Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY  (Read 36826 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY
« on: November 14, 2003, 12:06:11 AM »

Well, if you've read the notes (and you have, of course) you know all about what the title means and all about our topic of discussion, so go to it, you dear dear peoples.  All that is left for me to say is

« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 12:46:47 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 12:43:13 AM »

DVD (From last night) "Stritch At Liberty"
CDs: 1.Rodgers & Hammerstein "Overtures" (Hollywood Bowl Orchestra) What a delight to hear the overtures from the lesser known shows too.
2. "After The Ball" Joan Morris
3. "Cry For Us All" OBC - This score is terrific.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 02:25:19 AM »

508 POSTS YESTERDAY!!!  And I hay-elped!  ;D

Well, the cheesecake is in the oven and has about 10 minutes left.  It took me 30 minutes to try and QUIETLY do the dishes that I used.  I still have a lot of other dishes to do but they don't have raw egg on them.

Anyway, with all this talk about Ruthie Henshall (Thursday), I'm bringing to work her CD called "Pilgrim."  It's not CD of theater songs, but it's got pop songs and even a Madonna song on it (in a very different version from what Madonna does).  The song "After the Rain" is my favorite song from the CD.

In my DVD player:  ALW's By Jeeves (region 2).  I got it earlier this week and have watched bits of it, especially the bonus material, but I haven't watched the whole show proper all the way through.  I won't be able to tonight (Friday) because I'm ushering for a concert by George Winston.  :D  It should be a very good concert.  

On my record player, Sarah Brightman's live (TV broadcast) recording of Song and Dance (again).  I had already recorded it to my computer to make a CD of it, but at the points where I broke up each of the sides of the record into individual tracks, there's a little click that is annoying as hell.  I hate that.  I have to fix them manually and sometimes it just doesn't work.  Some of my fixes haven't worked at all.  So, I'm starting over.

After Song and Dance will be my brand newly received eBay purchase of the original cast album of Schmidt & Jones' Philemon.  I've heard good things about this, but I've never heard it...not any songs from it at all.  I'm excited.  The album looks like it was never even played!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 02:30:53 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Emily

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 03:33:32 AM »

I woke up today at 5:30 AM so that I can be at school to meet with my presentation partner before the class.

I didn't know there was a 5:30 IN THE MORNING!!! [Yawn]

More later.  Or not... I might collaps from exhaustion.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 04:33:46 AM »

So many notes from last night.  I stayed late and saw some wonderful photos from TCB as Horace Vandergelder!  ;D

Some baby pictures!  ;D

A great review of Taboo from DR Craig!  Thanks, Craig - probably the first review available was right here on HHW!

And even MORE notes this morning!  Everyone was lively and fun!  Thanks for the late nght!

Whew!  I am going to collaps just like DR Emily!

In my CD player:  Gypsy  and I agree with all the positive things that were written about this movie...and it's great to have the CD at last!  Rosalind Russell was a terrific actress, stunningly beautiful, and a good choice to play Rose - because she could act it.  I sat in the theatre when I was 11 years old and was astounded that she said "butts" and cried when Natalie "sang" Little Lamb.  

Also in the CD - a disk recommended by DR Martin Mull....I mean TD - Andre Previn/Doris Day.  It is a nice warm jazzy sound with Day and the Previn trio doing their best which is good indeed!  

In the DVD - Finding Nemo and I can add nothing to the praise it has already received here.  I can only say hurray for NO dumb songs!

In the VCR - Youngblood Hawke with Mr James Franciscus and Ms Suzanne Pleshette.

On the phonograph:  Annette's Pajama Party!

Friday at last!!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 04:39:50 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Your Allison Hayes Picture of the Day!  We should all aspire to such joy!  I call this one:  

"Do you like my
hat?"

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 04:41:30 AM »

Oh, my. I expected a lot of posts but not over 500!

I'm sorry Craig about not mentioning your Taboo review. I even read it. I think it slipped my mind because I was thinking of other things during my early evening posting frenzies. I'm the one who posted all the links to outside reviews so bitch-slap away.

Not much music or video or DVD in this boy's weekend. Other than seeing the cabaret show I mentioned yesterday (way early on page 7 or something like that), I'll spend the weekend working. I might put something in the player at home but  I don't know what I'll listen to yet.

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 04:46:20 AM »

It's too early to have anything anywhere yet.   And I mean it!  Including it being too early to have me here typing this post.  But once I have something somewhere, I'll let you know.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 04:47:01 AM »

BTW, DR Matthew, break a leg on your opening night of Jerry's Girls. Have some Milk and Honey afterwards and then go on a Grand Tour of some local nightspots to celebrate

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 04:57:34 AM »

Craig's review of Taboo is on yesterday's notes, Post number 286 on page 10. He ended by saying More later (I'm at work) so maybe I thought he would come back and add to the review.

TCB: Nope, I'm not looking to rejoin the dating pool. I'm very happy w/my Anthony. Even if I was single, the thought of joining the dating pool in this day and age is scary!

