Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIQUID SOCIETY  (Read 13721 times)

Michael

Re:LIQUID SOCIETY
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2005, 07:24:10 AM »

TOD
What are your favorite coffee drinks, the ones you must have?

I hate coffee and I try to avoid it. If I must have it, it must have lots of milk sweetner in it so it doesn't taste like coffe.

What are your other favorite liquid refreshments?
A diet soda of some kind. Chocoalte Milk (Lactaid variety)

Do you have to have a bottle of water at the ready fourteen hours a day?

No, but I do try to drink as much water as possible to keep the weight down. (Which I am trying to do and have recently lost some weight on the South Beach Diet)
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 07:24:55 AM »

I am listening to the DR Rodzinski recommended CD of THE KIRBY STONE FOUR....swingin' man, swingin!

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 07:26:22 AM »

Jack Randall Earles, are you up early or have you not yet gone to bed?

Michael

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 07:28:45 AM »

RE: Clinton Spilsbury.

He was so hopefully bad as The Lone Ranger (despite a huge build up) they had to dub his voice with James Keach. I believe that this is the one and only film he has ever acted in. A fast rise and a crashing fall.

But I guess he will be forever a trivia question
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2005, 07:33:42 AM »

Hey there might be enough for a whole category on Jepordy!

Klinton Spilsbury

$100 The Answer: The Lone Ranger
$200 The Answer: James Keach
$300 The Answer: He worked on the sound for this 2001 film
$400 The Answer: His father Max Spilsbury coached this football team.
$500 The Answer: Is a trivia question on the PC game.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 07:39:46 AM »

RE: Darling Lili

It was during this time that Hollywood gossip columnist Joyce Haber starting writing items about the film. Julie and her relationship with Rock and Rock and Blake Edwards and Rock, Blake and the Leather Bars in San Francisco, Julie and Blake and Rock in a menage a trois, Julie and Rock in the Leather Bars in San Francisco. (Well not really the last one. I made that one up)

Blake got his revenge when he made SOB and wrote the Loretta Switt character.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 07:42:48 AM »

Jack Randall Earles, are you up early or have you not yet gone to bed?

Didn't go to bed yet, but I will soon.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 07:54:10 AM »

Boy, you ARE a night owl! LOL!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 08:00:40 AM »

Good morning!

Gorgeous day here with crisp air and a soft breeze. Getting out this morning to run my usual Sunday errands was such a pleasure.

High is only to be 73 today, so a wonderful, wonderful day (a DePaul-Mercer reference) here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2005, 08:04:35 AM »

I don't really like coffee but like DR Michael Shayne can and will drink it if I can add Sweet'n Low and milk/creeam to it to blunt the bitterness of the coffee.

Most normally I would have a cup after a big meal at someone's home who's putting on a pot for the group. I will also brew a pot of coffee after I've cooked dinner for a group.

But on an everyday basis, I don't drink it at all, and I would NEVER, EVER spend the outrageous prices people do every day to buy specialty coffees at Starbucks.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 08:07:28 AM »

As for water, the only time I carry around a water bottle is when I'm rehearsing for a show and want to keep my throat moist while doing a lot of singing.

At home, I switch from diet soda to water usually around 6 p.m. But I drink tap water over ice, not bottled water. Our tap water here tastes perfectly fine (I understand in some places, tap water is undrinkable) so again, I can't see spending money on bottled water when what comes out of the tap is good.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 08:08:36 AM »

I am very much looking forward to seeing FINDING NEVERLAND this afternon. I have read and heard many good things about it, so I'm anxious to see it for myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2005, 08:09:58 AM »

Thanks for the report on DARLING LILI. Always loved the score but thought the spy plot of the movie was fairly dull, and it's never been one of my favorite Julie movies because of that. Still, there are entertaining sequences, and I'm THRILLED that the pieces cut from the film are still available to be seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2005, 08:11:05 AM »

I remember being bitterly disappointed that Mancini didn't win his third Best Song Oscar for "Whistling Away the Dark."

"For All We Know" won that year.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

LOTS of activity here in the apartment this morning.  Someone flying - well, being flown - off to Las Vegas for an audition.  Someone else getting ready for rehearsal.  Someone else getting ready to teach dance class this afternoon.  Breakfast, brunch, the Sunday Times, etc.  -And the stray cat just came in for his breakfast.

