Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN  (Read 32830 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2003, 09:04:25 AM »

It was the 1983 Tonys (MY ONE AND ONLY/CATS year) when the Uris changed to the Gershwin. The name was in honor of both George and Ira.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2003, 09:06:20 AM »

Does anybody still wear a hat?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2003, 09:09:53 AM »

LOL, thanks, Kerry...I try!

Just call me Musical Theatre Barbie.  :P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2003, 09:10:37 AM »

Only when I have a bad hair day.   :)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2003, 09:34:29 AM »

Good morning/afternoon all,

I hope this finds with having had a restful nights sleep and you a bright eyed and bushy tailed.  Unless you had you tail bobbed but hey, that’s more then I need to know!

What a beautiful morning.  Not cold at all.  Just a very pleasant, comfortable temperature.  Maybe I won’t have to move to Florida after all.    :D

I fear I read last nights posts but I didn't obliviously didn’t comprehend them.  I didn’t realized Miss Hannigan had passed away until I popped over to the other board (BWW) just after I left here.  I was/am very sorry to hear this.

Is it just me or has the world seemed to have gotten so much smaller this year?  So many wonderful people gone.  In my case not just “stars/personalities” I’ve know and loved on the screen or through music but family members as well.  

So, When are we having recipe day?  I warn you, some of the software I bought yesterday were cookbooks on a disk.  The Joy of Cooking, One MILLION recipes, and the Campbell’s Soup All American cookbook were three of the disks/programs I chose.  I can’t wait to try some of the recipes out.  They look so good on the screen.  Too bad I can’t print or download them out, fully cooked and ready to eat.  Maybe someone should work on that.   Wouldn't that be great?  Yum!

I guess that brings me to a topic--what is your favorite food and what is your least favorite food?

Had to choose, I know.  At least the favorite part.  I like soooo many things.  Steak and chicken top the list.

The least favorite side is easy.  Seafood and  liver top the list.  Y U C K!  

Must run but will check back later.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2003, 09:38:06 AM »

To answer JRand53, no, I don't wear hats but the picture I was going to post of myself has me with a hat because we did a Easter Bonnet contest at work.  If I could ever figure out how to put a picture in the post, I would show you.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2003, 09:47:56 AM »

LOL....sorry you didn't get the software you needed DR Danise....have you checked Amazon.....they have a link to used software as well and sometimes you can pick up a bargain there.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2003, 09:55:19 AM »

Good morning/afternoon everyone!

My apologies for being e & t yesterday - it was the first entire day in a VERRRRY long time that I didn't have to force myself to churn out a paper or two or five.  I put a chain lock on the computer and danced and frolicked outside instead :)

BK - you didn't mention chat in your notes today... I'm guessing it's going to be tomorrow then?

Craig
- I'm guessing that work yesterday was miles of fun and excitement based on your one line post re: crashing into bed

Jason - What are you doing to celebrate your birthday? Apart from donning pantaloons of course.  :)

Danise - my favorite food changes based on my current mood.  Right now it is undeniably mexican fajitas.  I am CRAVING fajitas!!!  My least favorite food remains peanut butter.  I am very mildly allergic and very phobic of peanuts which it turns out is actually not that unique a situation.  The fear of peanuts is known as "arachinophobia"

Andrea: When do you want to go see The Bible: The Complete Works of God (Abridged)? This coming weekend or the one after? (My Sister) Jennifer an her boyfriend Dave both have said they want to go too...

Wow. It appears I've made my very own Ask DR Day   :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2003, 10:30:08 AM »

Favorite food, bar none, for me is a nice stuffed flank steak. Which is really odd, because I will next state that red meats are not on my list of favorites - - you can take you pot roast, your broiled steaks, your standing rib roasts, with me around, there'll be more than enough.

Also I like a great Greek Pizza, positively drenched in olive oil and garlic, throw on a few sliced tomatoes, and yummy!  If you're adventurous like me, you can toss on some sweet Italian sausage and some anchovies. . and it's even yummier.

What's everyone's favorite vegeatble, while we're on the subject?

I think that mine is either a portabello mushroom, or something in the squash or zucchini family.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »

mmm... mushrooms....
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Andrea

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2003, 10:37:07 AM »

Good morning/afternoon everyone!

The fear of peanuts is known as "arachinophobia"

Amusing thing to do: Eating Reese's cups in front of Emily..

Um.. I think I'm having braveheart and beer next saturday, so we may have to do it around the 28th.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2003, 10:39:09 AM »

I had a glorious night's sleep, exactly what I needed.  I did not wake up once - I went to bed at 12:30 and got up at 10:15.

