Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 32839 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 07:15:52 AM »

Happy NYC vibes to DR JOEY!

Congrats to DR FJL on becoming a FULL MEMBER!

DR MATTH - thanks so much for the SCOUNDRELS comments.  My cousin and her husband saw it last spring and loved it - and I thought the excerpt on the Tony Awards show was terrific.  For some reason, I had thought Leo Norbert Butz was a young kid!    Wrong!  What a great performance he must be giving if that "bit" is any indication.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 07:16:48 AM »

Diana Canova!  It's in the genes, you know!  Maybe she will sing "Careless Love" - nobody can sing that song like her MOM!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 07:17:30 AM »

PIPPIN full dress rehearsal-family picture night tonight!  I have some photos from rehearsal last night, maybe I will post one!

But first......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 07:18:48 AM »

Yes, she's back, and lovelier than ever!

Ladies and gentlemen, your ALLISON HAYES PICTURE OF THE MONTH FOR AUGUST!   :o

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 07:19:54 AM »

RE this week's trivia contest, I never would have known where to even start without the extra clue in this weekend's discussion.  I was sure the clue (something like think really big hit movie based on a really big hit musical) was a giveaway, at least for the main answer - I wonder if a lot of people figured out it was GREASE, but just didn't get the details.  The only other ones I could think of that fit that extra clue were SOUND OF MUSIC and (as a stretch) KING & I or FIDDLER.

I was so far off base it wasn't even funny.  I kept researching for touring companies that included Donna McKechnie, Tommy Tune, Suzanne Pleshette, Dustin Hoffman and Michael Mann.  Guess what?--there were none!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 07:20:19 AM »

I have been asked, in a personal message, why der Brucer has been so long E&T.

It has nothing to do with the people here at this board, at least not directly.

During the last election cycle, he decided to absent himself in order to avoid creating or getting into any arguements over politics, as he felt that this was not the place for such arguements.  Since then, he has been getting enough feedback on what goes on here from me, or so he says.

It could be fun if he were to pull the same stunt he did at another board, where he posted under a pseudonym which he kept secret even from myself.  The problem there was that, once the secret was discovered, everyone there thought that I had been in cahoots with him from the beginning (I certainly had not), which ruined the whole escapade for both of us.  Amazing how bitter some people can get about having a joke pulled, how instead of seeing the humor they insist that they have been "victimized."

Ah, well.  Time to get ready for work.  Laters, as the saying goes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 07:22:00 AM »

Wooo, Allison!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 07:24:56 AM »

I have been asked, in a personal message, why der Brucer has been so long E&T.

It has nothing to do with the people here at this board, at least not directly.

During the last election cycle, he decided to absent himself in order to avoid creating or getting into any arguements over politics, as he felt that this was not the place for such arguements.  Since then, he has been getting enough feedback on what goes on here from me, or so he says.

It could be fun if he were to pull the same stunt he did at another board, where he posted under a pseudonym which he kept secret even from myself.  The problem there was that, once the secret was discovered, everyone there thought that I had been in cahoots with him from the beginning (I certainly had not), which ruined the whole escapade for both of us.  Amazing how bitter some people can get about having a joke pulled, how instead of seeing the humor they insist that they have been "victimized."

Ah, well.  Time to get ready for work.  Laters, as the saying goes.
How was dear der B's birthday?  And whatever happened with the duck?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 07:28:10 AM »

Thanks for the Allison pic, JRand54! Ms. Hayes makes my day! (however I would love to see her on a weekly basis!)

Jason

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 07:54:38 AM »

I was way off on the trivia thing, too. I kept looking for a tour of HELLO, DOLLY! that involved Tommy Tune. Either way, the original tours of DOLLY! and GREASE! were before my time.  :D

TOD: I know I'll probably be mocked for this, but...THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is the show that hooked me on musical theatre. When we lived in England, my mom and dad took me to see Topol in FIDDLER and Richard Harris in CAMELOT and I slept through both of them (I could kick myself for that now), but hearing PHANTOM when I was 13 was what got me hooked. I've seen the show 9 times and it is still one of my favorites to sing, sing, sing. Is it the best show ever written? No...but it's very close to my heart. EVITA had a profound effect on me, too. CAROLINE, OR CHANGE moved me very much and SPELLING BEE opened my mind to a different way of creating characters that I hope will help me as an actor in the future. There's an off-B'way show called SLAVA'S SNOWSHOW that inspired me beyond belief. It's truly a breathtaking show if you go into with an open mind. I'm not big into clowning, but it sparked some sort of deep-down creativity that I hadn't experienced in a long time. Very inspirational and very funny. THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK and DOUBT really stirred up a lot of emotion for me, too.

