Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT OF CZECHS  (Read 35868 times)

MBarnum

Re:OUT OF CZECHS
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »

Friday I arrived in Burbank and checked into my hotel around 4:30 pm. I then went to the convention center where the dealers in movie memorabilia were setting up tables and visiting each other...Friday you are also able to shop at the tables, which I did for a few hours.

Then I ate some dinner and took the elevator to my 4th floor room. As the elevator openned there was Laurie Mitchell...she had been searching for me for a couple of hours! LOL! We went down to the lounge and drank Cranberry vodkas and talked and laughed until almost 11pm! A stunt man who she had met last time she was at the show came over and visited for awhile (he was sort of drunk!), also.

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2005, 10:18:31 AM »

Spoiler:

BB6...

thanks for the gentle reminder, DR Jennifer!

I totally forgot that what happened Saturday and yesterday  hasn't even been shown yet on network TV.

They delay these things so long...

Do you feel the show is becoming boring, despite the personalities?  

Everything is always the same.  Why a "nomination ceremony"?  Why not just tell the nominees who they are and be done with it?

And could some of those competitions be any more lame?

I think the public ought to be able to participate to some degree.

Perhaps the public should vote on which nominee gets evicted.

Or perhaps, if CBS decides to bring a player back, the public ought to be given the opportunity to choose which player.

It needs some mixing up.  Hopefully, this Thursday's "twist" will be something worthy of the theme "a summer of surprises"!  

Spoiler

Janelle said something to Kaysar about how she wished they hadn't changed the "some vetos will not be used" rule.  I don't know if that was a twist that they changed their minds about or what it is

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2005, 10:19:43 AM »

Previously on THE DUCK FOLLIES: I made the mistake of asking der Brucer what he wants for his birthday.  He wants duck for dinner.  He wants me to cook it.  And he's ordered the duck from the local gourmet shoppe.

What he really wants is Duck l'Orange.  I'd read him a recipe detailing how it is made at NYC's Four Seasons, a preparation that takes something like three days.

Well, this is all very well, I suppose, but I'm not one to settle for just one recipe to give me a guideline on what I'm supposed to do.  So I've been digging through my cookbook collection.  I not only have the Four Seasons version, I also have recipes from The Joy of Cooking, Julia Child's version in Mastering the Art of French Cooking (vol. 1), Anthony Bourdain's version, Craig Claiborne's version, James Beard's version, and notes on the sauce from James Peterson's Sauces.

It was finding Peterson's notes that made me realize that I'm dealing with two separate things here.  First, there's the roasting of the duck itself (no word as to whether I'm getting a he-duck or a she-duck).  The second part of the dish is the sauce.

Roasting, of course, involves several variables.  First, there's the weight of the item being roasted.  Second, there's the roasting temperature.  Then there's the question of whether one pricks the skin of the duck with a fork, to let out all that fat, or whether one scores the skin with a knife, in a cross-hatch pattern.  

Since I've used the cross-hatch scoring method before, in roasting beef and pork, I think this is the method I'll use.

There is one unusual technique that the Four Seasons uses that none of the other recipes call for: the Four Seasons ages their ducks in the refrigerator for three days before the actual roasting and serving.  This makes sense to me; if you've ever had a steak that has been aged by a fine steakhouse, you'll know the difference this aging can make.  Of course, this calls for having enough refrigerator space in which to do this aging.  Our main refrigerator is filled with condiments and cheeses and whatnots and everything else.  Fortunately, we've a second fridge downstairs, and that's where I'll be aging the bird.

Sauce?  That's going to take more study.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2005, 10:19:48 AM »

I didn't take your post lightly.

I don't know that anyone here other than MBarnum, you and I watch BB6 with any degree of regularity.  

But we have lurkers who seldom post.  

I think we should always post "BB6 LIVE FEED SPOILERS" and then just talk about the feeds if we want.

I watch and I've tried to at least say Spoiler before the posts I get from the live feeds

Jason

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2005, 10:20:51 AM »

What does the machine do?  And how big is the mask?

The machine blows a constant, pressurized flow of air up your nose and down the back of your throat, effectively keeping your air passage open so you can breathe. It prevents snoring and, more importantly, keeps your air passage from collapsing, which causes you to stop breathing (apnea).

The mask covers your nose and extends up to your forehead. It's not attractive, but if it helps, who cares?!?!

Here's a picture (the yarmulke is optional):
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:33:33 AM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2005, 10:22:31 AM »

Saturday morning Laurie's neice arrived and the 3 of us headed down to the convention center to set up the table with Laurie's photos and her QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE poster.

The table was wedged in a corner next to Shirley Jone's massive castle of a table and Rex Reason's table. We did not think it was a very good spot as no one would be able to even spot Laurie through the crowd that was likely to be around Ms. Jone's table.

Ray Courts came over and gave Laurie a big hug and said we could move over to the other wall, near Mickey Rooney...well, Laurie liked the table right next to Mickey's and so she took Ann Robinson's name off that table (she hadn't arrived yet) and put it on another table with some other actress! LOL! It was rather funny!

