Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 150,000 POSTS  (Read 19512 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
150,000 POSTS
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:12:49 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what we're celebrating and how we're celebrating, so now it is time for you to post until the celebrating cows come home - they'll be here as soon as we reach our next plateau.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 12:08:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:150,000 POSTS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 12:15:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: TROGLODYTE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 12:17:11 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:26:17 AM »

Michiko says Hello to you, dear BK.
We are going to shopping now. Bye- bye.

Stop IBIKI tonight.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 01:13:03 AM »

Well it is 4 AM  EST... I woke up suddenly and can't get back to sleep... what to do, what to do... may as well check HHW  and see if the new plateau has been reached

yes, reached and surpassed.  Congratulations BK!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 01:15:14 AM »

Thanks for the picyures and teh sweet words dear MBarnum.

I hasten to add that dispite tge fact that Magnolia does indeed make the most scrumcilicious banana pudding in the world, I did NOT eat that entire container myself but shared it around.

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 01:17:17 AM »

MBarnum, I like your new outfit...
and we need more NYC oictures.  Surely you took some in Little India

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 01:18:47 AM »

MBarnum, is Freddie a Himalayan?  He appears to have the points of a Siamese but seems to be long haired from that photo.

I always wanted a Himalayan

vixmom

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 01:19:58 AM »

Danise I am glad to hear you arrived home safe and sound.  I hope you come to New York again soon  and allow me to sharea nother day exploring with you.  You are a real sweetheart.

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 01:21:41 AM »

Jose I am glad you enjoyed your hostess gift,  were you truly suprised? I was afraid you'd notice all the whispering and scheming in ranks as you led us through the streets.

vixmom

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 01:25:06 AM »

Well I must try and get back to s;leep. I ahve a big day starting in about four hours.. I shall be E & T all day

9 AM Church service
10:45 teaching Sunday School
1:00 PM  Baptism followed by Baptism party
7:00 PM the Vixter's church Youth Group Pancake Beakfast Parent meeting

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 01:56:49 AM »

Almost 11 here... looks like everyone on the Mainland has gone beddie-bye. I saw two movies tonight: 40 Year Old Virgin (my mom woulda laughed her head off!!!) and In Her Shoes. Liked 'em both. Boy, oh boy, Shirley MacLaine!!! It was a swell evening - I haven't been to a movie in months. Then a great Tuna Melt at Marco's in Kahului. I recommend it!! love yuz. p
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 01:58:09 AM »

So, blathering here to myself, I bid me buona notte. Off to bed (and maybe a Sherlock Holmes movie to lull me to sleep...)
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 02:40:04 AM »

Glad you made it home safely, DR DANISE.

HMMM.....I have found two PF connections and two TFNM connections, but can't find the third.  And it is so late.

Good luck to someone else!  Maybe I will try again, when the sun comes up!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 03:06:38 AM »

DR Vixmom and I have a similkar problem. Hopefully she got back to sleep. After waking up at 4 a.m. and not being able to get OLIVER! tunes out of my head, I struggled until 5:30 trying to fall back asleep, and have just given up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 03:07:59 AM »

Sorry to have been so E&T yesterday, but I do have a houseguest (hopefully still sleeping peacefully) and we were busy from mid afternoon yesterday until we both retired to our separate bedrooms about 12:30 a.m.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 03:10:40 AM »

OLIVER! was so badly directed and so feebly choreographed that I felt bad for some of the talented singing actors on stage, trapped in a sinking ship of a show.

The physical production was quite wonderful actually, and I appreciated some of the singing voices enough to have made the evening not a total washout.

But it won't go down as one of the more memorable OLIVER!s that I've seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 03:11:31 AM »

Otherwise, we have a briskly cool morning here, and hopefully the rain we've had for the last three days is behind us. Time will tell.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 03:12:18 AM »

TOTD:  As a student, English classes always. As a teacher I enjoyed my Business Management and Accountancy classes most.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 03:24:44 AM »

I wanted to address Elmore's comment yesterday about the comment I made taken from the book about Rock Hudson's agent Henry Willson who tried in vain twice (1948-1949) to get Rock signed to an MGM contract.

Elmore wrote:

"Then how did Van Johnson, Charles Walters and several others get through the MGM doors?"