I grew up watching movie musicals, so they definitely made an impact. "West Side Story," The Sound of Music" and "Fiddler" are my mom's favorites, so I saw them a lot. "Mary Poppins" and "The Wizard of Oz" make me feel like a kid again and "The Fox and the Hound" makes me weep every time I see it. Always up for a good cry, "Steel Magnolias" and "The Color Purple" get me every time, too. "9 to 5" makes me howl with laughter and "Guffman" gets my creative juices going, too. "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Misery" are my favorite scary movies - they both freak me out.

"The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" was the first book I can remember that ever made me cry because I didn't want it to end. I kept wondering what happened next... That had never happened to me before. I found myself getting angry, frustrated and elated over "Little Women" (How could so-and-so not end up with so-and-so!?! It's just not right!) and "Ethan Frome" moved me deeply. I couldn't put "Dracula" down, nor could I tear myself away from "The Color Purple."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 07:55:50 AM »

TOD:

PIPPIN and my repeated attendings certainly effected my theatrical sensibilities.  I learnt from this show more than any other that the stage magic one can do is limited only by one's imagination.

As much as I love the show, I sometimes wonder how adversely I was effected by A CHORUS LINE.  I remember once leaving a performance quite depressed because I believed that I could never do that.  "God, I'm a dancer--a dancer dances."  But I never learned how...

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD taught me what it takes to be a man (I often think, what would Atticus do?)  And FIELD OF DREAMS taught me that it's never too late to make connections with my father, no matter how long he's been gone.

-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2005, 08:07:10 AM »

Time will tell, DRMBARNUM.  Time will tell.

I am still pondering the TOD.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2005, 08:13:05 AM »

For those whose spelling talents are as abysmal as mine, check out the latest Google toolbar.  It now allows you to do spell checking anywhere you enter text on a web page.  Nifty and keen!
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2005, 08:14:57 AM »

Thanks again to everyone  for the good wishes on my becoming a Full Member.  I know Senior Member is a long way off, but at least it gives me something to aim for.  

DR Jason - As to those tours being before your time, well, as Rosie will soon be saying to Tzeitel at the Minskoff Theater:  "Shah! (spit, spit) Do you have to boast about your age?  Do you want to tempt the Evil Eye?"  :)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:18:26 AM by FJL »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2005, 08:25:02 AM »

Greetings all.

Sad to say that my long weekends are dwindling down.  Just 2 more to go.

Congrats to DRs FJL and Hisaka on their new statuses.

Today's topic is indeed an interesting one:

I know I have told the story before of sitting at the St. James after the curtain came down on the Merman company of DOLLY! -- my first Broadway show -- and thinking/saying "I want to do that!," with the "that" being fairly nebulous.  Thus, ending up in theatre/arts administration.  FALSETTOS affected me deeply.  I am sure there are other stage works that also altered my life, but those are the two that come to mind first.

Cinematically -- and I have never been one for the movies -- I can say that FAME had a great affect on me.  (I know that's sort of cheesy to say, but it was the right time, the right place, and I was the right age.)  IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (and like DR DtMwondering what Atticus would do, I often find myself recalling the sign in Doc Gower's candy store/pharmacy:  "Ask Dad, He'll Know" that sends George scurrying to his father's office to ask what to do about the poisoned capsules.  "It's poison, I tell ya!  It's poison!  It's not often my dad to whom I turn, but I know it's OK to ask for advice.)

As far as books go, definitely CATCHER IN THE RYE, and perhaps even moreso, SEYMOUR, An Introduction.  To some degree, Willa Cather's PAUL'S CASE (though I think the PBS version had a greater affect on me).  And Ethan Mordden's BUDDIES trilogy.  The Mordden books, in essence, taught me how to be a gay man.  

And Mary Tyler Moore.  I always wanted to be MTM/Mary Richards.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:27:16 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2005, 08:28:19 AM »

Yes, she's back, and lovelier than ever!

Ladies and gentlemen, your ALLISON HAYES PICTURE OF THE MONTH FOR AUGUST!   :o

Sometimes you don't know how much you've missed someone until they come back!

Thanks, DR JRand!

