Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT MEAT  (Read 36572 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A DIFFERENT MEAT
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2005, 08:20:32 AM »

Re: Last night's episode of "The Medium":

Wow!  I am really psyched about the new season. Last night's episode was first-rate, and the writers really kept me hooked.  The conclusion was a highly satisfying resolution to some of the confusion about her dreams of a plane crash.

Capping it all, though, was the intriguing preview for next week, which looks to be absolutely phenomenal.

I LOVE this show!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 10:47:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:02 AM »

The critic for USA TODAY, who is a huge fan of THE AMAZING RACE, was less than enthusiastic about the new season of the show. He's already seen tonight's episode and commented that the show loses some of its wonder by staying in America. He also was less than inthused about the way the teenagers talked to their parents.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:10 AM »

Page 3.

Shall We Dance?

Dance, Fool, Dance!

Dancing in the Dark!

That's Dancing!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:23:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2005, 08:23:46 AM »

Re: Last night's episoe of "The Medium":

Wow!  I am really psyched about the new season. Last night's episode was first-rate, and the writers really kept me hooked.  The conclusion was a highly satisfying resolution to some of the confusion about her dreams of a plane crash.

Capping it all, though, was the intriguing preview for next week, which looks to be absolutely phenomenal.

I LOVE this show!

I really like it, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing this episode. By the next time I log back on - late afternoon here - I will have seen it and have some comments to make.

Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:24:33 AM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2005, 08:25:15 AM »

I enjoyed last night's episode of "Surface" on NBC, too!

It was quirky, off-beat, and was surprisingly light and dark in tone as it switched between the family with kids and the man and woman trying to get to the truth on Sullivan's Island.

It is the ONLY para-sci-fi-newcomer this season to resonate with me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2005, 08:28:32 AM »

Read in VARIETY today that ABC is interested in programming Saturday nights again, not just with movies or reruns.

They've asked producers to come up with shows that can be made for 1/2 million dollars per episode or less.

They've given them three genres to focus on:

1. competition-based shows (SURVIVOR)

2. feel good reality (EXTREME MAKEOVER)

3. information based competition (MILLIONAIRE)

So, ABC is looking to program an entire night of new reality shows. Don't know if it will fly, but they're making the effort.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »

To the eternal question:

"Does anyone still wear a hat?"

DR Elmore3003 has given us the answer!

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2005, 08:30:04 AM »

I enjoyed last night's episode of "Surface" on NBC, too!

It was quirky, off-beat, and was surprisingly light and dark in tone as it switched between the family with kids and the man and woman trying to get to the truth on Sullivan's Island.

It is the ONLY para-sci-fi-newcomer this season to resonate with me.

And I haven't sampled it at all, even though it's being filmed in Wilmington, NC!

I noticed that the pilot is being rerun this weekend on NBC so maybe I'll give it a try.

I certainly was underwhelmed with INVASION and THRESHOLD.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2005, 08:31:01 AM »

Read in VARIETY today that ABC is interested in programming Saturday nights again, not just with movies or reruns.

They've asked producers to come up with shows that can be made for 1/2 million dollars per episode or less.

They've given them three genres to focus on:

1. competition-based shows (SURVIVOR)

2. feel good reality (EXTREME MAKEOVER)

3. information based competition (MILLIONAIRE)

So, ABC is looking to program an entire night of new reality shows. Don't know if it will fly, but they're making the effort.

Remember when Saturday nights brought us "The Golden Girls"?

And "Love Boat"?

And "Saturday Night at the Movies"?

(I know a few of you have fond memories of "The Lawrence Welk Show", but please don't go there).

:D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:31:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2005, 08:33:34 AM »

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a musical-variety show on Saturday night. Maybe a little hipper than LAWRENCE WELK (though I watched it all the time), but certainly something for those who like singing and dancing.

The networks are completely blind to the possibilities to musical-variety.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2005, 08:34:36 AM »

And, of course, there aren't many networks who ever had the solid gold line-up that CBS once had on Saturday nights:

ALL IN THE FAMILY
MASH
THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW
THE BOB NEWHART SHOW
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

FJL

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2005, 08:41:11 AM »

DR Dan -  The first time I was aware of BABY WANT A KISS was when its poster was on Max Bialystock's wall in the original film of THE PRODUCERS.  Bialystock's wall seemed to have the real cream of the flops.

Hmm...maybe that's a title for a flop-play book, CREAM OF THE FLOPS.  :)  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2005, 08:43:54 AM »

(I know a few of you have fond memories of "The Lawrence Welk Show", but please don't go there).

:D

I liked the bubbles
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2005, 08:49:12 AM »

To me, the best Saturday night line-up was ALL IN THE FAMILY, M*A*S*H (when it was still funny), MARY TYLER MOORE, BOB NEWHART and THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2005, 08:50:06 AM »

And, of course, there aren't many networks who ever had the solid gold line-up that CBS once had on Saturday nights:

ALL IN THE FAMILY
MASH
THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW
THE BOB NEWHART SHOW
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

DR Matt--great minds and all that...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2005, 08:51:48 AM »

God, I wish THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW were still on the air. Just brilliant.

