Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT MEAT  (Read 36279 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A DIFFERENT MEAT
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 07:09:57 AM »

Oh, dear - as I look out my window I see a caravan of trucks and honey wagons pulling up, which means they are shooting some film or TV show on my street.  A HUGE truck, maybe the generator, has just parked in front of my house, and there are production people wandering about on the streets.  The honey wagon (dressing rooms, etc.) is across the street.  I wonder if I'll be able to come and go as I please, car-wise, and I wonder if I give up my parking space if it will be there when I return.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

FJL

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 07:10:21 AM »

A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN - That brings back memories.  That was a favorite album for a while.  I remember thinking I had to get more of Rod McKuen's stuff after really liking his songs for that movie.  But I didn't take to his other stuff as  much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 07:11:03 AM »

While I didn't have a crush on Peter Kastner, I really liked him a lot when we worked together.  We remained friends for a couple of years, then I lost track of him.  We had him over for dinner a few times, and my daughter, who would have been around three, adored him.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 07:11:30 AM »

There are men with walkie-talkies wandering the streets.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 07:13:52 AM »

I have never eaten pastrami or corned beef or salami or gefilte fish

I have eaten kangeroo, ostrich, buffalo, shark and frogs legs although admittedly none of them on a regular basis

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 07:13:55 AM »

The honey wagon just turned the corner and is now parked on the street that runs east and west rather than the one that runs north and south.  If there are any interesting actors I'll let you know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 07:14:48 AM »

I must say they are getting a rather late start arriving at seven.  That means the cast calls won't be until eight or a bit later, which means they won't start shooting before nine, possibly ten.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 07:16:07 AM »

Good morning, all!  Last night I had a wonderful dinner with DRGinny and her wonderful spouse Richard, who unlike me has kept his hair.  DR Ginny baked a fantastic pecan pie which was quite yummilicious, as were the meatloaf and veggies.  Reputations were made and destroyed, people were found and lost.  It was all quite festive.

Today I attack Miami University to address music and theatre students on professional careers.  I am quite looking forward to it.  Tomorrow morning, I will stop by the library to catch up on all things important to my internet soul:  email, eBay, and HHW, before I fly home.

DRJose, God willing, I should be home by 8:30 tomoprrow night.  Give me a call when you can.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 07:17:02 AM »

The grip truck in front of my house is a Paramount truck.  So, assuming it's a TV show, what Paramount film shows are on TV?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 07:18:45 AM »

The stories behind flop plays are probably just as interesting as flop musicals.  Frinstance, the writing team of Ron Clark and Sam Bobrick managed to get four comedies mounted, each with top-notch directors.  And each show flopped badly.  How did they keep getting produced?  (I do have a sentimental favorite in their Wally's Cafe--we did the show when I was in college and it actually went over well.)

Why doesn't someone write a book about flop plays?

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 07:20:15 AM »

There are men with walkie-talkies wandering the streets.

Perhaps its "This is YOUR Life Bruce Kimmel"
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 07:21:39 AM »

A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN - That brings back memories.  That was a favorite album for a while.  I remember thinking I had to get more of Rod McKuen's stuff after really liking his songs for that movie.  But I didn't take to his other stuff as  much.

DR FJL, I was a Peanuts fanatic when I was a youngen.  I collected everything!  I used to tape record the TV specials and I carried on a bit when my mom would not allow me to take the recorder with me when I went to see the movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2005, 07:22:45 AM »

I had to buy a new cap yesterday; the one I'm wearing in my avatar is fraying to death.  It's dark brown and quite tasteful.

DRCharles Pogue, I discovered in the new books at the library a mystery series I'd never heard of.  The author is Edward Marston and the books are about an Elizabethan acting troupe.  The newest is THE MALEVOLENT COMEDY.  I see there is also a new Bruce Alexander mystery about Henry Fielding's brother.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2005, 07:26:26 AM »

The grip truck in front of my house is a Paramount truck.  So, assuming it's a TV show, what Paramount film shows are on TV?

No matter what it is, go out there and insinuate yourself into it, BK.  And demand scale plus 20%.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2005, 07:30:19 AM »

DR Dan - A book about flop plays would be interesting, especially about how people with one flop after another still managed to get their next one produced.

I've wondered if a book compiling all of BK's trivia contests might be a valuable volume, both from an entertainment perspective and educational perspective.  I know the contests are all on the internet if you look for them, but maybe with a few added insights????

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2005, 07:46:27 AM »

DR Dan - A book about flop plays would be interesting, especially about how people with one flop after another still managed to get their next one produced.

I've wondered if a book compiling all of BK's trivia contests might be a valuable volume, both from an entertainment perspective and educational perspective.  I know the contests are all on the internet if you look for them, but maybe with a few added insights????