Van Johnson was hired during the war when most of MGM's star players were overseas. As leading men were in such short supply during that time, MGM, like other studios, made the most they could with what they had. You will notice, however, that they insisted that he marry, so his dear best friend Keenan Wynn and his wife Edie arranged for Keenan and Edie to divorce and Van to marry Edie. (Keenan, being a character actor, didn't have the same necessity for appearances as a leading man did.) That was as much an arranged match as the one Henry Willson cooked up for Rock with his secretary Phyllis Gates.

Rock's attempts to get signed at MGM happened after the war when there was an influx of handsome men ready for the star system makeover. Van just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Charles Walters was a dancer/choreographer when he was hired and was never on the fast track for movie stardom. MGM, of course, had many homosexuals working behind the scenes from directors like George Cukor to music men like Roger Edens and Conrad Salinger to costume designers like Walter Plunkett. They didn't seem to have a problem with gays behind the scenes.

The comment was specifically designed to say that MGM's casting agents were homophobic about signing men they know upfront to be gay. Louis B. Mayer's aversion to homosexuals has been well documented. Mayer was still in control of the studio in 1948-49.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2005, 03:30:43 AM »

I watched BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES III yesterday with my friend Gregg. (He hadn't seen any of it; I saw it on PBS so was most interested in the four bonus clips.)

I had no memory of that Angela Lansbury performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses." Obviously done the year she won the Tony for GYPSY, she was in great voice (though she was lip-synching).

Loathed "The American Dream" number from MISS SIAGON just as much this time around.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 03:33:05 AM »

Yes, I'd be curious for whoever it is who has major problems with WEST SIDE STORY to let us know his objections.

I think it's one of the great movie musicals.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 03:44:44 AM »

bk, as to the ABC Movie of the Week releases on DVD, there have been many more than two.

DUEL is available. THE NIGHT STALKER and THE NIGHT STRANGLER have been available for quite a while. BRIAN'S SONG was also released a couple of years ago. I have all of these.

The book as you said did not live up to expectations. What I objected to most was its incompleteness. To give him credit, the author states upfront that it's not going to be a complete listing of the telecasts but rather his own favorites from each season. Since he's self-publishing the book, I guess that's his right. And so far he seems to have hit on all the ones I wanted to read something about however incomplete the information about the movies is.

At least it's a start. I wouldn't be so quick to assume this has ruined the market for a book of its type (only better). There have been several different volumes by different authors about the same TV series including three on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW that I'm aware of and two on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 03:52:27 AM »

I can tell you right off the bat which subject I did awful in during elementary shcool: art.

I couldn't color neatly. I couldn't draw straight lines even using a ruler. There is something about my hands and tools that just don't compute. I always struggled with the arts and crafts parts of the curriculum. And yet I played musical instruments with no trouble. Weird, I know!

English and American history were my two favorite subjects and also my best ones in both high school and college.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 05:07:05 AM »

TOD: shorthand. The only time I have ever excelled in anything. Of course, handwritten shorthand is now obselete. I also took machine shorthand -- 240 wpm (words per minute) with two people talking.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 05:07:47 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 05:09:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  I was out a bit late last night, and I'm dragging around, listening to Mozart's Great Mass in C and wondering who it is that decides something is great.  Why is this Mass "great?" Why is Schubert's Symphony No 9 "Great?"  Why am I not "great?"  Sometimes things in the musical worlds, as well as others, catch my attention.  Granted, I believe Mozsrt is the greatest in music as Jane Austen is to literature, but who was this 19th or 20th Century arbiter to decide this Mass is "great" over the other ones Mozart wrote?

And thus we land on the TOD:
I did very well in Latin, Music, Art, Math, and English classes.
I did very poorly in Chemistry, Physics, and all shop classes except for drafting, which I loved.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 05:42:15 AM »

DR Elmore - Where exactly is Artie's?  And is there a reservation to help find the group?

FJL

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 05:50:53 AM »

Topic of the day:

Elementary school - best in math, worst in Jewish history
High school - best in math, worst in World Geography
College - best in computer programming and taxes, worst in psychology
Graduate - best in urban economics (where I did my term paper on Urban Economics as a theme in Broadway musicals), relatively worst in financial statement auditing, but I got my best GPA in graduate school
Law school - best in ethics and antitrust, worst in criminal law and family law (also did shockingly poorly in an employment discrimination class)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 06:09:24 AM »

DR Elmore - Where exactly is Artie's?  And is there a reservation to help find the group?

Artie's will not seat us until everyone is there; it's on the east side of Broadway between 82nd and 83rd Streets.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 06:39:32 AM »

I once tried to row my boat ashore, but it sank before I could get there.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up