Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY  (Read 78542 times)

Jason

Re:WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2005, 11:41:08 AM »

Lithgow's character was supposed to be Hal Prince - complete with glasses on the top of his head.

I'm off to do laundry...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »

Outlook.

It isn't an email I received, it is an entry in the Guestbook at my Theatre site. Anonymous of course.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2005, 11:42:34 AM »

Lithgow's character was supposed to be Hal Prince - complete with glasses on the top of his head.

I'm off to do laundry...

Oh, well....Hal Prince always thought he was Mike Nichols!  :P

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2005, 12:15:13 PM »

I need a topic of the day.  How about stupid misheard song lyrics.  :)

Seeing TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA got me thinking of FOLLIES.  I could have sworn the lyric in "Who's That Woman?" was "Hi there! Kiss me, Tarzan" instead of "Hi there, kiss me, Bye there." I also thought Yvonne de Carlo was singing "Pedicures, religion and pills" instead of "rest cures."  (What can I say?  I had a cheap hi-fi with tinny speakers.)

For years, I thought both Yvonne and Carol were singing "Rescuers, religion and pills!"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »

Yesterday, Rodzinski wrote:
I have AT LONG LAST LOVE on vinyl. That's a flop that I find pretty enjoyable, mainly because of Ms. Kahn. I'm not saying it's a lost classic, but hardly worth the Golden Turkey kind of stuff it got.

I taped this off of a digital cable channel a couple of years ago (when I had digital cable at a reduced rate for a very short, introductory period of time) and there were two songs in the movie that aren't on the album.  "Down In the Depths (On the Ninetieth Floor)" by Madeline Kahn and "Tomorrow" by Duilio Del Prete.  They were right after the overture and BEFORE Cybill and Burt's introductory songs.  I was able to tape them and add them to a CD that I made of the album.  There is a difference in sound quality, but at least I got 'em.  I always wondered why they got the first solo songs in the movie and not Cybill and Burt, who were the "stars."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 12:25:03 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2005, 12:25:50 PM »

Off to my cousin's for dinner.  I hope it's on the grilll!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2005, 01:05:30 PM »

There is some triathalon madness happening today - just about all of Hollywood is blocked off and even some streets near my house.  I just don't like these events.  I asked someone why they did them, and they said because people like to do these events.  Well, there are events I like to do, yet I don't have to make traffic miserable for half the city.
I'm surprised by your attitude, dear BK.  These events bring people into the city, not only as participants but as spectators.  That generates tourist money, as they spend their greenbacks on hotels, restaurants, and all sorts of other things.  This money, in turn, gets recycled into the community again as the profits get spent by the local employees on what they want to buy.  Not to mention the tax revenue.

Every year, der B and I could count on not heading into Downtown Long Beach, because of the Long Beach Grand Prix.  In fact, most of Long Beach could count on being caught in a log-jam, as the residents would either be caught within the city street loop of the race course, or in all the traffic surrounding the event.  (Every year, while I was involved in the gay softball league, we'd simply plan on holding the after-game beer bust that day at Mike's Corral, which was located in north Long Beach and therefor well out of the Grand Prix traffic.)  The Grand Prix is one of the city's biggest money-makers.  It was worth it.

Events like this are usually advertised well in advance, so the locals can plan in advance how to live around them.  Relax, kick back with a beverage of choice, and be glad people like to celebrate living.  These days, that's important.

Well, that and the tax revenue.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2005, 01:07:14 PM »

I believe the John Lithgow character was supposed to be Hal Prince.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2005, 01:09:04 PM »

Oops (Spoo), didn't mean to echo other posters, but I posted before I got to page three.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2005, 01:13:07 PM »

I do think Mary Astor is the CLASS ACT of RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE. And Jeff Chandler is wonderful to look at and playing what's written. But I can't stand the other "replacements," and unlike DR JRand, I don't think Lucianna is particularly good, but the writing is so bad that it's hard to know who to blame.

The DVD certainly looks wonderful, though. I know the Fox executives have no shame in calling this a "Studio Classic." They know it's junk, but they were hoping a famous name in the title might sell some DVDs, but to put this and THE SONG OF BERNADETTE in the same category of "Studio Classic" is pretty ludicrous.

I have to admit, I like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS a lot more than this. I'd rather IT have been deemed a "Studio Classic."

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »

I've always wondered why Peter Bogdanovich cast Duilio Del Prete in this film. Was he trying to be a starmaker or something, hoping he could lay claim to finding another personality and make him a star like he had done for Cybil Shepherd? Because neither his singing nor his acting is especially wonderful, and he's not even that great to look at.

