Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TICKLED PINK  (Read 25628 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:TICKLED PINK
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2005, 08:58:34 AM »

In honor of DR Hisaka's B-day, I will listen to the Japanese recording of "Aspects of Love" as I go about my daily business.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2005, 08:59:46 AM »

The day here is GLORIOUS.  It will probably get hot...very nearly almost up to F 80 degress, I'm guessing.

But the marine layer (i.e. the fabled, fabulous, and formidable Bay Area fog) is due to make a comeback tonight or early a.m. tomorrow.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2005, 09:00:26 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I am more than ready for "The Astaire/Rogers Collection, Volume 2"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2005, 09:00:45 AM »

And on the opposite side of the "Golden Palace" coin from DR Ron, I happen to think "The Golden Palace" has many funny moments.  Not as good as "The Golden Girls", but still rather witty and funny.  And yes, there have been a few episodes that were indeed dreadful, but over all, it's qute funny.  Afterall, there have been worse spin-offs!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2005, 09:01:01 AM »

I've never heard of "Rescue Me" and "The Comeback".

I'm not involved in "Veronica Mars" despite a couple of efforts at watching it.

But give me this: You listed only SIX shows....out of HOW MANY that aired???

You mentioned this as being a deadly season. I differed with that opinion, and I failed to list HOUSE and THE MEDIUM as two of the most outstanding new shows of the past season.

When has it ever been any different? There have been no years when more than 8 or 10 new shows that debuted were not only quality shows but also popular enough to continue to a second season.

I don't watch those shows in reruns for the most part. I discovered VERONICA MARS this summer in reruns after not watching it during the regular season. I use reruns mostly to look at shows that skipped my attention the first time around. The only shows I watch in reruns that I saw the first time around are the CSIs because they look so glorious in high definition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2005, 09:01:51 AM »

And on the opposite side of the "Golden Palace" coin from DR Ron, I happen to think "The Golden Palace" has many funny moments.  Not as good as "The Golden Girls", but still rather witty and funny.  And yes, there have been a few episodes that were indeed dreadful, but over all, it's qute funny.  Afterall, there have been worse spin-offs!

Brr-r-r-ah-h-h-HAH!  So...it was YOU!

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2005, 09:04:17 AM »

In honor of DR Hisaka's B-day, I will listen to the Japanese recording of "Aspects of Love" as I go about my daily business.

In all seriousness, is there REALLY such a recording? I knew there was a Japanese EVITA and a Japanese SCARLETT (GONE WITH THE WIND), but a Japanese ASPECTS OF LOVE?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2005, 09:06:18 AM »

You mentioned this as being a deadly season.

Matthew Hough!  I called last season a "dreadful" season.  I asked someone "call the hour of death" on it, but I never referred to anything as "deadly."

Dead, yes.  Summer re-runs.

But so few shows engage the little grey cells that network TV may well be on its way toward becoming deadly.

Perhaps we'll never know, but I believe it has severely dumbed down the majority of our population.

:)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 09:07:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jason

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2005, 09:06:31 AM »

You mentioned this as being a deadly season. I differed with that opinion, and I failed to list HOUSE and THE MEDIUM as two of the most outstanding new shows of the past season.

When has it ever been any different? There have been no years when more than 8 or 10 new shows that debuted were not only quality shows but also popular enough to continue to a second season.

I don't watch those shows in reruns for the most part. I discovered VERONICA MARS this summer in reruns after not watching it during the regular season. I use reruns mostly to look at shows that skipped my attention the first time around. The only shows I watch in reruns that I saw the first time around are the CSIs because they look so glorious in high definition.

"House" was interesting for the first two episodes. Then you figured out the formula and it became very methodical. Someone gets sick. What could it be? House pops a Vicodin. Let's try this medicine on the patient. Oh, he almost died! House pops a pill. Let's try this medicine. He almost died again! House pops another pill and says something wry. Someone mentions something in passing that catches House's ear. He pops a pill and thinks. With only 8 minutes to go, he figures out the problem and saves the day (and the patient). He pops a pill. End credits.