Laurie's neice and I set up the table and hung the poster and got Laurie settled in. Laurie's neice, named Lori, is about my age or maybe older, and we hit it off right away! She runs an antique jewelry business in Burbank and is just the nicest gal in the world.

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2005, 10:22:48 AM »

The machine blows a constant, pressurized flow of air up your nose and down the back of your throat, effectively keeping your air passage open so you can breathe. It prevents snoring and, more importantly, keeps your air passage from collapsing, which causes you to stop breathing (apnea).

The mask covers your nose and extends up to your forehead. It's not attractive, but if it helps, who cares?!?!

Here's a picture:

My question is how on earth do you sleep with that contraption up your nose?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2005, 10:24:46 AM »

Today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2005, 10:24:57 AM »

Oh, wait, it isn't up your nose, it's a mask.....never mind
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:25:13 AM by Cillaliz »

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2005, 10:25:14 AM »

About this time people started arriving...a lot of celebrities didin't arrive until later, some not until after noon!

By the way, Shirley Jones looks fabulous! I don't think she has aged in the last 35 years!

Mickey Rooney, however, was quite grumpy and really should not have been there. His son was there helping out and he looked like a younger Mickey...but with LOTS of tatoos!

Jason

« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2005, 10:26:54 AM »

My question is how on earth do you sleep with that contraption up your nose?

It doesn't really go UP your nose - just OVER it. The air blows up your nose, though. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as you'd think it would be.

Actually, it was kind of fun! If you open your mouth while the machine's turned on, you make Darth Vader-like noises. I kept myself amused for a couple of hours with that the other night while I tried to fall asleep. :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2005, 10:27:52 AM »

Here's a picture:

Is it noisy?  And what if your natural habit is to sleep on your side?  Most importantly, how would one "spoon" on their way to slumberland?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2005, 10:28:27 AM »

Welcome home, Mike! I'm glad you had a good trip. And yes, Shirley does look good. I met her backstage at 42nd STREET - she's a hoot!

Jason

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2005, 10:29:58 AM »

Is it noisy?  And what if your natural habit is to sleep on your side?  Most importantly, how would one "spoon" on their way to slumberland?

CPAP makes less noise than an oscillating fan. It's very quiet.

You can sleep on your side with no problem. The hose that hooks up to the machine is 6 feet long. Spooning, on the other hand...I'm guessing you'd have to be on the inside so you didn't poke the other person in the back of the head...!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:31:16 AM by Jason »

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2005, 10:31:12 AM »

It doesn't really go UP your nose - just OVER it. The air blows up your nose, though. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as you'd think it would be.

Actually, it was kind of fun! If you open your mouth while the machine's turned on, you make Darth Vader-like noises. I kept myself amused for a couple of hours with that the other night while I tried to fall asleep. :)

LOL! That sounds like fun...

vixmom

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »

Today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day!

thank you!!!! My urge for that wonderful concoction has been explained and better yet... I can now feel justified in breaking my diet.. I am honoring a National proclamation!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »

When I worked in a bar/restaurant on the water the owner deided one hot day that we needed to put ice cream sandwiches on the menu.  She bought boxes of neopolitan ice cream slices and boxes of frozen waffles... and we would toast two waffles and put the slice of ice cream in between and RUN to the table to get there while the waffle was still hot and the ice cream still frozen....  a ice cream sandwich sundae (which had to be eaten with a knife and fork) had chocolate sauce, whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries   on top......

I'm hungry!!!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »

I excused myself and went on my autograph shopping spree! I got many autographs and met some really fun individuals! I set up 4, and possibly more, future interviews, also!!

The prices at the dealer tables have gone up a lot since I was there last...8x10 photos were going for around $10 each, on average...but looking around I did find a few bargain boxes where I could search through piles of 1990s movie photos and found a few good old movie stills for cheap...but you had to really work for it!

Whilst digging away at movie merchandise I ran across BK, Charles Pogue and Nick Redman. We chatted for a bit and I took a nice photo of the 3 of them (which I will post when I am able to). BK had my CD in his car and promised to bring it by later, which he did.  

It was great getting to meet Charles and Nick. I had known Nick had a great sense of humor from hearing him on the First Nudie commentary, and I was very pleased to find that Charles P. is also quite witty. Now, I had always thought of Charles as being a bit of a grumpy curmudgeon, and perhaps he is...but, he is also a lot of fun, judging from my brief encounters with him on Saturday! I really regret that I did not get to spend more time with those three guys during my time in Los Angeles! I would most certainly have been out of my league, but I know I would have been greatly entertained!

And by the way CP and BK, I never did find those Bollywood posters! Me thinks someone was pulling my leg!  ;)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2005, 10:40:23 AM »

So I discovered a coyote pup roaming around my back deck this morning.  He was constantly chewing his fleas and had a bloody bare patch on his back...some sort of mange, I expect.  I chased him away.  He was back shortly with a litter mate.  When I shot the bolt on a window to open it up, they darted off.  I called the Animal Control Center and was holding for over twenty minutes.  Then there was a ring and silence.  I think I was cut off after all that time.  One of them is now back.  I wonder if I have a litter living under my deck.

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2005, 10:41:38 AM »

CPAP makes less noise than an oscillating fan. It's very quiet.

