Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!  (Read 18638 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »

I then watched the Jack Cardiff documentary ("Painting with Light") that was also wonderful. I had never seen it before.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »

I'm all out of Cherry Coke and I'm almost out of pudding. What am I going to do??
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »

And I thought you were just a girl who cain't say no!

Well that goes without saying.  :D

Off to Chicago!  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

What is this?  Is this a slow news day here on HHW?

Say it ain't so?!!??!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »

So... Since I've been gone, I made a trip down to Ripley-Grier; got in about 45 minutes of practice; headed back up to the apartment; found the Fed Ex package waiting for me!; then I had to head back down to 34th/Penn Station since I had to overnight (well, two-day) some stuff back to DC that was in said FedEx envelope... They accept Express Mail until 5:00pm on Saturdays (good deal); then I headed back up to the apartment... However, the A train seemed to stop a few times between stations due to "traffic" - added a good ten minutes to the trip back uptown...

Now, I'm back at my apartment, taking a little breather.  In a little while I shall be heading up to DR Rodzinksi's hood.  I called him as I was leaving the post office, "I need a drink!".   So, we shall be meeting for drinks and perhaps some foodage.

And that's my post, and I'm sticking to it!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:58:45 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »

...And since I realized that I had had NOTHING to eat so far today, I just finished off the rest of the Red Velvet Cake I bought last night at Magnolia.  Hmmm, Hmmm, Good!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2005, 02:42:36 PM »

I guess everyone is out researching!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2005, 02:49:47 PM »

Ginny, you played Lucy in YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN?  I did, too, not professionally, but in the Camp Loyaltown production.  It was an all-boys camp, I was 13, and I was the only one who auditioned who had the notes, apparently.  (By the time we opened, though, some of the notes were a little shaky.)

Notes?  There were notes?  All of mine were shaky, as I'm no singer, but DR elmore had great patience with me.  One of the next times he cast me was as The Mute in The Fantasticks, which suited my vocal capabilities much better!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:50:31 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2005, 02:53:55 PM »

Good  news for JRand - being on the right track.

It's difficult to compete with the joyous news from Mr TCB though. To think we knew him when.....
I guess even the cyber kids are being pestered for autographs etc. WONDERFUL.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:55:31 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2005, 02:59:05 PM »

Well, I just got back from callbacks, where I was auditioning to be Jed's father.  If I don't get it, I think I will be insulted.  

I start shooting (these are separate subjects) again at 6:00 p.m.  Both the producer and the director have asked for copies of my resume to take back with them to New York.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:59:42 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2005, 03:00:24 PM »

Now that I'm home to my high-speed internet connection (Mom has dial-up  :P), I've enjoyed everyone's photos from last night.  DR Jose, will you take us to Magnolia Bakery in October?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2005, 03:01:29 PM »

I start shooting (these are separate subjects) again at 6:00 p.m.  Both the producer and the director have asked for copies of my resume to take back with them to New York.[/size]

Omigawd!  A New Yawk Stah!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 03:01:48 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »

Well, I just got back from callbacks, where I was auditioning to be Jed's father.  If I don't get it, I think I will be insulted.  

I start shooting (these are separate subjects) again at 6:00 p.m.  Both the producer and the director have asked for copies of my resume to take back with them to New York.

I'll put my visit to Seattle/Tacoma plans on hold.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »

I always suspected it, DRTCB!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »

Back from the Ray Courts Show with BK and Nick Redman.  What a dud!  The star turnout was very sad, though...because they've advertised in places they never had before...the fan turnout bigger than last time.

I don't know what's causing the decline, if not the death-knell, of this show...it could be the quality of celebs, the absence of a lot of memorabilia dealers who were there in the Beverly Garland days, the upping of the admission price or lesser celebrities charging inflated prices for their autographed pix.  

Despite the show's lack of luster, I did manage to score a lovely Belgian Poster of Captain Blood for $150, met DR MBarnum who was cutting a swath through the place getting autographs and setting up interviews and film historian David Del Valle, a friend of BK's and Nick's and is an abolutely delightful and amusing fellow. Mr. Del Valle thinks the internet may have something to do with the decline of the show...All bigger stars are getting websites and so can do all the wheeling and dealing and signing antiseptically without ever meeting fans face-to-face.

In any event, the company was fun and we had a good time.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2005, 03:39:05 PM »

MattH, I'm very pleased you liked Veronica Mars so much.  

I am only up to episode 11 (of 22). But if the show on UPN is one of the ones i've seen i can update you.  Or check out this episode guide below:

http://www.tv.com/veronica-mars/show/24272/episode_guide.html

François de Paris

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »

I know it's a 5 year old article but, for those like me who've never read it, I thought it's nice to share that interview of BK's friend and one of my favourite musical theater stars, Susan Watson:

http://broadwaybeat.com/michael/mbswatsn.htm

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2005, 04:23:02 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com???

Let us get off our complacent butt cheeks and get some life around here, shall we?  We must not have July end with a thud like a dud.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

I've actually only met Susan Watson - I don't really know her.

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2005, 04:52:23 PM »

Anyway....

Everybody Loves The Saturday Night!

No real big birthday memory (or -ries!) for me; we've never been big on Birthdays in my family, so....

Well, please correct that! I do remember one when I was 12 (MANY years ago!!)