Jason

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2005, 08:36:04 AM »

DR Jason - As to those tours being before your time, well, as Rosie will soon be saying to Tzeitel at the Minskoff Theater:  "Shah! (spit, spit) Do you have to boast about your age?  Do you want to tempt the Evil Eye?"  :)

As I find myself careening toward 30, I have to take any chance I get to make myself feel young. :) And I don't tend to temp the Evil Eye. I generally give the Evil Eye, which may explain why I don't have a significant other....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2005, 08:46:05 AM »

Congratulations on your goddess status, DR Hisaka! The view from up here IS sensational, isn't it?  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »

I am running way, way, way (that's threeways for DR TCB's sake) behind this morning.

I don't really understand how this happened, but it's almost noon, and I'm just now writing my first posts on the site today. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2005, 08:53:18 AM »

Reading the book UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE and seeing the movie THE MIRACLE WORKER on ABC-TV convinced me that I did indeed want to be a teacher.

I'll bet I read Bel Kaufman's book twenty or thirty times, trying to savor every little crumb of humor and insight in what it is to be a first year teacher surrounded by students of all kinds and teacher as eccentric and unusual as their students.

And every bit of it was accurate once I became a teacher and went through my first year. I was a "floater" (no permanent classroom) my first year, too, due to having an extremely overcrowded school, just like Sylvia Barrett was in the book (Sandy Dennis had her own room in the film version).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 08:54:01 AM »

Sometimes you don't know how much you've missed someone until they come back!

Thanks, DR JRand!

LOL.  She sends you thanks!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2005, 08:55:34 AM »

I still have a bunch of shows to get through, recorded during my vacation, and I'd like to watch another THIN MAN while I'm at it. I'm saving THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY for the weekend, I think, once I've caught up on the TV I've recorded.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2005, 08:56:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I wrote the notes so late last night that I plum forgot to announce the cast album again.  I now have a big note sitting next to Ye Olde Computer, so that I will not plum or even apricot forget again.  If I do, someone come here and shoot me.

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2005, 08:58:22 AM »

I have a question for all you NYC theatre people....

Has it been common practice in the past for the  free theatre in Central Park to sell tickets to the free Shakespeare in the Park productions?

I received an email urging me to become a "sponsor" for  $100 and in return I would receive one reserved seat...  are they not simply selling the seats for $100 each?
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
SUPPORT SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK!
BECOME A SUMMER SPONSOR!
Each donation will reserve one seat and is 100% tax deductible!
Visit www.publictheater.org for more info.

TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA - THE MUSICAL
Adapted by John Guare & Mel Shapiro
Lyrics by John Guare
Music by Galt MacDermot
Based on the play by William Shakespeare
Directed and Choreographed by Kathleen Marshall
August 16-September 11

or I am an ignorant suburbanite (a huge possibility!)and this is the way its always done? :-X :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 09:06:33 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2005, 08:58:50 AM »

DR MATTH - thanks so much for the SCOUNDRELS comments.  My cousin and her husband saw it last spring and loved it - and I thought the excerpt on the Tony Awards show was terrific.  For some reason, I had thought Leo Norbert Butz was a young kid!    Wrong!  What a great performance he must be giving if that "bit" is any indication.

I really did like it very much indeed. Lithgow and Butz made a great duo, and it was all very smoothly done. Ran like a dream.

I am glad I was NOT a Tony voter because these shows all had such strong attributes, and I can see why the Tonys were spread around a bit this season. There were a lot of good things out there worthy of awards consideration.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »

As I find myself careening toward 30, I have to take any chance I get to make myself feel young. :)

Oh shaddup... some of us who are having trouble recalling 30 are feeling more decrepit by the minute
 ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2005, 09:00:30 AM »

And I still have two days' worth of posts to read here, so I'd better get crackin'.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »

Oh shaddup... some of us who are having trouble recalling 30 are feeling more decrepit by the minute
 ;D

I couldn't wait to turn 30! I was not all that enamored of my 20s. Once I got to 40, however, I want to go back to being 30 again. I could have used another decade to do my 30s again.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2005, 09:05:43 AM »

I couldn't wait to turn 30! I was not all that enamored of my 20s. Once I got to 40, however, I want to go back to being 30 again. I could have used another decade to do my 30s again.

Ah, to have the body I had at 25, the memory I had at 18 and the knowledge I have now.......

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2005, 09:07:40 AM »

I'm up, I'm at work and I'm online!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up