Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SHEMAN HEMSLEY  (Read 25279 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:SHEMAN HEMSLEY
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2005, 08:37:15 AM »

John Wayne?

THE QUIET MAN
THE SEARCHERS
MCCLINTOCK
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2005, 09:16:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Overcast out.  Thanks to all those who are sending excellent vibes and xylophones and keep 'em coming for a few days, won't you?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »

Just watched the end of THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE and I couldn't believe how different Stella Stevens looks in that film than her earlier films. I think she's just not wearing as much makeup. She's still quite beautiful, but just completely different looking.

Jason

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2005, 09:44:32 AM »

Mornin', all. Or is it afternoon? Anywho, I'm up, I'm up! I didn't get to bed until after 5:00 this morning, so to be up so "early" is quite a shock.

I don't know from John Wayne movies. My mother would be so ashamed. She loves them.

I might just hie myself into the Square of Times and have myself some pizza with our out-of-town visitors...I'm still trying to figure out my financial situation for the next week or so. We'll see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2005, 10:14:35 AM »

Lovely photos!!  From BOTH coasts.

Good vibes to Mr BK for his annoyances and for MS for his back.  ouch!

DR MBARNUM glad you got to meet BDJ - and go for ALTAR BOYZ - I think you might like it, since you can't see Wild Women of Wongo.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »

TOD:

Red River, The Quiet Man, The Searchers - it would be hard to choose a favorite among that trio.....but if I HAD to, it would be THE SEARCHERS.

I also like NORTH TO ALASKA, some funny scenes and Capucine and Fabian and Stewart Granger, and a nice theme sung by Johnny Horton.

True Grit - I love the Elmer Bernstein score.  The High and the Mighty and Stagecoach.

Hmmmm....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2005, 10:19:27 AM »

DR RODZINSKI - yes Stella Stevens WITHOUT makeup would be quite a change.

If you want to impress DRMBARNUM this afternoon, mention any movie starring Miss June Kenney.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2005, 10:22:43 AM »

DR MATTH was talking about the Bing Crosby-Donald O'Conner movie ANYTHING GOES last night.  I saw it on TV MANY years ago, and was a bit disappointed, although I liked the ocean liner settings.  

Wonder if I want to see it again?  Was it in any stereo mode, DRMATTH?

I watched Bing and Fred Astaire in BLUE SKIES Friday night and enjoyed it.  A huge three million dollar Paramount DeLuxe production.  The color on the DVD was wonderful and I liked the song and dance.  Crosby certainly had an audience friendly screen persona.

Bing:  I saw your show last night.
Fred:  Did you enjoy it?
Bing:  Well to tell the truth, I thought you were on a bit too long....

LOL....

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »

If you want to impress DRMBARNUM this afternoon, mention any movie starring Miss June Kenney.

Or take off your shirt ;D
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2005, 11:08:54 AM »

"The Stephen Sondheim Album" (Is that the one where he sings "Giants in the Sky"?, etc., etc, etc..)... OH - maybe I'm thinking of "Out There" on "The Stephen Schwartz Collection")....

You're right on the SS Album, but missed on the Schwartz.

Brian sings "In What Ever Time We Have" from a show with with you are probably not familiar, "Children of Eden".

"Out Thre" is sung by Jason Daniely

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2005, 11:16:17 AM »

Seems that ANYTHING GOES marked the end of Crosby's Paramount contract.  Lots of movies and lots of money for both sides.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »

Alleged;y from the Baltimore Sun showing dogs rescued from the Gulf on s rescur flight north.

The caption read:

""Excuse me...where is that flight attendant???  We ordered our treats a half hour ago!"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2005, 11:23:51 AM »

DR MBarnum - So glad you got to meet and talk with Brian D'Arcy James.  He really is a nice guy - and, as you mentioned, quite a looker.  -And if you haven't heard him sing yet... just ask DR elmore, I'm sure he may have a few discs around his apartment (Titanic OCR, "The Stephen Sondheim Album" (Is that the one where he sings "Giants in the Sky"?, etc., etc, etc..)... OH - maybe I'm thinking of "Out There" on "The Stephen Schwartz Collection")....