I Love New York.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2005, 08:26:43 AM »

I actually was planning on posting a bit more last night...  I was in the middle of my Fiddler review, but the internet connection started hiccuping, and...  Ah, well...

But now...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2005, 08:28:49 AM »

My favorite coffe drink is a mocha that I like with whipped cream and chocolate on top!  I also like the hazelnut coffee at Panera.  I drink a lot of ice tea and water during the day.  I really don't like the taste of Starbucks coffee, it's much too bitter for me, so I don't go there very often, but if that's where I need to meet someone I will drink their mocha

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2005, 08:31:22 AM »

I would love to stay and chat, but there is laundry to do and a house to clean and I should clean out the eaves on the garage. I did the house eaves yesterday, my neighbor spotted for me while I was on the ladder, he waited until I got to the top and then went off to play with his dogs.  
So glad he could help!

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2005, 08:41:56 AM »

I have some Sunday chores like laundry to get on with, and I also need to start prepping lunch.

A full afternoon of TV watching will transpire and then I shall return (a Douglas MacArthur reference).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2005, 08:43:52 AM »

So, just to catch up from last night...

As for Fiddler On the Roof

Harvey is Harvey.  Rosie is Rosie.  And, fortunately, Fiddler is still Fiddler.  It's a very solidly written show, and it takes a lot of "stuff" to diminish it's overall message and effect.  I like the production, and I found myself tearing up a couple of times.

However...  -Yes, there's always a "however"....

I think the presence of Mr. Fierstein and Ms. O'Donnell may actually work against the show in one aspect.  Despite some of their short-comings, they gave very good performances.  Unfortunately, due to their very public and recognizable personas, I felt that the audience wanted to see more of those larger-than-life personas.  They wanted the broad humor, the Funny, the schtick.  In some places in Fiddler that type of approach can work.  In others, not so much.  In some of the more touching moments in the show - especially the Chava sequence - there were giggles here and there in audience.  I felt that people thought Harvey was holding for a laugh, a punchline, when, in reality, he was just in the moment being serious.  There was one young woman in the front row, house right, who just kept laughing - and pointing(!) - at very inappropriate times.  Ugh.  Ah, well...

I still enjoyed the show.  There were a few Jerome Robbins' touches I missed - "To Life" in particular.  And I liked the staging of "Tevye's Dream", but if you're gonna put Fruma Sarah on a wire in the air, then at least have her fly!

The liked the new orchestrations by Larry Hochman, but there were a few things I missed in that regard too.  -I was lucky enough early on in my career to do three productions of Fiddler back to back with full orchestras, so it's sort of in my blood.  But, again, a very good "sweetening" and re-tooling for a smaller - but not that much smaller - pit.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »

I knew someone would come along to fix my faux pas about the video of SWEENEY. Of course I know it's not the original Broadway cast, but I was too tired to go back and fix it and I knew you all would know what I meant anyway.

Elmore: The production doesn't really have an experimental feel about it as much as it just seems very European. It's darker than the original, and that I liked. I did miss Mr. Tunick's original orchestrations from time to time (I especially missed the brass and percussion in the transition from "No Place Like London" into "Worst Pies in London"), but honestly - I rather liked the new sound. While I love the grand-ness of the original, I've always felt that SWEENEY should be a chamber piece, and now it is. After all, wasn't the play that Sondheim based the show off of a chamber play?

Like I said, the purists won't like it. LuPone is completely different than Lansbury. Cerveris is unlike any Sweeney I've seen. This production cuts some bits here and there but still manages to convey the story, though there is some question about time and location (i.e. you don't really 'get' that Anthony and Sweeney are at the docks at the top of the show), but if you actually listen to the words, you get it.

I was telling Jose and my friend last night, one of the great things about this production is, even with Patti's occassional elisionofanentirephrase, you can hear their voices and understand the lyrics without a great deal of amplification because the orchestration has been thinned out and the instruments aren't mic'ed. And if they are, well...kudos to the sound guys 'cause they sho' don't sound like it.

While I think Mssrs. Prince & Fuller's staging was absolutely wonderful, I think this is a valid production as well and felt quite natural in the O'Neill Theatre.

