Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT MEAT  (Read 36571 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A DIFFERENT MEAT
« on: September 27, 2005, 12:08:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know that I am done with pastrami and am moving on to a different meat, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're out doing a meat and greet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:12:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A DIFFERENT MEAT
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:09:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: TREMOLO!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:16:14 AM »

First one I thought of -- Angela's London "Gypsy" programme.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:20:14 AM »

Tremolo - one of Brian Poole's backing grop with their name spelt correctly for a change!
"Silence Is Golden".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:24:09 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:14:00 AM »

Hello DR Hisaka. Spring flowers are in bloom everywhere here. It's a beautiful time of the year - better in a couple of weeks when the warmer weather arrives.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:23:38 AM »

Good evening DR Tomovoz!
I can imagine how beautiful the flowers you'd see are and Spring is the season just for them.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 01:25:11 AM »

I wonder in LA the temperature is higher/lower than in Tokyo… the west coasters wear still summer cloths?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 01:27:59 AM »

DR HISAKA have a great time in LA!  We want photos!

Thank you, DR Jrand. Oh, yes! I’ve prepared a 256mb memory card in my camera and will be able to take about 300 photos. ::)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 01:29:56 AM »

Thank you, DR Danise, again! You too!
And I, too, am getting more and more excited!!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 01:40:34 AM »

An original souvenir program of West Side Story is my most prized one after all. It's not pricy much even now but bucause the film is quite memorable for me.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:53:21 AM »

TOD:

At one point in my life these things meant something to me. But over the years I sold them on Ebay and financed two trips to LA. (plane, car and spending $$$)

I plan to do the same thing again next month so I can take a 2 week trip somewhere.

Let other people enjoy what I enjoyed.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:18:37 AM »

My favorite souvenir programs are from the Hasty Pudding shows I was able to go to while at law school and even after when they brought the shows to New York.  Several of the Hasty Pudding writers ended up at the BMI Workshop and I was able to ask them to autograph the souvenir programs for the shows they did way way back when.  As of now, I don't think I'll ever be throwing those away.

Otherwise, my favorite program for many years was the HELLO DOLLY movie souvenir program.  It was just a lot of fun to read.   It's terribly worn out now from having been handled too much, but I'd never throw it away.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:20:23 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 05:25:12 AM »

Re the trivia contest:  I had looked at Richard Thomas as one of the first attempts for the star of a beloved series and actually gotten to the IBDB entry for THE PLAYROOM and played around with the info there for a few minutes.  But IBDB proves to be incomplete again.  :(

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 05:30:10 AM »

Re the trivia contest:  I had looked at Richard Thomas as one of the first attempts for the star of a beloved series and actually gotten to the IBDB entry for THE PLAYROOM and played around with the info there for a few minutes.  But IBDB proves to be incomplete again.  :(

Ditto, DR FJL.  The abridged cast list on IBDB made it just another dead end for me, too.

IBDB will pay for what it's done to me!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 05:37:36 AM »

Today is National Chocolate Milk Day.

It is also Ancestor Appreciation Day.

(This kind of suggests what should be in the glass we raise to toast our ancestors.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 05:39:10 AM »

The ultimate effect this week's trivia contest has had on me is that I'm dying to read (and learn more about) There Was A Little Girl, Jane Fonda's B'way debute.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 05:42:16 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

Good Morning!

Oh - I said that already - well..

I'm..

Um...

Oh.... Hmmm..... Well....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 05:47:00 AM »

Hmmm... As for most prized souvenir program... Well, I guess my Playbill for Biloxi Blues signed by everyone in the cast except for Mr. Matthew Broderick - who, apparently, was staying in between shows that day.  It was the first play I saw on Broadway.

Poster-wise... Hmm... I have a bunch of them.  In storage.  So...