There was that special book, I had seen in the down town bookshop, that my mom got me and I was thrilled to pieces... because I rarely got presents or toys and seldom asked for anything... and I had forgotten about THE book!...
It was the only book of pics that was ever published in France on Disneyland, strangely titled "Le Pays de Disneyland".
I know it'll sound dull to most of you but that's one memory I cherish!
I still have that book, of course, and even found another copy at a big flee market here in Paris some years ago and ... got it!
Ain't that sickening?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2005, 05:06:13 PM »

The Ray Courts show, as Pogue said, was dreary beyond belief.   Except for the ongoing banter between Pogue, Redman, and BK (and David Del Valle when we met up with him) it was just really mediocre.  It's not that there weren't some fun people there, but there seemed to be a pall over everything, for reasons I think have to do with the fact that Ray's particular hand may have simply played itself out.  

The vibe at the Garland hotel was much better - here the celebs are so spread out (including several that were really in no man's land - where no one was visiting them - we were there for four hours and in that time I saw no one, not one single person visiting Tommy Sands or Michael Callan.  

I did have a sweet conversation with the original Tabitha, Erin Murphy.  She is a beautiful woman, I must say.  I also saw my old pal Leslie Easterbrook, whom I hadn't seen in quite a while.  Leslie was in the second production of my very first musical, Start at the Top, the same production in which Michael Burns and Donna Baccala were in.  Little known factoid: When we moved the show for the third production, in the cast were two complete unknowns - Eric Michael Gillette and Cameron Mason.  Eric went on to great success as the singing ringmaster for the Ringling Bros/Barnum and Bailey circus for almost two decades, and Cameron (Rick) Mason left my show and just a year later took part in what was the first "workshop" of a musical ever done - A Chorus Line.  He stayed with the show through the Public and right on to Broadway.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2005, 05:07:29 PM »

MBarnum seemed like he was having a high old time.  He ended up lunching right at the next table - we would have had him with US for lunch, but one simply couldn't ever locate him, so quick on his feet was he.  I met Laurie Mitchell, who was very sweet, and Nick and I had a nice chat with Shirley Jones.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2005, 05:09:40 PM »

Shirley Eaton looked really old - some memories are best left untouched by the ravages of time.

Jane Withers, on the other hand, looked GREAT.

Several Bond girls were there, including Maud Adams, and Gloria Hendry.  Gloria looks swell.  We saw Luciana Paluzzi - she still looks pretty good, too.  The biggest celeb there was Mickey Rooney - he had a consistent line of people, but nothing like the lines of old at the Garland.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2005, 05:14:02 PM »

I am staying in this evening - finishing Varan the Unbelievable, which is just a weak rehash of Godzilla, by the same team.  Then maybe I'll watch Dogora, Monster from Space, and then maybe the Japanese film Crazy Fruit.  We shall see.

No one mentioned it, I think, but Robert Wright passed away a few days ago.  Walter Willison, who was very close to Bob and his partner, Chet Forrest, told me the night he came over.  I worked with Bob and Chet when I recorded their Anastasia Affaire.  Walter later coerced me into performing in a reading of their musical Betting on Bertie, back in 1992, I think.  Bertie was based on the Wodehouse Jeeves stories, and I played someone called Pongo Pilkington.  Others in the cast were Christopher Hewitt as Jeeves (Chris and I really got on), Judy Kaye, Loni Ackerman, and a couple of Walter's compatriots from Grand Hotel.  The best part of doing the reading was watching Bob and Chet, just beaming, as we'd sing their songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2005, 05:15:07 PM »

I wonder if MBarnum will find his way to a computer?  I wonder if a computer will find its way to MBarnum.  That's why laptops and iBooks are wonderful.  If he does, he should e-mail me about having a wee get-together before he leaves.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2005, 05:23:15 PM »

We watched Bertolucci's "1900" last night. Well we watched 950. Other half tonight  Amazing (if flawed) piece of film making. I'm hoping to watch Visconti's "The Leopard" before too long.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2005, 05:32:07 PM »

No one mentioned it, I think, but Robert Wright passed away a few days ago.  Walter Willison, who was very close to Bob and his partner, Chet Forrest, told me the night he came over.  I worked with Bob and Chet when I recorded their Anastasia Affaire.  Walter later coerced me into performing in a reading of their musical Betting on Bertie, back in 1992, I think.  Bertie was based on the Wodehouse Jeeves stories, and I played someone called Pongo Pilkington.  Others in the cast were Christopher Hewitt as Jeeves (Chris and I really got on), Judy Kaye, Loni Ackerman, and a couple of Walter's compatriots from Grand Hotel.  The best part of doing the reading was watching Bob and Chet, just beaming, as we'd sing their songs.

I sort of mentioned it earlier; I couldn't remember which one had died this week.  I believe he died on wednesday.  He and Chet were great guys.  I was supposed to score Betting on Bertie, and along came Sir andrew's turkey.   I'll never get a Broadway show!  Never!!

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »

DH Richard and DS Rob and I went back over to the Greek church for dinner again tonight.  Last night we ate "formal" inside, tonight we just had gyros and salad in the outdoor food court.  The weather is delightful here this weekend, very comfortable in the shade.

Tomorrow, we're going (along with my mom) to this year's Summer Youth Theatre production of Anything Goes.  Several of Rob's friends are in it, so it should be fun.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2005, 05:47:41 PM »

Good news, JRand!  I think you justly deserve a lot of praise.
...my kids are NOT dancers....4-H kids, college MUSIC majors, high schoolers who think FOOTLOOSE is the BEST MUSICAL EVER!...
This doesn't surprise me.  The film and subsequent musical touch on a lot of what is happening in their lives.  Better to use them as a starting point.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2005, 05:55:11 PM »

Still on page 3?  I'm about ready to crash, but I do what I can to move us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up