Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SHEMAN HEMSLEY  (Read 26579 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:SHEMAN HEMSLEY
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2005, 04:49:19 PM »

Back from hanging out with the gang. MBarnum and I met at Carnegie Hall for the Red Bull Artsechro, which turned out to be pretty interesting. An orchestra mixed with a kid "playing" turntables. It sounds bad, I know, but the orchestrated music was pretty fun with a kind of exotica sound, and the turntable stuff didn't overwhelm the live music. We did leave at intermission, so we would have time for MBarnum to get to the Virgin Megastore to shop for Bollywood music. He bought some. I found THE PIRATE MOVIE on dvd, so it was a suceessful trip, then we met everyone at John's Pizzeria.
Ben, Ant, TPunk, Jose, Elmore, and Danise were there. We had plenty o' pizza and some laffs and laughs too. MBarnum and Jose went off to a special interest club  and we all parted ways. Now I am going to laze about for the rest of my Sunday.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »

Thank you for the update DR Rodzinski.  Now will we have a full report from the "Special interest club"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2005, 05:06:25 PM »

I've just received the new Katie Melua CD "Piece By Piece".
"The Closest Thing To Crazy" on the first album is one of my favourite Cd tracks of the last few years. This album lives up to the promise.  I can't remember if Katie met with the same success in the USA as she has in the UK and OZ. I much prefer her work to that of the much lauded Nora Jones.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2005, 05:06:55 PM »

Thank you for the update DR Rodzinski.  Now will we have a full report from the "Special interest club"?

A "BOLLYWOOD" movie club, no doubt!

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2005, 05:25:39 PM »

I just heard from DRJose.  The "special interest" trip did not take place.  DRMBarnum is now settled into a movie theatre for a bit of Bollywood.

Heavens!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2005, 05:28:37 PM »

Back from a whopping six hour Kritzer tour.  Dear reader Hisaka had gone through all three books and made a list of places four pages long, and I do believe we saw just about all of them (or at least where they used to be).  We started at the Wiltern Theater, did that area (including my father's restaurant - she took photographs wherever we went), went back to Sunset and Vine, did that area, then headed down to mid-Wilshire, did that area, then the Kritzer neighborhood, then over to West LA where we did a lunch stop at Dolores so she could have an authentic Kritzer meal.  Then we made our way to the beach so she could see where Grandma and Grandpa Kritzer lived and where POP once stood.  We took a long walk on the Venice boardwalk, and I even stopped by my old apartment building highrise, The Shores, and had a nice chat with the lady security guard, who told me many fascinating things that have happened since I left in January of 1996.  I'll have more details in the notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »

Here is Hisaka eating her Kritzer meal at Dolores: A Jumbo Jim hamburger with cheese and extra Z sauce, and the Suzie-Q curly fries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »

She thought that was the best hamburger she's ever eaten in her life.  Here she is at the beach, about five minutes from where POP and the St. Regis Hotel once stood.  She is surrounded by the familiarly wacko strollers of the Venice Boardwalk.

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2005, 05:56:02 PM »

Well, it's a good thing I'm not leaving for New York until tomorrow. I've spent most of the day recovering from the fabulous wedding party last night.  It was a night to remember.

It took place at the Orpheum Theatre, which underwent a 12 million dollar restoration to it's 1920s splendor about 4 years ago. You can see it at www.orpheumlive.com

When we arrived the bride and groom were outside. They had a family ceremony before the guests were invited so they were already married. The guests were inside in the lobby drinking champagne. We were told that there was no peeking into the theatre until we were told to do so.

I went outside and across the street a bus stopped and a drum corp got out, yes, it was a drum corp. They marched across the street and into the lobby. The bride and groom fell in behind and we all followed down the aisles of the theatre and up to the stage.