There's an idea, DR FJL!

Here's a question:  Carrie is generally considered the epitome of Broadway musical flops--what would be the most infamous straight play equivalent?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2005, 08:00:51 AM »

DR MattH, can you post where you get the ratings from? (hopefully it's in millions of viewers vs shares, since I don't really understand that!).

I'm not sure which is my favorite day of tv viewing, I guess Thursday night has always been the best for me.  I really think Monday is the worst night.

DR Jennifer, I get them from both Zap2It (which usually just gives the ratings and shares) and VARIETY which also gives that, the age 18-49 rating and share (the one advertisers care about; I'm a nonentity to them even though I continue to spend a good deal of money), and the total viewers in millions.

Since you're not a VARIETY subscriber, you're not privy to that, but if you're ever curious about how many folks watched a certain episode of a show, just ask and I can check it out for you.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2005, 08:01:31 AM »

DR Dan - If not MOOSE MURDERS, how about the famous Newman-Woodward show BABY WANT A KISS.  (Call the book BABY WANT A MISS.  :)  )

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2005, 08:04:15 AM »

There's an idea, DR FJL!

Here's a question:  Carrie is generally considered the epitome of Broadway musical flops--what would be the most infamous straight play equivalent?

Would it be PRIMATE (I think that was the name) which had a weekly gross of $800+, if I remember correctly.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2005, 08:04:18 AM »

You beat me to it FJL, I was about to reference the infamous Moose Murders also.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2005, 08:05:48 AM »

It is a most beautiful day here. Not a cloud in the sky and not overly hot conditions either.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2005, 08:07:30 AM »

We have a movie shooting in Charlotte right now - the Will Farrell NASCAR movie. In fact, the restaurant/pub to be in the picture is right down the street from me. All of the trailers for the actors are in the back parking lot just a hop, skip, and jump from where I walk each morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2005, 08:09:11 AM »

Maybe I'll write a book about flop plays.  I think a good title for it would be Maybe I'll Write A Book About Flop Plays.  They are apparently shooting just up the street (north) of my house.  At some point I shall walk out there and see what the story is.  I can see the honey wagon with the dressing rooms directly out my kitchen window (where my laptop is), so I should be able to perhaps catch a glimpse of some of the actors, not that I can see that far.    I don't believe any of the cast has arrived, which probably means a ten o'clock start.  The "No Parking" signs they plastered on my side of the street say they could be here as late as ten this evening.

The "movie police" are here, too.  I wonder if they'll try to stop people from walking their dogs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2005, 08:09:50 AM »

As for me, I think I'll play the piano loudly and sing at the top of my lungs all the livelong day or night, just to see if the sound person notices.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »

There are many many plays that closed after one performance, all throughout the forties, fifties, sixties and seventies - less so in the eighties and nineties.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2005, 08:11:49 AM »

I have a STAR! souvenir program (of course), but I also attended the gala premiere of the movie here, and that night they also gave out special Playbill inspired programs listing the musical numbers, cast bios, etc. I'd say that's probably my most prized movie program. If I think about it, I'll scan the cover and show it later today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »

As for me, I think I'll play the piano loudly and sing at the top of my lungs all the livelong day or night, just to see if the sound person notices.

Heck!  If there's anyone "interesting," make sure the hot tub is fired up and ready for fun!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:17:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2005, 08:15:17 AM »

As for a theater souvenir program, I bought a few growing up, but the one I prize the most was for a Judy Garland concert in 1965. It was basically a career-oriented program featuring stills from her movies and concert appearances. No mention of her TV series, so I have to suspect they were programs that were made up for Carnegie Hall or the Met concerts she did.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2005, 08:16:43 AM »

For "Big Brother 6" Fans (ONLY!):

For an interesting and very fun bit of closure on the previous season, you could do a lot worse than visit www.thefishbowl.com, an internet radio station.

They interviewed several of the "outcasts" last week and the audio is available.

I spent nearly an hour listening to interviews with Michael (whose home was hosting many of the fun people for the weekend), James (who has PLENTY to say) and Janelle (who reveals stuff about Howie he may NEVER live down).

It's a revelation to hear their experiences with the "families" of the fiendsheep (who were all friendly and gracious and "apologetic") and the way the fiendsheep acted at the wrap party and in the hotel they all stayed in.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2005, 08:19:44 AM »

Moose Murders!  How could I have forgotten!

I've come across Baby Want A Kiss many a time doing the trivia contests.  What was the story behind that one?

Moose Murders,
What's happened to them?
Moose Murders
Today?
Untidy! Take my daughter, I
Taught her, I
Tried my best to teach her a new wrinkle...
I even named her
Bullwinkle.

(I've been saving that one...)
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up