Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST  (Read 31124 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2005, 01:40:47 PM »

Watching FOLLOW THE FLEET, I was surprised at how much taller Randolph Scott is than Fred Astaire. Ginger in heels is right about the same height as Fred, so she must have been a very tiny lady.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2005, 01:41:25 PM »

Drat. Another new page dance needed, and I'm once again on my downstairs computer away from a scanner.

That's three page dances I owe the forum!  Argh!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2005, 01:46:32 PM »

One of your finest moments, DR elmore3003!

Thank you, DRRon Pulliam!  I, too, am a Betty Garrett fan, but I'm fond of Betty Hutton, who Christopher Isherwood said would be a nymphomaniac if they could slow her down, as well.

Does anyone know about a British concept album of WUTHERING HEIGHTS with Lesley Garrett and Dave Willets?  The two of them do a delightful duet "You Were My First Love" from it, and I wonder if the rest of the score is as good?  I listened to Miss Garrett and the Anthony Warlow-David hobson duets albums this morning in the office.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2005, 01:54:43 PM »

Betty is a lovely person (Garrett - don't know Hutton).  My favorite film of hers is On The Town, but I don't think the camera cared for her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2005, 01:55:31 PM »

I finally finished the short story.  Whew!  Now, I shall figure out the next one and write it, and hopefully and I will not take so many days off from writing this time.

François de Paris

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2005, 02:00:13 PM »

Thank you, DRRon Pulliam!  I, too, am a Betty Garrett fan, but I'm fond of Betty Hutton, who Christopher Isherwood said would be a nymphomaniac if they could slow her down, as well.

Does anyone know about a British concept album of WUTHERING HEIGHTS with Lesley Garrett and Dave Willets?  The two of them do a delightful duet "You Were My First Love" from it, and I wonder if the rest of the score is as good?  I listened to Miss Garrett and the Anthony Warlow-David hobson duets albums this morning in the office.

Yes, this is a good score overall! And Mr Dave Willets is a fine singer. I've posted how I like Miss Garrett here before... Betty AND Lesley! :D I believe Claire Moore (I don't know... I tend to have a fondness for Moores!!) has also cut some songs from that show!.....

SO..... what do YOU think of the Warlow/Hobson cd then????
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 02:02:48 PM by François de Paris »

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »

SInce I had so many visitors yesterday, I didn't get to my kitchen cleaning, so off to do that now. Then, ALEXANDER on DVD. It's going to be a LONG night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »

SO..... what do YOU think of the Warlow/Hobson cd then????

I enjoyed it, although I think David Hobson's voice is showing signs of wear.  Some of the duets are quite wonderful, and "Roses of Picardy" isd one of my favorite Edwardian songs.  "Give Me A Ticket to Heaven" is a hoot, one of those songs Bock and Harnick make fun of in "Artificial Flowers."  I think DRMBarnum would like Mr Warlow's voice.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2005, 02:08:36 PM »

Just for you, Larry! -- Hush, don't tell anyone else!

Wuthering Heights

Based on Emily Brontë’s novel. Concept recording 
stars Lesley Garrett as Cathy and  Dave Willetts as Heathcliff, with CliveCarter, Bonnie Langford and Sharon Campbell. Arrangements and orchestration, Nic Raine. ©1990 Bernard J. Taylor. 17 tracks. 60 minutes.

"Bernard J. Taylor's big, sweepingly romantic score sustains a feeling of dark passion entirely appropriate for an adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel concerning the ill-fated love between Cathy and Heathcliff." - Show Music Magazine, USA, Summer, 1992.

"This is what stage music should be - passionate, powerful, melodic . . . If you buy only one album this year, make it this one - Mike Gibb, Masquerade Magazine.

"Every number, whether vocal or instrumental, packs the kind of emotional punch that musical performers and audiences cry out for." - Sarah Hopkins, Beneath the Mask, Summer 1994 issue.

"Something to shiver about!" - House & Garden (British edition), March 1992.

FJL

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »

Am I betraying a certain lack of class and dignity when I admit that when I quickly glanced and saw the reference above to Miss Garrett, I thought of Charlotte Rae and THE FACTS OF LIFE.  

But I really enjoyed the MY SISTER EILEEN movie, and the rendition of "As Soon As They See Eileen" (if that's the right title) remains one of my favorite introductory songs.  I mean, I love WONDERFUL TOWN, but the jealousy of Eileen in Betty Garrett's rendition of that song colored the rest of the MY SISTER EILEEN film dramatically for me.  I understood the character's plight better than I had in WONDERFUL TOWN, and I think it's because of Garrett and her performance of that song.  And I was in some sort of TV-watching heaven when she and Vincent Gardenia started appearing as regulars on ALL IN THE FAMILY.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »

Just for you, Larry! -- Hush, don't tell anyone else!