The stage!  It had been transformed by some set designers who recently left Hollywood and moved back to the area.  It was incredible and I don't think I can adequately explain it, but we were in a fabulous night club. Part the Red Room from New Orleans, part a nightclub that was in the Avaitor. They didn't miss a detail!  The band stand was set up so there was a wall behind them facing the house, thus it was no longer a stage, it was a room, a fabulous night club.  

The guests were all dressed to the nines. Much more glamourous than I had ever seen anyone look here in Sioux City. The band was from Minneapolis and was fantastic. It had a horn section, 3 singers etc.  They played standards for about an hour or two and then......it was 70s music and disco!  There was a great tile dance floor and everyone danced and danced. They had a fabulous looking bar - open bar all night, a wonderful spread of food - replenished all night, tables, banquettes, fresh roses on every table and fabulous backdrops with full lenghth paintings of glamorous dancers.

You really had no choice but to have a good time. It was like the bride knew what she wanted for her ideal wedding party and since the place didn't exist, at least here, she created it and took us all with her and made us part of her dream.

What an evening. Today, I was moving quite slowly, got up, had breakfast followed by a 5 hour nap!  Now I'm starting to pack and get ready for the trip. I intended to do some cleaning around the house etc, but it will just have to wait until I get back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2005, 06:01:23 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2005, 06:01:41 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2005, 06:04:58 PM »

Wonderful photos of Hisaka and the New York contingent. I'll be there tomorrow night. I'm planning on Barrymore's if all my travel is on time

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2005, 06:10:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!

As DRs elmore and Rodzinksi reported, we all met up at John's Pizzeria for some darn good pizza, and some great conversation.  It was also really good getting see DR Ben and his ever-lovin' Ant again - it's been a while since I've seen Anthony.

DR Rodzinski - What was the "issue" with the busboy as we were leaving?  -If there was an issue.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »

While DRs Rodzinksi and MBarnum were at Carnegie Hall, I headed over to Columbus Circle to sit down for a bit and make some phone calls.  I realized that I had not checked my voice mail in a few days, so.... "You have 18 new messages."  -18?!?!?  Thankfully(?), a bunch of them were from telemarketers, but there were a few I did have to make note of and just one I had to make sure to return/respond.

And they installed some nice new benches around the statue of Columbus at Columbus Circle.  Very comfy.  While sitting there, I made to sure to clean my rugby shirt...  While walking through Central Park on the way to Carnegie Hall with DR MBarnum, I felt something hit my shoulder.  -Oh, it's an acorn...  Hmm... It still feels like the acorn is still there... Oh... Maybe it's not an acorn... Oh... Alas, a bird had left it's calling card on my left shoulder.  -At least it did not hit my head.  Whew!  DR MBarnum had wiped off the majority of it for me earlier, and I was able to get the rest of it off of my shirt with some bottled water, napkins and elbow grease.

Then I headed into the Shops for a bit of browsing at Border's and Williams-Sonoma.  There were some major cooking demonstrations and sampling going on since it was Founder's Day at Williams-Sonoma.  I did not partake of any of the goodies, believe it or not, but the store sure did smell yummy.  A few minutes later, I met DR TPunk upstairs, and....
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2005, 06:19:45 PM »

Keep the pictures of DR Hisaka coming!  It's almost as good as being there.

Adam Sandler is neither a "movie star" nor an "actor."  There's a certain amount of "class" that goes with both terms; also the camera doesn't do Mr. Sandler any justice which I can think of. . .

