched.  A friend of der Brucer’s, experienced in real estate, dropped by at one point to discuss der Brucer’s plans for selling the old house and declared that Bonnie and Buster must have some Basingi in them, because of their markings and builds.  I didn’t have time to go on-line to check her opinion, so I simply agreed.

It was finally time to pack the car.  The back seat was to be the dog’s lair, with blankets laid over the upholstery for their comfort.  The trunk was jammed with suitcases, boxes, and the main ice chest.  The laptop computer was to be at der Brucer’s feet, a smaller chest for colas at mine.  I’d already picked out close to fifty CDs to be played during our journey, but had worked out a system where I’d move the discs I’d play each day into a smaller traveling case that I’d keep up front, swapping them every night or morning with fresh discs from the main box in the trunk.  For the most part we’d be listening to show tunes, consistent for two men timing their move to a November matinee at the Kennedy Center.  Dog leashes were to be kept near my feet, each day’s maps by my side.  The sun was already setting by the time we were ready to move the dogs from the house into the car; first Kelsey, who needed to be carried, and then the other four, who only knew that something exciting was happening.  Der Brucer went back inside for one last phone call, and I looked at the house we had shared for nearly eighteen years for one last time.

I felt nothing at all resembling trauma.  It had been a good house that we were leaving, one that der Brucer already owned when we met, and though not large it had contained us well.  I wouldn’t miss the kitchen, too cramped with barely a square foot of useable counter workspace and an oven that wasn’t useable at all.  The back yard had been a place where the dogs could romp, the living room a place where I could watch DVDs.  But looking at the house elicited no sad emotions.  I’ve never been unable to let go when it was time to do so.

Der Brucer finally dashed from the house.  “Are you ready?” he asked.  “Is everything locked up?” I asked in return.  He nodded, and we stared at each other for a moment.  If there was a reason I wasn’t regretting the move, that reason was standing in front of me.  I momentarily thought of giving him a big, wet kiss right there, in front of the house, but he was already opening the door on the driver’s side of the car and getting in.  What the heck, I thought, the neighbors aren’t around to be shocked, and wouldn’t be shocked after all these years anyway.  I opened the passenger door, and looked up.  It was dusk, and the stars would be out soon.

To Be Continued...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2003, 10:46:42 AM »

Lulu, you look loverly or luverly (ahh, alliteration)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2003, 10:47:23 AM »

One better thing about this here way of posting - the Woody stories look better and are easier to read.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2003, 10:48:44 AM »

Good photo, Lulu.

Oh, and I found out that there's something around called Anna in the Tropics, so that must be what I had in my head.  But if it's Anna in the Tropics what's Sally's deal?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2003, 10:49:46 AM »

DRIVING TOWARDS ORION

Chapter One: Thursday, October 30th (part two)

A few days earlier, der Brucer had picked up a supply of books and maps from AAA.  In particular, he had ordered a special book from them, a sequence of maps spiral-bound together that they call “TripTix.”  The maps themselves are generic, covering major routes, but taken in order, page to page, the entire trip from coast to coast was outlined for us.  Each page was a fold-over sheet, with the suggested route for that part of the trip marked with a highlighter on the top of each page.  Opening each page revealed all the alternate routes and side trips available for that particular leg of the journey, and on the back was information about the sites and towns, along with maps of some of the cities.  All in all, it was a handy little gadget, well worth the extra price it cost for its assembly by the people at AAA.  For this particular leg of the journey, however, der Brucer was ignoring the TripTix.  He knew well enough how to get us out of Long Beach and on the road to our first stop in Needles, by way of Barstow.  

Traffic on the 91 Freeway was predictably heavy.  “This will all clear out before too long,” he told me.  I was more concerned with how the dogs were settling down.  Kelsey hadn’t budged from his pillows, and as far as I could tell he was quite content, although I couldn’t see him as he was laying right behind me.  Marty, meanwhile, had declared most of the back seat behind der Brucer as his territory.  There was a contented look on his face, a smile matched with half-shut eyes.  Mikey had found a spot alongside Marty, and Bonnie was watching everything that was happening from a spot in the middle, half on and half off the console dividing der Brucer and myself.  Buster was the problem.  He either could not or would not find a spot in the back, and if I tried to push him back he would push himself forward again, either through the middle over Bonnie or going around and over the back of my seat or der Brucer’s.  Having him climb over me was bad enough; climbing over der Brucer was downright dangerous, so I relented and let him settle in on my lap.  I was certain that he would get tired and agree to sleep in the back eventually.

Der Brucer had the news on the radio, which was fine for the start of the trip.  Think of that as one of his character traits, that he always has the news playing, be it on the television at home or on the radio in the car.  I’ve mostly gotten used to it, although the repetitiveness of what the newscasters report gets on my nerves after a while.  I wouldn’t mind if whoever was programming the news would broadcast more in-depth stories about interesting things, but instead they keep to the main story of the day, interrupted only by occasional bursts of traffic or weather.  After ten minutes, the cycle repeats itself, over and over.  I was relieved, therefore, when he agreed to my taking over the car’s sound system when we got to the San Bernardino Freeway.  I’d already decided the right song to start the trip: “It’s Not Where You Start,” as sung by Barbara Cook on her Dorothy Field’s album, Close as Pages In a Book.  Fields has long been a favorite lyricist of mine, with a career that literally spanned decades, from the twenties through to the seventies.  How many other lyricists are there who can claim that they worked with Jimmy McHugh, Sigmund Romberg, Jerome Kern, and Cy Coleman?  I’m not sure I like the use her song “The Way You Look Tonight” is getting in commercials these days, but it did earn her the first songwriting Oscar given to a woman.  Der Brucer quietly sang along to “Don’t Blame Me,” something I’ve rarely caught him doing before.