Wuthering Heights

Based on Emily Brontë’s novel. Concept recording
stars Lesley Garrett as Cathy and  Dave Willetts as Heathcliff, with CliveCarter, Bonnie Langford and Sharon Campbell. Arrangements and orchestration, Nic Raine. ©1990 Bernard J. Taylor. 17 tracks. 60 minutes.

Thank you, DRFrancois de Paris, I just ordered a copy via eBay.

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »

Any comment would be utter nonsense!!!!

http://img.theatermania.com/news/images/5447a.jpg

François de Paris

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2005, 02:35:33 PM »

You're most welcome DR Larry!

--  a clue for the pic posted above! Ah!

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5447

Can you believe the lady still goes on the stage at 86????

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »

Was I ranting?  Part of the problem, as I see it, is the fact that all these "me" generation youngsters are now parents, and by gum and by golly and buy bonds if they aren't instilling in their children those values but magnified 1000 fold.

BK, I hate to see you loose your cool!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2005, 02:40:38 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Lunch at the Water Street Grill.  Shopping up and down Spring Street.  Ice cream at Lickety Split: Twinkies, Purple Cow (blackberry ice cream with white and dark chocolate chips), and Cake Batter with Fudge Swirl.  *We all got "combo" cups of ice cream... then got another small cup of the cake batter to share.  Picked up tickets for tonight's performance of Bus Stop - DRs Rodzinksi and Antonia, that is.  Stopped in at Toonerville Trolley Records - a new and used record shop.  -Alas, no purchases among the three off.  More shopping at "Where Did You Get That?".

-I think that covers most of today's activities, although not necessarily in that order.

I was then dropped at The Clark - where I took a bunch of pictures of some of the works in their permanent collection (without flash as required), and Tom and Antonia headed out on their own to check out the surrounding area - since they only "saw" it in the dark last night.  And the the sun has decided to make a late day appearance and the sky is clearing up too.

:)

And now I'm going to lie down for a bit, just to rest... and then it's off to Goodrich for the final performance of Triangle...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2005, 02:44:18 PM »

"Wuthering Heights"
IMHO the only thing that makes this sound in any way interesting is listening to "Heathcliff" before it.. It is truly one of the dullest pieces of theatre I have listened to on disc.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »

Don't let him know what?
You know not Warlow!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2005, 02:48:17 PM »

Last Saturday Act I of Charley's Aunt ran approximately 1:40 (very rough stumble-through).  Today it ran 1:23.  I'd say we're making progress.

TOD
Clooney:  From This Moment On, Hey There, Blame It On My Youth, One for My Baby
Lee:  not as familiar, but I do enjoy her Fever
Fitzgerald:  Miss Otis Regrets, Airmail Special, Angel Eyes, You'll Have to Swing It (Mr. Paganini), Too Darn Hot
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »

You know not Warlow!
The problems of posting so many hours after the event! Thank you François.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2005, 02:53:35 PM »

I like Bernard Herrmann's Wuthering Heights.

I have Bernard Taylor's Wuthering Heights, which Mr. Taylor sent me years ago along with several other musicals of his.  I should get them down and listen again.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54:37 PM »

Sad when you quote yourself instead of modifying a post. I'm just awake. Good morning everyone.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »

I just don't know if I want to sit through Gypsy, the movie, again.  It IS 35mm and Technicolor, though, so maybe I will, if I can find the energy.  I've just been lying on my couch like so  much fish, watching DVDs.  Sometimes I tell the truth on my couch like so much fish, watching DVDs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2005, 02:55:14 PM »

I had two ears of corn, and two arms of English Muffins.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2005, 02:55:55 PM »

And I have a hankerin' for birthday cake.  Since Von's sells birthday cake by the slice, I may just have to toddle on over there in a few minutes.

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2005, 02:56:32 PM »

"Wuthering Heights"
IMHO the only thing that makes this sound in any way interesting is listening to "Heathcliff" before it.. It is truly one of the dullest pieces of theatre I have listened to on disc.

You don't know Eurotrash "Musicals" then! ;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2005, 02:57:08 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers. This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2005, 02:57:10 PM »

Ooops! That's one of THEM, I guess!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »

And this:

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2005, 03:01:29 PM »

I had two ears of corn, and two arms of English Muffins.

I'm glad you got rid of them because they made you look... odd! :D

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2005, 03:02:05 PM »

The ocotillos enjoyed the recent desert rains:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up