Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THIRTY-THREE OPENING SENTENCES  (Read 83665 times)

MBarnum

Re:THIRTY-THREE OPENING SENTENCES
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2005, 07:45:08 PM »

To make myself feel better I am gonna flop in front of the TV and watch a double feature of THE CAPE CANAVERAL MONSTERS (a little Scott Peters never hurt anybody!) and DOGORA THE SPACE MONSTER.

Ice cream may also be involved.

Tomovoz

« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2005, 08:00:46 PM »

Ice cream and chocolate go with everything.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

I spent the evening watching movies on the DVR and from DVDs.

First up was INSPIRATION, a 1931 Greta Garbo vehicle in which she plays a Parisienne fashion model. Robert Montgomery was her co-star. I found the movie tedious to sit through. I guess people during the depression would pay their nickel or ten cents just to sit in theaters and see glamorous folks like Garbo parade around in Adrian creations, but this has to rank as one of her least inspired movies.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2005, 08:17:13 PM »

Someone said:

So, Sid was Judy's straight husband?

No, I do believe David Rose was of the heterosexual persuasion, was he not?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:17:35 PM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »

So very sorry to read your news, DR TCB. What a shock indeed!

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2005, 08:24:01 PM »

After the Garbo dud finished, I watched MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE with, of course, Clifton Webb and Shirley Temple and Tom Drake. Can't hold a candle to the first MR. BELVEDERE picture SITTING PRETTY (where is THAT on a Fox Studio Classic DVD?), but it was OK on its own. I saw it many years ago, but its slight little plot had faded in my mind.

Shirley Temple as the young widowed mother of a child! Must have been a shock to folks back in 1949!

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »

When that was over, I put in TIME BANDITS.

This was a Criterion DVD, but it was an early issue and was letterboxed but not enhanced for widescreen TVs (a subsequent DVD is not anamorphic, I believe). Looks like it was probably ported right over from the laserdisc master, but as the film never did look pristine in the theater, the lack of razor sharpness didn't bother me too much.

Like most of Terry Gilliam's movies, there's a lot of imagination amid the sloppy filmmaking. I guess that's part of his persona as a director. His movies always seem to have great ideas but not always perfect execution.

Still, it was nice to revisit it after many years of not seeing it.

Ben

« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

François, did you send mail to the lovely Miss Morrow? What a great response. A good old down to earth Midwestern girl.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2005, 08:29:53 PM »

Then, when that was finished, I put in STAR! I started it at "Limehouse Blues," my favorite number in the movie and let it run until I was ready to come up to the computer for my last surf of the day/night. I got through the "Private Lives" segment and her initial meeting with Richard Aldridge. I'll finish it tomorrow, but as for a follow-up, I have no idea right now.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2005, 08:30:33 PM »

Since I had PSYCHO II on my Friday Media Check, perhaps that's what I'll put in the player.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »

Since the Emmys are tomorrow night, I will be watching them and thus no DVDs after 8 p.m. tomorrow.

François de Paris

« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2005, 08:34:06 PM »

François, did you send mail to the lovely Miss Morrow? What a great response. A good old down to earth Midwestern girl.

Yes, siree-bob, I did!

And, as you can tell, I also "plugged" in Mr BK! Ah!

Her two new songs (to me!)

"If Love Is Not Enough" and "Show Voice" are gems!

François de Paris

« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »

Someone said:

So, Sid was Judy's straight husband?

No, I do believe David Rose was of the heterosexual persuasion, was he not?

That someone is TCB who knows buckets about straight!! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2005, 08:41:54 PM »

Precision:

Karen Morrow's comments are not from a mail to me but can be read on the link you posted the other day, along with a comment I posted there a few minutes ago!
Thought you were referring to the latter!
Silly me!

I bet Karen's voice is the same to what it was 40 years ago!

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »

Headed downstairs to bed now.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their evenings/mornings, etc.

Good night.

François de Paris

« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2005, 08:57:44 PM »

Headed downstairs to bed now.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their evenings/mornings, etc.

Good night.