A lot of people chatter about how much they resent paying a lot of money to see a reproduction of so-and-so's original staging because it's just not as good as the original and where's the creativity and the like. Well, here is a valid, creative, simple and effective and very original production of a wonderful show and I have a feeling that it may not go over well with the critics - professional and arm-chair alike - because it's NOT the original. I just hope everyone gives it a fair chance.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:03:34 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2005, 08:51:44 AM »

OH!

The one thing that did drive me up the wall last night - again, mainly because of my experience and knowledge of the show - were the transpositions of a lot of the songs.  Even "Far From the Home I Love" was done at least a step down if not two, and then there were Tevye's songs...

A friend of mine played percussion in the pit for a while, and he was there when Harvey first stepped in.  A good chunk of his solos were transposed down - sometimes a step, sometimes two steps... but sometimes down a fourth!  That's quite a transposition!  -I could even detect a few octave transpositions taking place in the orchestration due to the large jump.  And in the songs that were not transposed (that much) - most of the group numbers, he would just sing the original part down an octave.  *And, sonically, that low, the words would just get lost in all the "gravel".

However, there were a few times when he sang in his upper range, and I found those moments to be quite effective.  And more understandable.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2005, 08:58:14 AM »

Topic of the Day:

I don't drink coffee at home - even though I have a coffee maker, a grinder and a bag of beans in the freezer - but I do drink it from time to time when I'm out.

I do like Starbucks, but sometimes they do get too sweet with their specialty drinks - and the price is a deterrent from time to time. *It's interesting going from neighborhood here in NYC - corner to corner, in fact - and noticing the difference in pricing from location to location.

Black.  One sugar.  Cream.  Milk.  Vanilla sugar.  Valencia (Orange) syrup I've found to be surprisingly good in my coffee.  And I've never met a Frappacino I didn't like.

*And for those DRs who say they don't like coffee, treat yourself to a nice cup of Kona - preferably brewed in a vacuum pot.  Smoooooooth.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »

Water/liquid-wise... I try to stay hydrated throughout the day.  And when I don't, I definitely feel it.  I will sometimes walk around with a water bottle, but I've never had that much of a problem with tap water/drinking fountains/etc., so there's always a source for agua nearby wherever I am.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2005, 09:02:17 AM »

And HOO and RAY!

A friend of mine just called, and he happened to have an extra ticket to this afternoon's performance of In My Life.  So...

;D

*And a very interesting article/justification/defense/explanation in today's New York Times of the whole project and man behind the project, Mr. Joe Brooks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »

Now I just need to decide whether to head down to DC tonight after the show, or just wait until tomorrow morning.  -As long as I'm at the National Theatre by 10:00 Tuesday morning...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 09:11:59 AM »

By the by, I found a loverly package waiting for me. A very kind DR got me a copy of REWIND as a gift. Many thanks to that DR and to BK. I look forward to reading it. I've already read the first few pages - I'm assuming that Ms. Liz Reilly is a reference to a certain Witch of the North, but I'm desperate to find out who Callie is IRL (In Real Life in internet lingo)...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2005, 09:13:14 AM »

I'm not sure whether I would dig this stripped down SWEENEY or not. I did not enjoy the stripped down CHICAGO. Found it drab. But Ilike the music from SWEENEY so much that, as long as it is well-performed, I would probably get caught up in it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2005, 09:16:27 AM »

MBarnum-
Check weirdomusic.com for some good downloads. There is a Bollywood film soundtrack entitled THE CRICKETER that is pretty funky.

The same guy has posted the WILD IN THE STREETS soundtrack for downloading.
Rare soundtrack afficianados will also find THE GLORY STOMPERS and 60s counterculture film YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT soundtracks for free download.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2005, 09:20:25 AM »

By the by, I found a loverly package waiting for me. A very kind DR got me a copy of REWIND as a gift. Many thanks to that DR and to BK. I look forward to reading it. I've already read the first few pages - I'm assuming that Ms. Liz Reilly is a reference to a certain Witch of the North, but I'm desperate to find out who Callie is IRL (In Real Life in internet lingo)...

Ssshhh..... icks-nay on the real-life eferences-ray.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up