I do count AT LONG LAST LOVE as a guilty pleasure, but Duilio Del Prete's participation is to me the least enjoyable aspect of the film.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:20:47 PM by Matt H. »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2005, 01:17:11 PM »

A friend just called to offer me a free ticket to the Carolina Panthers/New Orleans Saints football game this afternoon.

No thanks, I told him. I just have NO interest in actually watching a pro football game, though I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would have killed for this ticket.
Football holds no interest for me.  Football players, on the other hand...

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2005, 01:17:22 PM »

My favorite misheard lyric is "There's a bathroom on the right" instead of "There's a bad moon on the rise" the good old Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »

I watching the rest of the Katharine Hepburn documentary, it reminded me that I need to go back and watch WOMAN OF THE YEAR, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, SUMMERTIME (especially), THE LION IN WINTER, and ON GOLDEN POND again.

I seem to watch the other Tracy-Hepburn pictures on DVD (like DESK SET, PAT AND MIKE, ADAM'S RIB) quite a bit, but WOMAN OF THE YEAR gets pushed to the back all the time, and I need to watch it again.

I don't know who owns the rights to STATE OF THE UNION, but someone ought to come out with that on DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:10 PM »

And I'm looking forward to watching the next installment of ROME tonight, too. Tonight Pompey leaves Rome as Julius Caesar approaches.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »

I need a topic of the day.  How about stupid misheard song lyrics.  :)

Seeing TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA got me thinking of FOLLIES.  I could have sworn the lyric in "Who's That Woman?" was "Hi there! Kiss me, Tarzan" instead of "Hi there, kiss me, Bye there." I also thought Yvonne de Carlo was singing "Pedicures, religion and pills" instead of "rest cures."  (What can I say?  I had a cheap hi-fi with tinny speakers.)
Again from Follies, but from "Broadway Baby," I heard it as "Plus a tube of greasepaint on a fallow spot."  Why I thought someone was trying to plow Ethyl Shutta's face, I have no idea.  (Actual lyric: "Plus a tube of greasepaint and a follow spot."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2005, 01:40:23 PM »

...there were two songs in the movie that aren't on the album.  "Down In the Depths (On the Ninetieth Floor)" by Madeline Kahn and "Tomorrow" by Duilio Del Prete.  They were right after the overture and BEFORE Cybill and Burt's introductory songs. ...I always wondered why they got the first solo songs in the movie and not Cybill and Burt, who were the "stars."
Better singers, perhaps?

;D

(Sorry, hadn't read DR Matt's comments, above.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:43:16 PM by S. Woody White »

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »

I also watched THE PIRATE for the umpteenth time recorded off TCM early this morning. I never tire of watching this movie, and am anxiously awaiting Warners issuing a DVD of it. I believe I did read that it's going to be included in their next box of musicals along with THREE LITTLE WORDS, IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, SUMMER STOCK, and ZIEGFELD FOLLIES.

I HOPE that's what I read. All of those are essential!  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2005, 01:53:59 PM »

Well, off to get today's cleaning chore done and then to settle in to finish RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE and then ROME.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »

I'm back - Pogue and I went to the Book Fair.  Today I bought two items that I'm VERY pleased with.  

Jrand: The Stages logo is by Nancy Lee and was indeed the LP cover, but the LP cover was gray and purple and I hated it.  I asked my designer to spruce it up and to put some spotlights in it and different color, and he did a great, great job.

And now for some photographs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2005, 02:08:06 PM »

First up, Miss Tammy Minoff, Pogue, and Tammy's mum Susan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2005, 02:09:40 PM »

Next, we have Barbara Deutsch and Marsha Kramer, who was in the second production of Together Again (and who's on the album).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »

Here is Rob Bowers (musical director of TA), Michael Byers (Stages), Linden Waddell and Armando di Lorenzo (Stages).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2005, 02:13:14 PM »

Here's my friend Christi and Debbie Tilton (Together Again).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »

Here's M'Lisa MacLaren's daughter Caitlin (who sings Opposites with Jessica Rush), and her adorable sister.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »

Here's Sam Lembeck, his gf Natalie, and the legendary Buddy Bregman.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2005, 02:19:53 PM »

Here are the Geissmans - Grant, Greer, and Lydia.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2005, 02:20:45 PM »

Here are Mr. Nick Redman and film scholar Mr. David del Valle.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:21:27 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2005, 02:23:25 PM »

Here's Pogue and Debbie Tilton's husband Michael, who just finished directing the new Stephen Seagall movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2005, 02:24:04 PM »

Michael looks all in because he literally had just flown in from Roumania.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up