I just took in the final portion of the JOAN CRAWFORD bio on the MILDRED PIERCE dvd, now, there was a Movie Star and an Actress, but primarily a Movie Star

Speaking of actors/movies stars. . .Julie Christie is making a little bit of a splash these days in supporting roles, almost miniscule roles as in the third HARRY POTTER movie. . .
So, DRs one and all. . .who do you think the last Movie Stars who were also Actors were?
I'd go with Robert Redford.  Ms. Christie might be my choice for the female side. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »

Well, I'm as packed as I can be the night before.  We went this afternoon to see My Fair Lady, with Marla Schaffel as Eliza and James Young (John Vickery's understudy) as Higgins.  It was a beautiful production and I'm quite pleased with our Schuster seats.  They're pretty high-up (first-time subscribers), but on an aisle.  Three weeks from today we see Ten Tenors at the other venue, The Victoria Theatre, a beautifully restored old house across the street from the brand-new Schuster.  All this in Dayton, Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2005, 06:25:13 PM »

I took DR TPunk over to Takashimaya - the same Japanese department store I had taken DR MBarnum too yesterday.  Again, lots of window shopping and "dreaming".  They truly do have some beautiful things amongst their inventory.  Alas, a lot of it is also prohibitively expensive.

I played a little game of "The Price Is Right" with TPunk.... "So, how much do you think this cabinet is worth?"  -$3,500.  "I'm sorry, the actual retail price is $17,000."   -"And now this storage unit?"  -$18,000.  "Yeah, you are correct!"  -"And, finally, this beautiful oversized sideboard?"  -Hmm.. Let's say, $22,000.   "I'm sorry.  The actual retail price is $45,000."  "Thank you for playing.  Enjoy the rest of your visit to Takashimaya."

;)

*DR Rodzinski - If you happen to be "in need" of a gift for Antonia, I have a few ideas I can pass on to you.  And all at various price points.

;D

However, we did not leave empty-handed.  Well, I left empty-handed, but TPunk found some cool greeting cards in the first floor Sale section.  And she got one of those cool triangular shopping bags too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »

DR elmore - How was Patience?  Where's Danise tonight?  Any word from Jane?  Do you want be to stop asking questions?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2005, 06:34:12 PM »

After heading out from John's Pizzeria, DR MBarnum and I headed back over to the Virgin Megastore.  But since the movie did not begin until 8:30, and it was only 6:45, Michael "suggested" we head somewhere and get dessert and coffee.  So.. We headed over to Joe Allen.  I figured Michael should at least pay one visit to THE official restaurant of HHW while he was in town.

We sat at the bar since the host would only seat us in the dining room proper if we were ordering a full dinner.  -And there was practically no on in there...  Ah, well.. In any case...

While sitting at the bar, a woman caught Michael's eye, and...  -I'll let him tell the rest of that story.

OH!  DR Jason - Craig Bierko was not there tonight like he has been the past couple of times I've been there.  ;)

In any case...

The dessert choices tonight were the Warm Chocolate Pudding Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream, and the Peach, Blueberry, Raspberry Cobbler with (gobs of) Whipped Cream.  Both were very good, and we managed to almost clean our plates.

It turned out that Rosie O'Donnell was sitting in the main dining room with some of her Fiddler cast mates and some family.  I recognized a pal of mine sitting at the table, but held off saying HI to him... in order to get to say HI to Rosie.  -But, at least MBarnum got to see someone famous... whom he recognized.  ;)  ... But then there was that other woman...

;)

After we finished our dessert, we headed back over to Virgin, browsed a bit more, and Michael found a few more CDs to purchase.  While he headed to the cash register - and then onto his Bollywood movie - I headed on back uptown.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2005, 06:36:32 PM »

DR elmore - How was Patience?  Where's Danise tonight?  Any word from Jane?  Do you want be to stop asking questions?

Well... As for Danise... We walked her up to TKTS to see if Once Around the Sun was up on the board, and sure enough it was.  -She "knows" one of the stars of the show, and was hoping to catch the show while she was in town, so...

After she picked up here ticket, I pointed her in the direction of the theatre.  I hope she made it there - and I hope I pointed her in the right direction.  And, most of all, I hope she's enjoying/enjoyed the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2005, 06:40:08 PM »

...On the way to John's, I noticed that Brad Oscar was doing his usual hanging out by and of the stage door of the St. James.  It was the top of the second act, and it's one his few "breaks" in the show.  I had spotted him a few times before, but this time I decided to go ahead and go up to him and introduce myself to him.  "Hi, I'm Jose.  I'll be your assistant conductor for Damn Yankees."  We chatted very briefly, but he did say he's looking forward to the show.