-Sorry, BK, for mixing up "your" CDs.

;)

Brian D'Arcy James was in the production of Follies in Seattle in 1995 with Karen Morrow and Judy Kaye!  He played one of the young guys...Ben or Buddy, I can't remember which.  But I remember that he and the whole cast were quite good.  I loved seeing that show!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2005, 11:35:15 AM »

The Duke:  Stagecoach, The Searchers, The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, True Grit,  Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Without Reservations.

Shame on those who dismiss John Wayne.

Matth, I've since Circus World.  Far from Duke's finest hour.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2005, 11:35:22 AM »

Well, the Washington Center (where I ushered for the fabulous Melissa Manchester last night) is having their 20th anniversary celebration today, and I'm ushering again...actually, it's more like crowd control.  The entire event is free and there will be local performing groups performing all day long.  They even have a 20 foot cake!  All events and cake and beverages (non-alcoholic, I assume) are free!  So, I'm off again. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2005, 11:52:14 AM »

Matth, I've since Circus World.  Far from Duke's finest hour.

When I was a kid, I was always allowed to be dropped off at movies I wanted to see and left on my own; well, as it happened, there was a double feature of some horror movie (probably a Hammer rerelease) and CIRCUS WORLD.  I walked out of CIRCUS WORLD and spent the rest of my afternoon and pocket money at the five and dime up the street. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2005, 12:10:11 PM »

Who here ever saw CIRCUS WORLD? I always thought it would be an entertaining change of pace for John Wayne, but it didn't get very good reviews.

Oh, thank you Matt H., I forgot about CIRCUS WORLD.  I love that movie, but I am definately in the minority.  I liked it much better than THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2005, 12:43:06 PM »

Hatari definately has one of the best opening sequences ever filmed (and some of Mancini's best music).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2005, 12:48:20 PM »

GET WELL VIBES TO ALL WHO NEED THEM!!
Cheers!

Julie Andrews' voice of experience
Her directorial debut, 'The Boy Friend' at the DuPont Theatre, echoes her Broadway debut in that play 51 years ago

30 Sep 05 - delawareonline.com

By CHRISTOPHER YASIEJKO / The News Journal

Fifty-one years ago, a 19-year-old British actress named Julie Andrews introduced herself to Broadway audiences. She played the part of Polly Browne in "The Boy Friend," which Sandy Wilson wrote as a playful sendup of 1920s musical comedies. She already was a polished vocalist, but the role advanced Andrews' rise to stardom.

She had an Oscar in her future -- the title role in "Mary Poppins" earned her the 1964 Academy Award for best actress. With the 1971 publication of "Mandy," she began a second (and still thriving) career in children's books. And long after her part in "The Sound of Music" garnered another Oscar nomination, Andrews in 1995 returned to Broadway with "Victor/Victoria."

These days, younger generations are most likely to recall her performances in "The Princess Diaries" (2001), "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" (2004) and as the voice of Queen Lillian in the 2004 animated film "Shrek 2."

But here, in a small but striking opera house built in 1876 on the sleepy banks of the Connecticut River, Andrews once again is reinventing herself. This time, she is a director, and she knows her first play well.

In 1954, she played Polly, an English heiress who must deal with the social fallout when she falls for the delivery boy while at a finishing school on the French Riviera. In 2003, she directed "The Boy Friend" on a smaller scale at the Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor, N.Y. It went well, and here she is, preparing for a national tour that stops first in Wilmington, with shows today through Oct. 9.

The plot and the set are simple but enchanting, a nod to the style that dominated musicals in the '20s, and anyone willing to suspend his or her disbelief for two hours is likely to leave the DuPont Theatre feeling thoroughly warm, fuzzy and at ease.

"There's a lot of sweet inanity that goes on," she says. "In this show you could play it for camp and some might enjoy that, but for me, a play that knows it's being camp is the kiss of death. So therefore I decided to have those campy moments played as real as possible."

