Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!  (Read 18625 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2005, 07:37:35 PM »

OH!  DR Ginny - Yes, Magnolia is on the eating/walking/more eating tour of Manhattan.

*And I actually brought this eating/walking/more eating tour to some friends of mine.  -They're thinking of investing in it!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2005, 07:40:55 PM »

OH!  DR Ginny - Yes, Magnolia is on the eating/walking/more eating tour of Manhattan.

Oh, good!  Now, I'm off to sleep with visions of Magnolia cupcakes dancing in my head.  'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2005, 08:08:45 PM »

How often do they do these Ray Courts shows? Maybe they should be reduced to once a year or once every other year. Familiarity breeds, well, you know,. . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2005, 08:12:05 PM »

Der Brucer spent part of the evening watching a film called The Exorcist: The Beginning.  I did not watch it with him.  I was able to hear quite a bit of the film, however.  It was one of those films where the filmmakers decided at some point to get the audience on the edge of their seats by pumping the volume way up every time they (the filmmakers) wanted to get a reaction.  Unfortunately, this meant that the volume was pumped way up about every five seconds or so.  The end result was that the house sounded like a rickety wood roller-coaster, which is fine for the usual three-minute-or-so roller-coaster ride, but over the course of a feature-length motion picture wears out it's welcome rapidly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2005, 08:15:15 PM »

Finally watched the 1934 THE MERRY WIDOW all the way through. GLorious Lubitsch direction and a very expensive production. No wonder MGM didn't break even on it!

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »

Got through both episodes of THE GREEN HORNET today, too. Richard Anderson was the most famous actor in the guest cast, so neither of these featured stars of yore like many of the shows have.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2005, 08:17:44 PM »

And we had overcast skies and drizzle for much of the day, our second in a row where temperatures didn't get out of the 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, but it could stay like today for a few more days, and I wouldn't mind a bit.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2005, 08:21:22 PM »

Why does Peter Bogdanovich think he's an impressionist? On one of the Hitchcock documentaries, he discusses several interviews with Hitchcock, and he attempts to mimic him in relating what Hitchcock said. He also tries to do Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in those documentaries.

Tonight, as the host of "The Essentials" where he was introducing THE MERRY WIDOW, he attempted to do Jack Benny while disucssing something Benny told him about Ernst Lubitsch.

Pretty irritating since he's not all that great at it.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2005, 08:26:14 PM »

The version of FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX that the Independent High Definition Channel showed was the 1965 version with James Stewart which I've seen and enjoyed for many years, but wasn't anxious to see again today.

It got erased about 10 seconds into the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2005, 08:53:07 PM »

If I did read about Robert Wright earlier, it didn't register. It has now.

Very sad to read this, as I thought he had some wonderful shows to his credit.

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »

DR WFO and I both remember "Kismet" as our first real introduction to Musical Theatre.  The quartet "And This Is My Beloved" is still one of my favourites.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »

DR WFO and I both remember "Kismet" as our first real introduction to Musical Theatre.  The quartet "And This Is My Beloved" is still one of my favourites.

It is still an impressive piece of work. I love it, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »

Off to bed for me. Have nice evenings.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2005, 09:09:35 PM »

I've finally caught up.  I don't know if I like house-sitting at a house without a computer at the same time that my house-mate is out of town and I have to watch and entertain two different cats at two different houses.  It's all just too, too (that's two toos) much. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2005, 09:19:11 PM »

My most memorable birthday party was my 21st.  I was living on campus at Western Washington University and my suite-mates knew that my 21st birthday was coming up.  So we all planned this party and made invitations and a lot of people showed up (including many that I had never met before).  We put on the invitation that we were going to have a Disco Birthday party for me (I still had several Donna Summer albums...yes, this was in 1987 when vinyl still existed) and that gifts were not required but key chains (which I did and still do collect) were requested.  And since I was the only 21-year-old in the suite, I had to buy the keg of beer.  I didn't have to pay for it, just get it.  

So we had the party and no one threw up and we didn't get into any kind of trouble.  I didn't (and still don't) drink, but that night I forced myself to drink a large-ish cup o' beer.  It took me all night and I never even got a little buzz, but I drank it.  For the gifts, I got a lot of key chains, some even homemade, most of which I still have in boxes my extra bedroom.  And that was my most memorable birthday.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »

Next year, I'm going to be 40, so I'm sure that that'll be a big party ;) And my birthday is Cinco de Mayo, so there's always a celebration on my day! ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 09:19:44 PM by George »

George

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2005, 09:21:01 PM »

Well, I must be off to the other house.  Tomorrow, I'm taking my niece to Seattle for a Seattle Storm women's basketball game, so I'll be gone all day.  Goodnight all!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2005, 09:35:43 PM »

Good Evening!

Clothes are packed.  I shall finish all the "little stuff" when I wake in the morning.

I actually managed to un-pack a bunch of stuff whilst packing.  Heck, it's only three weeks, and when I need clean clothes, I can always do laundry.  I do not have to pack a clean shirt for each day of my "trip". -Which I have done before, sort of - at least two weeks worth of shirts, underwear, socks, etc.  *Thankfully, jeans tend to wear well over a span of days.  ;)

So, come morning, I just need to pack my toiletries, and my laptop.  I just did a pass through my "important papers", and I pulled the few things that I may need while I'm up at Williamstown.

...And I'll be marking up my score on the train ride up to Albany... if I'm not reading the Sunday Times... or sleeping.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »

And while packing, I went ahead and imported a couple of the Ella Fitzgerald Song Book discs into iTunes.  Arlen, Rodgers & Hart, Berlin and Duke Ellington.  I'll take care of the rest of the box set at a later date.

OH!  While importing the discs, I noticed that the Cole Porter set is missing from my box set!  -However, I have a pretty good idea who has it... and shall e-mail her shortly!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2005, 09:46:24 PM »

....And while Ms. Fitzgerald serenades me with Ellington tunes...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2005, 10:21:55 PM »

Even though I live here, I told Jose last night that I'm going on that walking/eating/talking tour in October with you guys. Hope y'all don't mind!

Jason

« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2005, 10:22:25 PM »

DR Jose: Have a safe trip upstate!! See you in three weeks...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2005, 10:27:25 PM »

I just had me a marvelous treat - a one hour massage (she threw in an extra ten minutes gratis).  I feel marvy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2005, 10:29:54 PM »

It's been a long day. I am tired.

It's not much of a post, but it's a post, nonetheless.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2005, 11:46:56 PM »

A quiet day and a quiet night.
Are people still out there with there trivia searching books etc?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2005, 12:04:00 AM »

I gotta tell you, I've never seen such a bunch of WUSSBURGERS in my life!  It's Saturday night, for God's sake - it's partay night, a night to shake one's bootay, but not here - not in WUSSBURGER heaven.  Nooooo, our oldsters have to be in bed by ten or whatever.  Well, I'm up, baby, and I'm in the mood for Parchesi.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up