Bonne nuit, and not "bonnet de nuit"!

td

• td
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2005, 09:05:03 PM »

I just watched one of the Hammer films in the new boxed set, PARANOIAC.  Nifty little thriller starring the divoon Miss Janette Scott.
I must also head off to bed early, as I am singing tomorrow morning at my father's memorial service at the church where they are dedicating a new sound system, sponsored by Mum and I in dad's name.  I'll be singing "How Great Thou Art," "Mansion on the Hilltop" and Amanda McBroom's "Errol Flynn."  The first two were Dad's favorite hymns, the last song, I sang for Dad during a concert I gave when he had just been diagnosed as cancer-free. . .that was two years before his passing.
So, to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and to be able to sing properly at 10:30am, I must get a little bit more rest than usual. . .
I'll be back after I drop in on a couple of other sites. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

Restless in the City of Studio.  I'm thinking about being a VERY bad boy.  I've already had bacon and eggs and potatoes this morning, and an In and Out Burger this afternoon, as well as a little chocolate chip ice cream.  But I am having a major little craving for some fries and ranch dressing from Jerry's.  We'll see if I have any will power or not.  

I may be done with DVD watching - I did Psycho II and III earlier and have been listening to the Major Dundee commentary track. which has some interesting tidbits but which grows tiresome after ten minutes, despite our very own Mr. Nick Redman being included.  He's actually the one level-headed guy, just asking interesting questions and never pontificating.  The others pontificate ad nauseum, and I have to believe, knowing what little of Mr. Peckinpah that I know, that he would have loathed these types of commentaries about his work.  

MBarnum

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2005, 09:10:30 PM »

Hmmm...just finished watching CAPE CANAVERAL MONSTERS...my favorite line:

Space man to space women as they stand over a victim:

"She's unconcious now, but earthlings are strange."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »

that reloading AOL wiped out 3 years worth of saved e-mails! Aack!

Don't dispair (maybe). The saved EMails are still most likely safely stored on your hard-drive; you just need one of us to talk you through the procedure of finding the file and moving it to your new AOL directory and renmaing it appropriately.

Presuming you have Windows XP, look for a path like:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize

There should be a spearate AOL folder for each installation (a re-install is usually given an "a" appendange (AOL 8.0a). In the "organize": folders there should be a file with no extention that has your screen name as its name - go to your current "organize" folder, rename your screen name file to something like "oldsuff" and then copy the file from the old organize folder to the new one.

Then take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2005, 09:44:30 PM »

Sorry about that news., TCB. Definitely alarming, to say the least.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2005, 09:54:21 PM »

And I have now achieved my new plateau - 15,000 posts.

Congratulations!!  (he said a few hours late ::)) You'd think that this was your website and not Guy Haines'. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 10:13:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2005, 10:37:28 PM »

I've finally caught up (I hadn't logged in since I posted post # 10!).  I had some errands to do and I stopped in at work this afternoon for about an hour.  Before I went to work, I had lunch at a place just outside of Olympia called the Ranch House Barbecue.  It's to die from (a "Jerry Herman at the Hollywood Bowl" reference).  They have some damned good burgers (I'm not a fan of bbq pulled pork or ribs :P).  They also have these hand-cut fries with garlic bits that are the best!  If you're ever in the area, GO! :D For dessert, I had a "Brownie Delight," simply a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream.  Simple, but very good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2005, 10:39:55 PM »

After that, I went to my sister's house and our parents came over to help repaint parts of her house.  She had to have some siding replaced because some panels were buckling (the house is only a year and a half old!) but the panel replacers didn't paint it.  After that, I cooked for the family (burgers...what else?) but I didn't eat any more.  I was still stuffed from the bbq bacon cheeseburger from the Ranch House Barbecue!  Then, I came home and copied a CD for DR Ben...and have now caught up.  

But I must leave again so that I may watch last night's episode of "Battlestar Galactica."  I really like this show!  (I don't care what anyone says! ;))
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 10:41:25 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2005, 11:59:48 PM »

People come, people go, like Grand Hotel.  New notes up in a mo.  I did go out and buy some French fries, which I must now eat.

Tomovoz

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2005, 12:01:03 AM »

A very long silence.... We have had guests so I've been making tea and chatting.  Where did everyone go?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:01:32 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up