Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MACARONI AND CHEESE  (Read 31825 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:MACARONI AND CHEESE
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 06:51:36 AM »

I, for one, am sick and tired of the word faux.

DRD-T-M, I chose the word because of Michael John LaChiusa.  To me, it's one of those "decorator" words, like ecru, eggshell, taupe, etc.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 07:58:27 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

I actually got up around 8:00 - well, right at 8:00 - which, after talking with some other folks around here, seems to be some sort of WTF phenomenon.  Everyone gets up at 8:00 for some unknown reason.

I'm thinking it's due to the surprisingly heavy traffic down main street in the hours between 7:00 and 9:00am.  Lots of trucks and semis in that group.  Lots of engine and brake noises.

But still, sort of strange.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »

Safe travels to DR Joey.
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20:49 AM »

And the HOH competition on BB6 has ended.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 08:21:53 AM »

DRD-T-M, I chose the word because of Michael John LaChiusa.  To me, it's one of those "decorator" words, like ecru, eggshell, taupe, etc.

DR Elmore, I knew what you meant in your post and I didn't mean to point at you.  :)

I'm just sick of the use of this word in it's new disparaging context, particularly the way LaChiusa peppers his article with it.

There is a despicable poster in ratm who uses faux incessantly when "discussing" shows that he knows that I enjoy, such as The Producers, Hairspray and Spamalot.  He's like a three year old who has learned the word poop and he has to keep repeating it over and over hoping for a reaction from the adults.  Idiot...

Ask not faux whom the bell tolls, it tolls faux thee.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:28:43 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 08:40:29 AM »

A few things I will add to the review Jed posted last night...

One of the strongest elements of the show by far was the set design.  They were absolutely beautiful.  The transitions between the more abstract design of the show, and the extreme detail of the "show within a show" were wonderful.  If nothing else, I predict the show will get a Tony nomination in this category.  

I'll post more later when my brain is fully awake and functional :)

Jed

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

Can't believe I forgot to mention the set design!  Yes, quite good.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 08:41:56 AM »

More later when I'm fully awake and/or functional.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 09:02:25 AM »

More later when I'm fully awake and/or functional.

What are you two kids doing at night anyways?

:P

::)

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 09:03:05 AM »

Well... Off to rehearsal... And it looks like rain... Hmm...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 09:17:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: MENDACITY!

Sometimes, to mendacity, you have to tear part of it down.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 09:22:24 AM »

Back from the Seattle production of Princesses.  All in all, Ann and I enjoyed the show. ...Not a blockbuster by any means, but I think it'll fare pretty well.
But, would Michael John LaC approve of it?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 09:24:22 AM »

That was my biggest gripe about RENT (I had several): the volume was so ridiculously high that I honestly spent part of the show with my hands over my ears. I truly think I got damage from how loud it was cranked up when I saw it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 09:29:26 AM »

What a morning I've had (and it's now past noon). FInally finished R IS FOR RICOCHET (which I found had a great start and only a so-so, anticlimactic finish) and am eager to get to the William Mann biography of John Schlesinger. That will happen later today.

In the middle of my weight training, the phone rings and it's my ex-partner. We had had sort of a falling out a few months ago when he called me a "technoholic" (on hearing that I had bought a new HDTV), and he was calling to make amends. It was a too lengthy conversation which threw me behind on all the other activities I had planned for the morning.

Anyway, it's nice to be "friends" again, though we only touch base once or twice a year. But now I'm behind on everything.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005, 09:31:07 AM »

Because of that long conversation and needing to get cleaned up, I wasn't on the internet  much at all this morning, and I didn't have a scrap of food yet today. I had to run out to the store for a few things, and now my lunch is cooked, so I'm going to postpone any more blathering and go eat. Will come back later with my Friday Media Check.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2005, 09:31:33 AM »

I did NOT get any packages today, so I'm VERY unhappy about that, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2005, 09:32:36 AM »

And the HOH competition on BB6 has ended.....

No spoilers to offer?   :-[

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »

Faux-ing in love again -- never wanted to.
What am I to do?  Can't help it.
Love's always been my game, play it how I may;
I was made that way -- can't help it

Men cluster to me like moths around a flame
And if their wings burn, I know I'm not to blame.
Faux-ing in love again -- never wanted to.
What am I to do?  Can't help it.

(With appologies to Sammy Lerner & Frederick Hollander)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2005, 09:37:24 AM »

In my VCRs:  tapes to tape tonight's episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" as well as this morning's rebroadcast of last Sunday's "The 4400" for my sister.  I was supposed to tape it last Sunday but I forgot.  So it's all set up and ready to tape.

In my DVD player:  "ABBA In Concert!"   I just got this DVD yesterday.  I love ABBA! ;)

In my CD player at work:  I'll have to report back, once I get to work and see what I have.  I know that I have both of Guy Haines' CDs and both of Bernadette Peters' Carnegie Hall CDs and some other stuff.

Now I must shower and get my butt to work!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2005, 09:37:55 AM »

Okay, after I shower, I also have to get the rest of me to work...not just my butt. ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:38:34 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2005, 09:38:02 AM »

That was my biggest gripe about RENT (I had several): the volume was so ridiculously high that I honestly spent part of the show with my hands over my ears. I truly think I got damage from how loud it was cranked up when I saw it.
Ditto, to use another cliche.

Jason

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2005, 09:39:08 AM »

Good day, all...

