Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SHEMAN HEMSLEY  (Read 26547 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SHEMAN HEMSLEY
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2005, 01:31:40 PM »

After that was over, I noticed that I had set the DVR to record a movie I haven't seen in years off the Fox Movie Channel - MAKING LOVE.

The print doesn't have great color, and it's not especially sharp. This was probably a tape master as its full frame and kind of bland looking. The sound is stereo surround, though, so I'll give it a plus for that.

I haven't watched this movie in years, and I only watched about 40 minutes of it today, but it's nice to see this again. Michael Ontkean is still heartbreaking to me in the part of Zach.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »

Page 4 Dance!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »

A small incident, but one that caused another checker (Kimmi) and me to laugh out loud.  Both of our registers were near the pharmacy/appearances aisle, and a display of suntan lotions was in plain view if I stood where the customers come into my lane.

As it happened, the bottles of lotions were being displayed at an angle.  And on the bottom shelf, mixed in with the lotions, was a bottle of Heinz 57 Ketchup.  Not only had someone put the bottle where it didn't belong, they had put it on the shelf at the exact same angle as all of the lotions.

Kimmi came over to see what I was laughing about, and when I pointed it out to her started laughing too.  "That must be for the natural sun-burnt look!"

I really enjoy my job.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2005, 01:38:51 PM »

I noticed from the TV magazine inside my Sunday newspaper that COMMANDER -IN-CHIEF is again being repeated next Saturday night at 10 in case there are conflicts on Tuesday night that folks who want to see it and something else have.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2005, 01:42:34 PM »

I had the CIRCUS WORLD video (Two tape, P/S) which I loaned to my brother.  Kind of a goofy movie and Claudia Cardinale is very difficult to understand, her accent is very pronounced, and Rita Hayworth as a trapeze artist is a bit hard to take - but the fire at the end is pretty spectacular!  And John Wayne is John Wayne.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2005, 01:42:59 PM »

Ah - Lucy goes native!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2005, 01:45:20 PM »

Thanks for the additional ANYTHING GOES info, DR MATTH.  I think I may have to check the movie out, flaws and all.

DR GEORGE thanks for the Melissa Manchester update and photos.  Yup she is a terrific singer and songwriter.  Her pop tune of about 20 years ago, I forget the title, is a great record!  I still have the 45 record somewhere.  Used it in several classes and choreographed a sharp routine to it for a teen girl dance group.  Lots of fun!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »

And the word of the day is: FLAPJACK!
Sounds like a good idea for dinner.  (After the fancy food this afternoon, something simple will go down great!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »

Good afternoon all

I slept rather late today, owing to a late night last nigth.  My best friend from college was up in Seattle to celebrate his birthday, so we went out to the clubs, which I haven't done in about a year.  We hit a popular gay club, and had a great time.  But I'd forgotten one of the distinct downsides to clubbing...waking up the next morning with the strong smell of ciggarette smoke in my hair...unseemly.  

I'm slowly working my way through the house cleaning chores for the day.  The kitchen and bathroom were in dire need of attention.  I also need do some laundry.

I so wish Jed and I could be in New York this weekend!  Sounds like all the HHW folk are having a splendid time.  

i have an annoying case of the hiccups...

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2005, 02:02:48 PM »

telegraph.co.uk/  23/03/2005

After almost 60 years, an aura of magic still surrounds Julie Andrews, our most irresistible showbiz trouper, says Sarah Crompton

Most people have strong views about Julie Andrews. They love her - or they hate her. Perhaps it says something about my friends that when they heard I was about to meet her when she came to London to see Mary Poppins on stage for the first time, they nearly all jumped around with unmitigated delight.

I'm definitely in the pro-camp. I adored Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music when I was a child, and I still enjoy watching them with my children. Having met their star, now almost 70, the magic persists: Andrews is so unfailingly, punctiliously courteous it is hard not to warm to her.

But there is steel there, too: the strong backbone of a girl on stage since childhood; a firm determination not to disappoint. So, last week, when she swept into the Prince Edward Theatre, she was regal and smiling. This was the theatre where she had her first starring role at the age of 12 as the egg in Humpty Dumpty. Fifty seven years later, people had given an astonishing £600,000 to charity to be in the same auditorium as her, and she was going to put on a great show once again.

"Oh wow, it's Mary Poppins," said a child lucky enough to see her heroine's arrival in glittering black and a battery of flash bulbs. "You wanna see the real Mary Poppins. Well, there she is," said another fan, hugging her daughter close to share the magic.

The words I scribbled in my notebook at that moment were "What a trouper!" because Julie Andrews definitely belongs to that showbiz tradition where chorus girls go out as nobodies and come back as stars and where the show must always go on.

At the end of the gala performance, as the new Mary Poppins (Laura Michelle Kelly) flew away, she smiled at the original sitting below her. "That was the moment that got to me," Andrews told me afterwards. But five minutes later she was on stage herself, giving a witty and gracious speech about a fantastic evening and batons being passed to a new generation.

It had been, she said "Supercali…" and she signed, just as the cast had done early in the show, the letters for the famous superlative. And then, she sang, joining in a prearranged chorus of "It's a jolly holiday…" There was barely a dry eye in the house. What a trouper!

Because, of course, Julie Andrews can't really sing any more. That staggering, clear-as-a-bell, four-octave voice vanished in a botched operation in 1997. Now, she says, she has "about five" bass notes left.

"There is huge regret and sadness I can't sing," she told me. "I wish with all my heart that I could. I miss the deep, deep pleasure of singing with an orchestra."

