Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!  (Read 18919 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »

So, I've almost finished the harp part, I've ordered new dish towels and a new throw rug, and my apartment is starting to look semi-tidy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2005, 05:57:51 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Dance!! Dance!!! Dance!!!! PAGE 4 Dance! Dance!! Dance!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »

And so, good night, all!  Pleasant dreams.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »

So, I've almost finished the harp part, I've ordered new dish towels and a new throw rug, and my apartment is starting to look semi-tidy.
I hope they match the new shoelaces.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2005, 05:58:47 PM »

Since S IS FOR SILENCE has not yet been released, R IS FOR RICHOCHET is the most recently available Sue Grafton book.
There is a large difference between "most recently available" and "last," since the latter implies that there will be no further books.  

Der Brucer has been reading the series since it began, and has nothing but praise for Grafton's writing.  We've both been wondering, however, about Grafton's plans for her lead character, Kinsey Millhone: does she plan for Kinsey to reach the end of her rope when she reaches the end of the alphabet?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2005, 05:59:14 PM »

Goodnight DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2005, 06:00:22 PM »

'night, DR elmore.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2005, 06:02:17 PM »

Matt H you forgot the MONK spoiler.  ;D I’m glad it was a good episode.  We thought the previous one was so bad we turned it off.

Michael Shayne, LOL I was ready to find the book and read it.

DRLaura you looked beautiful last night.

Jose and Bruce, I enjoyed the numerous photos last night.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »

Quote from Bruce:
Jane, parking was hardly the problem with POP - the problem was that they let it go to seed, and with all those owners it's not surprising.

I agree, however, did you read the explanation on the link I posted?

“But in 1965 Santa Monica began its Ocean Park urban renewal project. There was wholesale demolition of nearby buildings and closing of streets leading to the park. The entire area was chaos while they built two large apartment towers nearby. In short, visitors couldn't reach the park and attendance plummeted to 621,000 in 1965 and 398,700 in 1966.”

Jane

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »

I will only say - don't be afraid to take a theatrical challenge.  I almost turned this show down because I didn't think I could do it.  I ended up doing some of my BEST worked ever, inspired by the music, the show, and the cast.

Crossing my fingers that our August 11th opening will prove me right!

This gave me a warm feeling-congratulations and I hope all goes well on the 11th.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2005, 06:21:40 PM »

Well, I just got back from callbacks, where I was auditioning to be Jed's father.  If I don't get it, I think I will be insulted.  

I start shooting (these are separate subjects) again at 6:00 p.m.  Both the producer and the director have asked for copies of my resume to take back with them to New York.

GOOD VIBES ON BOTH COUNTS!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2005, 06:35:26 PM »

If by the two towers they're speaking of The Shores, where I lived all throughout the 90s, they are much mistaken - the Shores wasn't built until 1970 or so.  And that's the only high rise that I know of in that area.  It most certainly wasn't built in 1965, and I'd doubt it took five years to build them - my memory is that they tore down everything on the east side of the boardwalk (including the St. Regis Hotel, where my grandparents lived) in 1969 to make way for The Shores.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »

Dear reader elmore sent me a lovely e-mail about the Guy Haines album.  And Mr. Harvey Schmidt called me to tell me he loved the album, and was pleased as punch with his two songs - he loved the renditions and really loved Mr. Boswell's playing of them.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2005, 06:41:01 PM »

I wouldn't know.  I only time I was in the area was to go to POP and I don't remember a problem getting there.

Michael

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »

BK:

I found info and a couple of publicity shots for The Bob Crane Show.

Now the only thing I can find about If I Had a Millon was a 1973 TV show. A pilot? Was this one?
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2005, 06:42:11 PM »

Welcome back François.  I enjoyed my tour of the castle and the grounds.
Your birthday memory is not dull at all.  It is very sweet and touching.

Pogue and Bruce you are keeping MBarnum with us in spirit.  :) I’m laughing as I picture him cutting a swath through the place.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 06:45:01 PM by Jane »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2005, 06:43:54 PM »

Speaking of birthdays, I've recieved a challenge for der Brucer's next, which is less than two weeks away.

Every year, for his birthday dinner, he likes to treat himself to either duck or lamb.  No, not lamb chops, but leg of lamb.  And he would like a half of a duck, thank-you very much, properly roasted and not just some slices of breast.

Last year, running through the list of restaurants here in Rehoboth, which is quite extensive, we came up with just one that served duck.  Alas, it was just slices of breast.  He was quite disappointed.

Just a few days ago, I came across a cookbook from Williams-Sonoma about the cuisine of New York.  We won't go into the detail that they were really writing about New York City, not the state, and limiting themselves to Manhattan, not the city as a whole.  And I still hold that NYC does not have a cuisine of it's own, instead borrowing from everyone else.

Well, there in the book was a recipe for duck, as prepared at the Four Seasons.  It read almost to the letter as part of a running joke that der B and I have, where you start the preparation several days before serving the dish.  Or, as der B would have it written, "Day One: Catch the duck!"

All the same, der B liked the recipe, which involves an orange sauce, a gingery marinade, and letting the duck dry out for a couple of days before roasting.  

Today, I made the mistake of asking him what he would like for his birthday.  "I want you to make that duck recipe," was his reply.  And our next stop turned out to be the gourmet foods shoppe here in town, where he ordered a duck for me to cook.

