Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIQUID SOCIETY  (Read 14592 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIQUID SOCIETY
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:06:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've had your latte triple frappacino whilst reading the notes, you've had five sips from your bottle of water, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently at Cowbuck's getting their cowfee.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:11:03 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIQUID SOCIETY
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:06:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: LUMMOX!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:09:23 AM »

Diet Pepsi that's all.

First post huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 12:10:31 AM »

Well it certainly sounds like a star-studded gala at the old Stardust Room last night!  

What did you wear, MR BK?  Was everyone dressed in his/her ritziest best?  What was the best and worst outfit last night?  You must have noticed and seen.  Did you get to walk on a red carpet?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 12:12:38 AM »

Darling Lili - I like the movie, I love the songs and score.  

Just watched the SNOW DEVILS trailer on the TCM site.  Yes, I must leave now to watch this new 1965 MGM Italian release about the frozen aliens ("from another planet?") who want to freeze the earth so that they can live on it.  I have heard of this movie, but now I MUST SEE IT.

Chaos ensues.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 12:47:57 AM »

It was more casual than dressy - people were instructed to come in their favorite piano key color - black or white.  I came in blue and gray - my gray slacks, blue shirt, and blue sport coat.  I looked quite spiffy.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 12:59:02 AM »

While most of dear readers have gotten their REWIND and have enjoyed it,  I am still waiting for my copy of the mystery book…  How far the
Kritzerland is!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 01:07:13 AM »

I like Espresso, have not usually but every time after meal at Italian restaurant.
I take at least a cup of strong Green Tea and at least one liter of Ooolong Tea and try to have at least one liter of Water every day. I live in the Liquid Society.
So I should give a lot of care not to spiling wine on my laptop...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 03:15:06 AM »

DR HISAKA has gotten her computer back from rehab!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 05:40:27 AM »

Them SNOW DEVILS was mean.  And since the movie was produced and directed by the same people and featured some of the same actors AND props and costumes - it was almost like seeing a sequel to WILD WILD PLANET!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 05:41:57 AM »

Well....today....in the newspaper, I read the Newnited States Govermint was responsible for the breaking of the levees and the flooding of the certain areas of New Orleans.  Yes, it was a conspiracy.  And this from no less a personage than Mr Spike Lee.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 05:44:45 AM »

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK.  I like David Straitharn and Robert Downey, Jr.....I am just afraid that Mr George Clooney has taken this important piece of television news and American history and turned it into a left wing slam on the current administration.

I hope I am wrong.  George Clooney isn't Rob Reiner after all.

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 05:55:03 AM »

Wow, last night's flurry of late-nite postings and reviews was indeed fascinating.  Even though it was a slow news day in terms of number of postings, what's there was choice. (A Hepburn reference)

Topic of the day:

I just have one cup of coffee in the morning, but with lots of milk, so I guess it's sort of a latte or cafe au lait.  But usually that's it, except for a decaf something or other at times to be social.  

But I've become an iced tea addict, and was thrilled when Skip discovered the Crystal Light diet iced tea mix.  Life's little pleasures.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 05:56:28 AM »

No Powerball Winner yesterday.  Still hope for us in Wednesday's drawing!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 05:58:03 AM »

MR BK - I have some friends who are belly dancers - and it is interesting to see.  If it's not too far to drive - it is amazing what body control and training will allow someone to do.

You might like it.  

Since when are piano keys blue and gray?  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 06:31:45 AM »

Good morning, all!  After all the check nonsense and the cancellation of my plans yesterday, I spent the evening sulking and feeling sorry for myself,  It was neither productive nor rewarding, but cash flow is a self-employment curse and $4400-4500, which should have arrived by Friday in two payments, is a lot of money to be floating around anywhere but where it should be, in my bank account.  My publisher has not not paid me royalties this year, which usually arrive by June, and he's been promising a royalty check since August!  I've never had a problem with him before, either, so my horoscope must be a mess at present.  Yes, I am unhappy about it and yes, I have only enough money to cover outstanding checks.

On another note (a, so we can go to D-mnor or F-major), DRJason wrote this about SWEENEY:
SWEENEY purists will not like this production. But honestly - who wants to pay $100 to see a reproduction of the original show when you can get it on DVD for $25 with the original cast!?!