There may not be many posts as of yet but what there is is cherce, that much I can tell you.  But, that doesn't mean we want to have the Sunday blahs and blues.  I wrote the notes so late last night that I actually forgot about chat.  We certainly can do it tomorrow at six, but I'm also happy to do it this evening at six.  Let me know your thoughts, and don't forget to post away like mad nymphs under a waterfall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2003, 10:57:48 AM »

What, no one has a clue how to make a topic?  We could have a dress call, we could have a smiley contest, we could talk about our breakfasts, we could talk about the Gypsy in our souls - get off the old butt cheeks and let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2003, 11:06:07 AM »

You know, from the standpoint of a lay person, the movie "Gypsy" can be a total revelation.

My idea of a "lay person" is someone who was unfamiliar with the Broadway production.  In 1962, when the movie was issued, I was stunned, transported and totally mesmerized by the movie "Gypsy."  I had also seen, and loved, "The Music Man," which seemed to be on everyone's lips as THE musical of the year and a great success.  

I've not understood, in all these years, what kept folks out of the theaters showing "Gypsy," though.  After all, it was the life story of the most famous stripper of them all.  The problem, I'm guessing, is that the folks who'd find that most appealing (men) also heard it was a musical and stayed away in droves.  And because of the subject, they didn't want to take their wives and girlfriends to see it, either.

It had nothing to do with whether they simply couldn't accept a "Gypsy" without Merman.  Merman couldn't pull them into theaters, either.

At any rate, the movie has been with me all these years.  I got it on VHS in its first availability and then on laserdisc.  I've collected all the albums BUT the Daly but the soundtrack is my favorite recording.  Not having "seen" Merman in "Gypsy" I don't have any special associations of her in it, but I deeply respect her originating the role of Mama Rose and I love listening to the cast recording.

But it's "Rose's Turn" on the soundtrack that really blows all the whistles and rings all the bells for me. The advantage of the movies is that the singer doesn't have to do all that powerhouse singing in one take.  Oh! Yes! I admire Merman and Lansbury's peformances, but I love the one in the soundtrack for having the most oomph!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2003, 11:08:04 AM »

I, too, slept in, BK.  I think you got out of bed five minutes before I did.

I toyed with staying up when I fed my cat at 7 a.m.  And I tinkered with the notion of getting up at 8:15 a.m. when she woke me with loud yowling (probably telling me I'd be late for work -- confused because I had a holiday last week, and I was out of the house early yesterday doing chores).  Cats don't know from dates/days of the week.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2003, 11:09:55 AM »

BK:  You said you'd listened to your Lansbury "Gypsy" on CD.

Where did you get this CD?

I've been looking for it and all I end up with is nothing.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2003, 11:14:23 AM »

Yes, Emily, it's all you arachinophobiacs -- allergic-to-peanuts-folks -- that caused airlines to stop serving those wonderful packets of protein to inflight passengers.  Now we get those tasteless little baked thingies.

I always say SING OUT, LOUISE -- tell the stewardperson you are allergic and he or she will get you something else.

But the rest of us who adore and tolerate peanuts ought to be able to have a choice!

And that's what's wrong with the world today -- people keep taking our choices away!

(Thank you for your kind attention! :) )

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2003, 11:16:03 AM »

The next thing you know, supermarkets will stop selling "dairy" because lactose-intolerant people will complain that the garishly displayed cartons, plus eggs and cheese nauseate them and prevent them from having a pleasant shopping experience.

!!!!

:)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 11:17:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Emily

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2003, 11:21:36 AM »

Ron the Libertarian :) ...

I am actually with you on keeping the availability of peanuts open on flights, kindergarten playgrounds, etc if people are simply phobic of the unmentionable legume and not severely allergic like me.

I admit that my fear is irrational but some people really actually are unable to be in contact with the traces of peanut oil that start flying around when you munch on the nuts for health reasons so I understand why the steps in public places have been taken.  

However, I also think that the whole "no-peanuts" allowed thing also needs to consider the fact that many people who are VERY allergic to peanuts also have equal allergic reactions to sesame and corn products.  Just wait until you have a popcorn ban on playgrounds too...  

Emily

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2003, 11:22:37 AM »

okay that last statement came out weirdly...

I am NOT severely allergic to peanuts... I am simply phobic of them.  There we go... :)

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2003, 11:23:01 AM »

BK:  You said you'd listened to your Lansbury "Gypsy" on CD.

Where did you get this CD?

I've been looking for it and all I end up with is nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003F2A/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/103-7486013-5622243?v=glance&s=music
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jason

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2003, 11:28:20 AM »

Ron: The Lansbury GYPSY is available on CD all over the place. They have at least 10 copies of it on the shelves at Tower Records at Lincoln Center, which does you absolutely no good, so I don't know why I pointed that out to you. Anywho, I know you can get it on Amazon.com....here's the link:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003F2A/

Kerry: What's your favorite Natalie Wood movie? I only know a few, I'm afraid, and WEST SIDE STORY and GYPSY are the two that stand out the most in my mind. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS was pretty good, too, though I haven't seen it in years, and I'm embarassed to admit that I've never seen REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. :-\

I have to go do laundry now and face Sta. Lavadora. I don't like her and her dryer-stealing ways. Not one bit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 12:48:35 PM by Mr. Mark Bakalor »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2003, 11:28:29 AM »

Ask everyone question: Does anybody know of anywhere that Fields of Ambrosia has been produced?
And what about Night of the Hunter?
Seems to me there's a growing trend of musicals that ONLY exist on disc.