Her version of the play, she says, splits the difference between the original London direction of Vida Hope, whose vision for "The Boy Friend" was as a tribute to the era, and the early Broadway direction of Cy Feuer, who presented it as a spoof.

"I don't think today's younger audience," Andrews says, "would even know what 1920s musicals were like."

She has "perhaps a tiny bit more confidence" than during her 2003 go-round. As a director, she describes herself as "very green," an appraisal similar to that which she gave herself when she played the part of Polly in 1954. She notes a significant difference between her Broadway and directorial debuts: "In those days, all I had to worry about was me."

Now she helps the members of her cast hone their approaches to speaking and singing, which, because of a surgery in 1997 to remove noncancerous nodes from her vocal chords, the once versatile Andrews no longer can revisit to the extent she'd like.

Of her potential strengths when she considered directing, Andrews says, "I realized that I can bring a big emphasis on the music and, in particular, the lyrics." When she guides a member of her cast through a song, she teaches them to "add the subtleties that I feel it can take" -- hold it a bit on the words "fancy free," for example, in the song of the same name. She tells them to treat the lyrics with "loving, teasing affection."

When she takes "The Boy Friend" to the DuPont Theatre today, Andrews transfers her production from a theater that seats 398 people to one that seats 1,251. The intimacy of Goodspeed allowed her to absorb the aisles as extensions of the stage. Actresses at one point thumped beach balls from one aisle to another, over the heads of audience members.

"There may not be access to the audience in the same way," she says of the DuPont Theatre, "so I may have to change that."

The cast of 16 dancing singers expands in Wilmington to 18, and the eight-piece orchestra adds two musicians.

Andrews is in Wilmington to kick off the show's tour, and the timing is such that, on Saturday, she'll celebrate her 70th birthday while in town. She says she understands Target, the tour's sponsor, has planned a party in her honor, "and I have a hunch that [husband] Blake [Edwards] has got something up his sleeve."

Much like the play she describes as "time suspended in a perfect little world," Andrews seems active and happy.

"I just think that I'm the luckiest woman alive," she says, "to be able to play in these little sandboxes."

Jessica Grové, who plays the role Andrews took to Broadway, told a reporter at The Wall Street Journal that the initial awe several cast members felt toward Andrews soon subsided -- "[A]fter a few days," she is quoted as having said, "she was just Julie, our director."

And, of course, Andrews prepares differently than she did when she stood in the spotlight.

"You think a lot," she says, "and you lie awake at night a lot. When you ingest a lot, thoughts come unbidden."

"I'm sure the more I do, the harder it will become."

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2005, 01:07:25 PM »

Brian D'Arcy James was in the production of Follies in Seattle in 1995 with Karen Morrow and Judy Kaye!  He played one of the young guys...Ben or Buddy, I can't remember which.  But I remember that he and the whole cast were quite good.  I loved seeing that show!! ;D

I would have loved, loved, LOVED to have seen this production!

François de Paris

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2005, 01:08:13 PM »

Alleged;y from the Baltimore Sun showing dogs rescued from the Gulf on s rescur flight north.

The caption read:

""Excuse me...where is that flight attendant???  We ordered our treats a half hour ago!"

The flight attendant had a problem: hot dogs were on the menu!

François de Paris

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2005, 01:09:17 PM »

John Wayne?... the airport?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »

Yes, DR JRand, Paramount has fitted ANYTHING GOES with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (the original mono is there, too), and it sounds wonderful. Not as overpowering as the DD 5.1 that Warners fitted out for SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, but less bombastic and perfectly pleasant to listen to. It's the movie that's a stiff.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2005, 01:13:34 PM »

The thing I remember most about HATARI is that everyone smokes and smokes and smokes. Amazing how perfectly ordinary and natural smoking at all times was back in those days: at meals, in bed, in just about any context.

And then you hear the rattle in Wayne's voice in ROOSTER COGBURN and THE SHOOTIST, and it sends a chill through the heart.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »

Der Brucer and I had a wonderful time at the Chef's Brunch today.  Our friend Charles Davidson, from Cafe Zeus, served up grilled lamb chops that had been seasoned with rosemary, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and a few other spices.  Delish, and all gone in less than two hours, they were that popular.