Meine CPAP arrived yesterday at 2:00. I got to bed at 1. I used the machine. I took it off at one point, but I ended up putting it back on. I'm just not used to having something strapped to my head like that. No comments from the Peanut Gallery, please. ;) Anyway, I feel quite refreshed. I'm perky, I'm chatty, I'm not overly tired. It's a miracle!! My only complaint, really, is that the silly mask left big red marks on my forehead and around my nose and I had a pretty noticible crease across my cheek this morning from the velcro strap. It's a small price to pay, I guess.

Our office is closing up at 3:00 again today. I think I'll go home and nap with the CPAP just for scheisses and giggles. :)

DR Kerry: My friends have very much enjoyed "If I Loved You." Many of them have never heard me sing before. I'm happy that you had a good enough take of it to use it on the disc. I'm honored to be a part of it!!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »

No spoilers to offer?   :-[

See how safe secrets can be with me?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2005, 09:42:39 AM »

My only complaint, really, is that the silly mask left big red marks on my forehead and around my nose and I had a pretty noticible crease across my cheek this morning from the velcro strap. It's a small price to pay, I guess.

A little foundation goes a long way!   ;)

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2005, 09:42:50 AM »

Friday greetings!

Media report:

In "honor" of this week's LaChiusa/Shaiman exchange, which even made the New York Times online, I'm listening to all the things that LaC trashed.  In my car CD:  Mamma Mia; on my iPod:  Hairspray and The Producers.  As a humble, and often full-fare, ticket buyer, I found LaC's discourse insulting.  I'm not familiar with his work, DR elmore, so if DR Joey didn't take those CD's off your hands, you can save them for me.  I'll listen (once) and then donate them to the AAUW booksale.

DVD - Deadwood:  The Complete First Season is "In Transit" to me, according to the library computer system.  Hope it gets here before I leave this afternoon!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »

Der B and I went shopping last Tuesday, after work.  I bought me some pants, he bought goodies from Harry and David's, and then he raided the local music/DVD store.  He bought copies of The Great Race and Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines, along with The Rescuers (for the Grandlads) and Beetlejuice.  For me, he picked up a copy of Doctor Who: The Five Doctors.  (Yes, I'm an unrepentant Whovian.)

Everything else will have to wait, however, because I've a copy of A Tale of Cinderella to watch, soon as I get back from a haircutting.  DR Elmore sent it our way, and this will be the first chance I've had, what with der B being off camping and my having a day off from work.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 09:54:31 AM »

Still catching up on yesterday's posts

Yesterday  Jose posted:
Well, maybe I could do a test run of the Food and Walking tour of Manhattan with you and the Vixter before the October gathering.  And then we could finish in midtown, say around Rockefeller Center... And I can call in my "favors" to you-know-where.

I wholeheartedly accept your very kind offer .  Just name the time and date!!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 09:56:58 AM »

yesterday Dan the Man posted

My chief bug-a-boo are women people who count out change when paying for their purchases in a store when there is a long line of customers behind them.  The amount total on the cash register is something like $4.68, and instead of simply handing over a five dollar bill, these women people will extract four rolled up singles from their change purses and then rummage through the coin compartment for two quarters, a dime, a nickle and three pennies (carefully filtering for Bicentennial quarters and Weedie pennies), never giving a thought to the people behind them who are suffering in wait.  Totally inconsiderate!  Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

I am sorry, I never noticed you behind me in line there...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2005, 09:57:21 AM »

Can we stand a discussion of another controversy around here?

The subject is tipping.

In this corner, we have Steven Shaw, a former lawyer and current foodie, who wrote an article for the New York Times, in which he notes:

Michael Lynn, an associate professor of consumer behavior and marketing at Cornell's School of Hotel Administration, has conducted dozens of studies of tipping and has concluded that consumers' assessments of the quality of service correlate weakly to the amount they tip.

Rather, customers are likely to tip more in response to servers touching them lightly and crouching next to the table to make conversation than to how often their water glass is refilled - in other words, customers tip more when they like the server, not when the service is good. (Mr. Lynn's studies also indicate that male customers increase their tips for female servers while female customers increase their tips for male servers.)

What's more, consumers seem to forget that the tip increases as the bill increases. Thus, the tipping system is an open invitation to what restaurant professionals call "upselling": every bottle of imported water, every espresso and every cocktail is extra money in the server's pocket. Aggressive upselling and hustling for tips are often rewarded while low-key, quality service often goes unrecognized.

In the other corner, we have "Waiter" from WaiterRant, who writes in his own blog the following (please page down to the August 10th entry, "Tipped Off," for the entire rebuttal):

Because if waiters are making an hourly wage they won’t care what kind of service they give. And, since waiters will definitely be under compensated they won’t be happy and what will that do to the “emotional connection” patrons have with their server? It will destroy it – making customers miserable and causing experienced servers to leave the business in droves. The best way for a restaurant to make a waiter loyal and happy is to pay him or her well through tipping. In this age of corporate layoffs and CEO overcompensation do you think any young person (the usual age cohort for waiters) buys that nonsense about long term compensation after they saw their parent’s loyalty to companies like Enron and Tyco so richly rewarded? They don’t and they want their money now. Why? Because a lot of us can take care of ourselves.

They both manage to finish their comments with references to McDonalds.

And yes, you can have fries while reading the articles, if you wish!   ;D

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »

But the change gets heavy in the bottom of the bag  and we are saving the bicentenial quarters and the state quarters,,, and the state nickels....

and

sorry

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up