By the time we got to Barstow, his tune was changing.  He was getting hungry, but the signage for restaurants wasn’t too good; by the time he could figure out what places were open, he’d already driven past the off ramp.  “That might have been the last In-N-Out we just passed,” he told me.  I wasn’t too bothered, as I’ve never been much of a burger person, but In-N-Out is a California institution, and it was slipping away in my rear view mirror.  A young co-worker who hailed from Chicago before I retired had demanded of the rest of us “What’s so great about the hamburgers at In-N-Out?”  Some things either cannot or should not be explained, so we didn’t even try at the time.  Part of the problem with his question was the implication that if one thing is great, other things in the same category cannot be great at the same time, or for different reasons.  In-N-Out is simply what a burger should taste like…in Southern California.  
I’ve been to Chicago, and I’m not sure I’d want to eat an In-N-Out burger there, because it wouldn’t taste the same.  By the same token, I recall quite some time ago White Castle trying to establish themselves in SoCal, and not being able to pull it off.  The statement, that “location is everything,” is true in a multitude of ways.

We were already past Barstow when der Brucer decided we really needed to add some gas to the tank.  The Olds he’d been driving in SoCal was one of the things he’d chosen to discard, too tired to be able to withstand the journey.  What we were driving was a rental car, a full-sized model chosen for the extra room, but this meant that der Brucer had no idea how long he could go without refueling.  It also meant that the dogs could take a rest stop of their own.  Somehow, I ended up walking the four, while der Brucer tried to coax Kelsey into doing his old man maneuvers.  Two dogs together aren’t too much of a problem when they’re leashed together, but four dogs together is something else again, an immediate tangle that gets worse with every step.  Again, when everyone was reloaded into the car, Kelsey and Marty found their places immediately, with Bonnie taking the center in case she wanted to watch.  Once again, however, Buster refused to get find a spot in back; only my lap was good enough for him.  This time, however, Mikey decided that he, too, deserved my lap, and the two dogs were soon fast asleep, as were my legs.

By this time, we were heading eastward on the Interstate 40, the road we would be following for most of our journey.  It was pitch black outside, with very little moon to light the high desert.  All that could be seen were the trucks and cars on the road ahead of us, and the stars above.  “At what point do all these trucks start to clear out?” I asked.  Der Brucer shook his head.  Thirty years had passed since the last time he had driven cross-country, and some things, like the number of trucks we were seeing, had changed.  Directly above the road we could see Orion, the most prominent constellation in the eastern sky.  His head and arms lay to the north, his feet to the south, but his belt seemed to draw an extending line straight upwards from the road ahead, perpendicular to where the horizon would have been if we could have seen it.  The music shifted, through Gilbert and Sullivan’s Mikado into Sting’s score for the IMax film The Living Sea, followed by Rebecca Luker singing Cole Porter on her solo CD, Anything Goes.  Der Brucer sang along again to “True Love,” and looked at me with surprise when she started to sing “Don’t Fence Me In.”  “Cole Porter wrote this?” he asked, long familiar with the song but not with it’s origins.  “Ah-yup!” I replied, keeping things in the vernacular.  

This was the short leg of our journey, by der Brucer’s plan and we pulled into Needles sometime after midnight.  There wasn’t a problem with our motel reservations, since der Brucer had made the arrangements over the Internet and we were guaranteed a room with a late arrival.  There was a problem with the number of dogs we had in tow, since the motel would only accept two per room, so we smuggled the pack in with us, and avoided the manager’s office when we took them out for walks in pairs.  Sandwiches were prepared from lunchmeats I’d stowed in the big cooler.  The only ruckus came when Buster discovered that there was another dog in the room, hiding in the mirror, but that interloper disappeared quickly enough when the lights were turned out.

MUSIC STACK:

Close as Pages in a Book, Barbara Cook, DRG Records Incorporated, 1993.  
Topsy-Turvy, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Sony Classical, 1999.
The Living Sea, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack featuring the music of Sting, A&M Records, 1995.
Anything Goes, Rebecca Luker sings Cole Porter, Varese Sarabande, 1996

Ben

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2003, 10:50:22 AM »

Anna in the Tropics is this year's Pulitzer Prize winning play. It had a production in NJ and it's either now in previews or just about to start previews on Broadway. Jimmy Smits is in it and it involves a Cuban cigar maker. That's all I remember. People thought Take Me Out would win the Pulitzer but AITT did.

Ben

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2003, 10:51:57 AM »

Close as Pages in a Book, oh, I do like that one. Good choice.

Jason

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2003, 10:52:47 AM »

I'm actually seeing ANNA IN THE TROPICS tonight. I have a spare ticket if anyone is interested.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2003, 10:53:37 AM »

One better thing about this here way of posting - the Woody stories look better and are easier to read.
Thank-you!  Just so everyone will know, there is a limit to how long a post can be, which is why I had to go back and split this chapter into two parts.  (I write the original in Word, then cut and paste.  I've a hunch the limit to post length will come to about two pages in Word.  That's for those of us who have a lot to say at one time.)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2003, 10:54:10 AM »

Jason - you'll always be OUR biggest star :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2003, 10:55:26 AM »

Welcome home, SWW.  Fun to read!  ;D

LULU LULU LULU - what a great picture!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2003, 10:55:27 AM »

Speaking of Barbara Cook....

How did she ever get cast as Fanny Brice???  I mean, I love the woman, but that is miscasting on an epic level.

Jason

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2003, 10:56:09 AM »

Wow...talk about some Velveeta. Craig--that was about the cheesiest post yet. Thanks for the compliment, though. ;)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2003, 10:56:28 AM »

Lulu--is that you in the pic?  You are bee-yu-tee-ful!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up