You can sleep on your side with no problem. The hose that hooks up to the machine is 6 feet long. Spooning, on the other hand...I'm guessing you'd have to be on the inside so you didn't poke the other person in the back of the head...!

Hmmm, I'm the inside spoon......and I just know he'll make those Darth Vader noises,  its just like him......

what a quandry... do I continue to urge him to look into this so HE can sleep and breathe or do I not,  so I can?   ??? ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2005, 10:42:54 AM »

BIG BROTHER 6 SPOILERS:

DR Cillaliz:  My apologies for not including you in the HHW group of BB6 watchers...now I know better.

That said:  I don't have a clue what Janelle was talking about concerning the use of the veto.

I know that there was once just a regular veto which, when used, did NOT grant immunity to the person using it (i.e., that person COULD be nominated in the place of the person he or she saved).  They then introduced the "Golden Veto" that saved the nominee from being nominated in the place of the saved person.

Since then, all the vetos have been golden ones.

The veto is, of course, a major threat to an HOH...he or she does not want his or her nominees saved, so there is an "understood" prohibition attached to the use of the veto.

This season, though, Kaysar wanted the veto to be won by his alliance so that James could be saved and Eric could be nominated.  And I'm certain Maggie and her ugly-on-the-inside alliance forgive Sarah for using it to save her "boyfriend" James.

I've just looked at the Canoe site and see that Julie will announce the "twist" this Thursday...and it will be that the public will ge given a vote that will affect the game.  No details yet available on what that will be about.  As long as it's not to choose who gets a telephone call, a night on the town or a letter.  They're calling it "America's Choice," the but announcement does day it have an effect on the game.  So.....

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »

So I discovered a coyote pup roaming around my back deck this morning.  He was constantly chewing his fleas and had a bloody bare patch on his back...some sort of mange, I expect.  I chased him away.  He was back shortly with a litter mate.  When I shot the bolt on a window to open it up, they darted off.  I called the Animal Control Center and was holding for over twenty minutes.  Then there was a ring and silence.  I think I was cut off after all that time.  One of them is now back.  I wonder if I have a litter living under my deck.

Not to worry, DR SWW is on his way!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2005, 10:46:09 AM »

Saturday I went to dinner with Laurie, Lori, and more relatives of Laurie's...all from her first marriage to Larry White...her cousin Sue and spouse Arthur from Holmby Hills, her cousin Elliott from San Diego, her neice Elaine and her partner Grady from San Clemente all come into town and we had martini's at the lounge at the hotel and then went to a wonderful Italian place in Tolouca Lake. Laurie, Lori, and I had ravioli stuffed with crab and lobster! Oh, my that was tasty. Sue had ravioli stuffed with pumpkin, and the others had some sea food type dishes.

All of Laurie's relatives had been kids during the 50s and 60s and grew up with Laurie as their aunt/cousin Mickey (everyone calls Laurie, Mickey). They all adore her! And they all made me a part of the family...it was like I had known them all of my life! I had so much fun!

Elaine and Grady invited me to come to their house that is being built in San Clemente next time I am down and Elaine will make a big Jewish feast just for me

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »

It sounds like you had a wonderful time Mike!  I am looking forward to your pictures

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »

DR SWW... do you stuff the duck's cavity with quartered oranges in any of your recipes?

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »

Ok, I am running out of time! But I wanted to let BK know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Guy Haine's CD! I popped it into the car CD player when I drove down the winding road that is called Laurel Canyon! It was a beautiful drive and the music fit perfectly! I listened to it 4 or 5 times that day!

I stopped in at Mickey Hargitay Jr.s plant store in Hollywood. Mickey Jr. was not there, but his partner was and he let me know that Mickey Sr. is doing very well since his heart attack....he just needs to take it easy!

Carolyn Kearney is also doing well after her heart attack and by-pass in December...she lost a lot of weight, but she still looks good and was a wonderful host when I visited her home on Monday morning. I had coffee with Carolyn, her husband Al, and dog Koda who is a huge Irsh setter.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2005, 10:50:46 AM »

So I discovered a coyote pup roaming around my back deck this morning.  He was constantly chewing his fleas and had a bloody bare patch on his back...some sort of mange, I expect.
More likely it's those danged fleas.  An infestation can cause a dog, or coyote, to eat away at the area until the skin is bloodied.  Mange causes bald spots, but doesn't itch normally.

If the pups are hanging around your deck, you're going to need to have the place fumigated.  No need for your own pup to have fleas...or yourself and your lovely wife!

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2005, 10:51:19 AM »

Ok, time is about up. I will post more later in the week...I must now check my e-mails and whatnots....and I still need to catch up with this weekends posts!

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »

also-- what is the difference between aging meat/poultry and just letting it hang around in your fridge a few days? And if you buy your meat from the grocery is it already considered aged?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2005, 10:51:44 AM »

Hmmm, I'm the inside spoon......and I just know he'll make those Darth Vader noises,  its just like him......

what a quandry... do I continue to urge him to look into this so HE can sleep and breathe or do I not,  so I can?   ??? ;D
Or you could just go with the whole fantasy thing and...

;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up