Then TPunk and I headed next door to John's Pizzeria to meet the gang, and Mr. Oscar went back to his second act.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »

So...  I believe the HHW Meal Calendar is this for the next couple of days:

Monday, 10/3 - 6:30 - Barrymore's - DR elmore made the reservation.  If you think you might make it, be sure to check in with him if you haven't already.

Tuesday, 10/4 - ?:??, Restaurant to be determined.  DR elmore asked me to "host" this evening, but I think I may have to pass.  I know Indian was the planned cuisine, but that's not necessarily set in stone.  Additionally, I may be working Tuesday, and I'm not sure what time I'll be done... and with Wednesday already planned as a full day...  I know that the ladies of HHW were planning a walking tour of Central Park that day, and maybe they/you could just continue from there to dinner.  If you'd like any restaurant suggestions, feel free to ask.  But, for right now, the time and place is still up in the air.  *Just remember, you have a long day coming up on Wednesday...

Wednesday - 9:30-6:30 - The Walking and Eating Tour, NYC - 2005.

8:00-ish - La Cocina - Come one!  Come all!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »

DR Jose - thanks for the updates.  Tuesday will be my shopping day - my main destination is Bloomingdale's, but I may stop by Takashimaya after reading your description.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »

(I'm still looking forward to Wednesday...and, if you get a chance, DRJose, could you send me one of those questionaires?)

About to send one out to you...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2005, 06:51:04 PM »

bk - I hope the second day of October was better for you than the afternoon of the first.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2005, 06:54:38 PM »

DrJose, thanks for the update. I may join in on the central park tour, but need to wait and see what time I'm meeting Rupert for dinner before I see Wicked.  When we talked about it, I didn't remember that it's a 7:00pm curtain. So, those plans may have to be moved earlier.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2005, 06:57:42 PM »

DR Jose - thanks for the updates.  Tuesday will be my shopping day - my main destination is Bloomingdale's, but I may stop by Takashimaya after reading your description.

I highly suggest Takashimaya.  Especially after Bloomie's.  Takashimaya is a department store, but it's not a madhouse.  It's very calming and beautifully laid out and decorated.  I just like going in there to get away from the hustle and bustle from time to time.

Up on the Sixth Floor is their Health & Beauty department.  The "hostesses" up there are always more than happy to help you select a fragrance, try out a skin care regime, etc.  You can get a full makeover, treat your hands to a salt or sugar scrub... Or just have them touch up your make-up if you like - and there's never a sense of obligation to buy something afterwards.  And they have some very high quality cosmetics and fragrances.  Be sure to check out the Bedroom and Children's Clothes on the Fourth Floor.  -The lavender and rose drawer liners and sachets are perfect wedding, engagement, etc., gift.

And if you happen to get a case or two of sticker shock after checking out some of the price tags, the tea room - which they call the Tea Box - in the basement is a nice place to relax, sip a cup of tea (you can choose from at least 25 varieties), and nibble on some tea sandwiches and cookies.  Lunch is served from 11:30-2:45, and the Afternoon Tea menu kicks in at 3:00.  Again, highly recommended - and a surprisingly good deal too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2005, 06:58:23 PM »

Hmm... So who exactly was going to dinner on Tuesday night?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2005, 07:02:54 PM »

Hmm... So who exactly was going to dinner on Tuesday night?

Probably not me, 'cause I'm meeting a non-HHW friend at 3:30 at his office and hope to be seeing Walking Down Broadway at 7.  If I'm unable to get a ticket tomorrow afternoon for that, I'll just try TKTS Tuesday evening for something.

Or maybe just rest up for Wednesday  ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:04:13 PM by Ginny »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »

DR SWW - Sent!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up