When I was in Louisville, I bought souvenirs from every touring production that came through. T-shirts (which I actually wore to school. Oh! The horror!), posters, postcards, magnets, programs. You name it, I probably bought it. I don't buy any theatre memorabilia anymore. Not since I moved to NYC and have Broadway in my backyard.

I still collect window cards, though. I have some great ones - a lot of flops, but a couple of rare ones, too. Like the 6 ft. x 1.5 ft. CHORUS LINE poster that they put out when the show became the longest-running musical in Broadway history. It features all the pictures of the Lines (the logo with all the various casts) as well as a listing of every dancer who had done the show up to that point. It's currently rolled up in a tube in my closet because I can't afford to have it framed.

I also keep the Playbills for every show I see. Especially the flops. I ususally get two or three copies of the ones I know will bomb. Right now I have 192 Playbills/Showbills/Stagebills, etc. And that's just since I moved to NYC!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2005, 08:52:56 AM »

DR Dan -  The first time I was aware of BABY WANT A KISS was when its poster was on Max Bialystock's wall in the original film of THE PRODUCERS.  Bialystock's wall seemed to have the real cream of the flops.

Hmm...maybe that's a title for a flop-play book, CREAM OF THE FLOPS.  :)  

It seems that one can indeed find anything on eBay:

-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2005, 09:00:43 AM »

I tried to find a picture of that CHORUS LINE poster. It's nowhere to be found. I guess I'll have to photograph it myself. I talked to the guy at Triton Gallery about it. He said the last time he saw one was about 8 years ago and it sold for $150 unframed. I got it on Ebay for $10.75. :D

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2005, 09:02:28 AM »

DR Matt--great minds and all that...

You got it, baby!  :D

Actually, I stayed home on Saturday nights to watch those classic shows, and I was in the prime of my dating life, but they were all so wonderful that I just couldn't miss them.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2005, 09:04:45 AM »

Time to get off-line and see if I can find something for lunch around here.

WBBL

FJL

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2005, 09:25:35 AM »

DR Dan - I just checked my Playbill collection.  I actually have the BABY WANT A KISS Playbill.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2005, 09:36:36 AM »

A Saturday night of all reality shows.  I hope each and every one of them loses all half-a-million an episode.  This is something the world does not need.

I went back to sleep for ninety minutes.  Now I see people lounging around, so I assume they may have started shooting.   Just saw someone in their bathrobe hurrying down the street - an actor?  

Jason

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2005, 09:40:19 AM »

Per Playbill.com, BK's very own Ms. Emily Skinner will be playing Ms. Agnes Gooch in the Kennedy Center production of MAME.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2005, 09:47:33 AM »

A Saturday night of all reality shows.  I hope each and every one of them loses all half-a-million an episode.  This is something the world does not need.

I went back to sleep for ninety minutes.  Now I see people lounging around, so I assume they may have started shooting.   Just saw someone in their bathrobe hurrying down the street - an actor?  

Have you still no idea what show  they are shooting?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2005, 09:52:07 AM »

DR MattH, I am always interested to see what the numbers are for each night (of tv).  Is there somewhere that translates the shares into numbers (or explains exactly what the shares mean)?

Anytime you can post them I would be interested.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2005, 09:54:14 AM »

DR RonP, I will try to check out the link you provided.  Btw, Marcellas and Gretchen are still doing shows on Mondays. They were supposed to talk to the houseguests today to find out how things were now that they were out.  But only James and Sarah were on.  Hopefully next monday. I would love to know what the Friendship thinks now that they know everything.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2005, 09:56:29 AM »

And re: tonight's TAR.

I think it will be different than we're used to seeing.  With teams of four it will probably be more difficult to get to know the players and even to remember who is on each team.

I don't think there are that many kids. Only 2 little ones, and a handful of teenagers.  There are many teams of grown siblings ...  It will be interesting to me to see how the grown-up teams do compared to the ones with the kids.  I will also be interested to see how the tasks are divided (do the kids have to do any of the tasks?)

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2005, 09:59:04 AM »

One more TAR comment.

I don't think they are travelling as extensively. But I'm not certain they are just staying in America. I know they are in Canada and the US.  But I'm fairly certain they do more than that.  But I agree, watching the teams do tasks in North America would not be nearly as exciting or interesting.  Part of the thrill of TAR is seeing the beautiful settings and learning about the cultures.  I'm hoping we will still get to see a lot of this aspect.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2005, 10:19:04 AM »

To the eternal question:

"Does anyone still wear a hat?"

DR Elmore3003 has given us the answer!

Keith took two caps with him on our trip, a Scottish tweed cap and a Greek fisherman's cap. :)

Darn, I had to skip most of your post regarding MEDIUM.  After watching the previous episode I’m looking forward to last night’s.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2005, 10:25:46 AM »

From Vixmnom:

i din't "get' it. I went back and looked and looked and I still can't figure out what I typed  incorrectly

You called me Ann ;D

I am now i on day 14 of no thyroid supplement the short term memory is shot, my waistbands all feel tighter ...hopefully tomorrow the latest (Saturday's) blood  test comes back and the Dr will say what the next step is

I couldn't function at all without my thyroid supplement-GOOD HEALTH VIBES!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up