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 04:58:38 AM »

And, DR Maya, how did opening night go? Any untoward incidents? Any ghosts visit the theatre? Any sets fall down? Did you all get through the show without problems?

Andrea

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 05:19:01 AM »

Craig says,
because, dear reader dad ... I was at work and didn't have time to type it all out

Craig has a father! sssheesh who'd have thought!

Does this mean the girls of HHW should stop flirting and be more ladylike

DR Emily: hahahahahaha-- ow.[ the ow was in anciticaption of the meeting you're going to give me at school after reading this]

Andrea

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 05:21:17 AM »

DR TCB: Hornblower is wonderful! One movie in a sort of a simliar vien is St. Ives. Kind of tacky, but really dramtaically funny.

"I can never love a man who loves a cliche!"

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 05:23:14 AM »

OK BK_I'll mention it again.

Who was the 5000th Poster and is there a prize involved?

Andrea

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 05:28:43 AM »

Ron said yesterday "I cannot speak for Canada, but in the United States, an ascot is an affectation!!"

Ah... I'll never forget the day a professor at Mcgill wore an ascot. It was all over the campus press for the next few weeks as students tried to get all professors to wear ascots.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 05:35:40 AM »

I'll never forget the morning I got my ascot in the car door.

Emily

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2003, 05:36:37 AM »

Andrea, remind me to beat you up afterwards...

JK DRs... I hardly ever resort to physical violence on my friends... :)

I certainly do NOT remember any prof. wearing an ascot. Although I'm sure that if one did, Andrea would be the first to notice.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 05:36:53 AM »

lol Jrand :D

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 05:37:18 AM »

Andrea-I'm very liberal. You can flirt with anybody you choose.

Tom- What kind of musical is CRY FOR US ALL and do you know if the CD is available in the States-United that is??

Emily

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2003, 05:37:44 AM »

someone BOOED me... AGAIN! :(

I think that there is a DR out there who dislikes me...  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2003, 05:52:16 AM »

DR Emily - I applauded you to make up the diff.  I think it must be a mistake.  Of course, I have been stuck at 19 for several days.  Must be some Allison naysayers around HHW.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2003, 06:00:45 AM »

8-D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2003, 06:12:03 AM »

Mr BK - is HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS going to be a series or is it a one time special?  Will that woman have go through her seating dilemma many times between now and....the holidays?

Ben

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2003, 06:14:40 AM »

DR Arnold (father to the esteemed Craig), Cry for Us All is a musical version of William Alfred's Hogan's Goat (with a score by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Alfred and Phyllis Robinson). It's about political maneuvering among Irish-Americans in Brooklyn in the late 19th century. It was not a success. It had 18 previews and 8 performances in 1970. Robert Weede was in it and nominated for Best Actor in a Musical (he lost to Cleavon Little in Purlie) I don't think it's been transferred to CD. I think there was a cast recording. This was in 1970, back when they made lots of cast recordings, even if a show was not successful. You could find them in record bins and they were usually marked down so you could get them cheap. Oh, the good old days.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2003, 06:19:20 AM »

According to this site, Cry for Us All is not on CD

http://www.castalbums.org/notoncd.html

If you click on the Cry for Us All link you do get taken to The Musical Cast Album Database which has an image of the Cast Album and some information about the cast.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 06:20:43 AM by Ben »

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2003, 06:30:53 AM »

I still don't have anything in anytihng else.  I'll keep you updated.
I like boat races.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2003, 06:32:33 AM »

Why is it that even though I click the "Always Stay Logged On" box I still have to log in once in a while?
It's happened only once at home, but it happens every couple of days at work.

CRY FOR US ALL was one of the only two OBC recordings on a label called Project 3.  The other, MINNIE'S BOYS, was issued on CD, but CFUA was not.  It stars the wonderful Helen Gallagher and that most happy fella Robert Weede.

CD - Florence Foster Jenkins sings bonus tracks from GYPSY.  (The rest of the CD features mostly Lisa Kirk).
(BK - are the bonus tracks on the bootleg?)

DVD - The "virtual aquarium" on the FINDING NEMO DVD (I'll watch the movie when I have time).  One of the cats has been sitting right next to the television when I put this on.

VHS - Nothing

Casettes - I just finished a set of classic radio comedy shows.  9 of the 10 were funnier than most television comedy shows today (including one with yesterday's topic Fanny Brice as "Baby Snooks"), but Milton Berle just wasn't funny on radio.

LP - I keep listening to "Man With a Load of Mischief".  What a gem of a show and now that I've seen it the LP is only better because I can place the songs within the context of the show.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2003, 07:02:26 AM »

Thank You Ben and William E.Lurie for the info.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2003, 07:03:53 AM »

Only one more post and I become a Jr. I'm too old to be a Jr.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2003, 07:04:59 AM »

Kerry, only 25 more to go and you'll be a junior. Won't that be exciting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up