There was a Duck Leg "Tortelloni" from the Toscana Kitchen and Bar in Wilmington, another delightful dish.  Unlike another duck dish, a quesadilla served jerk style which totally buried the flavor of the duck, the tortelloni (presumably titled because they were much larger than a tortellini) tasted wonderfully of duck.  It was served with a triple cream goat cheese sauce and a sprinkle of candied pecans.

There was a roasted corn and lobster bisque, from the new Fins Fish House that der B really liked.  It's going to be hard to replicate at home, though, since the chef's recipe in the souvenier book calls for four 1 1/2 pound live lobsters and six cups of heavy cream.  We'll have to head over to the restaurant some time this winter to try out their other wares.

The Dogfish Head brewery had some of their premium vodkas to sample, along with their award-winning beers.  We both enjoyed their raspberry vodka, served in a small dark chocolate shot cup from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory - definately the right way to sample such a sip.

Sad to say, the Genseng Chicken from Confucious Restaurant was underwhelming.  The chicken was fine, but the genseng broth was nothing special.

For some reason, two dishes involved coffee, at tables that were right next to each other.  The Blue Water Grill had Java Rubbed Salmon (with cucumber wasabi creme fraiche), while the Atlantic Seafood Company served a Coffee-Rubbed Pork Loin (with pineapple-mango salsa).  Both were quite good, but they seemed in competition when sampled back to back.

And there were wines to be sampled, and a Bloody Mary bar (hosted by the Blue Moon) and a Martini bar (hosted by one of the region's liquor wholesalers).

All and all, a good time was had.  But I do have to wonder how it is that, on my day off, when I'd think I'd be keeping off my feet as much as I can, we ended up at an event that was so stand-up as this one!

(I'm still looking forward to Wednesday...and, if you get a chance, DRJose, could you send me one of those questionaires?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2005, 01:18:35 PM »

FInished A CHORUS LINE this afternoon. Again, let me say how ironic that such a disapppointing movie has been fitted out with such a sterling transfer in both picture and sound.

There was also a documentary on the DVD with Marvin Hamlisch talking about his longtime desire to be a Broadway composer and some other fairly interesting tidbits about writing the score for the show.

At one point in the documentary, he mentioned the two new songs for the movie, and then they showed brief clips from them. One of the new songs was listed as "Who Am I Anyway?" that Paul sings at the end of "I Hope I Get It." Of course, the person making the documentary must have been totally ignorant of the original show as that little melody has always been a part of the show. "Let Me Dance for You" was the (mostly) new song that the documentarian forgot to mention. Sheesh!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »

John Wayne?... the airport?
Hey, the John Wayne Airport is a pretty good facility.  It's just too far away from Los Angeles.  (But then, the region it serves is pretty far away from Los Angeles, too.)

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2005, 01:23:15 PM »

After A CHORUS LINE wrapped up, I too RED RIVER off the to-watch shelf and started watching it. I've had this disc for a long, long time, and this disc must have been put out near the beginning of the DVD revolution as the transfer comes from a fairly unimpressive master. I've seen RED RIVER look better than this DVD.

I watched about 30 minutes of it, but the mediocre picture and sound was kind of a turn-off. I left it in the player, and I may go back and watch a little more of it tonight before regular network TV kicks in.

I can see why Montgomery Clift made such a huge impression on audiences of the day. He has real star quality and despite being so much smaller and slighter than John Wayne, stands his ground and keeps audience interest in him just as much as Wayne does.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2005, 01:26:13 PM »

When I turned RED RIVER off, I flipped on the DVR and watched the two shows I had recorded earlier in the week: REUNION and THE OFFICE.

For REUNION, another of the six original teenagers was shown alive in the present which now means either the rich guy, the movie star, or unwed mother was the friend who was killed. For some reason, I thought this was the episode that was going to reveal the identity of the victim. I was misinformed.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2005, 01:28:04 PM »

THE OFFICE had sexual harrassment in the workplace as its premise this week, and it was truly un-PC which means it was insulting but funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up