I love SWEENEY TODD, but the PBS broadcast with Lansbury and Hearn is a poor facsimile of the original:  Len Carious was brilliant and gone, the trapdoors in the floor are missing, several key cast members - Betsy Joslin and Jack Eric Williams, for two - are replaced. and I believe Lansbury's brilliant performance seems broader because she's not playing to the camera but to the last row of the balcony.  The original production, with the exception of what I believe were two poor directing choices by Harold Prince. was truly one of the great experiences in my theatre-going career.

I don't necessarily want to pay $100 for a reproduction of that staging, but I do want to see a SWEENEY TODD that tells the story well, presents the music as wells as possible, and provides a bit of horror along with the laughs (whatever happened to the projected Tim Burton film plans?).  I do want to see this production, but to me it smacks of off-Broadway experimental theatre owing a debt to the CABARET revival which also began outside London's West End, and one more diminishing of a theatre orchestra:  we'll never hear Tunick's great orchestration in a Broadway theatre again.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 06:34:56 AM »

I like coffee black, no sugar. My son has introduced me to Starbucks. Going to Starbucks is one thing we do together. I find most of their specialties too sweet. So if I have one, I have them make it with half the flavor syrup. Their half-strength white chocolate mochas are good. The pumpkin ones are REALLY good. But  ususally I just order a cup of black coffee.

I live in the desert and we just a endured summer in which I was out in the heat most of the time. So, yes, I do have a bottle of water most of the time. The days I didn't I became ill.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 06:48:45 AM »

DR LAURA your pictures yesterday were lovely.  We have a few yellow leaves around the neighborhood, but I expect fall to show up suddenly this week with some reds!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 07:11:39 AM »

I don't drink coffee any more.  But we do have a tub of coffee ice cream waiting for us in our downstairs freezer.

Swilling liquids while working at the register isn't considered cool.  There really isn't much time to glug anything down, as there is often a line of customers who have a higher priority for my attention.  I'll snag a bottle of Pepsi or the like during my break, and usually only finish about half of it...just as well, since the closest restroom is way in the back of the store, an awkward state of affairs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 07:16:26 AM »

The people at Starbucks are, IMO, rude to the point that I won't go there any more.  Starbucks has become the McDonald's of coffee, located everywhere and paying as little as they can to their employees.  I've got better ways of squandering my cash, thank-you very much!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 07:17:07 AM »

DR JRand55, I am glad you got to see SNOW DEVIL'S. I set my VCR to tape it last night but alas it was set for 12:30 PM instead of AM and now I don't get to see it  >:(

I remember seeing it back in the 1970s on TV.

As for Wild Wild Planet...wait until you see War of the Planets (if TCM shows it)...it DOES have the same cast...and the same sets...in fact both movies were filmed at the same time according to my interviewee, and star of both films, Mr. Tony Russel.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »

Off to work, I must.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 07:19:46 AM »

The people at Starbucks are, IMO, rude to the point that I won't go there any more.  Starbucks has become the McDonald's of coffee, located everywhere and paying as little as they can to their employees.  I've got better ways of squandering my cash, thank-you very much!

The Starbucks at 50th and Lexington, the building that houses Tams-Witmark, has the stupidest - not rude - and slowest clerks in the City:  poor service, wrong orders, long lines, and they have a nerve to have a gratuities cup requesting tips in front of the register!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 07:20:01 AM »

Hmmmm.....that makes THREE movies!  Isn't WAR OF THE PLANETS on the 50 SCI FI MOVIES DVD's?

Michael

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 07:20:04 AM »

From yesterday regarding Frank Prather

http://www.myspace.com/badassfrank

Very straight and looks like a hip hop/street gang member.
Which I think denegrades all hip hop/street gang members.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 07:20:21 AM »

I enjoy my coffee in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon. I usually take it black.

I have water with me at all times while at work, and I try to have a bottle of water with me in the car, also. It really is a good idea to try to drink plenty of water through the day.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 07:21:19 AM »

Hmmmm.....that makes THREE movies!  Isn't WAR OF THE PLANETS on the 50 SCI FI MOVIES DVD's?

That is a different WAR OF THE PLANETS, unfortunately. Some new film of some sort.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2005, 07:21:24 AM »

I think that's a different Frank Prather, but what do I know?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2005, 07:22:04 AM »

LOL....all these movies....all these titles....

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 07:23:48 AM »

We have 3 Starbucks in the Salem downtown area...the one that I go to now and then is located inside the Safeway Grocery store...the gal that works the early morning shift is very sweet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up