When she consoles herself with the thought that this happened to her at a time when "I might not be singing as much anyway" you can't help feeling that such comfort has been hard-won. Yet the instinct to pick yourself up and start all over again is also part of the showbiz tradition in which she grew up.

Much of her taste seems conditioned by her affection for those vaudeville days. She roars with surprisingly raucous laughter when recounting her favourite line from The Producers: "The first rule is never put your money in the show. The second is NEVER PUT YOUR MONEY IN THE SHOW."

Her favourite Sondheim musical is A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, which is essentially a vaudeville pastiche. Her favourite song in Mary Poppins is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious "because it was knock-down, drag-out vaudeville, and for me nothing like it had ever been done and it was fun to do, fun to be silly and just kick up our heels."

When she finally gets around to writing her long-promised autobiography, she wants to concentrate on the early days when she worked with everyone from Max Wall to Max Bygreaves. She was 12 when she scored her first big success - "this adult voice in a kid" - in a revue called Starlight Roof. Since then, she has never really stopped working, finding success on Broadway in The Boyfriend, My Fair Lady and Camelot - and then launching into films with Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.

It is an extraordinary trajectory and the toughness of her days as a child star must have lent her the strength to keep up with the opportunities offered to her. This is particularly true of Mary Poppins. It was her first film, and, if you watch the extras on the new DVD released to mark its 40th anniversary, what you see is a smiling girl sitting on piles of crates, surrounded by black screens, waiting around for the animators to be happy everything was perfect.

"It was," she told me, "the best acting lesson and the best lesson about film you could ever have had. It taught me the virtue of patience which you really need on any movie - and it was jolly difficult to pretend to be looking at a penguin when there was nothing there."

The thing she found hardest, she says, was the heat. "We rehearsed under a black tarpaulin on the back lot. It was meant to give us shade… but the heat in the San Fernando Valley was searing. We all trimmed up and sweated out so much, it got us into great shape. But the heat for me was really telling - quite an ordeal."

What she doesn't mention, until I ask her about it, was that she had just had a baby with her first husband Tony Walton, a daughter who was only three months old when they started shooting. She must have been exhausted. But that's not how she remembers it: "She'd come on the set, and I'd do some feeding. It was dear. It was a very happy time."

That anecdote tells you a lot of what you need to know about Julie Andrews. She is sweet - and she is very strong. She is one of the finest products of a British showbiz tradition that made them that way. And we are not going to see her like again.

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »

Der Brucer is feeling conflicted.  He knows we've got certain shows he wants to tape, so we can watch them later.  (Including Desperate Housewives, still catching up from season one there but don't worry about spoilers, chat away.)  But he's not entirely sure what show comes on at what time; the TV logs aren't all giving the same information.

So he was "overjoyed" when I told him there's a new ep of Iron Chef America tonight...not!  (At least it's one show we both enjoy.   ;D)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2005, 02:11:21 PM »

...i have an annoying case of the hiccups...
Isn't "an annoying case of the hiccups" redundant?  They're even annoying when someone else has them!   :o

"Breathe in a paper sack" vibes for Ann!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(hic)~~~~~~~~[/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2005, 02:22:04 PM »

My only problem with Sunday night recording decisions is the usual NFL runover that delays COLD CASE and thus keeps me from seeing the show at all until football goes away in January (except for those very few weekends that CBS doesn't have a late afternoonNFL contest.).

But I have three shows to watch at 9 and now that I will continue to check out EXTRAS for at least two more episodes, two shows at 10. (EXTRAS actually comes on at 10:30 after CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.)

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2005, 02:22:48 PM »

And now, I, like DR Ann, will adjourn to do my Sunday chore: cleaning the bathroom. Ugh!

WBBL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2005, 02:42:17 PM »

DR SWW sometimes I use Yahoo TV listings which seems to keep up with time and schedule changes - EXcite TV listing are also up to date.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »

Michael York was supposed to be at the Courts show yesterday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2005, 02:43:18 PM »

I saw Nancy Kulp on PASSIONS Friday while flipping through the channels.  At least I thought I saw Nancy Kulp.  Turns out it was Leigh Taylor-(not so) Young.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2005, 03:03:58 PM »

More pictures, please.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2005, 03:07:43 PM »

Hello all!  Just two days until Danise  the Vixter & will be touring  Central Park!! New York look out!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »

~~~VIBES~~~~

for dear reader  Michael Shayne I hope your back feels better soon.

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »

~~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~~~~~~~
for dear BK
  I hope it fixes whatever needs fixing

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »

Thanks for all the HHW pictures.

It sounds like everyone is having a very good time

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »

Well I am off to make some dinner before bring the Vixter to her Youth Group meeting

Later all!

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »

Almost forgot!

~~~~~Traveling Vibes~~~~

for the rest of our traveling HHWers

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »

Personal Message to FLJ

Less than fifty posts to godhood

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »

a lull

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2005, 04:37:56 PM »

The Duke:  Stagecoach, The Searchers, The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, True Grit,  Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Without Reservations.

Shame on those who dismiss John Wayne.

Matth, I've since Circus World.  Far from Duke's finest hour.
I can certainly live with the shame.  
There are people who like Adam Sandler movies too.

Value Judgements.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2005, 04:44:21 PM »

John Wayne movies I usually don't like - but there are some movies with John Wayne (mentioned in my previous post) that I do like.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »

Of course after a certain point....everything he was in WAS a John Wayne movie.  Kind of like an Elvis Presley movie or a Sandra Dee movie or a Doris Day movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2005, 04:45:25 PM »

We need more pictures!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up