There was a time that having Dorothy Loudon in your cast meant a sure flop.  She joked about it herself, and then along came Annie.  I loved her performances on Broadway in Ballroom and Noises Off.  Wildly different roles, those.

And if I try to think of the greatest individual performances in a musical, I keep coming back to Tyne Daly in Gypsy.  She had the powerhouse energy and, especially, the monstrosity of the character down pat.  Mama Rose is really the King Lear of musical theatre roles.  To do it right, you can't be a "star" who is always caring about the audience loving you - and that's what's disastrous about Bette Midler's turn as Rose.

I like the film.  Haven't seen the current revival.

I did see that Bible Abridged show at the Edinburgh Festival.  Very funny stuff there.  Tell me more about the McGill Savoy group, if you can.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2003, 11:32:18 AM »

"Inside Daisy Clover" is one my favorite Natalie Wood films!

Jason

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2003, 11:34:22 AM »

DR Emily: I'm so sorry that I neglected to answer your question in my last post! How will I celebrate my birthday? With you fine people, of course! Actually, I will be working at MTI during the day, and since one of the full-time permanent employees there shares a birthday with me, I'll get to have a piece of cake. (If she didn't have her birthday on the same day, there would be no cake--I was told that by our office manager. I've been there nearly a year, but because I'm a temp, I would not warrant a cake or celebration of my own. That sucks.) After work, I suppose I'll come home and do what I normally do on a Weds. night--play computer games, watch movies and sing. I'm taking off work on Friday just because, and I think that day my friend Jennifer and I will be going to Benihana's for lunch, which is our favorite place to celebrate birthdays. Hers was in July, while I was away in PA, so we're going dutch and calling it even. I can't wait for that teriyaki chicken and hibachi steak! YUM!!

Thank you for asking. :)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2003, 11:34:50 AM »

I'm off my butt cheeks and posting, already!

I collect antique Evelyn Nesbit and Scarlet Pimpernel postcards and Forever Plaid headshots.

Last night, I had a baking accident. (Oh, a Sondheim reference!) I'm not really sure what happened to those cookies, but we had to throw the cookie sheets away. And the muffin pan. Don't ask. I think I added too much Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2003, 11:34:52 AM »

Emily:  Stay away from fried turkey -- it's deep-fried in peanut oil.  In fact, the turkey frying pots recommend peanut oil as the only oil that should be used because it tolerates the heat that needs to be generate for frying a turkey without burning the oil.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2003, 11:40:29 AM »

Emily: As a peanut-allergy sufferer, I feel your pain. Sometimes even the smell of peanut butter can make my throat start to itch and close up. I can eat peanuts in small amounts as long as they're part of something else--a candy bar, for example, is fine--but peanuts by themselves I can't do. I ate a bag of airline nuts one day and started having breathing problems on the plane! Talk about scary! When I was a kid, my preschool teacher gave us peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and my eyes completely swelled shut. She freaked out and I thought it was kind of neat. :) I love peanut butter, but I'm afraid it's no mutual admiration society.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2003, 11:41:56 AM »

We have topics here. We have JRand's topic about $1,000,000. We have a couple of food topics going and Gypsy and Natalie Wood and Miss Loudon seem to keep us talking.

I am wearing Old Navy red and black plaid lounge pants and a t-shirt as I take a break from working. I'm waiting for my sister to call. My feet were cold and I put on slippers then they got hot so I took them off but now they're cold again so I'll put them back on.

I love green beans and tomatoes. I also love peanuts and peanut butter and jelly. I love split pea soup.

I do not like green eggs and ham nor do I like beets. Beets make me cringe. Don't know why but I can't eat them. I've tried borscht (sp?) and it just makes me go "ewwwww" especially when someone puts sour cream in and it turns pink or very light lavender. I'm also not crazy about coconut. I think it's the texture. Liver is also a yuck food along with the other body filter, kidney. My grandmother came over from England as child and loved to have kidneys for Sunday breakfast. My father, consequently, also loved them, although he didn't make us eat them. My grandmother did though. Brains and tongue also do not excite me in a culinary way. I can eat meat but for some reason, the idea of eating the other body parts just doesn't set well.

I have the Lansbury Gypsy on tape but not CD. I should look for it.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2003, 11:43:56 AM »

Ron, only 24 to go. You are the top poster per the stats page. You even beat the esteemed BK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up