The Duck Follies has begun rehearsals!   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2005, 06:46:02 PM »

DR GINNY did you ever convince Charlie Brown that snow comes UP?

Nope, DR JRand, he became our city attorney and now he does all the convincing!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »

I don't remember POP at all, since my parents (meaning my mother) thought it had a "bad reputation" and wouldn't think of going there.

I do remember several trips to Marineland, however, which was quite fun.  I particularly remember one year, when my sister was wearing a very pretty dress that got soaked by one of the porpoises splashing about.

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »

Nope, DR JRand, he became our city attorney and now he does all the convincing!
"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, during this trial I will conclusively demonstrate that not only is the defendant a foul felon, but that snow comes up!"

(Headlines report that twelve jurors have been found banging their heads against trees, helping them grow.)

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, during this trial I will conclusively demonstrate that not only is the defendant a foul felon, but that snow comes up!"

(Headlines report that twelve jurors have been found banging their heads against trees, helping them grow.)

DR SWW - LOL  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2005, 06:55:15 PM »

Shayne, that was the one - it was a failed pilot movie of the week.  Peter Kastner was in it, and we got along famously (he used to come over to dinner, and he adored my daughter), and also Joseph Wiseman, with whom I played my sequence as I recall.  We shot it on the Santa Monica Pier.  The thing I remember most from that shoot was being whisked from location as soon as I wrapped, by limo, and taken directly to Universal in the Valley, where I looped all my dialogue right then and there.  They had a fascinating way of looping - not to picture at all.  They sent the Nagra tape back with the limo, and then they played my lines for me, and I repeated them in exactly the same way and in the same speed.  That way, you hear what you've just done, and you imitate it - always seemed like a clever way to do that.

Michael

« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2005, 07:03:04 PM »

Shayne, that was the one - it was a failed pilot movie of the week.  Peter Kastner was in it, and we got along famously (he used to come over to dinner, and he adored my daughter), and also Joseph Wiseman, with whom I played my sequence as I recall.  We shot it on the Santa Monica Pier.  The thing I remember most from that shoot was being whisked from location as soon as I wrapped, by limo, and taken directly to Universal in the Valley, where I looped all my dialogue right then and there.  They had a fascinating way of looping - not to picture at all.  They sent the Nagra tape back with the limo, and then they played my lines for me, and I repeated them in exactly the same way and in the same speed.  That way, you hear what you've just done, and you imitate it - always seemed like a clever way to do that.

Ok then it was Story #2 called The Searchers along with Joseph Wiseman was Rith McDevitt, Gerlad Hiken and Rae Allen. It was written by Robert Van Scoyk and directed by Daryl Duke.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 07:19:13 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2005, 07:14:23 PM »

I don’t have a single most memorable birthday.  There were numerous birthdays I was sick and there was my 18th birthday that was downright sad.  My 30th should have been great but we had just moved from California to New Jersey and I was homesick.  There was the birthday I spent in the hospital….no details needed on those.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2005, 07:14:52 PM »

BK, I realized when I got home I was confusing Shirley Eaton with Honor Blackman all day.  Nick must have thought I was crazy when I was talking about Pussy Galore.  It was Honor who was closed to forty when she did Goldfinger and was, at least, a few years ago writing beauty books for older women and was still looking good in her seventies.

For the record, the IMDB puts Shirley Eaton's birth year as '37 which would make her only 68.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2005, 07:15:47 PM »

My 16th birthday was very special with a lovely Sweet Sixteen party.  

My 21st birthday, the first one after we were married, was special.  Not because I turned 21 but because Keith made it special.  Our best friends were there and though Keith couldn’t afford to buy me a nice gift he got me something I really, really wanted-a bag of Devil’s Food Cookies.  

For my 40th Keith surprised me with a trip to Williamsburg, making up for once again moving me before a major birthday. :D

My 50th came close to being a real dud.  We once again had moved, this time to Ashland, and didn’t have good friends locally.  We were working hard getting the house in order and hadn’t had time to do our holiday shopping, nor had Keith had time to shop for my birthday, not even a card.  So on our first free day off to the mall we went to shop for the boys (really not my idea of a birthday celebration).  While walking around I stopped to admire a beautiful doll.  She now sits on our coffee table. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2005, 07:30:48 PM »

For those who need to know - Today/tomorrow (July 31st) is the birthday of Harry Potter.  Thanks to TCB for that information.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2005, 07:35:31 PM »

Sadly, Shirley Eaton looks a lot older than sixty-eight.  She looked older than Jane Withers, who's about ninety.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2005, 07:36:14 PM »

Good Evening!

...Back from spening a few hours with DRs Rodzinski and TPunk.  Oh!  And I also got to meet Kilbot and Walty too!

We all had a wonderful time - however, we did managed to get sucked into watching the last half or so of "Paparazzi".  UGH!  -Just how many cameos can there be in on movie?  And was Dennis Farina channeling Columbo?

;)

Ah, well...

There is more to post, but first I must pack.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2005, 07:36:20 PM »

I had a nice fortieth birthday - I was taken to Las Vegas for the day.

I've had several fun surprise parties, but haven't had a surprise party in over ten years.  Oh, well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up