I used to have a stack somewhere of stagebills from the Kennedy Center, from some of the National Symphony Concerts when Rostropovich was still the music director/conductor - but that stack has eluded me over the past couple of years.  I really wish it would magically appear somewhere in one of my various boxes of stuff.  Going to those concerts was, well, simply, magical.  And I sort of went semi-regularly when I was in high school - students tickets were way cheap - and I'd always sit in the first two rows audience left - better to see the hands of the pianist.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 05:48:36 AM »

Well, I still have to have my breakfast and get cleaned up before heading down to Ripley-Grier.  The search for our Lola, Meg and Gloria starts today.  It should be a good couple days of auditions.  However, it will be kind of weird just seeing women for three days straight. -Pardon the quasi-pun.  Ah, well...

OK... Gotta run.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 05:56:22 AM »

DR Dan - THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL was actually the answer to the trivia contest several weeks ago, IIRC.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 06:10:53 AM »

DR Dan - THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL was actually the answer to the trivia contest several weeks ago, IIRC.

Huh!  I must have missed that one--I don't remember ever supplying that play as an answer.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 06:25:07 AM »

When I finally realized that my program collection was too big to keep I threw everything away except for two - one from a play and one from a movie.

I kept my A CHORUS LINE program.  It contained programs from all the various productions I had seen over the years including the original NYSF production at the Public which was not even a printed program but several mimeographed pages on multi-colored paper (for the younger readers, mimeograph was a form of printing done with typed mylar pages on a machine that used a very messy ink; for the older readers at least it wasn't a ditto machine - remember that smell and that purple ink?).

The movie program I kept was THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 06:31:37 AM »

TOD:  

To tell the truth, I don't really view any of my Playbills as treasures as much as reminders of the shows I've seen.  I guess the rarest things I have are a Playbill from Broadway, Broadway that's autographed by James Coco and Geraldine Fitzgerald.  I once bought a Jennie Playbill on eBay (I thought I was bidding on the CD--d'oh!)  The programs that I probably care for more than any others would be:

Over Here! (just for that terrific cast listing)
A Chorus Line (Original Cast and with the original show artwork)
Chicago (from the Philly tryout)

I have a slew of musical souvenir programs, mostly from the late 70s.  Nothing in particular stands out for me, though--the things eventually became so lame that I stopped buying them.  

Favorite movie programs:
Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!
Nashville
A Boy Named Charlie Brown
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 06:40:33 AM »

I watched MEDIUM last night and also enjoyed it very much.

DR MattH, can you post where you get the ratings from? (hopefully it's in millions of viewers vs shares, since I don't really understand that!).

I'm not sure which is my favorite day of tv viewing, I guess Thursday night has always been the best for me.  I really think Monday is the worst night.

Btw, THE AMAZING RACE has its TWO HOUR season premiere tonight. YEAH!  Who will be watching?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 06:42:02 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  WHY I'm up is anyone's guess.

I should have looked at the ibdb to make sure they had all the answers - damn them, damn them all to hell.  Someone should enlighten them.  If they want to be thought of as a proper reference place, then they need to be more thorough.

FJL

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 06:52:09 AM »

DR Dan - THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL was the answer the week that Joey Heatherton was the answer to the question about the famous sex kitten who was in the play.  

SO BK, what was the accident that turned playwright Mary Drayon from acting to writing?  There seem to be a great many years between her performing and playwriting credits.

I almost ventured a last-minute guess that the person might be Mary Orr, the playwright on whose story ALL ABOUT EVE was based.  Would I have gotten partial credit for getting the first name right?  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 07:00:38 AM »

Apparently, Mary Drayton had a serious car accident at some point - I happen to have a first edition of The Playroom (I guess that Random House along with MGM thought the play was going to be a winner), and that's what it says in her bio.  

FJL

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 07:02:10 AM »

Info on THE PLAYROOM, Karen Black and her love for Peter Kastner is at

www.karenblack.net/biography/biography.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 07:08:06 AM »

Btw, THE AMAZING RACE has its TWO HOUR season premiere tonight. YEAH!  Who will be watching?

I think I will check it out, DR Jen.  Mostly because it promises to be a dysfunctional family smorgasbord.  I predict that there will be plenty of Dr. Phil fodder on this one.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up