Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IAMB WHAT IAMB  (Read 19476 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IAMB WHAT IAMB
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are bursting with iambs, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently writing cow poetry in iambic pentameter and, frankly, they're having a high old time doing it.  One cow just wrote something so brilliant - The quality of moocy is not strained.  I tell you, those cows never cease to amaze me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:09:15 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IAMB WHAT IAMB
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: ABALONE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:31:58 AM »

The last movie I saw in a cinema was "War Of The Worlds". It had no lasting effect!  the H G Wells story was very much in background to give the human interest and "journey" aspect more weight - but who did you really care about anyway?
The "musical" version by Jeff Wayne is far more enjoyable and atmospheric.

Next movie I see will be "Howl's Moving Castle" which has opened to somewhat mixed reviews here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:34:36 AM »

"Abalone" is very much linked to crime in this country.
I have seen Bizet's opera "The Abalone Fishers" from which you walked away whistling John Truscott's design.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 12:42:34 AM »

The Everly Brothers had a hit song in 1962 about Iambic.
"How Can I Metre?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 12:42:54 AM »

I was channeling DtM.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:47:35 AM »

Can't wait for your report on Howl's Moving Castle, which I'm very much looking forward to seeing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 12:48:12 AM »

Jed and George, sitting in a tree, not P-O-S-T-I-N-G.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 12:54:15 AM »

A few the critics said the story was not that easy to follow. Guess they had to think for a change. It was very well received at the Melbourne Film Festival (Standing Ovation which is not usual at all).
It is the first of such movies to have a cinema release here.  I'm still waiting for a DVD release of "My Neighbour Totoro" The amazon information is very odd!
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 12:54:58 AM »

That George - he's here, doesn't post a whit in iambic pentameter, and then just disappears like a gazelle eating a snow cone.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 12:56:24 AM »

Disappears??  Where did I go?  I didn't go anywhere!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 12:57:02 AM »

And I haven't eaten anything since about 5:15 p.m. last night (no snow cone, here) and I'm pretty hungry.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:57:12 AM »

Jed and George, sitting in a tree, not P-O-S-T-I-N-G.

First of all, I'm not posting because I'm catching up.  Secondly, I'm also not posting because I'm recovering and recouperating from last evening.  It was a very long show and an even longer day.

George

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 01:00:30 AM »

So, I had to get to the theater this morning at 9:00, we had a break from 1 until 2 p.m., then we finished all of the pre-show stuff at 3:30.  Very boring but not too easy.  All of the costumes were upstairs in the "Black Box" next door, but we had to take them all downstairs by hand.  We couldn't bring the gondolas (the carts that store the clothes and other theater stuff) downstairs because there wasn't enough room.  If there had been, the gondolas would have been lowered down to the green room (which is right under the stage) by the orchestra pit.  It can be raised all the way to the stage level and be lowered all the way down to the green room level.  Pretty cool!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:01:07 AM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 01:01:37 AM »

Now those are POSTS.  That's what I'M talkin' about.

Jed

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »

As for me, I'm having myself a little bit of late night potato salad.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 01:06:38 AM »

Is late night potato salad a euphemism for "Ann"?

And who in tarnation IS thespotlessmike?  Whoever, welcome to our world.

George

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:25 AM »

When we got back to the theater at 5:30 (which is an early call, compared to other shows that I've worked on), we had to iron and steam most of the clothes, make sure that all of the break-away clothes (for the strip at the end of the show) were snapped properly and that everything was where it was supposed to be.  During the show, I helped three people change clothes...mostly just getting their costumes to the change area and then removing the stuff that they took off.  I also helped the woman who played Jeanette change into one outfit (shirt, jacket and jewelry only ;)).

Jed

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »

Is late night potato salad a euphemism for "Ann"?

Perhaps if she weren't sound asleep.  I'll try out the new nickname tomorrow, though.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 01:13:48 AM »

During the course of the evening, I really didn't get to see too much. ::) A couple of near-naked bums (they had red THONGS on!)

As far as the scene at the end when they do the actual "Full Monty" (yes, they were all completely naked!), those of us who held their white robes that they put on afterwards for the finale were told to raise the robes in front of our faces and we had...no, we were commanded to look down.  The costume woman (Liz) never saw them naked and we weren't allowed to, either.  Let me tell you, most of the guys were definitely worth looking at! ;) And no, I didn't peek...as much as I wanted. ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:14:53 AM by George »

George

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 01:17:33 AM »

They were all very nice guys and gals.  Except for the one change with Jeanette , I never worked with any of the women.  And I never met Jason's friend, Tommy.  I didn't get his costume track (and I didn't even think to ask if I could...dopey me).  I did see his picture at his dressing room area and saw him in the green room, but I was never un-busy enough to at least say hi.  Oh, well.  Maybe there'll be a next time.

George

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 01:23:04 AM »

So, after our break, we worked until midnight and were finally able to leave.  The problem with working five hours of lifing and walking up and down and up and down stairs without stopping or even sitting, and then having to sit for an entire half hour, your body doesn't want to get up.  And the pain sets in.  If we had just been able to work until we were done (the Washington Center is trying to go union and they go by union rules so we had to take a break), then we never would have felt the pain that our bodies were being subjected to.  But that half hour made it all flood in. :P The last hour was terrible.  I was hobbling along (but working as hard as I could) and was tremendously glad to get to my car and drive home.  MY home.  I'm also done with house-sitting. ;D

George

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 01:27:19 AM »

I do wish I could have seen the show from the audience...and have seen more from backstage. ;)

And now, I must get to sleep.  I have to go to work tomorrow, but I should be fine by the morning.  I'm going to take some pain reliever before I go to bed (I should have taken it as soon as I got home).  So, goodnight, all!

George

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 01:28:30 AM »

Now that's[/i] a frenzy! ;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 03:05:43 AM »

I can't remember the last recent movie I saw.  Isn't that deplorable?  Ah...Forty-Year Old Virgin.  Which I found amusing and nice two-hour time-killer.

BK, I'm currently listening to Accu-radio's cabaret station on the internet.  As Mr. Haines' producer, have you thought of trying to get some airplay for his album on this station?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 03:53:20 AM »

The Everly Brothers had a hit song in 1962 about Iambic.
"How Can I Metre?

We are poor little iambs
Who have gone astray
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2005, 04:00:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm trying to think of a single film I saw this year, and my mind refuses to function.   I believe the last film I saw was THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED, which was quite wonderful.  The only other film I can remember is THE WEDDING CRASHERS, which made me laugh.  A lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 04:06:40 AM »

Last week I saw To Catch a Thief, the week before I saw Mildred Pierce and the week before that I saw All About Eve. How's that for movies. I haven't seen a current movie in so long I can't remember what it was.

I am seeing Sweeney tonight so I will not be seeing Psycho with Anthony and Jason (and possibly Jose). They will have to fend for themselves during the shower scene.

Good Morning Lawrence! Nobody here but us fish and I'm about to be hooked by work.

Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »

Good morning, DRBen!  I'm about to run out the door for 14th Street!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up