Matthew

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »

DR Matt - yes there is a Japanese recording of "Aspects of Love".  When I conducted the show, I bought it to hear the orchestrations as I prepared the show.  It's rather interesting.  

http://footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=22602

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 09:10:44 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2005, 09:10:07 AM »

Brr-r-r-ah-h-h-HAH!  So...it was YOU!

:D

I can admit to not knowing a THING that such a spin-off existed until Lifetime began to air it.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2005, 09:10:33 AM »

"House" was interesting for the first two episodes. Then you figured out the formula and it became very methodical. Someone gets sick. What could it be? House pops a Vicodin. Let's try this medicine on the patient. Oh, he almost died! House pops a pill. Let's try this medicine. He almost died again! House pops another pill and says something wry. Someone mentions something in passing that catches House's ear. He pops a pill and thinks. With only 8 minutes to go, he figures out the problem and saves the day (and the patient). He pops a pill. End credits.

You got that right.  And then there's the predictable conflicts with the CEO and the wealthy man who donates tons of money and believes he should run the hospital.

And House has his young, eccentric crew who idolize and castigate him several times throughout each episode.

And then there's the totally unbelievable, for me, "romance" between House and his one female assistant.

Talk about fatal attractions...one obsessed with himself and the other obsessed with him.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2005, 09:13:26 AM »

Well, here's another horse race. Most episodic TV is formulaic, but Dr. House is such an interesting character and as the series is progressing, we're seeing many sides to his personality and sides to those around him, too, which enriches the experience. Some weeks, the medical case is the least important aspect of the show.

Like tonight's 9 p.m. episode, for example. It's called "Three Stories" and it contains genuine surprises that lift the show out of the routine and make it something special.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2005, 09:15:30 AM »

Well, I just stepped outside to check out exactly what they were jackhammering earlier this morning, and I just couldn't seem to find any sign of any sort of work.  What's up with that?!?!?!? Who knows?  Maybe they did a quick and really good patch job.   Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2005, 09:15:52 AM »

Was ASPECTS OF LOVE a hit in Japan? I guess it must have done well enough for them to have made a recording.

BTW, how long did it run in England?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2005, 09:17:32 AM »

I also have Japanese cast albums of Phantom and A Chorus Line and Cats.

I, too, love The Season by Goldman, and I'm very fond of Diary of a Mad Playwright by Kirkwood.  I enjoy Not Since Carrie, and I'm a sucker for "making of" books and have the ones on Fiddler, Follies, Big, and A Chorus Line (maybe a few others, too).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2005, 09:17:44 AM »

Does anyone else have a problem here, from time to time, when you post a reply to something and all you get after the posting is a blank screen?

I hit refresh and nothing happens.  This sometimes happens when I enter the site.  I click on the daily discussion section and then get "nothing."

Maybe it's just me...but I had to ask.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

Didja ever have the feeling that you wanted to go?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:29 AM »

Some jackhammerer is trying to give Jose the Gaslight treatment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:30 AM »

And then you had the feeling that you wanted to stay?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:44 AM »

Go!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:57 AM »

Stay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2005, 09:20:09 AM »

Go!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2005, 09:20:25 AM »

Stay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2005, 09:20:43 AM »

What a predicament!

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »

And then there's the totally unbelievable, for me, "romance" between House and his one female assistant.

Um. . . . she wanted the relationship, he didn't. They had one date as I recall. And this season, according to spoilers, she's going to embark on a romance with the British resident doctor on staff.

House is still mooning over his failed relationship with the Sela Ward character who is back for at least 7 episodes this season.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2005, 09:21:21 AM »

I've never had the "blank screen" bit.  I've certainly had the "website not responding" bit, but that usually has nothing to do with the site, and everything to do with AOL, thank you very much.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2005, 09:21:37 AM »

I think Jose may be Gaslighting himself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2005, 09:22:42 AM »

All I can think of when I see posts about House is:

"House, what house?  You shall live in PALACE!"

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2005, 09:23:16 AM »

Yes, there were several books on the making of A CHORUS LINE. And the FOLLIES book by Chapin goes without saying (though I certainly should have).

I have some paperback books on the making of MY FAIR LADY, WEST SIDE STORY, and GYPSY, but they don't approach the thorooughness of the CHORUS LINE or FOLLIES books.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up